Music just dropped another notch

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Music just dropped another notch

Post by Superman »

I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof." Can someone tell me when music crossed into Down Syndrome territory? Modern music has jumped the shark. That's it... I give up.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

and thus why the vast majority of music i listen to is imports.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Superman

Post by Superman »

Come to think of it, I heard it on a Pepsi commercial too, but I didn't know it was a real song...
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Re: Music just dropped another notch

Post by Hardy »

Superman wrote:I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof."
I say this in complete seriousness:

You mean the song you heard wasn't actually original? Damn my generation Y-ness.
Superman

Post by Superman »

Hardy wrote:
Superman wrote:I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof."
I say this in complete seriousness:

You mean the song you heard wasn't actually original? Damn my generation Y-ness.
Covers I can handle, but it was "IF I WERE A RICH MAN" FROM "FIDDLER ON THE FUCKING ROOF!"
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

The song's "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. Theater geeks everywhere dropped instantly into fetal position and rocked gently back and forth..
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

No no, we took up arms and went looking for the person responsible. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Superman wrote: Covers I can handle, but it was "IF I WERE A RICH MAN" FROM "FIDDLER ON THE FUCKING ROOF!"
A film I've never seen, of course. No excuse there on my part.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I've come to accept that most pop music nowadays is a joke long ago. Especially the slower-paced, softer stuff. It's completely devoid of any emotion whatsoever.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Rogue 9 wrote:No no, we took up arms and went looking for the person responsible. :P
I needed to wallow in my anguish first.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

xBlackFlash wrote:The song's "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. Theater geeks everywhere dropped instantly into fetal position and rocked gently back and forth..
Heck, I don't even consider myself a theatre geek and it caused me immsense physical pain. :x

Hooray for importing music from more artistic countries!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof." Can someone tell me when music crossed into Down Syndrome territory?
I fucking went insane when I heard that, and my gf had to hear me rant on this for like a half hour. I think I heard it on that commercial also Superman, and it's a fucking travesty what they did to one of my favorite songs from my all time favorite musical. Mother fuck. First Stefani sells out and goes from quasi-punk stuff to rap, and now rap remakes of classics, suck my balls.. all of you pop singer douchers.
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Nothing can compare to the utter horror of hearing Madonna cover "Imagine" on the Tsunami Relief telethon...

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

The song's "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. Theater geeks everywhere dropped instantly into fetal position and rocked gently back and forth..
*Rocks back and Forth* At least nobody's doing anything from the Chorus Line........ at least no one is doing anything from the Chorus Line * Rocks back and forth* .
Superman

Post by Superman »

xBlackFlash wrote:The song's "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. Theater geeks everywhere dropped instantly into fetal position and rocked gently back and forth..
Oh great, so not only did she do a fucking horrible pop version of it, she pissed all over it by changing the title and lyrics. Fuck that cunt. Thanks for contributing to the demise of music, you flat chested bitch!

Ok, I'm breathing... Sorry... I really love music and it's painful to see what's happening to it.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I am now personally hoping to high heaven that this is just her way of making sure that no intelligent person will ever buy her music ever again. She's sold out, and she's trying to make as much money as possible before the industry moves on.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Ha! Fools. I stopped listening to tripe like that when...Ja rule or P. diddy or whatever had "It's a hard knock life" Covered. I am immune.
Another example of Generation Y ness....Fiddler on the roof was a play long before a film. *sobs* :wink:
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:
*Rocks back and Forth* At least nobody's doing anything from the Chorus Line........ at least no one is doing anything from the Chorus Line * Rocks back and forth* .
Hahahaha YES!!! That wins...

I can just picture the Pop/Techno cover of "Dance, 10, Looks, 3"
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Chardok wrote:Ha! Fools. I stopped listening to tripe like that when...Ja rule or P. diddy or whatever had "It's a hard knock life" Covered. I am immune.
Another example of Generation Y ness....Fiddler on the roof was a play long before a film. *sobs* :wink:

buddy, we just need to realize that we are well on the way to old farthood. For me the realization came when I noticed I was listening to the Brown University alt rock station far less than I was listening to "Cape Cod's Cool Classics". Boy oh boy was that a scary day.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Superman wrote:I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof." Can someone tell me when music crossed into Down Syndrome territory? Modern music has jumped the shark. That's it... I give up.
Where were you when Backstreet Boys did We Will Rock You?

:finger:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Col. Crackpot wrote:buddy, we just need to realize that we are well on the way to old farthood. For me the realization came when I noticed I was listening to the Brown University alt rock station far less than I was listening to "Cape Cod's Cool Classics". Boy oh boy was that a scary day.

You're right....I need to be held....
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Gandalf wrote:
Superman wrote:I went to get my hair cut today, and the salon was playing a pop remake of "If I were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof." Can someone tell me when music crossed into Down Syndrome territory? Modern music has jumped the shark. That's it... I give up.
Where were you when Backstreet Boys did We Will Rock You?

:finger:
have you forgotten Britney Spears' stirring rendition of Joan Jett's 'I Love Rock and Roll'?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

Another example of Generation Y ness....Fiddler on the roof was a play long before a film. *sobs* Wink
Well not really, unless you consider 7 years a long time. It first was on stage in 1964, and the movie came out in 1971.
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

See if it weren't Fiddler on the Roof, and not catchy in a banal pop sort of way (like most No Doubt music really) I might care. As it is there's nothing really wrong with it nor is it mangling some classic. Now Celine Dion doing " You Shook Me All Night Long" was a horror and a travesty. This is a blip on the radar.
Boyish-Tigerlilly
Sith Devotee

Post by Boyish-Tigerlilly »

Somebody must like it if it sells :lol: