"Rascals" worst TNG episode?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

Then there's "The Bonding" where Worf does the R'uustai with Marla Aster's kid, Jeremy Aster. The kid was an absolute retard; there's an alien entity staring him in the face doing all this wacky shit (like recreating his home on Earth and disappearing right before his eyes) and he still thinks it's his DEAD mother. Great addition to the House of Mogh. Sigh, I guess they had to write the boy like that to give Troi something to do.
actually that ep was great, it didn't get overdramatic.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

"The Offspring" was the worst in my opinion. Data makes a daughter, yadda, yadda, yadda, starfleet wants the daughter, daughter's programming crashes. Come to think of it, any episode that focused on Data tended to suck.
Worlds Spanner
Jedi Knight

Post by Worlds Spanner »

Data was a good character with a good actor at least. Unlike Riker and Troi....
If you don't ask, how will you know?
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Bertie Wooster wrote:Come to think of it, any episode that focused on Data tended to suck.
Oh, come on. How can you dis "Ode to Spot" like that? :wink:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Tommy J wrote:I cannot even remember the name of the Episode but where Riker gets stung by a plant and goes through a series of flashbacks --- YUCK!

Rascals is agreed a real close 2nd to the above.
Rascals was okay, even though the premise sucked (how can a transporter do that, anyway?). You're right--that Riker episode was the worst one ever. He even "flashbacked" to things he wasn't present for and could have no memory of.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Tommy J wrote:I cannot even remember the name of the Episode but where Riker gets stung by a plant and goes through a series of flashbacks --- YUCK!
The episode in question was "Shades of Grey (gray)" and you're right, it did suck. Bad.

edit: oops, I see several others have answered that question. My bad.
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

Bertie Wooster wrote:"The Offspring" was the worst in my opinion. Data makes a daughter, yadda, yadda, yadda, starfleet wants the daughter, daughter's programming crashes. Come to think of it, any episode that focused on Data tended to suck.
I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that...
( :D :P )

IMO most (well, many) episodes with lots of Data are superior, largely because Spiner is a damn good actor, and also--as far as my preferences go--because Data is my favorite regular TNG character. So I might be biased. Maybe. :)
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Bertie Wooster wrote:"The Offspring" was the worst in my opinion. Data makes a daughter, yadda, yadda, yadda, starfleet wants the daughter, daughter's programming crashes.
My only complaint about this episode is that they conveniently seem to forget the events in "The Measure of a Man." Data had the right to say "No, you cannot take my child from me" but that would have made for a real short episode (but a cute new crew member).
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Shades of Grey, hands down worst episode ever.

Offspring wasn't *that* bad, compared to some others, like any episode centered around Riker....

like that one where he fell in love with that alien andryognous thing which looked like a lil boy....forget the name of that episode, that one just....ugh..
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

DarkSilver wrote:like that one where he fell in love with that alien andryognous thing which looked like a lil boy....forget the name of that episode, that one just....ugh..
I think Geordi would have been more likely to go for the 'Female' androgynous alien than Riker. He seems much more desperate to get some.

At the risk of upsetting the sensitivity of some, this episode reminds me of an earlier thread about why gender issues aren't done in sci-fi. Just seeing this episode is akin to watching an hour long truth.com propaganda piece about the dangers of smoking. Darksilver..."Ugh" is right on the money.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ode to Spot wrote: Felus catus, is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadreped, carivorious by nature?
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigues by your sub-vocal oscilations,
A sigular devlopment of cat communications.
That obviates your basic hedonistic predelection
For a rhymic stroking fo your fur that demonstrates affection.
A tail is quite essencial for your acrobatic talents,
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when being utalized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
Oh, Spot, the complex level of behaviour you display
Connote a fairly well devloped cognative array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and cannot comprehend,
I none the less consider you a true and valued friend.
Worse than Vogon poetry...

For me, it's "The Naked Now" —not only a bad rewrite of an early TOS episode (and not quite one of the best ones at that), but one riven with such consummate stupidity on every level that it was sick-making. Combine it with a decidedly high-school attitude on sex and WESLEY SAVING THE SHIP and it makes for one really bad hour of TV which very nearly put me off of NextGen right then and there and which I've been able to watch only once since that piece of shit aired.

Of course, since then, a lot of the series has aged badly in my view.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

While the premise was bad Rascals was watchable and had some funny moments.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the reset button was not pressed. Picard would have to leave command, go through academy again and return many years later as a young officer.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

The Shadow wrote:While the premise was bad Rascals was watchable and had some funny moments.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the reset button was not pressed. Picard would have to leave command, go through academy again and return many years later as a young officer.
Why would he have to go through SF academy again? I thought his memories and mind were still intact, it's just that he had a kid's body. Picard would be more likely to take up a few new hobbies until he's "old enough" to take command of a starship once sgain. Of course, we don't really know if there are any long term effects of whatever changed the crew members into kids. For all we know, the mind catches up to the body later. Or not.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Mario1470 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:While the premise was bad Rascals was watchable and had some funny moments.

Why would he have to go through SF academy again? I thought his memories and mind were still intact, it's just that he had a kid's body. Picard would be more likely to take up a few new hobbies until he's "old enough" to take command of a starship once sgain. Of course, we don't really know if there are any long term effects of whatever changed the crew members into kids. For all we know, the mind catches up to the body later. Or not.
It has been a while since I saw the episode but if I recall correctly Troi said to Picard that he would have to go through academy again to qualify or something like that. I could be wrong though.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

DarkSilver wrote:Shades of Grey, hands down worst episode ever.

Offspring wasn't *that* bad, compared to some others, like any episode centered around Riker....

like that one where he fell in love with that alien andryognous thing which looked like a lil boy....forget the name of that episode, that one just....ugh..
I agree wholeheartedly about "Shades of Grey".

I *think* the androgenous episode was called "The Outcast".

There were a (very) few decent Riker episodes... take "Frame of Mind" for example. I thought that particular episode was very well done.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Patrick Degan wrote: For me, it's "The Naked Now" —not only a bad rewrite of an early TOS episode (and not quite one of the best ones at that), but one riven with such consummate stupidity on every level that it was sick-making. Combine it with a decidedly high-school attitude on sex and WESLEY SAVING THE SHIP and it makes for one really bad hour of TV which very nearly put me off of NextGen right then and there and which I've been able to watch only once since that piece of shit aired.

Of course, since then, a lot of the series has aged badly in my view.
Make that "Wesley endangering and then saving the ship." I never understood the Wesley hatred until seeing that episode. First he brags to Geordi about his mini-tractor beam ("I know more about the ship that Captain Picard but he won't let me fly it.") Then he takes over main engineering in the lamest possible way. Then he comes up with a last-second idea to delay the ship's destruction and Riker gives him credit for saving the day, much to Worf's dismay. "The boy?!?"

Though the episode did bring us Data's infamous, "fully functional, programmed in multiple techniques," line.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

"Shades of Gray" was just a "Fuck, our budget is non-existant, clip time!" episode. But "Masks" well...
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:"Shades of Gray" was just a "Fuck, our budget is non-existant, clip time!" episode. But "Masks" well...
I thought Shades of Gray was "Fuck, out of scripts, let's throw together a clip show!" as IIRC Season 2 was fucked hard by a writers' strike in Hollywood - which I think led them to recycle stories written for the old Star Trek Phase Two project.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:"Shades of Gray" was just a "Fuck, our budget is non-existant, clip time!" episode. But "Masks" well...
I liked Masks. If you ignore the stupid premise and the recklessly endangering the ship theme that is really prevalent throughout the entire series anyway... it had a creepy atmosphere to it, and of course had Brent Spiner acting with multiple personalities. What's not to like?
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Uraniun235 wrote: I thought Shades of Gray was "Fuck, out of scripts, let's throw together a clip show!" as IIRC Season 2 was fucked hard by a writers' strike in Hollywood - which I think led them to recycle stories written for the old Star Trek Phase Two project.
Shades of Gray was indeed the result of a diminished budget for the season finale. the wanted to do a Borg episode to end the season, and because of the lack of funds due to the strike, had to go with crappy clip show.

But still, they could have done better than that....
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

wood wrote:I *think* the androgenous episode was called "The Outcast".
Yes, it was. And I think it was technically "her" that fell in love with him.

Random Trivia: The species in that episode was called the J'naii, which is also the negating article in Japanese ("ja nai").
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

DarkSilver wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote: I thought Shades of Gray was "Fuck, out of scripts, let's throw together a clip show!" as IIRC Season 2 was fucked hard by a writers' strike in Hollywood - which I think led them to recycle stories written for the old Star Trek Phase Two project.
Shades of Gray was indeed the result of a diminished budget for the season finale. the wanted to do a Borg episode to end the season, and because of the lack of funds due to the strike, had to go with crappy clip show.

But still, they could have done better than that....
Wait, that doesn't make sense. "Lack of funds due to the strike"?
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Uraniun235 wrote:Wait, that doesn't make sense. "Lack of funds due to the strike"?
If the results of the strike were higher payrolls, yes.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

"Shades Of Grey" had nothing to do with any lack of funding due to the Writers' Strike but was the direct result of the strike. They ran out of original scripts and scripts from the recycle bin. So they had an office hack put together a framing story to plug a bunch of clips into.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)