Oh, those silly Trekkies

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Alyeska wrote:So because they have different taste then you they are stupid? Way to go Stravo. :roll:
It's the height of arrogant stupidity to claim that 'for the good of Sci-Fi' ST needs to stay on the air. To me that's no different than a Fundi to argue their intelligent design theories. It's deserving of criticism.

And BTW, the last season of Friends was terrible and like Trek the series was in decline for a couple of seasons.

I don't recall Friends fans petitioning the studio to continue the show, fund raising to keep it on the air or claiming that somehow comedy wouldn't survive with its cancellation.

Such arrogant stupididty deserves a spanking endlessly on the part of fanatical ST fans.

And BTW for the record, I'm a ST Fan but not fanatical.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Alyeska wrote:The real focus should be on the people who killed Trek. People wanted to raise money to save Angel, Farscape, and many others. They might want to try and save a doomed series, but to them its something they enjoy. Mocking their efforts because others doomed ENT and because you don't like ENT doesn't show very good on you.
I agree that B&B are the fuckers at fault for ruining Trek in general but when you have guys lamenting this as the best show on TV I'm sorry but that's just so fucking hilarious that shows like Law & Order, West Wing, CSI, Sopranos, BSG, Stargate, etc don't make that cut and Enterprise DOES?!

And when you're going to bash a show that is lightyears ahead of Enterprise simply because it made it and your show did not you should be mocked into the ground.

No one on Trek BBS is even allowed to come out and say anything against Enterprise because of a mod imposed 'grieving period'. They can blow me.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Stravo wrote:No one on Trek BBS is even allowed to come out and say anything against Enterprise because of a mod imposed 'grieving period'. They can blow me.
Stravo, your kidding about the above, right? If not, lordy, lordy! :roll:
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

:!:

Flame away.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Wow. Way to ensure that they'll never get out of their parents' basements...
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

http://www.trekunited.com/amember/

grassroots campaign has raised $27,630.00 so far. Or less than 1/1,000,000 part of what's required. Still, valiant effort.
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Bellator wrote:http://www.trekunited.com/amember/

grassroots campaign has raised $27,630.00 so far. Or less than 1/1,000,000 part of what's required. Still, valiant effort.
Are you serious? Raising money to fight aids is valiant, raising money to fight injustice is valiant, raising money to help the homeless or under privileged is valiant

Raising money to try to resurrect a dead television show while there are so many other worthy causes worth the effort these idiots have put into this is: selfish, misguided, juvenile, and utterly moronic.

---------------------------------

valor

n : the qualities of a hero or heroine; exceptional or heroic courage when facing danger (especially in battle); "he showed great heroism in battle"; "he received a medal for valor" [syn: heroism, gallantry, valor, valorousness, valiance, valiancy]
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

selfish, misguided, juvenile, and utterly moronic.
Yup. Sounds like rabid Trekkies to me. :lol:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sci-Fi Channel wouldn't pick up Enterprise. I mean seriously, why would they? They have a kick-ass show about to enter it's 9th year, a successful spin-off (SG:A), an all new success (BSG) ... I don't see room for a sub-standard "Trek" show. I'd rather watch re-runs of TNG and DS9 than all-new Enteprise.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

VT-16 wrote:
TurboPhaser wrote:I don't suppose I should bother pointing out that if the new Star Wars movie was cancelled, most people here would have a mass panic attack.
The difference is of course that the SW movies are still very popular and haven´t overstayed their welcome, unlike the ST-franchise. And that they´re ending on a high-note, once again contrasting the ST-franchise. :P
we hope it's a high note at any rate. Episode 1 & 2 were somewhat less than exciting as was hyped up to be.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Darth_Zod wrote:
VT-16 wrote:
TurboPhaser wrote:I don't suppose I should bother pointing out that if the new Star Wars movie was cancelled, most people here would have a mass panic attack.
The difference is of course that the SW movies are still very popular and haven´t overstayed their welcome, unlike the ST-franchise. And that they´re ending on a high-note, once again contrasting the ST-franchise. :P
we hope it's a high note at any rate. Episode 1 & 2 were somewhat less than exciting as was hyped up to be.
I hope so too. However, with SW what's guaranteed to happen is it will be comercially successful and a huge hit at the box office. Shit I heard that there's this guy in Canada that standing in line at some movie theatre now, camping out to be the first in line.

In ST case, just over a 1.5 million weekly viewers vs. the Next Gen peak is pitiful.
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

VT-16 wrote:
selfish, misguided, juvenile, and utterly moronic.
Yup. Sounds like rabid Trekkies to me. :lol:
Yup. Ironically I'm a fan too. My partner Ronald likes to make fun of me because I like Sci-fi and he just isn't into it. For what-ever reason he cannot suspend his disbelief regarding most science fiction unless it's like Star Wars and all action.

It just bothers the shit out of me that they're doing this for two reasons: 1) The time effort and money would be so much more better spent on some worthy cause 2) I have a friend who falls in the fanatical catagory and we got in a disagreement when Enterprise cancellation was announced.

My friend Stanley is a rapid ST fan. He's seen every episode of every series. He owns the computer games. He builds the models and has even attended a convention. While I've been a fan of ST through the years, sometimes liking it, sometimes not, he defends EVERYTHING to include Insurrection and Nemsis and Enterprise with a passion.

I've always been kewl with that because unlike most of my friends and my partner he's been the only one that shared this interest. In any case, when Enterprise was announced to be cancelled he virtually cried on the phone to me because ST would no longer be produced. Further he went to that damn web site and donated $50.

Maybe this was harsh, but I called him a fool and to get a life. I asked him why he'll turn his head to that old homeless man but eagerly give $50 to an utterly worthless cause to save a failing TV show and virtually dead franchise. Finally, I told him that his priorities were completely screwed up.

Well as you can imagine, we're not talking anymore. So, I guess for more personal reasons, I'm at a complete loss about this wierd fanatcism and misplaced priorities these people have for this TV show and maybe because of my opinion about such have lost a friend.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Vympel wrote:Sci-Fi Channel wouldn't pick up Enterprise. I mean seriously, why would they? They have a kick-ass show about to enter it's 9th year, a successful spin-off (SG:A), an all new success (BSG) ... I don't see room for a sub-standard "Trek" show. I'd rather watch re-runs of TNG and DS9 than all-new Enteprise.
Indeed, I've been catching TNG and DS9 on Spike quite frequently. I've only ever watched one ENT episode in its entirety (Regeneration), and don't care to watch any others.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I am reminded of an old saying.

"My country right or wrong"

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth_Zod wrote:we hope it's a high note at any rate. Episode 1 & 2 were somewhat less than exciting as was hyped up to be.
Considering the amount of hype we're talking about, the films were almost guaranteed to not live up to it.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Striderteen
Padawan Learner

Post by Striderteen »

*sigh* I was beginning to really like Enterprise, then they go and cancel it. I can't get the Sci-Fi channel anyway unless I cough up the cash for cable TV, which I can't afford to do, so oh well.