Music just dropped another notch

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Avril Lavigne covering "Fuel" anyone?
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Stormbringer wrote: Now Celine Dion doing " You Shook Me All Night Long" was a horror and a travesty.
No way. I don't believe it. :shock: :cry:
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Holy fucking. I saw Fiddler on the Roof a few years ago. I'd forgotten most of the songs. I heard the pepsi commercial and was like "This song sucks, but for some reason I wan't to like it. I wonder why?" And you know why? It was triggering memories of the non sucky version in my skull.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

xBlackFlash wrote:Avril Lavigne covering "Fuel" anyone?
I blocked that out. If Metallica had any balls left they would put a hit out on her for that "tribute." There is nothing worse than some pop twat trying to be a punk artist (and probably has no clue who The Clash or the Sex Pistols were but I digress) pathetically attempting to grab some creditibility at the expense of a great hard song. As if she had any idea what it was about.
Alex Moon wrote:
Stormbringer wrote: Now Celine Dion doing " You Shook Me All Night Long" was a horror and a travesty.
No way. I don't believe it. :shock: :cry:
Ooooh yes, believe the horror. I've seen it and man, it was just painful as hell to watch.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

You know what amazes me is the sheer number of people that are just dog piling on this. It amazes me how every discussion of modern music inevitably winds up with a herd of sheepy-people bleating about how bad modern music is?

You know that? The song is a catchy pop remake of a song from a musical best know the the rare slice of the populatio that cares as a Barbra Streisand vehicle. Is such a thing really so horrible or catastrophic? What's so wrong with this?

And for that matter why must people trash all modern music? I grant there's a lot of suck out there. But when has that not been the case? And sure there are bad bands. But that's ignoring a goodly number of bands that are good; they've just committed the sin of being popular.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Stormbringer wrote:You know what amazes me is the sheer number of people that are just dog piling on this. It amazes me how every discussion of modern music inevitably winds up with a herd of sheepy-people bleating about how bad modern music is?

You know that? The song is a catchy pop remake of a song from a musical best know the the rare slice of the populatio that cares as a Barbra Streisand vehicle. Is such a thing really so horrible or catastrophic? What's so wrong with this?

And for that matter why must people trash all modern music? I grant there's a lot of suck out there. But when has that not been the case? And sure there are bad bands. But that's ignoring a goodly number of bands that are good; they've just committed the sin of being popular.
Well when a thread was created for the purpose of bashing modern music.....

Either way I see your point. I guess with something like music, it means a lot to a great amount of people, and I think it's easier to lament what you see wrong with it.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Isn't Fiddler on the Roof considered one to be one of the most classic musicals of all time?

And, Stormbringer, I really hate to tell you this, but Avril Lavigne is all that is left of punk rock. Not that there was much there to start with, but when people think of "punk" nowadays, she springs to mind. It's sad, but true. At least she's a better "artist" than Johnny Rotten.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Yeah a saw that, what was worse was the camera cutting to the crowd and showing James and Lars grinning like idiots while she destroyed it. After seeing that concert i lost my sole remaining bit of respect i had for Metallica.

Back on topic, I couldn't give a toss. Never been a fan of musicals and certainly not a fan of Miss Stefani, well not her musical tallents.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

You- you're lying!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
You- you're lying!
No, it was on a tribute to metallica evening on some music channel. Korn covered One, too, and it sucked because they didn't play the solo. I didn't mind the actual song though. Avril sucked, though Fuel sucks anyway.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

HemlockGrey wrote:And, Stormbringer, I really hate to tell you this, but Avril Lavigne is all that is left of punk rock. Not that there was much there to start with, but when people think of "punk" nowadays, she springs to mind. It's sad, but true. At least she's a better "artist" than Johnny Rotten.
That she is all that's left in the mainstream is reason enough to just let it go. She is definitely on the list of "artists" that are simply not worth listening to.
Xephon
Redshirt

Post by Xephon »

Avril Lavinge covered Chop Suey too. :D It was terrible. She forgot most of the words and the audience STILL clapped and hollered for her. Bah.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Stormbringer wrote: That she is all that's left in the mainstream is reason enough to just let it go. She is definitely on the list of "artists" that are simply not worth listening to.
the definition of punk is skewed, its not about anarchy anymore its about how much life sucks. Unfortunately pop bands are being given the punk label (blink 182 anyone?) when they are anything but which is what leads to the problem.

On that note, The Uk alternate music scene is a lot better (and different) than that of america in my opinion.

and finally punk is alive you just have to look for it.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Zac Naloen wrote: and finally punk is alive you just have to look for it.
I agree with you on that. Punk isn't dead. New punk music isn't going to happen, because the ideas have been so miscontrued. There are always the classics though, and I think that's better than anything new that would come out anyway.

Punk isn't something that can just die. Punk is an idea, a way of thinking, a way of doing things. Thoughts and ideas held by that many people cannot just die in a span of 30 years. The scene may be brutalized and misrepresented, but it's just that. The scene. It's not symbolic of the spirit of punk. And I think that's a factor a lot of people miss. As long as the original ideas are held by even a small amount of people, it's not dead. The music is only a part of it.

</rant>