Pink Floyd, Live at Pompeii

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Pink Floyd, Live at Pompeii

Post by Maraxus »

Has anyone seen this movie? if so what did you think?
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

It's a treasure, and something no group would dare try today.

Can you imagine Good Charlotte, Tittany Spheres, or Maroon5 setting up and playing an entire concert in front of cameras with no audience?

The footage of the studio work during the recording of Dark Side of the Moon is precious to any Pink Floyd fan.

However, the bits with them running around on the smoking slopes is cheesy as hell, and they were pretty embarrassed by it. :lol:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Post by Maraxus »

Good charlotte, Tiffany spheres, or Moron5 could never do something even remotely resembling this. I have serious doubts anyone could. The era of films like this are long gone.

The footage in the studio is pretty cool. Did you know that was the first time anything from DSOTM had been heard by anyone who didn't work on it?

I'm watching the DVD right now, i worship it.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Frank Hipper wrote:However, the bits with them running around on the smoking slopes is cheesy as hell, and they were pretty embarrassed by it. :lol:
As cheesy as the swordfighting in The Song Remains the Same?
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Post by Maraxus »

I didn't think the whole running around thing was cheesy, but thats just me.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

I just saw this for the first time a month ago and it's pretty awesome. I recommend it.

There's definitely some heavy 70's hippy-trippy stuff, but it's still cool. You get see them playing with the then new psychedelic audio toys, things they later use as creative tools of exploration. The lack of any audience (save the film and sound crews) adds to the surrealism, as does the location.

There's a great scene about half-way through (I forget which song) where Nick Mason loses a drumstick (Fwing! right off the cymbal). He grabs another and keeps playing like nothing happened. He misses a few cymbal crashes but never drops a beat. Pretty amazing.

Careful with that axe, Eugene :wink:
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
moku
Jedi Knight

Re: Pink Floyd, Live at Pompeii

Post by moku »

Maraxus wrote:Has anyone seen this movie? if so what did you think?
I got the thing just last year on vcd, while I was in China. The thing is a legit copy, but I still payed less for it. Anyhow, I found it awesome, I really like it. Watched it several times now -- when I want to relax.

10/10 from me. :P
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Pulse
Redshirt

Post by Pulse »

Drewcifer wrote:I just saw this for the first time a month ago and it's pretty awesome. I recommend it.

There's definitely some heavy 70's hippy-trippy stuff, but it's still cool. You get see them playing with the then new psychedelic audio toys, things they later use as creative tools of exploration. The lack of any audience (save the film and sound crews) adds to the surrealism, as does the location.

There's a great scene about half-way through (I forget which song) where Nick Mason loses a drumstick (Fwing! right off the cymbal). He grabs another and keeps playing like nothing happened. He misses a few cymbal crashes but never drops a beat. Pretty amazing.

Careful with that axe, Eugene :wink:
He lost it in "One of These Days". I bought it on DVD last year and got Nick Mason to sign it when he was promoting his Inside Out book last October.
This space is open to any inquiries at the moment...