Waste of a good soundtrack

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thag
Jedi Knight

Waste of a good soundtrack

Post by Thag »

We've all seen some really bad movies. However, some of them weren't all that bad to listen to with headphones. So, name some B/D-grade films with A-grade music.

My nominees are:
-Starship Troopers: Yes, I know this one did have it's strengths and was a good popcorn flick, but the music, especially during the combat scenes, really helped it.

-Titanic: First let me state that I am only referring to the instrumental stuff, not Celine Deione's banshee wailing. The in-movie tracks always seemed like they would fit better in a good fantasy movie than that mess.

Honorable mention:
-AOTC: Somehow, the quality of the movie didn't seem to measure up to the quality of the music.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Actually, I was a bit disappointed with the AOTC soundtrack. IMO, it tries to be too epic. It lacks a powerful "Duel of the Fates" or "Into the Trap" that the others had. There's plenty of music suitable for a love story, obviously, but when I want battle music, AOTC just seems to deflate. Generally, I ignore my AOTC disc and pop in TPM or the OT discs I have when I want Star Wars.

Which is why I nominate The Phantom Menace as not having lived up to its soundtracks.

I also nominate 'The Passion of the Christ' which I thought had a fantastic soundtrack, and I was sincerely surprised when it failed to win the Oscar for best score.
JADAFETWA
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

A View to a Kill. Terrible Bond film. Pretty good music.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Matrix II.

the soundtrack kicks ass while the movie is a pile of shit.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Master of Ossus wrote:A View to a Kill. Terrible Bond film. Pretty good music.
Can't be as terrible as Pierce Brosnan's SuperSpy wankfest :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Have to agree with Salm. Both Matrix soundtracks - Reloaded and Revolutions is damned good, I listen to them all the time when writing. I would say they and the LOTR trilogy are the best soundtracks to come down in the last 5 years. Like the Star Wars soundtracks I just never really stop listening to them.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Stravo wrote:Have to agree with Salm. Both Matrix soundtracks - Reloaded and Revolutions is damned good, I listen to them all the time when writing.
Yeah, all of the music in Matrix is great. In both Reloaded and Revolutions, both soundtracks (the orchestrated original motion picture soundtrack and the electronica / rock popular artists soundtrack) are great.

The orchestrated music has that Matrixy sound with those trumpet rifts in the action sequences and the popular music has the likes of Juno Reactor (who also helped make Mona Lisa Overdrive, one of my favorite songs; it's the song they play in the car chase in Reloaded) and Rage Against the Machine.
PFC Long
Redshirt

Post by PFC Long »

thump thump thump... I can hear it now. :cool:

Jurrasic Park. Well, the first one. Great instrumentals, I think done by John Williams.

I actually owned a copy of the soundtrack at one point in time.
Tax Center tanker, hooah
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I would have to agree to Starship Troopers. At the very least, the Klethendu Drop track is a keeper.

It is the best song to listen to while playing X-Com :P

Also Hanz Zimmer's score for MI2. The tracks Mano a Mano and Injection are superb.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

salm wrote:Matrix II.

I keep listening to tracks like "Chateau" and imagine it being in a better movie. Actually thought of this tune when I first heard that Obi-Wan would fight Grievous´ bodyguards (who use staffs like the weapons in the Chateau-fight). 8)
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Wender's "Until the end of the world" had what is in my opinion the best soundtrack in any movie, ever.
Too bad that the movie was cut to about an half of the original length and so was barely understandable.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Damned if I remember what it sounded like, but I remember I really liked "The Avengers" score done by Joel McNeely. He's the composer who did the music for Shadows of the Empire. The movie was just.....really, really bad, though.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

The Matrix Revolutions. Love the soundtrack. IMO, quite possibly the worst movie ever.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

umm... celine dion=banshee wailing? Come on, now, man. You have to be joking.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Queen of the Damned

Even being a fan of the books the movie is based on didn't help.

It has a few cool scenes but most of those had to do mostly with the music that went along with the scene. Akasha trashing the vampire bar for instance. The rest of the good scenes had to do with Lestat in concert.

I like the DVD because it includes the music videos of Lestat's band plus some extended "concert" footage. Otherwise the movie blows.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

VT-16 wrote:
salm wrote:Matrix II.

I keep listening to tracks like "Chateau" and imagine it being in a better movie
A better version of this song is called "Furious Angels", also by Rob D
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I still think "Titanic" was as good as the soundtrack (though I admit, I tend to avoid Celine's solo at the end).

That said, some of the music from ST: Nemesis wasn't too bad, and didn't deserve to be connected to such a shitty, shitty waste of celluloid.
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Tsyroc wrote:Queen of the Damned
agreed. glad someone else thinks so.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Caius wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:Queen of the Damned
agreed. glad someone else thinks so.
This was one of the few movies that was truly painful to watch in the theater. :)

The sound was cranked up so high that it actually started to hurt at certain points of the film. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

Waterworld. Great score by James Newton Howard, godawful movie.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I don't remember much of the other music in the movie, but the opening theme for Wing Commander kicked ass. Too bad the movie sucked balls. :evil: