Music Copyrights Keep TV on DVD Down...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Music Copyrights Keep TV on DVD Down...

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Found an interesting two-page article by Wired concerning the plight that music copyrights have on current and future DVD releases of television shows, in some cases preventing their release on home video entirely:

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66696,00.html
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

What are they afraid will or would happen,that someone makes CDs with those? :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No, it's just that the rights to use songs both cost money and eventually expire, and some songs cost a lot more than others.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Hmm, are the companies that produce tv shows getting rights to music for eventual DVD release now? This isn't an isolated occurrance after all.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, it's just that the rights to use songs both cost money and eventually expire, and some songs cost a lot more than others.
The songs or theme musics are already available for free on some websites,so i wonder why they complain about them being on DVDs which in a way will give them money. :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Montcalm wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, it's just that the rights to use songs both cost money and eventually expire, and some songs cost a lot more than others.
The songs or theme musics are already available for free on some websites,so i wonder why they complain about them being on DVDs which in a way will give them money. :?
Not the songs in the show. You have licensed music there. You ever see Smallville or other WB shows where they have the thing at the end about what CDs and artists did the songs in the show?

And the licenses in the past didn't cover DVD releases. They wouldn't have gotten money off of them without a new contract.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

This is apparent to anyone that got the first season of Monkey Dust on DVD since the music track which is a big part of the show given the excellent content was changed due to copyright problems and so on. It's annoying, but the VHS of the show I taped is probably better since the music was so fitting and good.
Last edited by Admiral Valdemar on 2005-03-03 04:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

They did what?!

Dammit! The use of the music was practically the best part of Monkey dust!

Except, of course, the Pedofinder General :D
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Dartzap wrote:They did what?!

Dammit! The use of the music was practically the best part of Monkey dust!

Except, of course, the Pedofinder General :D
Well, aside from the extras and digital quality, I'll stick with my video copies to be honest. I don't like the idea of them tinkering with something I already loved.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Aye, i dont blame you... :(
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

This same shit has halted the Married with Children DVD sets, on season 1 & 2 they have the sinatra "Love and Marriage" theme; however, on season 3 since they lost the liescene they had to put up some lame cracked out "new and improved" theme song. It totally ditracts from the show.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

This is part of the reason it took so long for Heavy Metal to come out on DVD and video.

The radio station I listen to was just talking about this very subject being part of the reason the various incarnations of WKRP In Cincinnati will be a long time coming to DVD. All the song clips that were always in the background of a rock radio station all have to be licensed.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Moving to AMP.

That really sucks. WKRP was an awesome show, and I know both my dad and I would scoop up the DVDs if they ever came out. I think I'd rather not have them be released at all than with substitute music. Music, especially with a show like that, is part of the show. You can't change it.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

This problem started cropping up with WKRP in its last syndicated run on TVLand. I vividly recall that in the rerun of the episode in which Arthur Carlson runs for city council, the original Star Wars music which was used for his radio spot was replaced with something else; can't remember what but it diminished the scene because the bombastic SW theme was part of the whole joke in the original. Now of course WKRP isn't even in reruns presumably because of this music industry bullshit.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It sucks. I really love Third Watch and they use quite a bit of music. I guess you could substitute it, but the songs just fit what's happening. And you certainly can't do away with the music altogether, because then you would have a lot of dead silence. Nifty visuals, but totally silent.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Third Watch might be new enough that the music rights were arranged in advance.

However....on that note. I noticed that while Smallville made sure to get the music rights for most of the music on the show including the theme song by Remmy Zero. They did not get the music by Perry Farrell (Song Yet to Be Sung) that had been used on a bunch of the early commercials before the show aired and had originally been used as the lead into the opening meteor swarm of the first episode. Now on the DVD that part is mostly silent or space sound effects before things start hitting atmosphere (where the music had stopped previously anyway).

You know, back in the 80s Romancing the Stone came out on video. Not only was it slightly re-edited (I can't remember the part that was changed anymore but it was fairly noticable at the time, to me anyway) but the end credits on the video tape did not have the Eddy Gran song Romancing the Stone. Yes, he's the same guy who did Electric Avenue.

I think since then I've only seen the movie once on television where it included the Eddy Grant song.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

This was the hold-up that kept Miami Vice from being released on DVD for so long. They finally got it worked out though.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Man, the music industry is just pissing on its customers left and right, isn't it?
The Great and Malignant