Some Jedi questions

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Some Jedi questions

Post by Lord Revan »

First is it possible for Jedi to use the the Force to "see" if his/her eyes (or the equilevant) are disabled?

Second can a Jedi "see" in the dark (again by using the force)?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Re: Some Jedi questions

Post by InnocentBystander »

Lord Revan wrote:First is it possible for Jedi to use the the Force to "see" if his/her eyes (or the equilevant) are disabled?

Second can a Jedi "see" in the dark (again by using the force)?
If Jedi Knight (computer game) is Canon, then yes. Jerec had no eyes, but saw much.
Nick Lancaster
Padawan Learner

I Smell A Rat

Post by Nick Lancaster »

This reminds me of a game where a character kept asking, 'Can I see in this situation, how about this situation, what about this situation?' ... and then extrapolated it to mean he could see in all situations similar to previously cited successes.

I would submit that it is possible to use the Force to substitute for a missing or occluded sense, but it requires concentration to do so if this is not your normal state (i.e., temporarily blinded vs. genetically blind from birth).

Over time, if such compensation is needed long-term in light of an injury, then the GM could reduce the penalties, but make the mastery of this technique something the character has to cope with over several adventures/levels.

As far as D20 goes, I'd also check some of the 'notable Jedi' in the Powers of the Jedi supplement - I seem to recall there was one character wearing a blindfold ...
Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion, I gain strength
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Is Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight Canon? If so than that pretty much answers the first question...
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

InnocentBystander wrote:Is Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight Canon? If so than that pretty much answers the first question...
According to the latest canon statements, if it doesn't have an infinities label, then "yes". Games (by their nature) are horrifically unrealistic and therefore about the lowest level of canon but still canon.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Darth Servo wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote:Is Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight Canon? If so than that pretty much answers the first question...
According to the latest canon statements, if it doesn't have an infinities label, then "yes". Games (by their nature) are horrifically unrealistic and therefore about the lowest level of canon but still canon.
What about game cut-scenes? Aren't they higher canon? Isn't the Vengence considered a ship because of cutscenes in DF2:JK? I seem to recall seeing it mentioned on Dr. Saxton's page...
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I think one of the characters in KOTOR 2 is this chick with no eyes, who 'sees' through the Force. So, i'd say yeah.
Kanye West Saves.

GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Well, Kreia and Visas Marr managed the first in KotOR II (and in the original, Jolee Bindo mentions a Jedi Master with very bad eyesight, and says other Jedi advised him to see with the Force).

As to the second, I have no idea.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well I was thinking of a blinded jedi character (for potential fanfic use) that could see by using the force and wanted to know is that possible.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:I think one of the characters in KOTOR 2 is this chick with no eyes, who 'sees' through the Force. So, i'd say yeah.
if refering to Visas Marr, We don't know if she has eyes (but she is blind that's for sure) as we never (IIRC) see her full face (she has similar head gear as mouth oif sauron in the ROTK movie(exept her's is made out of cloth).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There's a race in the EU, the Miraaluka or something like that, who are genetically blind from birth; they all see through the Force, and in fact, one of them became a Jedi, a pilot to boot. Check out the 'Tales of the Jedi' TPB for that particular example.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:There's a race in the EU, the Miraaluka or something like that, who are genetically blind from birth; they all see through the Force, and in fact, one of them became a Jedi, a pilot to boot. Check out the 'Tales of the Jedi' TPB for that particular example.
Visas Marr is also (IIRC) member of that Race.
Nick Lancaster
Padawan Learner

Force Sight for Fanfic

Post by Nick Lancaster »

If intended for fanfic, then the challenge is to make sure the character is understood to be blind, that the 'gimmick' helps tell your story, and not just a sighted character who happens to use the Force instead of his/her eyes.
The Force shall free me.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Force Sight for Fanfic

Post by Elheru Aran »

Nick Lancaster wrote:If intended for fanfic, then the challenge is to make sure the character is understood to be blind, that the 'gimmick' helps tell your story, and not just a sighted character who happens to use the Force instead of his/her eyes.
Agreed. Look up some of the better Daredevil comics for examples of how you can write for a blind character. Some pretty good stuff there... Daredevil's not one of the better Marvel comics, but it is kind of unique in being one of the only blind characters in comic books that has his own line.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Force Sight for Fanfic

Post by Lord Revan »

Nick Lancaster wrote:If intended for fanfic, then the challenge is to make sure the character is understood to be blind, that the 'gimmick' helps tell your story, and not just a sighted character who happens to use the Force instead of his/her eyes.
it's part of mystery of the character as he (yes the character is male) can "see" thing others can't (or need a lot of consentration to) "see".
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

InnocentBystander wrote:
Darth Servo wrote:
What about game cut-scenes? Aren't they higher canon? Isn't the Vengence considered a ship because of cutscenes in DF2:JK? I seem to recall seeing it mentioned on Dr. Saxton's page...
OK, thats a good point. By "games" I meant the interactive portion.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Agent R
Padawan Learner

Post by Agent R »

Lord Revan wrote:Well I was thinking of a blinded jedi character (for potential fanfic use) that could see by using the force and wanted to know is that possible.
There is a Jedi named Tahl in one of the books in the Jedi Apprentice series ("The Captive Temple") who was blinded in an accident and uses the Force to get around and do work around the temple.
No conscience. No law. No stopping them....

....well, maybe a Happy Meal would do it.

Ka Anor needs test subjects!
I still think Furlings look like tribbles
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Re: Some Jedi questions

Post by Mad »

InnocentBystander wrote:If Jedi Knight (computer game) is Canon, then yes. Jerec had no eyes, but saw much.
Games are considered canon. However, this applies mainly to the story, and there where it doesn't contradict more definitive canon. The details of the gameplay, though, can usually be safely dismissed.

Since Jerec's blindness was more than just gamepay (actually, it didn't affect gameplay at all), then it stands.
Later...
avoidingthepo
Youngling

Post by avoidingthepo »

i doubt that a blind jedi using the force could tell what shade of green my shirt is, but im sure using the force they can "know" exactly whats around them. in tpm doesnt the young anakin know what image is on the screen just because hes so force-attuned?
=NUB=

Deceived by the devils decisions, forced into a slave
Death before dishonour for those men who were brave
Shot and sent to their grave, can't awaken, it's too late
Everything's been taken, I'm shaken, family, history, the making
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

avoidingthepo wrote:i doubt that a blind jedi using the force could tell what shade of green my shirt is, but im sure using the force they can "know" exactly whats around them. in tpm doesnt the young anakin know what image is on the screen just because hes so force-attuned?
I think it work like some kind Force sonar (most bats are blind after all), so the Jedi could see his/her surroundings but details like colors would beond his/her abilities.
Nick Lancaster
Padawan Learner

Blind Master?

Post by Nick Lancaster »

Given that a person deprived of sight would rely on their other senses to compensate (hearing, smell, touch) ... the character would use that as a base, and it's whatever Force-based discipline he has going that takes it to the next level.

So if you're positing 'Force sonar,' for example, a guy who is blindfolded or temporarily blinded could strain for audio cues to recognize people and movement around him, perhaps even visualize the layout of a room with which he is minimally familiar. Your character is able to extrapolate much, much more - picking up the faintest nuance as sound travels through a room.

That sounds a lot like Daredevil, but without the 'audio overload' problem shown in the movie.

But what if it's more like what Paul Atreides does in Dune: Messiah? He draws on the future and wraps the vision around himself - he is seeing not the actual event, but the most likely future.

The character's combat training must also come into play, since Jedi routinely respond to cues that other people would miss. Could his 'vision' have come about from that? Does the question of aggression enter into it (i.e., to utilize a battle-mentality for vision, are you placing yourself in an aggressive mindset)?
The Force shall free me.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Well, rather than make an entire thread for one question, I got one: Just how far can a Jedi free fall and survive?

Flipping around my AOTC DVD, I find the part of Mace Windu jumping off Dooku's observation platform, blocking bolts and falling quite a distance without even looking worried damn cool.

Can a Jedi recover and survive landing huge falls, say even after reaching terminal velocity?

A specific scenario that comes to mind is Obi Won falling on Coruscant...was he really in danger, or could he have survived that fall and Anakin only picked him up to continue the pursuit?
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Well, Anakin jumped from speeder to speeder, so we know he was going at terminal velocity, plus the force of the fast-moving craft slamming into him, and he still grabbed onto it. So he could in theory fall 10 km, but since he's going at terminal velocity anyway, he should be fine. I think the real danger is from landing on sharp objects or inconveniently-placed pools of acid (you never know).
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Robert Walper wrote: Can a Jedi recover and survive landing huge falls, say even after reaching terminal velocity?
What the heck do you think Anakin did when he free-falled onto Zam's speeder?

Mace did something similar in Shatterpoint. though IIRC he didn't really "free fall" either (so he didn't need the sudden massive acceleration to decelerate himself at the last minute - he was using the Force to slow and guide his descent, which is more of a sustained feat.)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Robert Walper wrote: Can a Jedi recover and survive landing huge falls, say even after reaching terminal velocity?
What the heck do you think Anakin did when he free-falled onto Zam's speeder?

Mace did something similar in Shatterpoint. though IIRC he didn't really "free fall" either (so he didn't need the sudden massive acceleration to decelerate himself at the last minute - he was using the Force to slow and guide his descent, which is more of a sustained feat.)