Who are the resident Band Geeks...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

Cadets? As in the Cadets of Bergen County?
Yeah, we're not of Bergen County anymore though, moved to Allentown, PA. :)
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Marksist wrote:

Is Jamie still working with you guys?
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

Well as of now, I only know the brass staff, which is the same staff from 2000 and 2001 with the exception of the baritone instructor being new. This year they shitcanned the 2002-2004 brass staff since the corps hasn't been up to par with what the organization is used to.
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Marksist wrote:
Well as of now, I only know the brass staff, which is the same staff from 2000 and 2001 with the exception of the baritone instructor being new. This year they shitcanned the 2002-2004 brass staff since the corps hasn't been up to par with what the organization is used to.
If you find out if Jamie Eckhert is still working with the drums, let me know. I know he was when I was going around auditioning for schools.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Navarone
Redshirt

Post by Navarone »

You were on Blast!? That kicks ass!
When life throws you lemons, squirt the juice in the eyes of your enemies! -me

Day in the life of a highschool nerd
egyptfrk
Padawan Learner

Post by egyptfrk »

Marksist wrote:
Allentown, WOOT. (I'm from Easton)
There's too much blood in my caffiene system!
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade other countries.
Image SoS:NBA Because boys are icky
egyptfrk
Padawan Learner

Post by egyptfrk »

I've played flute since 4th grade (so that's um, 12 years now) and piccolo since 7th grade (9 years). I miss marching band with a passion, well the competitions, not the practice so much. I do pep band at AU and municipal band at home in the summertime.

I own an acustic guitar, and someday I will learn how to play it! I know the basics on piano, but I wouldn't say I "play" piano.

And its Bandgek, not bando or any other silly name.

an aside: you know you're a bandgek when you and your roommate spend a decent amount of time searching for and downloading the Chicken Dance, only to complain that it sucked because the instrument balance was off
There's too much blood in my caffiene system!
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade other countries.
Image SoS:NBA Because boys are icky
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Navarone wrote:Percussion 5th-current. I'm in drumline, and play tenors, or quints as some people call them. State champs in 8th grade, when I was in pit!
Alternatively, 11th when I was on the field. :D Damn, there's nothing quite like it.

Trumpet back when I was a band geek. Bass now that I'm an orchestra geek.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Played the piano from 2nd grade to the 8th and the French Horn from the 6th grade all the way through high school graduation.
Marching season was the best, road trips and competitions, we always went to State every time we were eligible(every two years) and finished in the top ten ususally. My senior year we won Grand Champion at the Sam Houston State Marching Badn Competition, which is where every band went to compete in the off years that they could not compete at state.

Anyway that is my band story.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

I've played tenor saxophone for awhile now, in my school's top band. We don't really have a marching season, not having a football team, but we've marched in the local Christmas parade for the past 4 years I've been there. Great fun.

I want to learn to play the guitar, but I don't own one at the moment, which makes things slightly difficult.

The band had a concert just tonight, in fact. Just a friendly meeting of high schools so everyone can judge each other before the All-County Band Festival coming up soonly.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it-- our band is taking a trip to Maryland/Wash. D.C April 27th. If anyone in that area wants to meet up, I'll have a day or two of do-nothing time for things like that. :)
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Why does no one remember that music threads go in AMP now?

And I'm a music teacher, so you can include me, I suppose, although I'm too cool to be considered a geek. ;-)
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Because we like to annoy you. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Rogue 9 wrote:Because we like to annoy you. :D
And you like to complain when I moderate, so it's just a win-win situation for you, isn't it. :P

Stravo remembered! :luv:

So there, Rouge. :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Zaia wrote: So there, Rouge. :P

PWNED!

:lol:
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zaia wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Because we like to annoy you. :D
And you like to complain when I moderate, so it's just a win-win situation for you, isn't it. :P

Stravo remembered! :luv:

So there, Rogue. :P
I don't care so much about the movey-movey. It's more the locky locky. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Not really band geek per se, as I don't play an instrument, but I'm more or less the school's top male vocalist, and definately the top baritone, so I tend to sing a lot at assemblies, liturgies, and musicals.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I have been playing the trumpet for about three years now and I am nowhere as good as I should be. :lol: Still lots of fun to play with but as any other stuff, it has its ups and downs.

I use to play a little of the clarinet before I decided I just sucked at it and wasn't the sound I wanted to play out.

I might consider playing the tuba in the future if I get a chance as it's closer to what I like to hear.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I have been playing the trumpet for about three years now and I am nowhere as good as I should be. :lol: Still lots of fun to play with but as any other stuff, it has its ups and downs.

I use to play a little of the clarinet before I decided I just sucked at it and wasn't the sound I wanted to play out.

I might consider playing the tuba in the future if I get a chance as it's closer to what I like to hear.
Tuba? No. It sucks. Try baritone horn/euphonium. I did for a semester during my freshman year and it did wonders for my trumpet playing when I went back to it. My lung capacity was outrageous. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I played trombone from 4th grade until present day. Once I was in college I didn't play much, but I do every now and then. Even get money for it.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I have been playing the trumpet for about three years now and I am nowhere as good as I should be.
You never will be, quite frankly. It doesn't matter how good you really are, it doesn't matter how many people want to hear you play; to your own ears, every single note that comes out of that horn is going to be shit. That's how it was for me, anyway.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Not in the band (I opted for guitar at a young age), but I have several fans in the Boston College 'Screaming Eagles' Marching Band. I even have an official fleece that says "Band Groupie" on it. :D
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

If there's anything nerdier than a band geek, it has got to be a band groupie.

Congrats! :P
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Mayabird wrote:If there's anything nerdier than a band geek, it has got to be a band groupie.

Congrats! :P
My extraordinarily attractive girlfriend is a member of the color guard. I was kinda roped into groupiedom.

Besides, it's a good way to get people to come to your parties. "There'll be beer and cheerleaders."

"I'm in!!"

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Maybe you only mean marching bands here, but I've played in 3 death metal bands, a jazz quartet, a pop band and currently in a thrash band.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Julhelm wrote:Maybe you only mean marching bands here, but I've played in 3 death metal bands, a jazz quartet, a pop band and currently in a thrash band.
You can always tell the drummers in the group. ;)

Me, I've played in a couple of bands. Metallica cover band, hardcore band, emo band... a little ska... filled in on guitars for a local metal band. Currently looking for a good blues band. Anyone looking for a good blues guitarist? ;)

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.