Got bored at work, made a fighter.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Got bored at work, made a fighter.

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

As yoy may have guessed from the thread title I got bored while having to sit an hour or two at work, so I churned out a little low-detail fighter for something to do. I haven't had any time on Lightwave for a few weeks now, busy putting myself out of a job implementing a new network, so I had to get this nonsense out my system. I also figured I haven't posted here in a while, and also you eccentrics dont often get the chance to rip apart 3D models these days. Awfully quiet on the 3D front at the moment, maybe everyone else is busy too?

Here's the ship anyway. I made 3 versions of it where I changed the tail configuration, I'll let you guys decide which is best looking and when I next get a chance I'll slap some weapons and a proper paintjob on it. Right now it has a feeble desert style camo on it, just because it was the first preset I came across. Choose between the single, double or T tail config.

visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

I'm a fan of the t-tail, myself. Though maybe if you set the single tail back farther on the chasis, it might look less awkward.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

The twin tail's my favorite. See my avatar for explanation.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Twin Tail is my favorite. Stealth wise the twin tail is also good.

Once again you prove your artistic flair Kenny, good job.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I think I like the one with the spoiler, it reminds me of thunderbird 2, faintly, if only because of that bit.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Actually, the more I look at it, the twin-tail fighter looks useful for a story of mine.....
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

It was originally made as the spoiler/T-tail design, but I realised it might be worth trying out some others. The single tail just doesn't fit in my opinion, I cant sit it far enough back on the body to look right due to the shape of the cut-out at the rear where the engines are. The twin tail has grown on me though, although it makes it look a little too normal perhaps.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

the twintail is the best
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

<9 year old girl>

Ouuuuu.....pretty!

</9 year old girl>
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

say, do you model in lightwave? i´ve never tried lightwave but heard that lightwave roxorz for rendering, especially all the advanced lighting stuff, but suxorz for modeling?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I think its fantastic man, the twin tail rocks, would love to see more of this machine.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The twin tail or the spoiler look to be the best.

The twin tail though evokes for fighter plane image for me. Still great job. :)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Yeah, I think the twin tail looks the best. That's a nice machine. :D
JADAFETWA
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

I do indeed use Lightwave, and as far as I know it doesn't suck at either modelling or rendering. I've tried out other packages and they made no sense to me at all, but Lightwave I could use from day 1. The place where Lightwave falls down is character animation, it's not as intuitive as some other packages, but there's aftermarket packages you can buy if that's yer thing.

I'm leaning towards doing up the twin tail ship if I get the time, I want to detail it up, add a decent paintjob, weapons stations, landing gear etc. Busy the next couple of days though, but you never know...
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Could you do a shot with landing gear or skids? Right now I am wondering where the gear are and how they can possibly be long enough to account for the wing tips. Also some missiles and missile rails might be nice.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Alyeska wrote:Could you do a shot with landing gear or skids? Right now I am wondering where the gear are and how they can possibly be long enough to account for the wing tips. Also some missiles and missile rails might be nice.
Looks to me like there's a seam on the wingtips that suggests they are adjustable. They could straighten out for landing purposes. That would help with reduce the length of the landing gear.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

I did indeed put a seam on the wingtip to suggest that it folds for landing or storage, much like the ventral fin on some MiGs (23 and 27 I think) and I was also thinking that if I had it so that the main wings folded up and the tips fold down it would be an awesome carrier fighter. The wings would just concertina out of the way! Not realistic maybe, but might look good deploying in a little animation. Might test that out now.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

As a personal opinion I find the T-tail more original, although the twin one is also very nice. Looking forward to see more images.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Check out the follwoing quick test animation, showing the fighter in Stowed mode, then take/off landing and finally full flight mode. The wings are not actually hinged or made correctly yet, I just bent the hell out of them for the test using morph maps to see how it looks. I'll actually have to make proper articulated wings. I also notice I managed to warp the ends of the canards too, must fix that as well.

Canard fighter animation, 574k DivX 5.2
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

One thing is sure ... you do know how to work 3D :wink:

Could the nose have any impact on aircraft perfomance on higher speed?
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well the nose is about as unaerodynamic as you can get, also the wing deployment seem a bit too complex for me.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Looks good.

I only have one real design change suggestion. Change the intake. You have a single intake feeding to engines. The location of the intake makes loading ordinance on the fighter most difficult. Try moving the intake onto the very side of the aircraft, something along the lines of the F-22. The intake would line up nicely with the engines nicely and give you more room on the belley of the plane for weapon pylons.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

And there is a problem with the animation. You have the wing tips fold out, go straight with the wing, then fold back down. They should just fold right into position and lock.

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

If you read it you'll see they are actually in 3 positions for a reason. Stowed - takeoff/landing - Flight. I had the wingtips go straight rather than straight down to show the clearance needed for landing and takeoff.

If I move the intake I then have to redesign the whole aircraft, and it'll end up looking like a Raptor if we keep adding bits that look like a Raptor to it. The Falcon gets away with one big intake, maybe I can do the same with one wide one on the underside. Stores are more inhibited by the landing gear than anything else, and I agree the wing folding is complex and a bit dodgy, but still fun to animate. I'll have a rethink and maybe rebuild the model a bit better this time, rather than the low-detail this one was made in. Any more tips or suggestions before I restart?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The Falcon gets away with one big intake because its so far forward and its a fairly long fighter. Yours is rather small all things considered. Space for ordinance would be a premium. So far you have room for maybe 4 missiles total due to the nature of the wings.