Best Video Game Soundtrack -- Ever

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Medic
Sith Devotee

Best Video Game Soundtrack -- Ever

Post by Medic »

I used to be in Final Fantasy 6's camp, despite the quality and probably because more than a little bit of bias on my part. I always loved the Ace Combat 4 soundtrack as well. Ring of Red had some great music as did Zoe 2. But I've finally found the best video game soundtrack, for both it's quality and it's quantity.

Ace Combat 5. The Hangar song (in the first half of the game) is just great. Again, the game's composer (I assume it's the same guy) manages to mix classical orchestrated instruments with guitars and rock n roll type drumsets seamlessly together. The music is great and after some reflection, really blows AC04 out of the water. I used to think the opposite and to be certain, AC04 has some great songs, but it doesn't have nearly the quantity and the quality is at best, marginally better, although I now believe AC05 beats it out there too.

So, any other submissions to the best video and PC game soundtracks out there?
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

I really liked the Heroes of Might and Magic 2 soundtrack. The music went wonderfully well with the mythical elements of the game.

Icewind Dale had an excellent soundtrack too.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Commandos 2: Men of Courage - one word: Epic.

Command & Conquer and C&C Red Alert 1/2 - many famous pieces, including Mechanical Man and of course Hell March.

Chaos Gate - obligatory 40k mention.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

ah chao's gate. "Milles Fortes" chanted every few seconds or whatnot
i loved that game

my personal favourite has got to be the soundtrack to bobble bubble.
what? :P
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The music to Homeworld was suitably atmospheric. Every time i hear William Barber all i can think of is a battleship on fire and venting atmosphere.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Final Fantasy VII had a great soundtrack - Cloud's Theme will always have a special place in my heart and the Orchestral version of One Winged Angel is AWESOME.

I like the random songs from the 80's that pop up on the cars that I steal in GTA:Vice City, really makes me feel like I'm back in the 80's.

I add a vote for Homeworld, it had a very atmospheric soundtrack that just made you feel like you were part of an epic story.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Homeworld's was excellent....but it was all downhill from the Launch scene. That was....perfect.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

No offence and/or disrespect meant, but a similar thread has been posted before, by Darksider. Everyone's answears might be somewhat influenced/equal to the ones posted there.
Anyway, my fav soundtracks are C&C: Tiberian Twilight and Red Alert too, following with the soundtracks from the Civilization games.
Mark S wrote:Maybe they're allowed to have all the casual sex they want. It's not sex that's forbidden, it's attachment.

"Go forth and fuck her brains out, my young Padawan. Just remember, no cuddling and pillow talk afterwards."
- Concerning the topic "Jedi training and sexuality"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

White Haven wrote:Homeworld's was excellent....but it was all downhill from the Launch scene. That was....perfect.
Agreed... But then again, I don't think anyone could sustain that past the opening. That was a rare gem.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Oh, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I mean, downhill from perfection is only natural, yes? :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Obviously none of you have ever heard the Toejam and Earl soundtrack.

Fools, all of you.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Halo, dammit! :P Mmmmmmmmm, MJOLNIR... *Hums the escape music from the Maw.*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Spy Vs. Spy.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

White Haven wrote:Homeworld's was excellent....but it was all downhill from the Launch scene. That was....perfect.
Burning of Khrak.

But yes, you win ;)

Freespace 2 deserves a mention.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

pretty much all of square soft's games have had fantastic music, with a handful of exceptions.

alternatively the soundtracks for tekken tag tourney and tekken 3 were good. as were the soundtracks for the various KoF games. gah. too many good ones to pick a single one.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I have /never/ played an RTS that made me want to beat the holy howling hell out of some random enemies as much as I did during the Burning of Kharak. Those poor assault frigates. :twisted:

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

White Haven wrote:I have /never/ played an RTS that made me want to beat the holy howling hell out of some random enemies as much as I did during the Burning of Kharak. Those poor assault frigates. :twisted:
Too bad you had to capture them ;)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

TOTAL ANNIHILATION
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

Guilty Gear X/Guilty Gear XX

Also, Final Fantasy 10. I don't think there's ever going to be a piece of music as emotional as the ending theme (not Suteki Da Ne).
Darth Bowser
Youngling

Post by Darth Bowser »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Obviously none of you have ever heard the Toejam and Earl soundtrack.
I miss that game.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Stravo: With finally owning the FFVII soundtrack (all four discs of it :shock: ) I must agree with you.

However, one game that I always felt had rocken music was Doom and Doom 2. Haven't really played Doom 3 yet, so I can't say anything about that, but fuck... Doom and Doom 2, man. They knew what they were doing with them thar MIDIs....
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Cn&C Red Alert 1 and 2 were pretty damn cool. i still play Hell March when im off fighting the hordes on some multiplayer games
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Bertie Wooster wrote:I really liked the Heroes of Might and Magic 2 soundtrack. The music went wonderfully well with the mythical elements of the game.
The HoMM 3 soundtrack was the best of the series, IMO.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

FF6's Cele's Theme, and the piano version of Terra's theme

The Final Fantasy VII Soundtrack still ranks as the best VGmusic in my book

Except maybe Chrono Trigger....
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

For starters, every Star Wars game. Even the ones that don't use movie music (like KOTOR, Republic Commando, Dark Forces, etc) are amazing.

Halo. Martin O'Donnell is great.

"Tom Clancy" games also have great soundtracks, especially the main themes. To my ear, Bill Brown is often like a cross between Hans Zimmer and James Horner.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman