ROTS Trailer *SPOILERS*

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Tribun wrote:The last scene makes me wonder. I've read that "Vader and Palpatine watch the construction of their new weapon". Of course we know what is meant, but that strikes me as strange.
They had build a 800km DS to 60% in 6 months, so why 18! years for a 160km one? Of course that could be only the test model (we know they have build at least one) of it. Also design and developing the design for the real construction will take time.
I hope that not becomes some huge contraidiction of known facts.
The simplest explaination is that at the end of the Clone Wars, Palpatine didn't have the control nor the resources that he had at theight of the Empire.
I always thought that maybe the construction of DSII had already started before DSI was blown up... Palpy just kept it a more closely guarded secret until he wanted the Rebels to know about it... if this is horribly contradicted by the films at some point, do keep in mind it's been a couple years since I saw Return of the Jedi...

now, as to the trailer, since this is pretty much the first of I've seen about the new movie, my personal favorite bit of Palpatine bad-assery has to be "not from a Jedi"...
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I know that Palpy/Sidious has unimaginable control of the Force, but.... what's with Sidious' crap teeth?
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Darth P44 wrote:
Dahak wrote:
Lord Poe wrote: Strangely, I had a vision of a similar scene way back before TPM opened. But it was Anakin alone, marching into the Jedi Temple, and not even slowing down as he is confronted by Jedi who are Force-choked to death as he walks by them.
Leni Riefenstahl had such scenes in mind way before Lucas ever thought of Starwars :mrgreen:
Fear the power of Nazi-propaganda style :D
Also the closing shots of AOTC, when the clones are marching to the ships and parading, with the ships lifting and going to war, with Palpatine and his entourage watching, were based in "The Triumph of the Will", that documented the NSDAP Gathering at Nuremberg, 1934.

She was a great cineast, no doubt about it, no matter the Evil portryed...it fits greatly with the SITH REVENGE
The closing of ANH also was apparently inspired by the same propaganda film.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Styphon wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Tribun wrote:The last scene makes me wonder. I've read that "Vader and Palpatine watch the construction of their new weapon". Of course we know what is meant, but that strikes me as strange.
They had build a 800km DS to 60% in 6 months, so why 18! years for a 160km one? Of course that could be only the test model (we know they have build at least one) of it. Also design and developing the design for the real construction will take time.
I hope that not becomes some huge contraidiction of known facts.
The simplest explaination is that at the end of the Clone Wars, Palpatine didn't have the control nor the resources that he had at theight of the Empire.
I always thought that maybe the construction of DSII had already started before DSI was blown up... Palpy just kept it a more closely guarded secret until he wanted the Rebels to know about it... if this is horribly contradicted by the films at some point, do keep in mind it's been a couple years since I saw Return of the Jedi...
This is horribly contradicted by the fact that the second Death Star did not have the first's vulnerability.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rogue 9 wrote:This is horribly contradicted by the fact that the second Death Star did not have the first's vulnerability.
It wouldn't be that hard to alter the design to remove the vunerability.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Indeed. Britannic, Titanic's sister ship, had been under construction for over five months when the disaster occurred. They revised the design to include improved safety features, resulting in a ship that didn't look different externally (save for the enormous number of lifeboats).

If they were to overwrite EU, it would make sense that the DS2 had been under construction for some time before ANH, unless it's stated in the canon.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

NecronLord wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:This is horribly contradicted by the fact that the second Death Star did not have the first's vulnerability.
It wouldn't be that hard to alter the design to remove the vunerability.
The RotJ opening crawl suggests otherwise, though I suppose it's up for interpretation. . .

Little does Luke know that the
GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly
begun construction on a new
armored space station even
more powerful than the first
dreaded Death Star

This suggests that construction on the DSII began well after the first was destroyed.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yes, any idea of the DS2 starting construction anywhere near the first one doesn't work. You can't "begin" construction on something you started building almost 20 years ago.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

The quote from RotJ's crawl came to mind after writing my post. How easy is it to rationalize the time discrepancy between DSI's and II's construction? No doubt R&D time was involved in the development of the first, but I would've thought that would be dealt with before construction.

I still hope that what's seen at the end of RotS can be rationalized as one of the prototypes, and not the beginning of the station that's seen 19 years later.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Also in the end...unless somewhere in canon disagrees with SoTE...it's quite moot.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Firefox wrote:
I still hope that what's seen at the end of RotS can be rationalized as one of the prototypes, and not the beginning of the station that's seen 19 years later.
Probably, but also, as I said earlier, the Empire had to keep this station completely secret from the Senate, needing to do that would lead to much longer construction time for the Death Star I. With the DSII, they could send as many funds and material into the project as needed, and not worry about any outcries from the Senate, so it could be contructed much faster.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

kheegan wrote:I know that Palpy/Sidious has unimaginable control of the Force, but.... what's with Sidious' crap teeth?
I thought we already explained this, he's British.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Well, according to WEGs DeathStar-TechManual the empire needed two years to build the first DS.

Of course the same quote also claims, that it put all resources available into the project.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Trytostaydead wrote:I thought we already explained this, he's British.
:finger:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Umm...this might be a rather stupid question,but why is it likely that the suited Vader and Emperor are watching the construction of something related to the DS?

Is there are a major spoiler in this?
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

kheegan wrote:Umm...this might be a rather stupid question,but why is it likely that the suited Vader and Emperor are watching the construction of something related to the DS?

Is there are a major spoiler in this?

I'd call it a largish spoiler. . .
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

The Original Nex wrote:Probably, but also, as I said earlier, the Empire had to keep this station completely secret from the Senate, needing to do that would lead to much longer construction time for the Death Star I.
I was under the impression that the DS wasn't secret, in that it was under the guise of a mining tool, destroying planets to more easily acquire their natural resources.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Firefox wrote:
The Original Nex wrote:Probably, but also, as I said earlier, the Empire had to keep this station completely secret from the Senate, needing to do that would lead to much longer construction time for the Death Star I.
I was under the impression that the DS wasn't secret, in that it was under the guise of a mining tool, destroying planets to more easily acquire their natural resources.
Where'd you get that idea? Every source I've seen (including the canon ANH Radio Drama) says that the Death Star was constructed under the utmost secrecy, and (according to said Radio Drama) the Senate was not aware of its construction or existance.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Indeed. I can't remember where I'd heard it, and hoped someone else had heard similar. Pay my comment no mind, then.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Firefox wrote:Indeed. I can't remember where I'd heard it, and hoped someone else had heard similar. Pay my comment no mind, then.
Probably mixing it up with KJA and how Bevel and gang tricked the naive scientist into thinking World Devastators and Death Star were mining tools meant to gain easier access to the minerals trapped in dead planets.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Exactly it. Found a source here. Sorry for the mix-up.
Alexus
Padawan Learner

Post by Alexus »

"Are you threatening me master jedi?"

Sorry, sorry, I just love that bit.