Your favourite rock/pop pianists

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zaia
Inamorata

Your favourite rock/pop pianists

Post by Zaia »

Piano rock is one of my favourite genres of music to listen to, and I'm always on the lookout for new artists to discover. Who are some of your favourites?

Mine: Tori Amos, Billy Joel, Sarah McLachlan, Ben Folds, Chantal Kreviazuk, Alanis Morissette, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Anna Nalick (what I've heard so far, anyway), Fiona Apple, Harry Connick Jr., and Jamie Cullum (the last two are half jazz/half popular)
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Of the ones I know.

Billy Joel, Tori Amos, Alanis Morrisette, Sarah McLachlan, Ben Folds, Fiona Apple.

There's probably more, but those I remember for now
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

My favorite is Glen Harding. He's best known as Elvis' piano player in the 70's.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

RAY CHARLES, who I cannot BELIEVE has not been mentioned.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Myra Ellen Amos of course. She's the piano singer babe.

Then there's Sarah Slean, who I think of as the Canadian Myra Ellen Amos.

Sarah McLachlan & Chantal Kreviazuk were already mentioned, but I do need to add that they're cute and I'd sleep with them if I were single and they weren't married.

Hawksley Workman does some nice stuff too, kinda weird but in a good way.

And I'm drawing a blank now so I'll just say Billy Joel, because I have his "Pianoman" album on vinyl from way back in the day before they had CDs.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

In addition to those already mentioned, Freddie Mercury. The Deathstalker is a Queen fanboy, but Freddie could play and write.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Alanis Morissette and Elton John.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Teo Cardalda and Maria Monsonis.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Whoever the piano playing guy is from the band Keane. With just a piano, some drums and a singer they make soom good music IMO
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

Jason Moran. Mind you, it's purely Jazz, but he's my fav piano player.
Mark S wrote:Maybe they're allowed to have all the casual sex they want. It's not sex that's forbidden, it's attachment.

"Go forth and fuck her brains out, my young Padawan. Just remember, no cuddling and pillow talk afterwards."
- Concerning the topic "Jedi training and sexuality"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Jerry Lee Lewis/Little Richard: The first Piano Rockers

Ray Manzarak as one of the understated inovators, besides work on the doors, he also mixed and did synth work for the Punk Band "X"

Sir. Elton John- can't discuss piano rock without mentioning him, along with Emerson Lake and Palmer he's responsible for blazing the trail of acceptance for piano rock in the 1970's

ELP: damn, again there would have been no others, very moving musically.

Thomas Dolby: guitar keyboard combo that set the Synth-rock tone for the early eighties, often copied

Sarah McLaughlin: very cool and soul touching, and being the third best marskwoman in Canada, makes her someone I would never say anything bad about. <for those who don't know her first claim to fame was as an olympian>

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Billy Joel
Elton John
Ben Folds
Alanis Morrisette
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

aside from the obvious classics, whoever it is that does the keyboards in Dream Theater.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Darth_Zod wrote:aside from the obvious classics, whoever it is that does the keyboards in Dream Theater.
That'd be Jordan Rudess, and yes, he's amazing. Went to Julliard at the age of nine for classical piano.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Billy Joel, without question. "Piano Man" is a classic, even for people who don't like him.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Durandal wrote:Billy Joel, without question. "Piano Man" is a classic, even for people who don't like him.
Piano man is good, but I like "Goodnight Saigon" and "You may be right" more.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Dear god do I love Tori Amos.

And because I'm weird and listen to things no one's ever heard of, The Dresden Dolls. They rank #1. Tori is only slightly under them.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The guy from Dragonforce is pretty damn good, when I can get over the goddamn cheese of the rest of the song. :P
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Franz Liszt.

What? His music was popular when he was alive. :D
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.