Most Maudlin Game Music?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Most Maudlin Game Music?

Post by Ryoga »

So, yeah, what video game tune do you think is the most depressing? You know, the kind of music that almost makes ya tear up or at least something similar?

I'd have to say it's really tough to choose between Into The Dusk (Ace Combat 5), the ending theme from FFX (not Suteki Da Ne, the one before that), Aeris' theme, and Sage Raruto from Wind Waker.

What about you?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

"Enclosure" from Metal Gear Solid.

(The track that plays after the second Sniper Wolf battle)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Planescape: Torment's soundtrack is nicely maudlin, melencholy, and fatalistic.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Metal Gear Solid, The Best is Yet to Come.

Chrono Trigger, Marle's Theme I believe it is. The sad music.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

In Homeworld, as the planet Kharrak is destroyed from an orbital bombardment, a choral version of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings plays. It's a depressing scene.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:In Homeworld, as the planet Kharrak is destroyed from an orbital bombardment, a choral version of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings plays. It's a depressing scene.
Seconded, one of the most traumatizing moments for me in a computer or video game.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It could because what kind of games I have, but the capture of Azzameen home base in X-Wing Alliance (I can't remember was Music made for the movies, but fitted scene perfectly
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

various squaresoft themes come to mind, notably ones from chrono trigger and xenogears.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

The loader theme to Green Beret.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Lord Revan wrote:It could because what kind of games I have, but the capture of Azzameen home base in X-Wing Alliance (I can't remember was Music made for the movies, but fitted scene perfectly
IIRC, I think part of it might have been the music to the final duel between Vader and Luke from RotJ. I say part of it, because XWA's music is just a bunch of William's compositions spliced together. Whoever the music editor for that game was did a damned good job of it. It's not easy to seemlessly blend music together like that.

The music was also used in the final duel between Katarn and Dessan in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, but somehow it didn't come off as well as I hoped it would.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

That alternate version of Lavos's Theme from Chrono Trigger. The one when Crono, Marle and Lucca discover the record of the Day of Lavos in 2300AD.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.