My first halfway decent 3D drawing [Mechanical Pencil]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

My first halfway decent 3D drawing [Mechanical Pencil]

Post by Pu-239 »

Real one:
Image- mine is brown instead of cherry though.

Large:

Made w/ Blender, rendered w/ Yafray.
Took roughly an entire day to do. Also realized a TNT2 is woefully inadequate for the task of modeling anything complex.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pretty good.
There seem to be some errors at the tip. I mean these black spots. Got a wireframe?
Also, raise the Value of the shadow map (or what ever that´s called in blender) so that the shadow doesn´t look grainy at its edges.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Looks like good modeling, nothing I can really suggest to improve. Add some good textures and it'll be convincing.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I think the black spots are just reflections. I'm more concerned about the poor quality of the mesh for the grip.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Much love man, much love.

Is the rubber grip part a part of the model, or is it a texture?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Shinova wrote:Much love man, much love.

Is the rubber grip part a part of the model, or is it a texture?
Model- I still haven't figured out how to put image textures on, and generated textures (as opposed to materials- I get the two confused) don't seem to work well with Yafray (and I hate the results of the builtin raytracer, which is also massively slow.

Anyway, fixed the tip (I smoothed out the whole mesh- forgot to make the tip solid).

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Why is the tip in two colors? Just wondering...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

It's reflecting off of the blue background and the paper.

lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

If you've got reflections enabled, you'll want to use a spherical environment map. That's the most important part in making convincing reflective materials, giving them something to reflect.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pu-239 wrote:I think the black spots are just reflections. I'm more concerned about the poor quality of the mesh for the grip.
Ah, the shadow is much better now. :D

And the black spots might have been shadows which looked weird for the same reasons the shadow´s edges were grainy.

Don´t know about the mesh, but if you posted a wireframe...
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Very nice. And I must compliment you on your selection of writing utensils. I own several PHDs myself, they're just that comfortable and good. :)
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

salm wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:I think the black spots are just reflections. I'm more concerned about the poor quality of the mesh for the grip.
Ah, the shadow is much better now. :D

And the black spots might have been shadows which looked weird for the same reasons the shadow´s edges were grainy.

Don´t know about the mesh, but if you posted a wireframe...
http://geocities.com/jhnphm/pencil.zip

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

lPeregrine wrote:If you've got reflections enabled, you'll want to use a spherical environment map. That's the most important part in making convincing reflective materials, giving them something to reflect.
Is this applicable if I'm using the raytracer?

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I meant post a picture of the wireframe not the model. :)

See i don´t have Blender and importing DXF files is always a bit of a problem because it often gets fucked up.

So i´m not sure if it was imported correctly. If it was imported correctly i think the problem of this mesh are the lacking edgeloops.

The red mesh is your DXF file i imported, the green mesh it what it´s supposed to look like:

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

What are edgeloops? Also, the green mesh isn't triangular in the middle.

lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Pu-239 wrote:
lPeregrine wrote:If you've got reflections enabled, you'll want to use a spherical environment map. That's the most important part in making convincing reflective materials, giving them something to reflect.
Is this applicable if I'm using the raytracer?
Yes. If you've got any reflective materials in the scene, you need the environment map. Especially if they're things like the metal tip, where most of the color is taken from reflections. You need to give it something to reflect in the places where scene objects aren't reflected, or it's never going to look right. As for why a spherical map, that makes it reflect like there's something out in the distance surrounding it.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Thanks- looks better now-

Posted on DA- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16941537/

lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Pu-239 wrote:Thanks- looks better now-

Posted on DA- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16941537/
Comment posted there already, I actually caught it in the latest submssions part before seeing this. The new renderer is a definite improvement, the tip reflections are looking a lot better now.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pu-239 wrote:What are edgeloops?
Loops of edges that go around the object in the green mesh but not in the red mesh.
Also, the green mesh isn't triangular in the middle.
What do you mean? The Polys on the object that are extruded inwards? That doesn´t matter, i wanted to demonstrate the principle. You need these edgeloops or you will likely get mesh errors when rendering. 5 gazillion vertices per poly = TEH EVAIL.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Huh? I do have those-

Problem seems to be the use of knife subdividing to draw out the teardrops, where there are rendering errors on the edges- can't seem to think of a better way, other than manually subdividing the end of each groove, which is tedious.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pu-239 wrote:Huh? I do have those-

Problem seems to be the use of knife subdividing to draw out the teardrops, where there are rendering errors on the edges- can't seem to think of a better way, other than manually subdividing the end of each groove, which is tedious.
Aha, then the DWG mesh didn´t import correctly into Max.

What is this knife subdividing thing? Something that automatically smoothes the mesh? That would explain it. If you´re using automatic smoothing any polygons other that Quads will fuck up the mesh if smoothed. The render errors appear everywhere you have triangular polys.

Or it might be the smoothing groups (the groups you put polygons into to tell them if the shading of the surface should blend smooth or hard into the next polygon).
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

salm wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:Huh? I do have those-

Aha, then the DWG mesh didn´t import correctly into Max.

What is this knife subdividing thing? Something that automatically smoothes the mesh? That would explain it. If you´re using automatic smoothing any polygons other that Quads will fuck up the mesh if smoothed. The render errors appear everywhere you have triangular polys.

Or it might be the smoothing groups (the groups you put polygons into to tell them if the shading of the surface should blend smooth or hard into the next polygon).
Ah- ok- will keep this in mind for future projects (last render's errors aren't really noticible). Thanks.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Looks great.

Doesn't look real, but it looks great all the less. ;)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"