Homeworld2: ISD vs Sajuuk

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Thirdfain wrote:PD mod for Homeworld 2? can this be something I am pointed to?
Sure; linky.

Be aware, it hammers your system. They arent joking when they call it a point defense mod, everything fires like crazy and fills space for screens with weapons fire.

Do not bring a fighter to a cap ship fight, they are called flak bait :twisted:
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Heh, i only played HW1 and Cataclysm and i found them both very well done. Excellent really, some of the best RTS i've played. Not all that 'build a base, tank rush' BS like Command and Conquer. I really enjoyed being able to just hyper away (in the skirmish against the computer) when it pulled that crap! Oh noes! A swarm of frigates...HYPER! Suck it Taiidan. :twisted:

I never played HW2 though. Tell me...how bad did they fuck with my favorite RTS? Is it really so bad whole races disappear?
Kanye West Saves.

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

It's not.. /bad/. It's just different. They added a lot of elements I like, such as subsystem destruction, or keeping fighters in fixed squadrons.

But they did rather make the plot... not recognizable as a Homeworld Sequel. First, the Taiidan? No idea what happened to them. PRESUMABLY, the Vaygr ate em. HW:C? Doesn't exist it seems. Karen S'Jet? She's now MAGIC JESUS POWERED, and came back from a wet T-shirt contest. *sigh*.

The game was fun, and more balanced than HW1 was in Single Player certainly. But they also really upped the 'Rock-Paper-Scissors'ness of it all.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Yeah, the plot is something I want burned. As are the script writers.

But yeah, the Vagyr allied with the Taiidan, hence their stripey ships. The Turanics have vanished without a trace, the Kadeshi are MIA(I really liked them, too) and the Tiamat are only technically in there.

But, game wise it's great if a little... um... insane. Why are my fighters being built by a yellow brick bolted to the side of my mothership? Why on earth don't my frigates carry hyperdrives again? On the upside though, the weirdo energy guns from Cata have vanished. I just prefer smacking chunks of metal into my foes, not a red blob of Doom.

Hmm, perhaps a Homeworld tech thread would be a good idea at some point?
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

I read that a Homeworld 3 won't be made because Relic was bought out by Vivendi Univeral's direct competitors. Even so, I think another HW game should be made, perhaps with Barking Dog again. A game that would decanonize HW2, at least. Say Karen S'jet became a big politician on early Hiigara, got married, and died at a ripe old age. Not become this freaky immortal girl. Oh, look at my bald head, more tubes running out of it than the Borg Queen, and my cyan eyes!
Some Cataclysm tech should be included, like the Repulsor and - my favorite idea - inertialess drive. This is what Bentusi trade ships and the Naggarok used to move around.
And I did hate the Energy Cannons. If I could get a mod for Cataclysm, I'd remove that wank-tech right away. Guns rock. Plasma guns don't.
I think something revealing the fate of the Protectors of Kadesh would be excellent. One other thing I liked was the idea of equipping the battlecruiser with a hangar deck. Almost reminds me of the Executor SSD. Almost.
I second the idea of a HW tech thread, and a thread to devise some idea on what happened to the Turanic Raiders would be good.
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

(edit: I meant the HW2 battlecruiser had a hangar deck) I need an edit button. Crap.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They did kinda hint at the origins of the Junkyard Dawg though in HW2. The Kadeshi... meh. Everyone wonders about them, but I'd imagine only living on salvaged ships means a whole lot of them died when Bananaship Mark I flew through the Nebula. Perhaps enough to render them effectively extinct after 100 years, when HW2 takes place.

Still though, if Cataclysm was considered 100 percent canon, you'd get awful red-ball shooting turrets, or those insane Super Acolytes. (Hey, we're the Bentusi! Our fighters equal two of your dedicated anti-capital frigates!) Rather embarrasing watching a battlecruiser get shot to death by three fighters, wouldn't you say?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Don't remind me of the Dawg -.- I hate that thing. Until I gravwelled it and had my fleet introduce it to the fine art of shooting fish in a barrel.

As for the Kadeshi, the Needleships don't really have much inner space. I don't see the entire race living on four of them, for one thing. Plus, something's got to be in the nebula to have built them. (The 'Ark Ships' from a couple of fanfics seem sensible).

And please burn the Super Acolytes.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Hey Super Acolytes kick ass!

Dont break the Bentusi's balls because they have sweet ass tech!

Course i dont know if Bentusi have balls, per se. But still!
Kanye West Saves.

Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

Super Acolytes were a pure wankfest. :evil:
Anyway, I agree that the Kadesh couldn't have all lived on the Needle Motherships. There was a Khar Toba sister ship in the Nebula, just as much population perhaps as the Kushan - probably in the hundreds of millions. In fact, I think there could have been more Kadesh Hiigarans than Karaki. I expect they had big space stations or even colonies deep in the nebula where no one could easily find them. That's a huge nebula.
A side note, where do you find these Homeworld fanfics? I'm curious.

- Ra
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Super Acolytes made perfect sense for those of us who enabled Tradeships in the original Homeworld as buildable, or who made the terminal mistake of attacking them with our little fleet from the first few missions.

Sweet Baby Jesus, those things were broken. I have to wonder how big the fleet sent to disable one of them was when it began the attack.

That being said, seriously, there were only about a half-dozen possible threads from HW to be explored. None of them for HW2? You even had to make the HS core they farking left behind magic?(Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing at all in the Homeworld manual implies they hauled the core from the crash site to orbit.)
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Right here
For the Ark Ships and some damned fine writing: Kadeshi Crusade

As for the Bentusi, I think you'd have to break the vulerable module between their hulls.
In general, the HW universe is fairly realistic, I find. Things like the Naggarok drive and Super Acolytes just seem out of place.
*enormous star-shaped shadow appears above home*
uuuh... The Tiamat are fine though. Don't kill me >_o
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

*edit*The Manual states that the Hiigarans built their own core for the MS, 12 times the size of the Khar-Toba's (bigger ship, bigger core) as well as a few test drives.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Vanas wrote:*edit*The Manual states that the Hiigarans built their own core for the MS, 12 times the size of the Khar-Toba's (bigger ship, bigger core) as well as a few test drives.
Thank you. May HW2's storyline be forever banished down the hole we call 'Alternate Universe'.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Hey, when the Tiamat Planet Killers appeared, that was a cinematic moment, with the eerie, arabic-ish music. It fits the entire theme of the series really. (Jews... in... SPAAAACE!)

But I digress. The HW1 backstory says they found a drive in their old exile transport ship, and copied it's tech, building one that was enlarged several times for use with a far bigger ship.

In HW2, they have the Lost Ark basically guiding their ship, some kinda hyperspace holy relic that only weakly explains why the Mothership has it. They rationalize their previous stuff by saying the enlarged 12x stuff was just the mounting for the holy core or whatever. Ugh. Please leave /bad/ religion outside of my space epic, thankyouverymuch.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

That should have read Kharaki, not Hiigaran. Ugh, so many names for one race.

As for the Missile platforms, that was possibly the best moment in the game. Shame they weren't, you know.... Tiamat.

Anyway, the planet killers were baaaad. A small frontier fleet of the Taiidan Empire carried a single ADW that burned Kharak. The Vagyr ones spam missles like there's no tomorrow.

is nothing sacred?
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

Thanks for the link, Vanas.
Anyway, the whole Holy Hyperspace Cores, Batman! crap stewed me. It was made quite clear that the hyperdrive was reverse-engineered for the Mothership, not some sacred relic. If the other ships in the Kushan fleet didn't have the Sacred Far Jumper, how did they accompany the MS to Hiigara?
They did, becaus the SFJ is a bunch of crap. A hyperdrive is a hyperdrive is a hyperdrive.
BTW. Is it just me, or did neo-BSG seem to copy the big Homeworld Arabic Music thing? I like the Arabic music in HW, that's why in BSG it just seems so... copied.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Given the hyperspace system in HW2, I'd assume that we're suppposed to belive that the fleet was simply following in the wake of the MS's hyperspace jump.
But that'd give credibility to HW2.
I feel dirty now.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

*Reads Posts*

Um, is it especially bad that I have ONLY played HW2 and as such, evidently have had my mind 'polouted' by what everyone seems to bee generally agreeing is a horrible plot and game?

I mean, not having played the others, and only skimming over the HW-Expansion, I guess I wasn't biased one way or another when I got HW2,.

I'l Admit, I could have done without the whole 'Choosen One' thing...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

At least in HW2, unlike Cata, the Bentusi weren't terrified little wussies, or psychotic. There were parent-like, fitting with the entire 'we saved your butts' stuff in HW1. Then again.. according to ancient HW2 history, the Hiigarans totally were exhiled /due/ to the Bentusi stepping in and stopping Sajuuk... what was I saying? *looks around confusedly, scratches her head*
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

According to the ancient history of HW2, the Bentusi pwned the Kushan navy 3,000 years ago, meaning that the Taiidan went in and raped the Kushan Empire.

On the other hand, it could just be that there was a big war between Taiidan and Kushan, the Kushan lost and the Taiidan would have commited xenocide if the Bentusi hadn't stepped in.

Your choice. I prefer the original idea from HW
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

I agree that the Bentusi were made out to be total cowards in Cataclysm. I mean, these people attacked the Somtaaw and probably killed hundreds all because they destroyed the emitter devices on the uber-slipgate. And don't forget their great cry:
"WE WILL NOT BE BOOOOOOOUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD!"
Anyway, the whole HW2 thing is confusing. It seems to spin in circles, is filled with more plot holes... bah. This thread is beginning to get way OT. We might better start a new HW versus HW2 thread or something before a mod locks this. After all, this has nothing to do with an ISD versus Sajuuk. :wink:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ra wrote:After all, this has nothing to do with an ISD versus Sajuuk. :wink:
Hey, I don't mind :D I just like talking about HW and it's ship
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Just think of it getting into the fundamental depths of the existence of Sajuuk.
In HW, Sajuuk(He Who's Hand Shapes What Is) was simply their name for God. In HW2, it's a big ship with an uber-cannon.

HW1 Sajuuk can 0wn an ISD.
HW2 Sajuuk can't.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Well, Sajuuk originally /was/ an SSD for all intents and purposes... :P

http://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/hws/ ... 0403-f.jpg

That's one of the concept arts. The unofficial caption made by Wellofsouls is 'The Hiigaran's new enemy: The Galactic Empire?