Movie scores that surprised you

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

RogueIce
_______

Movie scores that surprised you

Post by RogueIce »

Have you ever seen a movie, heard the score, and been surprised that it was very developed/moving/exceptional/whatever? I was a bit shocked myself when I bought the OST to Team America: World Police. I originally bought it just for "America, Fuck Yeah!" because I was in a silly mood. But then I listened to it and was suitably impressed, especially by "Lisa & Gary" and "F.A.G.". They were pretty moving and very well done pieces.

So, any similar stories out there?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Thirteen Days. I bought the score to pick up one or two of the cues I thought were pretty good, but didn't expect the rest of the score to be equally well composed.

I'd almost say The Final Countdown, but I'd practically memorized the score from watching the movie several times.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I thought the South Park score was really good. I never thought the movie would have musical numbers, but damnit it did and they were good.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Phantom Menace. I didn't think I'd like any "new" Star Wars music; to me the music was already defined. Then Duel of the Fates played.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Star Wars EP1, I wasn't too impressed with most of OT's music, but damn if the Podrace and Duel of Fates wasn't great.

Kill Bill, I was expecting a clichy trashy electronical soundtrack for the fights, instead got awesome stuff.

South Park movie Muscials, need I say more?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Neo BSG Miniseries OST. I despised the mini and thought the music was reminscent of that awful B5 Call to Arms and later Crusade soundtrack.

But I purchased it anyway based on the single cue "To kiss or not to kiss" that I loved from the show and have gone on to fall in love with the rest of the soundtrack, listen to at least several tracks almost every day and anxiously await the release of Season 1's soundtrack. Something very primal and moving about the drunmbeats, off tempo battle music and especially the soft moving music such as "Reunion" and "Apollo Dies" AWESOME stuff and there have been several times in the series that the music actually brought a tear to my eye.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I *must* find a copy of that soundtrack.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Firefox wrote:Thirteen Days. .
Is that the one with the mosic they use in trailers for every political thriller that comes out these days? See the trailer for Thirteen days (I think) if you want to hear it.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I may have heard music that sounded very similar to it, at least. It's pretty much the current penultimate political soundtrack.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

The main theme from Hot Shots: Part Deux I always thought to be extremely heroic sounding considering the movie it was from. But thats Basil Poleduris for you.

So then the followup score to Hot Shots is Starship Troopers. Again Poleduris.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Can't think of any right now, but the music to 'The West Wing' continually surprises me, both with Snuffy Walden's compositions and the popular songs he sprinkles into the show now and then. He does a great job.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Hellfire
Redshirt

Post by Hellfire »

While I do not really like The Phantom Meanace, I loved Duel of Fates. Imperial March is still my favorite. I love the music from the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.
Oh I'm sorry, were you killing somthing?