Star Trek/Star Wars: The Best of Both Worlds

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

JME2 wrote:I also have two more signature variants, one a simple alteration of the text, the other of the color filters. Which one looks better to you guys?

I like the first one better. Looks more realisitc, the second looks to out of color with reality...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

* One, two, three points to Gryffa -- I mean, the Collective... 8)

And as a bonus for you, I promised an apperance by Seven and I delivered, did I not?

As for the parodies, that's what I love about writing Q; as omnipresent beings, they have knowledge of and access to elements of pop-culture and it's a fun way to poke fun and pay tribute.

As for the signatures, let's not forget the black and white version, either...

Edit -- # 2

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Very nice, I'm intriqued by the person who's phoning up Daniels, since she also referred to the outbound project.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Good chapter, JME2.
JME2 wrote:For a moment, despite the pain and the onset of seizures that Q thought he would only have experienced by seeing a dyslexic, yellow rodent shoot out electricity through a television screen
Since when was Pikachu dyslexic? :?:

And why did the Reman who feels all paternal toward Shizon refer to his late wife as his angel of the night? If that's a Gargoyles reference, I can't say I understand it. I never watched Nemesis and don't know much about the Remans.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote:Good chapter, JME2.
JME2 wrote:For a moment, despite the pain and the onset of seizures that Q thought he would only have experienced by seeing a dyslexic, yellow rodent shoot out electricity through a television screen
Since when was Pikachu dyslexic? :?: .
Pikachu can't speak proper English. 8) :twisted:

So, another point to Gryffan -- Trog.
And why did the Reman who feels all paternal toward Shizon refer to his late wife as his angel of the night? If that's a Gargoyles reference, I can't say I understand it. I never watched Nemesis and don't know much about the Remans
In Nemesis, Shinzon told Picard that only the Reman that would become his Viceroy had cared for him. Vkruk was certainly loyal to Shinzon in the film, but the parental aspect wasn't really explored. I'm simply delving into it in my own way.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Thanks for filling me in.

And Walper, I'll catch up again when I'm no longer buried in homework...which will be quite a while from now, unfortunatly.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote:Thanks for filling me in.

And Walper, I'll catch up again when I'm no longer buried in homework...which will be quite a while from now, unfortunatly.
Of course, who has time? But if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time, mmm?

(I kid, I kid 8) )
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

1. After giving it much consideration, I’m more or less certain at this point in regards to abandoning the 3 Act structure. Previously, it was a matter of there not being enough material to fit into Act 2. Now, it is a matter of too much material to fit into these acts. In my, the story should rather flow naturally rather than be constrained by certain limits, especially with the number of subplots we have going on. I may restore it down the line, but for now, I will go with it as it is.

2. This in turn leads into the second announcement. I’m starting to go back and polish the earlier chapters. The main work will likely be done over the summer and will involve fixing broken grammar, filling in sentences, and tweak certain parts. I mean, if you look at the early chapters and compare them to the current ones, you’ll find that the writing style is much smoother and flows more naturally. In addition, ROTS is likely going to force a minor alteration to certain scenes, especially pertaining to Naboo (we all know my feelings pertaining to in-story/series continuity, after all).

These are just ideas on the drawing board. In the meantime, I’m aiming for a Friday/Saturday update if all goes well. As always, I’d like to thank everyone for their patience and continue support of The Best of Both Worlds.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Okay, serious question, a very serious question that will affect the writing of the story. Let's start off with a pretty picture:

This is essentially what we'd get if I went on the hiatus right now and concentrated on polishing, tweaking, altering, and revamping what is/was Act I.

My question is, would anybody be terribly upset if I begin work on this right now and put upcoming chapters on quasi-hiatus? The basic story will remain the same, it'll just feel and flow different, more along the lines of recent chapters (ie, more equal balance of dialouge and exposition, something lacking in these first chapters). And I would still hope for comments on how people feel the new chapters compare to the old.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

If you feel the need to polish up what you've already created, then feel free. Just so long as you also update Yesterdays and Tomorrows too while you're doing this. 8)

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Its your fic you do what you want. Just don't get caught up in endless tweaking of old stuff as opposed to continuing the story...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I think I speak for everyone when I say, "Don't pull a George Lucas while you're tweaking it." But aside from that, it's your fic, so do what you like.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Mayabird wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say, "Don't pull a George Lucas while you're tweaking it." But aside from that, it's your fic, so do what you like.
I compare it more Tolkien re-writing parts of the Gollum segment of The Hobbit prior to the completion of Fellowship in order to allow the subplot to come to bear. his is especially relevant considering that when I started up again in 2003 (oh, hell, when I began back in 2001) I had no idea where this story was going. It was only during the Winter hiatus that I took the ideas that I and Fanfiction.net's X-Over and outlined the rest of the story and what had to and will happen.

As I've said, the majority of what was Act I is fine. The basic story will remain unchanged; certain scenes will be tweaked, rewritten, and altered in ways both subtle and obvious. So, today, I'll finish tweaking the first chapter, post it in a new thread, and see what people think. Thnaks for your patience and time as always, guys.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And after a long day, I've come to yet another decision.

The Special Edition is being sheleved until the summer or later; I'm too tired and busy to write this, further chapters of TBOBW, and Yesterdays and Tomorrows all at once. Better to complete the fic first and then go back and fuck with it.

I'm sorry about this; you may commence flogging of the author. 8)

In the meantime, as you do so, feel free to help me pick the new signature (I finally found a better quality version of the NJO Luke I've been using...)

Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

JME2 wrote:...

And after a long day, I've come to yet another decision.

The Special Edition is being sheleved until the summer or later; I'm too tired and busy to write this, further chapters of TBOBW, and Yesterdays and Tomorrows all at once. Better to complete the fic first and then go back and fuck with it.
[Mr. Burns]Excellent.[/]
I'm sorry about this; you may commence flogging of the author. 8)
*sticks JME2 into Borg alcove* Er...that's about the worst punishment I would think the Borg would really do...:P
In the meantime, as you do so, feel free to help me pick the new signature (I finally found a better quality version of the NJO Luke I've been using...)

image1

image2
I think image2 is the more crisp(better) one...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Image 2 it will be, then.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Alright, you wanted it? You've got it!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry and owned by Paramount Pictures. Stat Wars created by George Lucas and owned by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm. I own the story and any original characters/species. No copyright infringement is intended.

Star Trek/Star Wars: The Best of Both Worlds

Author’s Warnings: It had to happen; after a break of 1 chapter, we have MAJOR spoilers for not only ROTS, but Scholastics’ Last of the Jedi book-series. Read on at your own risk. I’m also experimenting slightly with the chapter format, something that will become a part of the planned clean-up and polishing I have for the summer. Other than that, as always, enjoy!

Act II, Part VII

"Negotiating in the classic diplomatic sense assumes parties are more anxious to agree than to disagree."
-- Dean Acheson --

That Galaxy Far, Far Away

“…for those just tuning in, last night’s diplomatic function for the United Federation of Planets was thrown into temporary chaos as the Federation team thwarted an attempted Yuuzhan Vong hijacking en route to Reception Hall. Despite the attempt, the negotiations to approve or reject the Republic’s end of the Articles of Alliance are still set to begin today…”

“Looks like we made the evening news,” Quital quipped from the suite’s lounge as she glanced at the HoloNet news feed.

“That’s an understatement,” Liea replied in turn, a smile upon her face and a cup of stimcaff in her hand and feeling rather spirited despite how little sleep either one of them had received. NRI and Security had kept them sequestered after the Reception for their own safety and it hadn’t been until late into the night that they had been returned -- under heavy guard -- to the Imperial Palace.

Leia knew that both organizations were going to be in for rough waters in the immediate future. The fact that Yuuzhan Vong had gotten past the security screenings was bad enough, if somewhat understandable. What was downright appalling was that an entire crew of a hovercar had been replaced by infiltrators. Either way, Leia was certain that somebody in Planet Security and NRI was going to be looking for a new line of work

If we survive that long.

But she had renewed faith in their potential ally, of how the Federation team had fought tooth and nail with the Yuuzhan Vong infiltrators and won against the odds. If the Senate could get over its petty squabbling and bickering, the Federation would prove to be an invaluable ally against the invaders and secure tomorrow for the next generation and the next.

Yet despite the hopes for tomorrow, she couldn’t get the image of Jaina out of her mind, of her daughter’s lightsaber blade pointed right at her throat…

As much as she yearned to contact her family in the Alpha Quadrant, she had to resist, remembering her family’s history with visions. Her brother had prematurely rushed off to confront the vision of her and Han being tortured by their father and it had almost cost him his life. Then at Nirauan sixteen years later, his vision of a dead Mara in a pool of water had proven to be false.

Just because she had seen such a vision didn’t mean that it had come to pass. As soon as the initial proceedings opened between the Federation delegates and the Senate, then she would contact her family. She was needed here and now.

“Ambassador?”

Leia was suddenly aware of Quital starring at her.

“Ambassador, are you alright?”

“I’m sorry, I tuned out. What were you saying?”

“I was completing you on your fighting skills. I haven’t seen a Jedi in action since I was a little girl and had forgotten .”

Leia allowed herself a small smile, even though she considered herself a lesser-trained Jedi then her brother and children.

“Your skills were likewise impressive. I was actually surprised by some of your moves since I was thought that Naboo, like Alderaan, as a world of pacifists.”

Quital shrugged slightly.

“An invasion by the Trade Federation can alter that slightly,” she replied. “Self-defense styles from all across the galaxy were adopted into a training regiment developed by then-Chief of Palace Security Panaka.”

She sipped her tea and then looked straight ahead on at the rising sun reflecting off the glittering cityscape of the space scrapers.

“This actually brings up something I’ve haven’t been able to get out of my mind for the last several weeks,” she said, her smile fading to one of absolute seriousness.

“What is it?”

“How did you know that Padme Amidala was related to you?”

Leia was silent for a long moment before replying.

“I’ve been piecing it together over the years since Endor. A mission to Tatooine right before the Thrawn crisis gave me the first concrete leads. I wish I could reveal more, but the nature of that mission is still classified.”

Leia wasn’t exaggerating. For the first four years after Endor, it had been her father rather than mother that Leia had focused on. She had refused to grant any form of peace and redemption to the man who had stood by and allowed the cruel and cold Grand Moff Tarkin to obliterate her homeworld.

This had all changed during the mission to Tatooine to acquire the painting Killik Twilight, its recovery essential due to the Rebel codes contained within the moss-painting‘s electronics system. There, Leia had learned more about her father’s past prior to his transformation into Darth Vader. Among the most significant finds had been the recovery of the diary of her biological grandmother, Shimi Skywalker. These experiences had helped Leia in overcoming the specter of her past and coming to the decision to have children

But the incident had once again raised the question of who her and Luke’s biological mother was. Had she died in either the Jedi Purge or the Clone Wars or was she still alive? Using the diary as a starting point, Leia had begun piecing the puzzle together on-again and off-again over the last two decades, shortly before the invasion and contact with the Federation.

“I understand,” Quital replied, nodding. “I’m surprised you were able to find what you did since…”

Quital trailed off.

“Since what,” Leia asked, sensing through the Force feelings of regret and sorrow.

“It’s…it’s nothing.”

“Does this have something to do with how you knew that I was Amidala’s daughter?”

Quital went rigid, then sighed as she looked back at Leia.

“I suppose the tale would have come out sooner or later. Might as well tell it now, I suppose.”

She placed her cup of tea down and sat forward, looking off once again into the flurry of craft rushing through the cityscape as she gathered her words and then began her own tale.

“As you may or may not know,” she began, “the official story regarding her death was that the Jedi Order had killed her; another fine example of COMPNOR’s hold on the media during Palpatine‘s regime.”

“Indeed,” replied Leia, memories of her father discounting and throwing aside COMPNOR’s propaganda as part of her training. But I take it that wasn’t the case.

“No, it wasn‘t. Apailana, the Queen at the end Clone Wars, was slightly suspicious of the whole matter. Don’t ask what got into her, but after the public memorial, she had a private autopsy performed to verify her suspicions. She found that your mother’s primary cause of death was childbirth.”

“That still doesn’t answer how you knew we were related.”

“ Well, the whole affair was rather odd because to all physical appearances, Senator Amidala had died pregnant.”

“Bail Organa,” she continued, “ was the one that brought the Senator’s body back to Naboo. Shortly after that, it was learned that his wife -- your stepmother -- had given birth . Since there was a history of unsuccessful birth attempts during her time in he Royal House of Alderaan, it didn’t take Apailana long to put two and two together.”

“Did she ever contact my father,” Leia asked slowly. Quital shook her head.

“Not that I know of. I think she had a basic idea of what was at stake if Palpatine found out the twins were still alive. It didn’t matter because she soon had bigger problems to worry about as Palatine’s ‘peace force’ landed to prevent any protests from his homeworld. I do know, however, that she swore the doctor who had performed the autopsy to absolute secrecy and thus this became perhaps the most closely guarded secret on our planet for fifty years. Only the Queen has known and passed on this information.”

Leia was dead-silent, processing revelations and answers to questions she had had for twenty-three years, answers that she had never thought she would receive. But there was something…off about this information and it took Leia only a moment to identify it.

“But if you knew this, why did you react the way you did when I arrived in Theed?”

Quital sighed, a look of sadness and regret on her face.

“Remember, I was only recently elected to the position of Queen. I didn’t find this out until shortly before the discovery of the wormhole. And as I said, the Naboo spent years believing that the Jedi had killed her. It’s…difficult to fully accept the truth when you’ve been told a lie for so long.”

Lingering echoes of the sense of betrayal she had felt in regards to Bail after Luke had revealed their lineage on Endor flickered through Leia, knowing quite well how Quital felt.

“Still,” Quital continued, “I’ve always wondered…”

“Wondered what?”

She sat up and walked towards the suite windows, looking out for a third time at the city.

“Padme was a force to be reckoned with, there is not doubt whatsoever about that. As the Senator of Palpatine’s homeworld, she would have been a vocal opponent greater than Organa, Mothma, or several others I can name. Had she lived, it’s conceivable that the formation of your Rebel Alliance may have proceeded more quickly.

Leia sat back, considering this. Mon Mothma, her adopted father, Bel Iblis, and others had immediately begun laying the framework for the Alliance after the Clone Wars, but it really hadn’t shifted into full swing until Garm had helped bring all these disaffected groups together under the Corellian Treaty.

“My point is despite one’s attempts, there’s also some element of the past that’s ignored or forgotten. The question what if is one universally asked and the Naboo are no exception. There’ nothing wrong with focusing on the past, but we can never restore it. We can instead only move on towards tomorrow, despite the fact that we may not want to. I couldn’t get over my anger for your family and it cost the lives of four Starfleet cadets; I won‘t allow m fixation on the past to occur again.”

She turned and looked back at Leia

“When this is all over, with the Articles of Alliance have been signed and the galaxy made safe again, I will remind myself of this once again .”

“How?”

“I will return to Naboo and visit her tomb together and in doing so, look to tomorrow. And you are welcome to join me in that act.”

Leia was silent for a long moment.

“I’d like that very much. And my family to join me as well.”

“I thought you might. But we can work out the vacation plans later. The proceedings open in what, two hours?”

“Less than that.”

“Then we’d better get ready,” she said, that twinkle in her eyes returning. “We have a future to save.”

Kamino
, That Galaxy Far, Far Away

“Absolutely not.”

Banu Le leaned back in the elegant, almost organic chair and sighed. While he took pride in serving his homeworld’s administrative duties, he at times hated the closed mindedness and inflexibility of his colleagues in the government. And this latest meeting of the Cloner’s Council was no different as the Minister of Trade once again found himself in debate with the Minister of Defense, Naqhu De.

The Cloner’s Council consisted of twelve members of the Kaminoan government, each dealing in realms related to the cloning process: Defense, trade, education, etc. Though, Imperial sanctions had led to the dismantling of their programs, the Council continued to meet as little more than a formality. And now, for the first time in over four decades, this could finally change and set Kamino back to its once vaunted position -- unless Naqhu wrestled the vote away,.

While Kaminoan culture had always been conservative in many regards, he and Naqhu represented two sides of the same credit chip. Both were conservative officials who wanted the best for their planet, but Banu wished to do it through the cautious restoration of his planet’s famous services. Naqhu, on the other hand, wanted to keep Kamino free of outside influences, fearful of an Imperial strike that would never come.

Unfortunately, it was not easily to let go of such long-held beliefs.

“You have barely heard out this proposal.”

“I have heard out more than I need to,” retorted Naqhu.

“We have an opportunity here -- ”

“To do what? Invite more trouble and destruction to our system because we sold ourselves to an outsider?”

“To acquire new understanding and knowledge that could aid our re-development. We haven’t sold anything or anyone, including ourselves. I told the Praetor that we would consider his request --”

“And what if we refuse. Will he push the issue now that he knows we have cloning technology once again? Will we be attacked on again?!”

The attack Naqhu spoke of was of the Separatist assault on Kamino’s cloning facilities two months into the Clone Wars. Though the Jedi/Clone army had been unable to prevent Count Dooku and the other Separatist leaders from escaping the Battle of Geonosis, significant damage had been inflicted on the foundries and the droid forces. The Confederacy had known it would take time to rebuild their lost forces and that if the Republic army gained an advantage at this stage, they would be dealt an irreversible blow.

Thus, the Confederacy had moved quickly to neutralize the cloning program. A disgruntled Kaminoan saboteur named Ucan Fo attempted to wipe out the majority of the Clone army with a self-engineered nano-virus. When this attempt at subtlety failed, the Confederacy had launched a full assualt under the command of a talented Mon Calamari commander, one Merai. Though overwhelmed, the Kaminoans, Clones, and Jedi had fought back and repelled the attack, allowing the Grand Army to fight another day -- and create the Empire that had repressed their ocean world.

“If the Yuuzhan Vong are as intent on

“That’s pure speculation on the part of a foolish -- ”

“You --”

“Order, gentlemen, order!”

Rophl We, Chairman and Prime Minister of the Kaminoan government brought his ceremonial gavel down upon the table, his voice breaking out over both Naqhu’s voice and the howl of the eternal rainstorms that pounded Kamino. He was known as by subordinates as a combination of both kindly grandfatherly figure someone who you did not want to see in anger. It was this reputation more than anything else quieted the two of them.

“Gentlemen,” he said when all peace had been restored, “both Ministers Le and De have presented their arguments regarding the position of whether or not to grant Praetor Shinzon’s request for our cloning services. As per council guidelines, we shall break for half an hour and then vote on the matter at hand. I remind you that nature of this vote is private and not o be discussed outside of this room.”

Sol System
, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

Even before he had first laid eyes on a crazy old hermit, a wet-behind-the-ears farm boy, and two battered droids a quarter of a century earlier, Han had had a reputation for complaining or moaning when things didn’t go right -- which unfortunately happened to be most of the time. This had subsided over time as the smuggler had gone ‘respectable’. Sitting at the poker table of soon-to-be Captain William T. Riker, he felt the urge to return to that habit.

“I take it this Kyp Durron isn’t someone your fond of?”

Han looked at Riker.

“No, it’s not like that at all. Kyp’s a good person, but… he can be impulsive and brash a times. A lot of the political sentiment against my brother-in-law and the Jedi can be traced to him.”

Riker and laForge exchanged worried looks.

“Is this bad for us?”

“If I can find out what Kyp wants and then get him back on the other side of the wormhole, not really.”

Seemingly satisfied, Riker tapped his combadge again.

“Tell the transport to make a micro-jump and that they have permission to dock either at Earth Station McKinley or with the Enterprise itself.”

“Understood Commander.”

As the channel closed, Riker looked back at Solo.

“Do you want us to come with you?”

“No, I’ll be fine. This’ll be nothing compared to when I faced him down while he was piloting the Sun Crusher.”

“The what?”

“Long story. You just stay out of my winnings pot, you understand?”

“I’ll take it under consideration,” Riker replied dryly, restoring the grin to the Corellian’s face as he removed himself from the table and headed out of the XO’s quarters. Solo was barely out the door when the comm system beeped again.

“Bridge to Commander Riker.”

“You seem to be quite the receiver today,” laForge noted. Riker ignored him and tapped his combadge once again.

"Riker here, what is it now?

“You have another incoming message.”

“Can it wait?”

“I’m afraid not, sir.”

Riker winced. He was getting the sneaking suspicion with each passing second that it was his soon-to-be mother-in-law. It didn’t matter that she was light years away attempting to make contact with the First Federation and bring them into the Yuuzhan Vong War; that woman would bend space and time to keep the wedding going like clockwork.

“Who’s the sender?”

“The communication’s coming from Admirals Uhura and Janeway. They’re requesting you beam down to Starfleet Intelligence ASAP and that it’s urgent.”

“Understood. Commander laForge, will be in command of the Enterprise until I return from the surface,” replied Riker, surging with relief that it wasn’t Laxwanna.

“Aye sir.”

And as the signal terminated and he bid Geordi good-bye, Riker thought back on the conversation he and Solo had had minutes earlier regarding Tsavong Lah, the mystery ship that had saved their collectives asses, and the Admiral’s mysterious absence.

Perhaps now they would finally have some answers…

Unknown Regions, That Galaxy Far, Far Away

Voss Parck was known among the loyal soldiers that manned the Tower as an early-riser, always up before Nirauan’s sun greeted rocky, volcanic surface upon which the Empire of the Hand’s base had been constructed. Every morning, he stood atop the highest battlement and watched said sun rise in the distant sky.

Even for a man of his age, he supposed it was normal, the result of decades of military training. In fact, he had lived with it for so long that it was hard to imagine him not partaking in it every morning. It could also, however, be considered symbolic in that he was looking to tomorrow, of what it would bring and what would need to be done.

This was why he decades earlier had found a kindred spirit and leader in the humanoid known to his people as Mitth'raw'nurodo and to the galaxy at large as Grand Admiral Thrawn. This was why he had given up the luxuries of the Imperial Court and civilization, to be stationed in the final frontier of this galaxy and the threats that awaited it from the Unknown Regions.

On this morning, he had undergone his customary routine before having been called into the Tower’s Command Center on a matter of urgency, to his simple, unadorned office that gazed out over the nerve center of their little operation. The Command Center had changed in ways both subtle and obvious in the years since the Grand Admiral had ordered the Tower’s construction, from upgraded technology to a slight change in décor.

However, the galaxy map that Thrawn had considered a work of art remained in place, though it to was in a constant state of flux due to the geo-political fluctuations that characterized the galaxy. In the last two years, for example, a red swath had been added to mark the route of the invading Yuuzhan Vong. And now, marking the spot where the homeworld of the Emperor himself had once again become a major focus in galactic politics for the first time in decades, was a triangular emblem, the mark of Starfleet.

It was Starfleet that had led to his being here now alongside a one-quarter sized hologram of Soontir Fel. Call it again a habit from the Clone Wars-era military and the early days of the Imperial military, but he preferred this size hologram as opposed to the massive face shots that had characterized Emperor Palpatine’s transmissions. Both men were receiving this same transmission relayed from the long-range transceivers at Esfandia and Generis that the Empire of the Hand covertly used, the newscasts coming in from Coruscant regarding the attempted hijacking of the United Federation of Planets’ diplomatic team while en route to Reception Hall.

“It appears that we’ll be keeping your son in the Alpha Quadrant longer than thought,” Parck said at last. Fel’s hologram grinned.

“Lucky him; he gets a vacation and we have to keep working like nerf herders.”

Fel’s electronic chuckle subsided quickly however as a look of seriousness became visible in his remaining eye. His second eye had been lost years earlier during one of the Empire of the Hand’s missions and due to their limited medical resources, Fel had opted to forgo an implant.

“Any movement in the direction of Nirauan or Csillia from our friends next door?”

“None.”

“Hmm. That doesn’t fit their character profile at all.”

“That was my thought as well. As far as we can tell, the Vong haven’t made any aggressive moves towards any system in almost two weeks.”

“Not since….”

“Exactly.”

Both men were thinking of the same battle logs that they had reviewed a thousand times, of that strange, bird-like ship that had appeared out of nowhere and had single-handedly annihilated the alien armada.

“Speaking of which I spoke with our…associate , who has no idea what became of it,” Fel said, giving voice to his inner thought and being careful while at it; there was no such thing as a secure transmission and both Parck and Fell knew that the Chiss Intelligence operatives assigned to keep an eye of the Empire of the Hand were likely cursing at the coded language in use.

“So it could be on either side of the Anomaly.”

“Yeah.”

“I suspect our neighbors aren’t going to like that.”

Fel’s hologram shrugged in response.

“Unless the Federation or whoever’s piloting that piece of junk attacks them, they’ll continue to sit on their hands as they‘ve always done and refuse to engage in the wonders of preemptive strikes.”

At Fel’s statement, Parck was now tempted to give up his front teeth just to see the looks on the faces of Chiss Intelligence operatives. Or even better, whoever was leading the operation, perhaps General Drask…

But that was a luxury that could wait, as always, for another time.

“Continue monitoring matters on Csillia and your end of the Regions. We’ll keep an eye on the Vong and Coruscant from the Tower.”

“Understood. Fel, out.”

Baron Fel’s hologram winked out, leaving Parck alone in his office to contemplate tomorrow --

-- when his communications console began beeping.

“Captain Parck?”

“Yes, what is it?

“We’re receiving a transmission through the Generis relay addressed to you.’

“To me?“

“Yes, sir.”

“What were the coordinates of origin?”

“Checking…85-21-09, sir.”

Late Old Republic/early Imperial training kicked in as he ran the coordinates through his head across the ones he knew due to their vitality to the Empire of the Hand.

85-21-09, 85-21-09, 81 ---

No, it couldn’t be. There was no reason to receive a communiqué from that location.

Or was there?

Bajor, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

Though considered cliché by some, it was the general belief of many that beauty lay in the eye of the beholder. This was accurate in many regards and like so many things, it all came down to perception. One engineer could look at a ship and see a piece of junk whilst another could see it and claim that even at full rest, it was doing at least warp-five.

Through his travels from end of the galaxy and back, Luke had seen many an object considered to be a work of art to pure beauty, from lightsabers and ships to his wife and son. But, standing in the shielded and secure underground chamber of the Ashalla monastery, the Jedi Master had never truly seen anything as wondrous and awe-inspiring like the Bajoran Orbs.

“The Orb of Prophecy and Change,” Vedek Ebosh said softly, as he stepped back from the open ark, joining the Skywalkers in their glimpse of the spinning hourglass-like object, it’s inner glow radiating off of the ark and the nearby walls.

“So,” Mara said, breaking the silence as she looked at her husband, “Do you want to go first or does it matter?”

“All Children of the Prophets are welcome in any order they seek, my child,” the Vedek replied. Odd that he would call them Children of the Prophets given that they weren’t Bajoran, but Luke let it go. His attention was focused on the wellspring of

“I’ll go first. While we were still on Deep Space Nine, I spoke with the Colonel and she said it’s a simple process. Just walk up and touch it.”

With that in mind, Luke Skywalker boldly strode up to the Ark and placed his hands upon the surface of the orb, finding it to be cool, yet pulsating with energy --

-- and a myriad of images began flashing before his eyes, not unlike a Force Vision. But all similarities ended there. He attempt to struggle with and understand what he was seeing, but the images began resisting his attempts at control, as if they had a mind of their own. He pushed farther, attempting to grab the energies as if both physically and mentally --

-- and suddenly, he was flying through the space of the rocky chamber. The last thing he saw was Mara running towards him, the Orb of Prophecy and Change crackling with energy in the background, and Ebosh looking horrified at what he had just witnessed.

Then he hit the wall and everything went mercifully black.

That Galaxy Far, Far Away

“Bon, très bon.”

“Captain?”

“It’s nothing Mr. Data.”

“Permission to speak freely, sir?”

“By all means, Mr. Data.

“You appear to be in a state of enjoyment since, due to this first formal meeting with the New Galactic Senate, you are no longer required to wear the dress uniform with which you had registered complaints both verbal and written dating back to Stardate 5220 -- “

“Mr. Data?”

“Sir?”

“Shut up.”

“Yes sir.”

Picard grinned as he finished adjusting the color of his Captain’s uniform, knowing that Data was right. Despite the fact that he had spent the previous evening fighting off a hijacking attempt, crashing into Reception Hall, and being detained by Planetary Security late into the night, Captain Jean-Luc Picard was in bright spirits if for no other reason than he finally had ridded himself of the dress uniform and the dammed collar.

“It’s not just that, Data. Look at it.”

He gestured to the wall of their suite‘s lounge. While Vaughn, Munro, and Scotty were still eating, everyone’s attention was focused on the Holo-Net news feeds.

“…polls show that public support for the Republic backing of the Articles of Alliance has risen fifteen percent alone in the last twelve hours. The polls have been growing steadily over the course of the last month since the discovery of the Terran-Nubian wormhole and is expected to continue to rise in anticipation of the first formal proceedings since the Yuzzhan Vong bombing of the Federation Council building…

“Well, Mr. Data?”

“I am looking at what appears to be an electronic projection and screening system responsible for the --”

“Data.”

“Forgive me sir; a little injection of humor into our situation, as the saying goes.”

Even after eight years, there were times when he couldn’t get used to the emotion chip that had been crafted by the deceased Dr. Noonien Soon for Data.

“Our situation is looking better already, Data. We stopped a hijacking attack and the public support for the Republic to enter into the Alliance is growing faster than we could have thought. We’re making the difference,” Picard said, echoes of his conversation with Kirk in the Nexus returning.

“Indeed sir. But to respond in the manner of old phrases, we’re only over the first hill.”

“Data makes a valid point,” Troi noted. “We still need to gather a 2/3 support of the Republic Senate and even with the events of last night, I have no doubt that Senator Shesh will press any and all advantages that present themselves to her. This is her territory, after all.”

“Perhaps,” Picard replied. “But we still have a few advantages of our own. As I said last night, we‘re the best Starfleet has to offer and we will meet this challenge, this strange new world, as we have a thousand times before.”

The words were barely out of his mouth when there came a chirping at the door.

“Come.”

The doors swung open, revealing Leia once again, with a phalanx of Republic and security guards in the hallway.

“Captain Picard, is your team ready?”

“As ready as can be. However,” he said, glancing out at their escort, “I sincerely hope we’re not due to an encore of last night’s performance.

“Don’t worry. NRI and Planet Security aren’t taking any chances this time. All guards have been tested by both security droids and me. They‘re clean.”

“Alright, then. To quote an old Earth saying, ‘let’s get this show on the road.’”

To be Continued…

Author’s Notes
* The name of the Kaminoan saboteur from Star Wars Tales 14: Tides of Terror was never stated; I simply created the name for the purpose of the story.
SpecWar826
Youngling

Post by SpecWar826 »

Bonk First post
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Posted before Walper. :twisted: Now to read.
JME2 wrote:One engineer could look at a ship and see a piece of junk whilst another could see it and claim that even at full rest, it was doing at least warp-five.
Let me guess, the first engineer's Lord Wong. :wink:

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sweet crack.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote:Posted before Walper. :twisted: Now to read.
JME2 wrote:One engineer could look at a ship and see a piece of junk whilst another could see it and claim that even at full rest, it was doing at least warp-five.
Let me guess, the first engineer's Lord Wong. :wink:
Actually, I wasn't thinking of our mighty lord and master when I wrote that, but now that you mention it...I guess it could be seen as Mike, I just won't confirm or deny it... :wink: 8)

Now, back to Yesterdays and Tomorrows
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Why o why, do my Shadowplay chapter always seem to get done the excat time something infintely cooler comes out? This time no osnner do I I post Chap. V than BoBW and Cain and Abel get updated within 12 hours. :(

Oh and nice chapter JME2. Hopeyou don't mind my shameless pluging.
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

JME2 I had one complaint on an otherwise terrific chapter. You said that Amidala did from childbirth, you should have said she did in child birth, since it was not the twins birth that killed her. I read the novelization and she died Spoiler:becase she was heart broken over anakins conversion to Dart Vader and that he would actually attempt to kill her. She was perfectly health in body during and after child birth according to the Med droid that worked on her. Bail infered that she died of a broken heart
That was all, once again a great chapter.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Kartr_Kana wrote:JME2 I had one complaint on an otherwise terrific chapter. You said that Amidala did from childbirth, you should have said she did in child birth, since it was not the twins birth that killed her. I read the novelization and she died Spoiler:becase she was heart broken over anakins conversion to Dart Vader and that he would actually attempt to kill her. She was perfectly health in body during and after child birth according to the Med droid that worked on her. Bail infered that she died of a broken heart
That was all, once again a great chapter.
Technically, however, Quital wouldn’t know this. While Apailana discovered the exact physical cause of Amidala’s death, the exact circumstances remain sketchy. She wouldn have had little to no idea of Padme’s emotional state (a handful of people did and all but two are dead by the time of NJO) and Quital, while some details might now be clearer, wouldn’t know everything either (given Vader's identity, she can infer, but not confirm). That was how I saw it, anyway.

Oh, and Katar? About the whole request about bringing in a certain bounty hunter I have but this to say:

Wait for it; He's coming and soon... :twisted: