The Soundtrack Wars: Which works better?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

The Soundtrack Wars: Which works better?

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Film Scores or Various Artist compilations song?

In regards to Films and setting a mood which do you think works better.

I generally think Scores work better but, there have been occasions when a nice song has worked, But i gotta say that in the past 10 years, song comps have really gotten bad. (maybe it's the music)

Post your opinions and reasons.
Last edited by THEHOOLIGANJEDI on 2005-04-26 07:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I'm usually disappointed by film artist compilation albums, you usually get only one or two songs that are any good and the rest are awful filler songs. One of the few artist compilation soundtracks I truly enjoyed was the original Crow compilation soundtrack. It was fantastic.

I'm a film score guy all the way.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Presuming a competent composer, film scores, uniformly and without exception.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Compilations can work, and have worked, but that was a long time ago. Besides, I love instrumentals so scores all the way.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I'm going with scores, since I'm an instrumental guy myself. But the songs can work too, if done right. Usually in a scene with no dialogue, just visual stuff happening.

As to actually buying the actual CD later on, I'm certainly going for a score over various "albums" out there, especially the "Music from and inspired by" stuff. Why the fuck do I care about the song if it wasn't even in the movie?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

i've pretty much lost faith in the american motion picture industry to put out good soundtracks. every once in a rare while it happens, but more often than not the soundtracks tend to take a second seat to the movie itself, which is a shame since a good soundtrack can really enhance it. the japanese manage to do this pretty good, imo though. *eyes his massive collection of anime soundtracks and image albums*. given that oftentimes a really good soundtrack can help a show from being unwatchable to tolerable, and can make a good show really shine out among the rest.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Generally film scores as well since various soundtracks tend to also have pace/flow issues. However, two recent various artist soundtracks that I really like are Kill Bill Vols 1 and 2. Two allbums that I can listen all of the way through.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Darth_Zod wrote:i've pretty much lost faith in the american motion picture industry to put out good soundtracks.
*Points to Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings.* Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but the few movies I go to see nowadays have had good soundtracks.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Hmm, I don't know; if done right, compilations work quite well. For instance, "The Big Chill," "The Wedding Singer," the fairly recent version of "Great Expectations," and "Forrest Gump" all have great soundtracks. I almost (not quite but almost) have more respect for those soundtracks than the scores because it is so damn hard to put together a bunch of songs that help tell the story while being rockin' songs. I mean, I can throw together some chord progressions and come up with your generic tense-and-scary score music, or your build-up-to-love score music, or the non-stop-action-sequence score music (which would be admittedly a little more difficult but not much), but to do all that well is about as hard as pulling different pieces of music together to make them work as a whole for a soundtrack.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:i've pretty much lost faith in the american motion picture industry to put out good soundtracks.
*Points to Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings.* Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but the few movies I go to see nowadays have had good soundtracks.
see my bit right after where i said "every rare once in awhile they'll put out a good one." :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Whoever mastered the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack needs to be drawn and quartered. It's full of clicks and artifacts.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Batman wrote:Compilations can work, and have worked, but that was a long time ago. Besides, I love instrumentals so scores all the way.
I think the only times they work are when the movie is set back in the times when compilations worked. In other words, if it's an 80s compilation for an 80s movie, it might work. A 50s compilation for a 50s movie works much better.

The one exception that springs to mind right away is Shrek 2.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Original film score, definitely. Sometimes one or two complied artist songs can work if used correctly, (on very rare occasions, a good soundtrack can be made completely from compiled songs, but most attempts at this fail) but I generally prefer original instrumental scores.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Definately a film score.

Hell, the only two compilations I can think of that work are "Old School" (my love of Whitesnake of course drives this :P) and "The Big Lebowski".

But for its era, "Platoon" had a decent compilation