Final Fantasy: Cycle of Wrath

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Final Fantasy: Cycle of Wrath

Post by Darth Raptor »

Okay, I just started this; and it's very much a work in progress. I'm posting it here so I can get advice and criticism as I'm writing it. This is my first attempt at fiction. Ever. So... be gentle? :|

As may or may not be obvious, it's based off of FFI. I'm going to be taking a lot of creative license here, which is almost necessary considering how anemic FFI's story and setting are. I'll be following the entire journey of the Four Warriors of Light, but there will be more than four main characters. I'm going to go for a heavy spread of action and fighting. I might also do a lot of diverging and side plots, so this may end up being kind of long.

Please alert me to any and all flaws, not just in style and execution but in environmental and characterization issues as well. For instance, this opening chapter is a debauchery of naval warfare. I don't know much about cannons or sailing ships, and figured I could get away with some stuff because it's Final Fantasy. Still, if this is FUBAR, please let me know.

Enough rambling, here it is:

A young officer in the traditional red dress uniform and gold helmet appeared and snapped a smart salute. “General Garland, carrier pigeon from Admiral Faust; the second flotilla is in position and the pirate fleet is trapped in the Northern Strait. There’s nowhere for them to go but on land and-“

Siegfried Garland waved his hand and the soldier stopped talking. “Relay to Faust that our forces are also in position, whether he dies at land or sea is irrelevant. Bikke dies today.”

The two officers exchanged a salute and the captain strode away at a brisk pace. Garland walked up to the top of the hillock and drew his spyglass. Two large contingents of Royal Army forces held the port, cannons were in position and ready to fire on the pirates once they were within range.

This strategy was straight from the king himself, but Garland didn’t like it. While the forces holding the port were heavily fortified, they were stationary targets and vulnerable to Bikke’s swift pirate vessels. The logic was to force a surrender by demonstrating that they had nowhere to go, but Captain Black Beard Bikke was not about to surrender; while he was a coward, he would try a desperate escape before he waved the white flag.

Because pirates invariably hang, no one save for the king expected a peaceful resolution. Most of the fleet would go down fighting, as would any pirates that tried to take the port. Bikke himself would most likely try to run the Royal Navy blockade and escape to Provoka. The chances of doing so successfully were slim to none, and Garland’s only regret was that he wouldn’t have the pleasure of killing him personally.

Garland had proposed a better strategy, of course, one that was sure to eliminate the pirates albeit with less flair and more glory going to the Army than the Navy. He had proposed that the Navy pigeon hole Bikke’s fleet in the strait as per the current plan, but have the Army remain out of sight. Once the pirates went aground at the port, the Army would swarm the town in full force.

A few soldiers were sure to be lost, but less than with the king’s starry eyed plan. Although he was a knight through and through, Garland was also a politician and knew a few dead troops would look a lot better than a lot of dead troops and a few sunken ships.

Garland sighed. The king was an idiot for thinking a show of overwhelming force would win the day. This wasn’t the Elven Navy they were fighting, pirates don’t play by any predetermined rules. He knew how this was going to end. Although victory was certain, it wouldn’t be clean. Lives and ships were going to be lost today, and Bikke would be an unconfirmed kill at sea. Also, it would all end up being Garland’s fault somehow.

He made a fist angrily. It must be nice to be king, he thought. Be a sloppy tactician far from the front and blame it all on your generals when things inevitably go wrong. Garland snorted. I’m not a general, he thought, I’m just a puppet; this is the king’s strategy, not mine.

“Yer orders, Cap’n?” One of the less scurvy-ridden buccaneers asked. Bikke just stood there, staring forlornly at the Cornelian Navy ships clogging the strait. His ships were safely out of range at this point, but the margin was steadily shrinking. Also, the knights had taken the port town of Prontera and fortified it with heavy cannons.

Bikke was between a sea snake and a sahagin; but he had been through worse. It wasn’t over yet, not by a long shot. While this wouldn’t be a good day for him or his mates, he was determined to make it a worse day for that idiot Garland and that dried up old Faust.

“Have the Provoka an’ Narciss draw fire from Faust’s dogs.” Bikke growled. “Tell Otis that whatever’e does, don’t lose any more sea to ‘em.” “The rest of us’re gonna lay waste to Prontera. Keep the Nirvana at a safe distance!”

“Aye aye, Cap’n!” The pirate yelled and ran off to relay the orders. Bikke was sending the crew of the Provoka and Narciss to a watery grave; but those were the only ships large enough to make Faust break a sweat. The rest of the fleet was fast and quick, perfect for taking out Garland’s stationary cannonries.

Through his spyglass Garland saw the two frigates break and head for the nearest group of Navy cutters. He’s clearing a path, he thought. He’s not even going to try to run aground. Garland sighed, almost disappointed, and then the main sails on the rest of the fleet opened up. The pirate cutters turned and started heading for shore at a brisk pace. Single file, parallel to the coast.

“Blast it!” Garland exclaimed out loud. Bikke was doing a shore bombardment. He motioned to the nearby lieutenant. “Get down there and tell them to fire at will!”

Bikke grinned. The winds and the current were in his favor. He couldn’t be going faster if he had a hydra pulling his ship. Below decks his crew had the cannons ready to fire. Although they were a lot smaller than the heavy ones protecting Prontera, they were more than enough to waste the town. The knights would be trying to hit fast moving ships with big guns. The pirates just had to nail the big stationary guns.

The Sea Troll’s in range Cap’n!” One of the pirates shouted.

“Tell ‘em to open fire!” Bikke shouted in return.

The first of the three cutters released a volley of cannon fire. Nearby docks erupted into explosions of foam and splinters, and one of the cannonries was destroyed instantly. Return fire from Prontera caused great plumes of water to erupt on all sides of the Sea Troll but no direct hits. Bikke knew this luck wouldn’t hold all day.

Farther east, towards the open sea, things were going a lot worse for the pirates. Faust’s flagship, an enormous ironclad called the Queen Jayne had blasted the Provoka into driftwood with a single volley. The Narciss had been running interference, but was now on a full retreat. She was crewed by pirates, after all. Not zealots.

Garland’s mailed fist slammed the spyglass down, shattering it. The first ship wasn’t even hit, and the port was nearly destroyed in a single pass. Two more ships inbound. He turned to one of his subordinates.

“Where’s the nitro powder!?” Garland roared. The lieutenant looked at him as if he was speaking Lufenian. That magically reactive, crystalline explosive was dwarven in origin and the army had a very finite supply remaining. Of course, Garland saw to it that every cannon brigade kept some in stock, just in case.

“Bring it!” He bellowed. A young soldier in an archer’s uniform ran up to Garland carrying a small gray canister. Garland snatched it and started loping down the hill. “Send a pigeon to Faust; tell him to corner the pirates as close to Prontera as he can!”

Bikke didn’t like doing bombardments from the starboard side. They were fighting the strait’s current and fighting the winds. Half speed at best, quarter speed at worst. The Sea Troll was already going down, despite the fact that only a third of the cannons Prontera originally opened up with were still firing. While the Nirvana had the luxury of staying at a relatively safe distance- she was equipped with navy caliber cannons- a stray cannon ball had bounced up and splintered the auxiliary mast and some poor sap’s right leg.

“Fire!” Bikke roared. The Nirvana’s starboard cannons opened up and more fire and smoke plumed out of what was once the port town of Prontera. A return volley sounded, but not from the port. Geyser plumes of foam erupted all about the ship. Bikke looked to port and almost had a heart attack. The Narciss was in full retreat; followed closely by two Cornelian ships, cannons blazing.

“Break to Port!” Bikke screamed. “Set a course bearin’ right down on the Queen Jayne!”

The massive ironclad was all but invulnerable to conventional weapons. Bikke wasn’t planning on attacking her, but running a now broken blockade consisting of the Queen Jayne would only work if he stayed in her blind spot. There was no way she could hit him if he came dead-on from the front.

Despite his heavy armor, Garland sprinted quickly through the ruined town. Cannon balls impacted the ground on all sides and Cornelian archers were trying to keep the survivors of the Sea Troll’s crew from making it ashore. All Garland had to do was find a working cannon and a single powder ball. The smoke from the rampant fires would make nailing the Nirvana difficult. But if he used enough powder he wouldn’t even need to worry about accuracy.

Out in the bay, the three surviving pirate vessels were clustered together, taking fire from the remnants of Prontera’s garrison and two Cornelian cutters. One of the cutters was ablaze and going down, but her cannons still fired. Abandon ship! Garland thought. They’re just pirates! You aren’t saving the queen by dying in this travesty!

He spotted what looked like an intact cannon. He ran up to it and shoved aside the corpse of its former operator. Looking around Garland grabbed a powder ball and proceeded to empty it. Hunkering down behind an overturned cart he began to fill the empty shell with nitro. It looked like fine diamond dust, and was almost as valuable. Garland packed every spare gram he could into the ball, then applied a fuse.

Sabers clanged and pistols rang out in the distance. The smoke that he had cursed moments before obscured him from the pirates. While all of the cannonries had been destroyed and some of the pirates had made it ashore this stand alone unit had survived while its former operator had been killed by shrapnel. Garland filled the cannon with powder and applied a fuse. He then lit the fuse on the ball and dropped it in the cannon. Here goes everything, he thought and aimed the cannon in the general direction of the three pirate ships.

He jerked the fuse and fire erupted from the cannon, the red hot ball screamed through the air towards the sea. Garland turned and ran for high ground.

Bikke turned abruptly as a deafening explosion sounded behind him. Where one of the Cornelian cutters had been just moments ago was an impossible combination of water and light. The shockwave capsized the other ship and the explosive force tore Bikke’s last remaining ships asunder. What in Pandaemonium was that!? Bikke thought. He grabbed the wheel just as the tidal wave came down on his ship.

The Nirvana swung hard to starboard, but didn’t capsize. The unplanned course adjustment brought her to bear with the Queen Jayne’s cannons, but the ungainly ironclad was busy dealing with unexpected water intake. Bikke spun the wheel hard, and managed to straighten his course. Whatever that blast was, it was his one-way ticket out of this hellish strait.

Bikke reached in his pouch and removed a tiny clear orb of solid crystal. Whatever THIS was, that damned dark elf was going to pay dearly for it. Black Beard had lost all but a single ship and the vast majority of his mates. While Otis wasn’t going to be a problem anymore, Bikke would have a hard time maintaining dominance in the Aldean with a single ship crewed by a dozen buccaneers. Yes indeed, that dark elf would pay.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-06-15 02:52am, edited 4 times in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Not a bad start. I like the idea of kicking things off with a rather positive Garland. But put breaks in between POV changes, I'm speaking from experience. :wink:

Man, you beat me to my FFIV story that I started today. :D
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Kuja wrote:Not a bad start. I like the idea of kicking things off with a rather positive Garland. But put breaks in between POV changes, I'm speaking from experience.
Shit, yeah. I originally wrote this with Word and edited it like a normal short story. I'll write the rest here so I can accomodate for lack of paragraphs. Also re-italicized things that should have been italicized. :x
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Prontera had been a tiny fishing village and port town until this day. The only real mark of civilization in this part of Cornelia. The elves contended that this vast stretch of land wasn't even Cornelian at all. It was largely uninhabited forest where ogres and goblins reigned supreme.

The fires had been all but quenched, but plumes of smoke rose up from the ruined homes and shattered bunkers. The knight she spoke to had said that most of the civilians were forcibly evacuated before the skirmish began, but there were plenty of dead about.

The majority of the corpses belonged to knights; torn asunder by cannon fire and the resulting shrapnel. Wounded lay strewn about in varying degrees of mortality and morbidity. In the now still sea dead pirates bobbed up and down or clutched pieces of debris. Most had arrows protruding from their bodies.

Out in the harbor a Cornelian trawler was trying to recover one of the two ships lost in the skirmish. Wounded had been loaded onto the Queen Jayne and assorted larger frigates. Those who could walk would be marching home via the Lariat Mountains. It was a horrible sight, to think that mere pirates could destroy an entire town. No, it wasn't just the pirates. The officers in charge acted irresponsibly; lives were lost today that didn't need to be and Prontera would never recover. Two hundred people were now without homes with no way to get to mainland Cornelia.

Sarina Alexandra sighed. She had never seen a battlefield before, had never wanted to see one and yet here she was. Preparing to fulfill the duty she had been training for all her life.

"Milady healer! This way please!" It was a soldier, Sarina instantly snapped out of her daze and followed the voice. She chastised herself for losing focus so easily. She had known battle magic would not be pretty, but reading about it in a monastery did little to prepare her for the real thing.

She picked up her robes and carefully negotiated the piles of rubble. She spotted a trio of troopers surrounding a casualty. "Shrapnel wounds." The soldier reported.

Sarina could see that the wounds on his hips were extensive, but they weren't bleeding bad and were not immediately life threatening. The young man was unconscious, but that was more likely due to shock than blood loss. Left untreated, the wounds would surely become infected and an amputation would be necessary- but that was why the Church had sent her here.

She pulled her hood back and closed her eyes. Her long hair and robes started swirling about her as if moved by an invisible wind. She started chanting in an obscure language. While her voice was soothing, melodic even, her tone betrayed a rushed anxiety.

White light shot from her outstretched hand and bathed the fallen knight in an iridescent blue-green aura. Miraculously, fresh flesh emerged and sealed the wounds. The faint cracking of bones setting and mending could then be heard and the man woke gasping, eyes wide open.

"Are there any others?" She asked. One of the archers nodded. "This way."

The next victim was awake and sitting up, At first Sarina didn't know he was wounded until she noticed the soot covered blindfold.

"Powder keg blew in front of him, he's blind." The soldier explained.

"Remove the blindfold." Sarina commanded anxiously, unsure if there would be eyes left to restore.

"Th-the light! It hurts!" The wounded gunner exclaimed.

"Please try to open them." Sarina asked as calmly as she could. The man blinked and she was relieved to find both eyes still there, only badly smoke burned.

"Try to keep them open... This is going to feel a little strange." She started chanting again in the same language as before but the lyrics and pace were very different. She placed her hand on the man's face and wind swirled his soot black hair around. As Sarina removed her hand a thick black cloud coalesced over the wounded soldier's eyes. The cloud gathered there for an instant, and was suddenly banished by a brilliant flash of light.

The man blinked, rubbed his eyes and blinked some more. "I- I can see! I can see!" He jumped up and embraced Sarina warmly. A few of the soldiers chuckled- more at Sarina's shocked indignation than their comrade's elation. Anything to help these men heal... She thought.

As she started off to join the search party moving rubble, she heard a faint groan from beneath an overturned cart. She turned and saw a bloody leg sticking out from under the vehicle. It was a hand cart, not even that heavy. Sarnina gingerly grasped it at the wheel and forced it over on it's side.

She gasped as she saw a very bloody young man under the cart. It hadn't pinned him, he was using it for cover. A large chunk of masonry protruded from his chest. Blood seeped out from around the wound. His breathing was shallow, but dry. A lung was collapsed, but not punctured.

But the most horrifying thing of all were his blood-soaked clothes. They weren't the leather armor of an archer or the chain mail of a knight. They were just ordinary clothes. This boy was a civilian!

Removing the stone would be tricky. Sarina was a white mage, not a surgeon. While a simple Cure spell was all that was needed to seal the wound and repair the damage, there was no spell for physically removing projectiles lodged in someone's torso.

She would have to improvise. Pulling her sleeves back she clutched the corners of the bloody brick and pulled on it. The man groaned softly. It didn't budge; she tugged harder. Still nothing. Sarina said a quick prayer and braced one hand on the boy's abdomen as she jerked the stone out of his chest. Blood erupted all over her face, hands and robe. She wiped the blood out of her face and started casting- quickly, as the wound was now bleeding badly.

A single flash of blue-green light later and only the torn shirt and nearby bloody chunk of brick remained as evidence of the man's grievous wound. Sarina then brushed the powder dry blood off of her hands and robe. The crisis past, she now noticed that he was quite attactive.

The man groaned again, this time more of confusion than of pain. His eyes opened and he looked up at Sarina. "Where- What happened?"

Sarina shook her head. "Don't worry about that now. We need to get you out of here. Can you stand? What's your name?"

"Argus." He replied. "Argus Baron. I live around here..." He looked around. "Or, at least, I used to... The pirates did all this?"

"Mmm." Sarina responded, putting her hood up. "Most of it anyway. The knights did their share of the damage as well though. Why didn't you evacuate with the rest? Did you have family or friends left behind?"

Argus shook his head. "No, I just figured if the pirates were going to be coming ashore, I might as well make myself useful and help out. I always kinda wanted to be a knight, you know?"

Sarina frowned. "Quite courageous of you... And quite stupid. You could have- WOULD have been killed."

Argus made a nervous smirk. Then did his best to change the subject. "Are you with the army?" he asked.

Sarina snorted. "No, of course not. I've been dispatched by the Crescent Lake Temple of Light as a liaison to the Cornelian Royal Army. They tell me where the wounded are, I take care of them. That is all."

"Oh..." Argus responded, trying to make it sound like he understood a little more than he really did. "Oh! I didn't thank you! You're a mage, right? You healed me?"

"I did, but save your thanks. Before this week is over I will be relying on you sir knight. It's a long walk back to Cornelia... unless you have somewhere else to go..."

Argus looked around again. "No, not especially. Won't the Army escort you?"

"The hasty march here was rather... unpleasant. I am under no obligation to accompany them on their return. Unless... You don't think you can protect me, sir knight?" She turned and gave him a sly smile quite unbefitting of a priestess. Argus blushed.

"Ah, no. Not at all! Just let me find a sword. There's sure to be one laying around- hold on!"

Sarina turned and smiled to herself. I found him, I get to keep him.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-04-22 12:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Argus shouldered what little of his belongings he had managed to recover. "Sarina, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what is it?" The healer replied.

"Why don't you want to travel with the Army? Not that I have any problems with escorting you- I owe you that much. It's just that, you'd probably be safer with a few hundred knights than you would with a wannabe."

"I'd rather not talk about it, if you don't mind."

Argus didn't get the hint, or ignored it. "No, I don't mind. I'm not going anywhere. You trust me with your life, why not your complaints?"

"I'm not complaining!" Sarina snapped. "I have legitimate grievances with Royal Army, and the Cornelian military in general."

"Such as?"

"Well, before I found you I had a rather curt discussion with the general in charge of this mess. On behalf of the Church I protested the forced evacuation of Prontera and its conversion into a fort- not to mention its subsequent destruction."

"Good for you." Argus replied. "I'm not too thrilled with the idea of my hometown being used as cannon fodder myself."

"You don't seem too distraught over it though..."

"I didn't have any family there. I don't have any family at all. I didn't get along especially well with anyone there. I had recently lost my job and was planning on moving to Provoka or something."

"Your pirate troubles would have just been beginning."

"Yeah, I probably would have joined up with the Royal Army.

Sarina made a face like she tasted sour milk. "To each his own, I guess. Still, you don't speak too fondly of the town you nearly died trying to defend."

Argus shrugged. "Someone training to become a fighter should become accustomed to actual fighting."

"You've had formal training?"

"... no..."

Argus nudged her gently. "Hey, this was about you, remember? Why don't you like the Army?"

"Well, the supplanting of Prontera's population isn't the half of it."

"Okay, what's the whole of it?"

Sarina stopped. "After it became clear that the township was a smoking shell of its former self, I demanded that Prontera's citizenry be escorted to Cornelia. Since Prontera is officially within Cornelian territory-"

"So is Provoka." Argus interjected.

Sarina gave him a look that could melt ice. "Again, on behalf of the Church I demanded that the Army accommodate the citizens whose lives they had just ruined; presumably to protect them from piracy."

"So..." Argus seemed lost in thought. "What's going to happen to the civilian survivors?"

"I managed to convince the general to take the wounded to Cornelia on one of the hospital ships. As for the walking wounded and the perfectly fine, he told me that the knights were not equipped to escort refugees, and that Cornelia City was not prepared to take them in."

"It's a village of like, two hundred."

"I know!" Sarina barked. "I told him that, but he's got a rather thick skull that one. He also wasn't very chivalrous for a knight, either. Although I can't say I don't understand. He was the theater commander of this little operation, as I understand it. His very career could be on the line."

The two walked in silence for a while, deliberately taking a different route to Lariat than the one the remnants of the knights would be taking. The terrain would be very rough, and would take days to cross. With the drawbridge out though, it was the only real way to get to mainland Cornelia not by boat.

"So they'll just have to rebuild I guess?" Argus asked plaintively.

"I thought you didn't care about your home town."

"You're the priestess of light! I said I didn't like it, not that they could rot."

Sarina sighed. "I can't force the knights to escort them to the mainland. And as much as I like your aggressive attitude, I don't think you've got what it takes to defend two hundred civilians."

"You like my attitude?"

Sarina rolled her eyes. "They're better off staying here. I can lodge a formal complaint at the church in Cornelia when we get there." Cardinal Vias is a white archmage. He has just a little more clout than an acolyte like me."

"So, I guess that's it then?" Argus grinned.

"What's what?"

"You and me. We're partners for the next few days. I'll protect you from gobs and you take care of whatever scratches I get in the process. Deal?" Who knows, we may even get to know each other a bit better, your holiness.

"Sounds good." Sarina replied. He's green and as thick as they come, but I'm really of starting to like him...

The two travelers started on the long road to the southwest.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-04-22 12:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Hey, not bad. The healing magic seemed kind of cliched, but with Final Fantasy that's pretty much unavoidable. The last bit with the conversasion was really impressive. You're doing pretty good with these characters. :D
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Although it suffered from rampant chaos and total anarchy, Provoka was a beautiful city. The third largest on the Aldean, it was right on the ocean. While the port itself saw little to no legitimate traffic these days, the markets district was still rather lively. Although Captain Bikke's crew and their allies raided the shops frequently, the almighty gil remained the true supreme ruler. Local traders and caravanners from the nearby desert managed to eke out an existence in this lawless city.

Because it was not subject to the tariffs and customs restrictions of the other nation-states, Provoka was a wellspring of rare and valuable items- provided you knew where to look. Yes, knowing where to look. That was the key. Unfortunately, Gilles Arkham didn't have a clue where to start.

He hated the briny scent of sea air, and he didn't like this city. This is foolishness! He thought. You came here on a whim spawned of a rumor. You really think you'll find another crystal?

"Watch it!" A young girl barked as she slammed into him from behind. "Out of my way, geezer!"

Insolent cretin! Gilles turned to glower at her, but she was already gone. He quickly checked his robes to make sure his coin purse was still there. It was.

He really stood out from the crowd. Although he wasn't tall at all, the majority of the townsfolk seemed dressed for summer, or seafaring, or thievery. His clothes, his face- or lack thereof, and his hat were a dead giveaway that he was a black mage. Obviously uncommon in these parts, he was a ripe target for pickpockets. Mages where known to carry lots of money, scrolls, spell components and alchemical ingredients on them at all times. Gilles was actually surprised he hadn't been accosted more than he already had. He had thought about casting Shock Spikes on himself, but in such a crowded street there were plenty of people who bumped into him for perfectly innocent reasons, and that would just be irresponsible. Tempting, but irresponsible.

Might as well get a room at an inn... He thought. He walked until he came to the nearest hostel that didn't look like too much of a seedy dive, and went inside.

The front lobby doubled as a pub, which was what he was looking for. Bards played some particularly awful music in the corner and a scantily clad dancing girl did her thing on a tabletop while men gambled and drank all about. Gilles walked up to the bar and sat at a stool, placed two gil on the counter and nudged the barkeep.

"Whatever you recommend, so long as it's not too hard." The barkeep balked at the request but poured the mage a drink.

Gilles looked around the room some more. There was the usual assortment of sailors and off-hours laborers about, but there was one figure in particular that caught his attention. A tall figure in extravagant red cloaks and a plumed hat sat at a far table; nursing a bottle of mulsum.

He picked up his tankard and walked over to where the man sat. The style of his clothes were very much in vogue, especially amongst Cornelian aristocracy, but the color of his garb suggested a particular trade rather than a social rank.

The black mage closed to a polite distance and stood there until the man acknowledged his presence. He didn't.

"Excuse me sir-" The man jerked in a most undignified manner. At first Gilles had thought he was ignoring him, but now it appeared that he had been genuinely unaware of his presence.

"Ahem! Yes! Yes, what is it?" The man asked, acknowledging his existence for the first time. "Can I help you with something?"

"I hope so... May I sit?"

"Of course."

Gilles pulled out a chair and sat down. "I couldn't help but notice your attire, are you a warlock?"

"Indeed I am." The man replied. "I'm assuming you're a black magic specialist." He extended his hand. "My name is Duane Sorel."

"Gilles Arkham." The two mages shook hands.

"So, what brings you to the lovely city of Provoka?" Duane asked.

"I'm looking for something... magical. I heard a rumor that it could be found here, have you heard anything?"

"I hear lots of things." Duane replied. "But I too have a particular interest in magical artifacts- for obvious reasons. What specifically are you looking for?"

"A crystal. A small, palm-sized, nondescript, uncut gemstone. One of only four in the entire world."

Duane frowned. "One of the legendary elemental crystals from Lukhan's Prophecy?"

"I don't put much stock in prophecies."

Duane smiled. "Neither do I, but why are you searching for something so whimsical as a gem that can control the forces of nature?"

"Don't you see the power you could obtain with such an item?"

Duane shrugged. "No, all I see is a lot of wasted time searching for something like that. They're supposed to be defunct anyway, assuming they even exist..."

"Oh, they exist-" Gilles trailed off.

Duane looked at him cockeyed. "What makes you so sure?"

The black mage's blazing yellow eyes narrowed to slits and he glanced about the room anxiously. "I've seen one."

"Crystals are a rather mundane geological phenomenon, if I'm not mistaken."

Gilles sighed, then reached down his collar. He produced a long silver chain with an enormous green crystal. "Okay, I have one."

"By the gods!" Duane exclaimed in a hushed tone.

Gilles continued. "I've heard tell that another of the four is here on this continent, and recently turned up in the possession of a local thief. Knowing thieves, he would have likely recognized the monetary value above the historical significance and pawned it off. You, being a red mage, would likely be able to point me in the direction of Provoka's covert magical items market."

Duane just sat there, not saying anything until Gilles put the crystal back under his cloak. "Where did you get that?" He finally asked.

"It belonged to my late master. He willed it to me before he died, but never told me of its existence."

"Where are you from?" Duane asked.

"Gaia."

"Gaia? my, you do get around, don't you? I suppose that's the Wind Crystal then?"

Gilles nodded. "Will you help me or not?"

"Of course! I'm chasing the same rumor myself!"

Gilles winced in annoyance, but held his tongue by finishing off the last of his drink. "Well then, shall we?"

"Absolutely." Duane stood and put his gloves on. "Let's go shopping."
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-06-15 03:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Woo. Nice depiction of Provoka, and Gilles seems pretty cool. :D
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The two mages had been searching all day, the sun was setting, and they had turned up nothing. It wasn't that Duane didn't know where to look- he did- but apparently all rumors regarding the crystal being in Provoka stopped when you actually reached Provoka.

The duo had been to general stores, armories, pawn shops, pubs, brothels, apothecaries and spell notaries. Not one establishment had produced a single lead. There were plenty of items of interest however, Duane had made it a point to purchase a new sword, several throwing knives, a flask of ether and a scroll of Invis. Gilles hoarded his money. Either Duane was absolutely loaded, or he had plans of obtaining the crystal that did not include legitimate purchase.

As the sky darkened, uniformed men came out and started lighting the street lamps. Gilles was amazed at how the city maintained fairly normal activity without a legitimate government in place. While true law and order were an impossibility- the two had witnessed several violent acts, including one murder- the populace seemed to, for the most part, adapt and survive admirably.

They were now in a lower-class markets district. Most of the shops were temporary structures set up by western caravans. Most hawked useless junk like beads, cloth and food products; and most of the 'magic' shops sold traditional superstitious charms- bereft of any real power at all.

The black mage's sulphur eyes burned in the dark evening. "Do you really think we'll find anything here?" He asked.

Duane didn't answer immediately, he seemed to be counting the cobblestones or something. "...I know a place, it's our last stop before we call it a night."

The pair continued down the street, doing their best to ignore the more aggressive merchants who practically forced their wares into your arms. They came to a small square with a defunct fountain in the center. An elderly woman appeared to be in the process of shepherding some children indoors for the night.

There was a small doorway on the side of a two story building- one of the few permanent structures in this area. Gilles followed the red mage's lead and went inside. It was dark and the stench of burning incense was nauseating. Side-stepping an unconscious drunk on a mat they took an abrupt left through a curtain of beads. Past that barrier there was a rather well-kept apartment closely resembling an alchemist's lab or a scroll shop. Books lined the shelves while pots and bottles lay cluttered about. On one table were what looked like body parts- bones, hide and organs from some unidentified monster. Gilles was beginning to wonder why this was the last place they looked instead of the first.

"Zok!" Duane called. "Zok, are you in?"

A crash could be heard from a far room- mostly metal, but some glass. Strained shuffling then sounded as a figure cast long shadows into the main room. It wasn't a monster, but almost as ugly. A crotchety old man who looked a hundred years old at least appeared. He held a ponderous tome in one hand a vial of something in the other. He squinted for a moment, then sneered. "Sorel! Sorel, you have some nerve showing your ugly face around here! I told you before! You're not welcome here, leave at once!"

Duane held his ground. "Zok, I need a favor-"

"Balderdash!" The man cried. "Your irresponsible haste ruined the experiment! I'm lucky to be alive! And you come in here demanding a favor! Give me one reason why I shouldn't turn you to stone and use you for ballast!"

"Well, I am immune to petrification..."

"Bah! I'll not use a spell! I'll stick you in the ground and do it the old fashioned way! And who's this idiot you've brought in here?"

Watch it, old man. The black mage's eyes narrowed. "My name is Gilles Arkham, sir. I've come seeking information on one of the four elemental crystals."

Zok sneered. "Fairy tales! Stories Cornelian peasants tell their children at night so they won't be afraid of vampires!"

Duane sighed. "Show him."

"Show me what?"

Gilles reached inside his robes and brought out the chain. Although it was faded, the green Wind Crystal was still beautiful in the dim light, which it reflected brightly.

Zok's eyes seemed to get smaller, if that were at all possible. "It can't be!" He waddled right up to Gilles and grabbed it, bringing it as close as he could to his hideous face. "It is! Where did you get this!?"

"I don't know where it comes from originally." He knelt down so the old man could get a better look. "The markings on the chain appear to be in Lufenian, can you read it?"

"No one can read Lufenian, fool! But it is, it is the Wind Crystal! Fascinating!"

Gilles continued. "I have reason to believe that one of the remaining three is here in Pravoka. I've heard that a local pirate by the name of Vasquez or something 'acquired' it. He's probably sold it by now, but I've been unable to trace him or the crystal. We've been searching all day and, well, here we are."

"Yes, here you are." Zok replied. "I know Kelga. He's a good kid, you can trust him." The old man pulled out a crate and sat down. Gilles shot Duane an angry glare, who merely threw his arms up. Zok prattled on. "He's been subverting Black Beard's gang for almost five years now, but to no avail. He brings me all kinds of rare and valuable things. I can't pay him well, but he seems more content in witnessing the science than reaping the rewards. Ah, yes. He reminds me of a young DUANE SOREL before wealth spoiled him and power corrupted him!"

"I don't deserve this!" Duane yelled.

"Yes you do." Zok continued. "Kelga's not a peasant. He's not a noble either, but he comes from a distinguished family, or rather a family that was once distinguished."

"Vasquez..." Duane mused. "As in the shipping consortium?"

The old man nodded. "The very same. Bikke personally ruined his family, framed them, brought the Royal Navy down on them. Hard. He's the only survivor. That was... Ten years ago. Pravoka was a free trade city back then, now it's just a pirates den."

"So he's not a pirate himself?" Gilles asked.

Zok shook his head. "He calls himself a 'survivalist' or 'treasure hunter' among other things, he has a keen interest in some of the more exotic melee arts. He's fascinated with black magic, but the poor boy's too stupid to grasp it."

"So he's a common thief." The wizard grunted.

"He is a thief, it's the gods' truth, but you can trust him. He steals just enough to survive and anything beyond that he liberates from the pirates. He doesn't attack his targets, and only kills in self defense."

Duane cut in. "Was that family not a clan of ninja in ages past?"

Zok glowered. "Don't talk to me."

"So would he have been likely to sell the crystal?" Gilles asked.

Zok shook his head. "No, he's not really money motivated. More revenge motivated than anything. No, he would have been curious about it and brought it here to me. The fact that he hasn't worries me some, it suggests he knows something of it already."

"He has been covering his tracks rather well. Do you know where we can find him?"

Zok snorted. "That boy has no home, whichever alley he falls asleep in is his home. If he hoards his loot in an attic somewhere, I don't know where it is. He comes to me when he's found something he wants me to look at."

Gilles winced. This was just great. Now they had a name and a godamn life story, but no information on where to find the little brat. "Do you think he'll show up soon?" He asked.

"It's hard to say, I haven't seen him in several days."

"Is that unusual?"

"Kind of, yes."

The black mage was at a loss for what to do. The thief was being cautious, he probably knew people were looking for a crystal as well. He wouldn't approach Zok if the strangers were laying in wait. Gilles reached for a piece of paper and a quill pen. He scribbled a name and address on it. "If he shows up, and would like to learn more about his little trinket, he can find us here." He handed the paper to Zok.

"He won't go to you, you know." Zok replied.

"Then how do we find him!?"

Zok's face spawned an evil grin that Gilles found most disconcerting. "Draw him out!"

"And how do you propose we do that?"

"Oh come now, you're a black mage! Bikke's out at sea, as are most of his men. When the cat's away, the mage will play. Blow some stuff up. Hit the pirates in ways the kid's been wanting to for years!"

"You can't be serious!" Duane cried. "Gilles, he can't- Gilles?"

The black mage didn't say anything, his eyes just flared red hot.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Oooohhhhhhh boy..... *gets ready to duck and cover*
JADAFETWA
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HADOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKEN!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Argus clutched the hilt of his blade tightly. Although the evening air was rather brisk, sweat poured down his face and neck. Somehow, the small saber he'd scavenged didn't seem sufficient, nor did the charred leather armor he'd recovered. He stood back to back with Sarina, surrounded by a pack of wolves- four in total. The feral canines turned monsters kept their distance, salivating and growling in low tones. 'Wolf' was actually something of a misnomer when describing these creatures. Although there may have been true wolves in this area as recently as four hundred years ago, they were all but extinct; replaced by canid monsters that lacked the careful sophistication of their natural counterparts. These feral nakk were vicious, bloodthirsty killers and had little or no pack structure beyond who had the strongest jaws and the sharpest teeth. Although domesticated by goblins and ogres the nakk family of monsters were incompatible with humans- who they regarded as prey. This particular pack had found what experience told them was an easy meal, a pair of travelers.

The wolves growled and snarled. An attack was imminent, but they appeared to be gauging the strength of their prey, just as their namesake predecessors must have done ages ago. Argus was actually impressed with how calm Sarina remained in the face of such peril, either she had misplaced confidence in the would-be fighter's abilities, or she was using some meditation technique. Argus hoped it was the latter.

Sarina studied her adversaries with a stoic anxiety. She knew no attack spells that would harm the living, but brandished a large maul that would be more than sufficient for dispatching these beasts. She just hoped her swings would be fast and precise.

Argus took initiative and broke for the nearest pair, yelling and swinging his blade wildly. The pair separated and flanked him, while the second pair did the same to Sarina. Argus immediately about-faced and rushed to guard the healer, who was in the process of bludgeoning one wolf to death. As she brought her hammer down repeatedly on the whimpering canine two came at her from either side. Argus could only be in one place at once. He executed a lunging thrust that pierced one wolf's ribcage. He yelled and roared as loud as he could, causing the second wolf to hesitate just enough to get its head crushed by a deft hammer blow.

Only one wolf remained, but it didn't back down. Sarina began chanting something Argus suspected to be a spell. As if from nowhere golden white light enveloped him and created an ethereal barrier that ran the contours of his body, much like armor but without the encumbrance. The wolf charged and Argus ran forward to meet it, swinging his blade.

He executed one broad, horizontal slash that was a clean miss. The wolf immediately changed direction and lunged for the fighter's leg. Although his boots were hardened leather, Argus had no illusions of them holding up to those long ivory fangs. The wolf's jaws clamped down on his ankle, but the teeth struck something hard. In the exact area of the strike translucent light intercepted the blow. The wolf was caught off guard and Argus was unscathed. He swiftly brought his saber down between the dog's shoulder blades. It convulsed and whimpered briefly, then went limp.

"You're not bad!" Sarina huffed.

Argus drew a cloth and started wiping the blood from his sword. "Thanks, but your magic, whatever that was, saved the day. I'd be lame right now if it weren't for you."

Sarina smiled. "Protect. It's one of the most basic spells in my repertoire. I'd have been able to heal you if your leg was crushed, I just figured I'd spare you the pain."

Argus laughed. "Thanks. You're no slouch with a hammer either!"

"I'd hope not, I've been training since I was eight years old."

The man frowned. "Is melee combat a large part of a cleric's training?"

Sarina fixed her hammer back to her belt, and tucked it beneath her cloak. "It depends on what branch of the priesthood one wishes to enter. Theology and white magic often go hand in hand, but are not one and the same. While I invoke the gods' power in my spells, the extrinsic energies employed can be used by anyone, so white magic is not the exclusive domain of the Church."

Argus got a blank look on his face. "Um..."

"White magic is a large and diverse school of magic, that encompasses far more than mere healing and protection spells. While almost all members of the priesthood are proficient in its use, true white mages- those who venture into the world to make practical use of their knowledge- must be prepared to defend themselves. Caring for the wounded and protecting the threatened from harm often requires the mage to put his own person in considerable danger. While it is primarily sanative in nature, white magic is still very much battle magic and its practitioners must be prepared for battle."

Argus' blank stare gave way to sudden recognition. "So you're like a combat chemist."

"Not quite, we're generally discouraged from fully affiliating ourselves with professional armies, not to mention we're forbidden to use bladed weapons. Also, we use spells instead of potions but I suppose our basic role in combat is very similar. It takes much longer to train a mage than a medic but the benefit is that white magic can accomplish far greater things than modern medicine, at least on the battlefield."

The pair began walking again. Although the sun was beginning to set in the west, the moon was already rising and the sky was clear. It would be a good night for making progress and Argus planned on taking full advantage of the good visibility. "How are you holding up? Are you tired?"

"Not really, why?"

"Looks like we'll have a fairly clear night, and I'm kind of picky about my campsites."

"No complaints here." Sarina replied. "We'll walk until we find a good spot, preferably one with moving water nearby."

Argus nodded. "So, are you from Crescent Lake?"

"Yes and no. I was born there, and my family lives there, I'm officially attached to the church there as well, but I was raised in a convent in Onrac from the age of five."

"Must be rough."

"...Why?"

Argus glanced at the young woman's face, who didn't return the gesture. "I mean, how you were brought up. Your childhood. It wasn't your choice, was it? It was your family's decision and you were the one who had to go through it all."

"You make the convent sound so terrible. It's not. It's a beautiful, quiet and peaceful place. Everyone is so amicable and there is so much to learn and do. I would go back to Onrac before I would return to my 'home' in Crescent Lake, if given a choice."

"But it still wasn't your decision, was it? To become a priestess?"

"My family is very closely affiliated with the Church. While not all of us are members of the clergy, all have been devout believers and earnest philanthropists in the service of communities everywhere. It's not any different from sending your child to be a smith's apprentice or military school. It's an education. I've learned a valuable trade- one that's in high demand. Upon my graduation, it was my own choice to remain with the Church, but I am my own person."

"Oh, well I guess that's okay."

Sarina turned to her companion. "Have you lived around here your whole life?"

Argus shook his head. "I'm actually from Duergar. I'm human, mind you, but I was born in Melmond. My mother died when I was very young. I never knew her, and my father fell to sickness when I was three years old. He was a farmer."

"What happened to you then?"

"I was shuffled around between orphanages until a dwarf named Liam took me in. Taught me a thing or two about metalworking. He was the closest thing I had to a real father. He died four years ago. Natural causes. I moved to Prontera the following year when the earth rot hit Melmond. A lot of the farm hands were out of work at that time and I couldn't compete with the dwarven blacksmiths so I headed east, and here I am.

"Sounds like you're the one who had it rough." Sarina murmured.

"Well then, this will just be a new beginning for me. My hometown's gone, I've nothing to hold me down- I was getting bored of menial labor. I guess I was fated to become a fighter. Maybe you and I can travel the world and slay monsters and save people."

"Tempting, but I go where the Church dispatches me." She smiled.

"Oh, right. You don't seem like freelance mercenary material."

"I thought you wanted to become a knight?"

Argus smiled. "I'm kind of liking this adventuring business!"

"Hah!" Sarina scoffed. "This is day one. Let's see if that enthusiasm holds when I practically have to carry your broken shell into Cornelia City on a levitation spell."

The two walked in silence for another hour or so until they came to a small freshwater brook on the border of a sparse timber. It was already nightfall and both were beginning to feel the fatigue as the excitement over their previous encounter subsided- although neither would admit to it.

"This looks like as good a place as any." Argus sighed.

The white mage nodded. "Yes, this will do nicely. I'll set up my tent, you'll have first watch."

"YOUR tent!? It's a four-person tent!"

"Yes, but you have a cozy one-person sleeping bag, and you're my first line of defense against monsters. You're sleeping outside sir knight."

"I'll go gather firewood." Argus murmured and shuffled off.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-04-24 09:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Hahaha...I know exactly how that poor guy feels. :lol:
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The beast had returned. Gilles was frozen in stone-cold terror, he knew from experience what would happen today. After all, this wouldn't be the first time he would witness his master's demise, and it wouldn't be the last. He held his hat down low over his face to shield himself from the blasting sandstorm, he was a mere few strides behind his master. The black wizard marched through the desert towards an enormous silhouette, oblivious to his inevitable and gruesome death. Gilles tried to warn him, but as usual, he couldn't speak.

Suddenly the wind stopped, and the swirling clouds of sand dropped from the sky without warning. The massive shadow that had looked like a statue or castle was revealed. It was the dreaded beast that had plagued his nightmares for months, a huge five-headed dragon; tan with blue tiger stripes and eyes that blazed with malevolent power. Gilles tried to scream, but he couldn't even open his mouth.

His master raised his arms to the sky and started chanting the most powerful spell he knew- Blizzaga. The wind returned, but it was now frigid and laden with snow. The snowstorm coalesced into a raging cyclone, which then focused into a beam of light that blasted the beast with the full power of ice. Although it was foolish, Gilles allowed himself to indulge in hope as the blast exploded into gigantic shards of zero-energy water that would have torn any other living thing asunder.

When the storm cleared, all five heads began their wicked chorus; screaming, roaring, growling and hissing. Together, they sounded like a laughter so hideous it threatened to stop Gilles' heart. His master was resigned to his fate, and merely nodded and lowered his staff while the dragon's heads descended upon him. The central head snapped down on the old wizard, and two attacked from the side. Together, they ripped the archmage to bloody shreds and devoured them.

He couldn't move, he couldn't speak, he couldn't cast spells. Gilles was petrified in place, hoping the beast wouldn't see him. Much to his despair, all five heads focused directly on him. The central head roared, while the smaller four shrieked; despite its size the beast swooped down on the mage with surprising speed. The breath was hot and reeked with venom.

Gilles gasped and sat up straight, cold sweat pouring down his face. Across the room, Duane spun around and stared at his roommate quizzically. Gilles straightened his hat and gazed around, bewildered and disoriented. Duane was sitting in front of the mirror, apparently in the midst of shaving. Gilles didn't recognize him at first, but his short-term memory came flooding back and he recognized both the red mage and the inn room they had rented in Pravoka.

Duane slowly turned around and resumed shaving. "...Are you all right?"

Gilles mopped some of the sweat from his face with his sleeve. "Yes, I... It was just a dream, that's all."

"What about?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

The warlock didn't press the issue, much to Gilles' relief. The black mage sat up and began to gather his belongings. "Are you almost finished? We need to scope out our targets today."

The red mage set the blade down and wiped his face. "This is a very bad idea, you know."

Not again. Gilles sighed. "Look, they're pirates. We're not going to be doing anything a chivalrous troop of knights wouldn't do-"

"I don't have any moral objections to this endeavor, I'm merely speaking out of... enlightened self interest."

"I have no intention of confronting the pirates directly. We're merely going to destroy enough of their assets and disrupt their operations enough to make young Mr. Vasquez take notice." Gilles sat down and started putting his boots on. "Besides, it will be fun. Where's your sense of adventure?"

Duane sighed. "I just think there's a better way..."

The black mage rolled his amber eyes. "I'm listening."

"..."

"Exactly. We're both fresh out of leads, and although I don't trust that old man any more than you do, he's right. This is the only reliable way to find the thief."

"And when we find him?" Duane asked. "Do you expect him to relinquish the crystal in exchange for our deeds?"

"I haven't really planned that far." Gilles admitted. "We don't know much about this Kelga, other then he's fallen from grace, is on the wrong side of the law, hates Bikke and loves science." The wizard stroked his chin. "Perhaps our strike on the pirates will earn his trust, and his curiosity will drive him to learn more about the crystal in his possession."

"He's certainly no common thief." Duane mused.

Gilles snorted. "That much is clear. The little bastard is giving us quite the runaround, and doing so deliberately. He'll probably be difficult to persuade, but let's concentrate on the mission at hand, okay?"

Duane nodded and put his hat on. "Black Beard Bikke has a sizable pirate fleet consisting of several ships of varying classes. His flagship, the Nirvana, is a stolen Cornelian runabout. The fastest conventional ship in existence. Most of his fleet is currently at sea, with only two ships remaining in port. Basic black magic should be sufficient to sink these, provided I can sneak aboard and 'arrange' the gunpowder stores appropriately beforehand."

Gilles nodded. "I'm liking the sound of this."

Duane continued. "Bikke's gang holds several warehouses in the southern port district, where a vast majority of his hoarded loot is held. Because of the nature of this city, such assets must be heavily guarded. You should be equipped with enough magic to destroy these, but getting to them will be a problem. I have a plan, but I'll need to see the compound myself beforehand. The third and final target of opportunity is Bikke's chateau in northeastern Pravoka. It used to belong to the Vasquez Consortium and was both their home and company headquarters. This will be the most heavily guarded of the three areas, and the most difficult to destroy- because if memory serves, it's a stone keep."

Gilles scoffed. "I can demolish a castle."

Duane nodded. "Of that I have no doubt, but the main problem will again be getting close enough. In fact, stealth will be our most serious concern tonight. I know several spells that would render us invisible to an elf, let alone a human. The problem with this approach is, of course-"

"We want to be detected."

"Exactly. Vasquez will take notice of the destruction, no doubts there; but will he lay low and let us finish the job, or come out to take advantage of the chaos?"

Gilles stood. "We can discuss this later, we have all day to survey the scene. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

Duane frowned. "Yes, I'm wondering if there are also some detailed maps we could purchase. What do you suggest we do first?"

"Eat." The black mage grunted. "I'm starving."

Argus awoke to singing. His eyes snapped open as the morning sun burned into them from the east. He groaned and rolled over, facing the small river to the west. He saw two things: The source of the singing- Sarina, and something he probably should not have seen- Sarina bathing in the river. Argus quietly rolled back over, careful to conceal the fact that he'd caught a glimpse of the healer's glorious backside. Not a bad way to start the day. He opened his eyes and looked out over the countryside. It was a beautiful day, but rain clouds were gathering on the horizon. They were still a hard day's march from the foothills of Mt. Lariat. They needed to get a move on.

Sarina's singing was unlike any he'd heard before. The melody was slow and soothing, but uplifting at the same time. He'd never heard the song before, and the lyrics were in a language he didn't understand. Just as the song was about to lull him back to sleep, a malodorous stench wafted into his nose. His eyes immediately snapped open and he scanned the immediate area. We're not alone here after all.

Waddling noiselessly among the trees was a single ogre. It was full-grown, but smallish for its age. It was still more than large enough to be a significant threat- the giant humanoid stared towards the river where Sarina was bathing. Argus rolled back over as quick as he could. He called to his companion in a hushed tone. "Sarina? Sarina!"

She gasped and spun around, sinking into the water up to her waist and covering her chest at the same time. "Argus Baron!" She fumed. "I knew you were uncouth, but this-"

"Shh!!!" The fighter gave her a stern glare.

She saw the seriousness in his face and immediately went silent. "What is it?" She whispered.

"Ogre!" Argus whispered back. He quietly reached for his saber and unfastened the straps of his sleeping bag. He didn't know what to do, but he didn't care. He would feel better just having a blade in hand. That cold determination was shattered when the ground began to shake and Sarina began to scream.

The ogre had begun bounding headlong towards the stream, where the unarmed and completely unarmored woman stood in hip-deep water and shrieked. Argus lunged for his sword and rolled out of the bag, partially undressed and bereft of any armor whatsoever- not that leather armor would protect him from the log-sized club the beast was carrying. He rolled to his feet and ran to intercept the fiend, swinging his sword and yelling as loud as he could.

The male human's impotent threat display distracted the ogre just long enough for Sarina to break for shore. The giant glowered and bellowed at Argus, swinging its club in wide arcs, a single blow from the massive object would be lethal. Argus kept his distance. Now that Sarina was out of immediate danger he began worrying about himself. Although humans were better built for running than giants, at this close range an escape wouldn't be possible. An attack was almost as futile, lunging for the abdomen or chest would be preferable, but these areas were out of reach. Argus doubted he could get in close enough to execute such an attack without getting crushed. I'm in trouble!

Suddenly a familiar white light enveloped him, it was Sarina's spell, Protect. The same one she had used on him yesterday when they fought the wolves. Argus was glad to finally have some support, but he wondered if it would really offer much defense against such a massive weapon. The giant spun around to see the source of the spell, a naked and drenched Sarina came sprinting out of the timber swinging her hammer like an amazon and shrieking like a banshee. You have GOT to be kidding! Argus couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Before Argus could take advantage of the diversion the giant swiftly raised its club and brought it down in a heavy, vertical swing. It came down with a loud impact, and rended the ground where Sarina had been just seconds before. "NO! Sarina!!!" Argus yelled.

The giant raised its club to examine the corpse, but there was none. Bewildered, it spun around in all directions- only to see another woman come running out of the trees, followed by another, and another. All of them yelling. What in the depths of Pandaemonium!? Argus stared dumbfounded. Each image was a perfect copy of Sarina, only translucent and flickering. The giant swung and bellowed, but every time it struck a shadow it merely flickered out of existence. Argus wasted no more time. This diversion, however impressive, wouldn't last forever. One of those was the real Sarina. He had to end this quick.

The last four copies flashed together into one and started chanting, the ogre bellowed and brought up its club; but just as it did a blinding white flash erupted in front of its face. It howled and dropped its weapon, covering its eyes; and turned to face in the opposite direction. Argus charged for its legs, he spun and slashed at the left leg as hard as he could. The ogre howled in pain as its leg muscles were lacerated. It went down on one knee and swung its arm backhanded at the human. White light flashed and the Protect spell absorbed the blow, but Argus still flew back quite a ways. Unharmed, he quickly rolled to his feet and charged back at the giant- although it appeared to be able to see again, its lower stature made it a much more vulnerable target.

The ogre roared and pounded the ground, but Argus quickly rolled out of the way and resumed running. He lunged as hard as he could, thrusting his sword into the giant's belly all the way up to the hilt. It howled again but rather than counter-attacking, it pitched convulsively. Argus yanked the sword out at a rough angle which was followed by a crimson spray of blood and bluish-pink entrails.

The ogre grasped at its gushing mortal wound but still pitched backward into the dirt. Argus wasted no time; he leapt up onto the chest and stabbed down exactly where the heart would be on a human. The ogre thrashed once more but lay still after that. The human dismounted and sat down in the moist grass, gasping for breath.

The threat neutralized, Sarina dove into the tent to dry off and get dressed. "Good job!" She called before she sealed the flap shut.

Argus lay down on his back and stared up at the clouds. "Thanks! Likewise!" What a way to start the day indeed.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-06-15 03:46am, edited 2 times in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Gilles survived a meeting with the Chromatic? *raises estimate of him considerably*

And nice scene with the ogre. :D
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Kuja wrote:Gilles survived a meeting with the Chromatic?
No, the events depicted in the dream never actually happened. I should probably clarify that in the recurring nightmare Gilles himself invariably dies at the end. My bad.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The rain fell in heavy sheets. Argus and Sarina had made impeccable time, and were already upon the northeastern most foothills of Mt. Lariat. The duo made plenty of small talk the first half of the day, but now exhausted of inconsequential topics they marched in silence for what seemed like hours. Argus was reluctant to bring up the morning's ordeal. Although she hardly acted like the stereotypical prudish priestess, Sarina had not said anything about her nude battle with the ogre. The fighter suspected she was incredibly embarrassed, and did his best to act like it was no big deal. Those noble tendencies were beginning to erode as boredom set in. This was only day two of their journey and already the duo knew each other like siblings. A genuine friendship had blossomed and both suspected that their friendship could easily evolve into something more. His mind furiously searched for something to talk about. He found a topic, but before he could decide on whether or not it was appropriate, his stimuli-starved mind blurted it out:

"So... Where did you get that chain?"

Sarina didn't answer immediately. "...What chain?"

"Oh, come on. Don't play dumb. It was the only thing you were wearing! How could I not notice?"

The white mage giggled quietly. "I knew you didn't forget so easily!"

"How could I? You're incredibly beautiful."

She looked at him for the first time in hours and smiled. "Aw, that's sweet. You're nice looking too!"

Argus felt his cheeks get hot despite the heavy rain. "Um, about that chain?"

"Ah, of course." The healer pulled her right sleeve back and reached down her collar. She fumbled momentarily and then brought up a silver chain. It was long- it seemed several sizes too large for her. The chain itself had exotic markings all along its length. The glyphs appeared to be writing of some kind, but Argus couldn't make it out. The most prominent feature of the jewelry, however, was the pendant: A large, faded, uncut blue crystal was set in the mount. It glistened faintly as the rain spattered off of its facets.

Argus' eyes got wide and his jaw dropped. "What IS that?"

Sarina looked puzzled. "This is the Light of the Sea. It's the secret treasure of Onrac, passed down to the convent's ranking wizard. In ages past, before the Shrine sank, it was reputed to be able to control the ocean waves. In those days, Onrac was a thriving port city like many on the Aldean, and the ocean's bounty made her extremely prosperous. That was some two hundred years ago. The crystal has since lost its power."

"So how did you get it?"

Sarina glared at him. "I'll pretend you didn't ask that or assume you were merely ignorant of the fact I graduated at the top of my class."

Argus wanted to slap himself in the face. "Oh, right, sorry. What I mean is, why would they let you travel the world with it? Why not keep it there where it's safe?"

"Simple." The healer replied. "The Light has lost its power, it no longer has any dominion over the sea and as such it is not only of no benefit to Onrac, it is a detriment. The Light is cursed."

"Cursed?"

Sarina nodded gravely. The infliction is said to coincide with the Shrine's destruction and the sea's decline two hundred years ago. I have taken it upon myself not only to find a way to remove the curse, but to spare the city the burden."

"So, what? Does it bring you misfortune or something?"

Sarina shook her head. "No. It's strange, but I actually feel somehow... safer when I have it in my possession. Not only is it a great honor, but it makes me fell at peace; like I'm somehow closer to the ancient gods of the sea. Although-"

"Although what?"

"It's nothing."

"No. What?"

The healer sighed. "Since I inherited the Light I've been having... horrible nightmares."

"Nightmares!?"

Sarina nodded. "They're unspeakable. They don't occur every night, but a few times every week. I always wake up in terror, but the malaise wears off quickly, and I am otherwise unaffected."

Argus didn't say anything for a while. "What are the dreams about?"

Sarina exhaled sharply. "I'm drowning, and there's a monster in the water. I can't make it out because the water is so dark, but it has numerous tentacles. It's devouring people. My friends, my family, everyone I hold dear and there's nothing I can do. I can't even move."

Now Argus was completely silent.

"And when they're all dead..." She continued. "It comes after me."

Argus suppressed a shudder. "Sounds... Sounds horrible."

Sarina nodded. "It is, but like I said, it doesn't happen every night. I'm fine the following day too, so I suspect it's just a benign side-effect of the Light's greater curse."

The two walked in silence for a few more minutes until Sarina spoke up again. "You seem unreasonably disturbed by this. Do you mind if I ask why?"

"Because." The fighter responded. "I had one just like it."

Sarina stopped dead in her tracks. "You what? That's not possible, there's only one in existence."

Argus stopped along side her. "Well, not exactly like it. The gemstone was amber colored."

The white mage didn't say anything immediately. She looked down at the crystal in her hands. "You don't have it anymore? Where did you get it? What happened to it?"

"Remember Liam? The dwarf I told you about- the one who raised me? It had been in his family since his great grandfather excavated it near Melmond. It used to shine, glow really. I remember how brightly it used to glow. Liam always said it was magic, but because dwarves aren't the best with magic he could never get it to do anything. Liam never had any children of his own, so he gave it to me. When he died... it stopped glowing. I kept it for a while, but it gave me nightmares- dreams almost exactly like the ones you described. So I got rid of it."

"You didn't sell it, did you?"

"Oh no, of course not. I just couldn't wear it anymore. Liam didn't have any next-of-kin, so I had it added to his tomb. It's in a mausoleum in the catacombs beneath Mt. Duergar right now."

Sarina looked up into the fighter's eyes. "We have to go get it."

"What!?"

She shook her head stubbornly. "No, I'm serious. It's no mere trinket, if it's almost exactly like the Light it must be incredibly important. It's afflicted with a curse almost exactly like that which plagues the Light only- When did you say it lost its glow?"

"Four years ago."

She stroked her chin and looked down into the mud. "What could- The earth rot! That's when the first reports of earth rot came out of Duergar! It has to be connected!"

Argus frowned. "So you're saying the land near Melmond is decaying because that crystal doesn't shine anymore? That's ridiculous. Duergar's top scientists don't know what's causing the earth rot."

"That's because it's supernatural."

"An entire continent? Cursed?"

"It stands to reason. The sea's become more and more turbulent around Onrac, and every year the fishing ships have to go further out to find anything. The sea is suffering in the same way the land is suffering, and that death is spreading."

"So what do we do with the crystals? How do we get the curse removed?"

The white mage looked up at him with grim determination. "I don't know, but let's worry about one thing at a time, okay? Let's get your crystal back!"

"What about Cornelia? What about your job? We'll be halfway to Cornelia City when we cross this mountain!"

"This is more important!" The mage fumed. "We can come back to Cornelia after we grab your crystal. This is only a... quick detour."

Argus laughed. "Yeah right. Mt. Duergar is in the middle of... Duergar. That's quite a vast stretch of land for a 'little detour'."

"Maybe we can get a boat back from Duergar City."

The fighter rolled his eyes. "Or we could get a boat TO Duergar City from Cornelia!"

Sarina sighed. "If I report to Cardinal Vias he may send me somewhere; somewhere far away. We can't risk that, we have to bring the crystal back to him!"

Argus grinned mischievously. "And he won't mind you showing up almost a month after the knights return?"

"He'll be forgiving when he sees what we've brought. Come on, let's go."

Argus shrugged. "I don't have anything better to do."

The two resumed slogging through the muddy foothills in the pouring rain. Argus spoke up again. "So you're not- uncomfortable talking about that ogre interrupting your bath?"

Sarina smiled. "No, not in the least."

"Good 'cause-"

Her eyes narrowed. "Because what?"

Argus smiled. "I wouldn't mind seeing an encore presentation! Sans the ogre, of course."

She punched him in the shoulder, hard, and then walked off without him.

"So, is that a 'no'?" He started after her. "What if I get naked too?"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Darth Raptor wrote:No, the events depicted in the dream never actually happened. I should probably clarify that in the recurring nightmare Gilles himself invariably dies at the end. My bad.
D'oh. I was afraid of that. But the next chapter cleared it up considerably; well done.

And I still like the byplay between Argus and Sarina. :)
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Good stuff, I like the depictions of the characters and the look of the four crystals. I will like to see how it ends up with the big winged guy at the end.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Keep them coming... I really like how this is building.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Insects and seabirds dipped and soared in the evening air. The sea breeze was cool at this time of day, although it still smelled briny. Along the docks of Pravoka's southern port district workers hauled boxes to and from several moored ships; once again, Gilles was impressed by the resilience of normal activity in the face of rampant anarchy. More impressive however, were the assets at Bikke's disposal. The wizard adjusted his broad-brimmed hat. This isn't a pirate fleet, it's a small outlaw navy! The black mage stood among several large crates and barrels on an abandoned pier overlooking the two ships of Bikke's that remained in port. Both were on par with a naval armada, sporting iron plating and heavy cannonries on the side. The fact that these ships were crewed by violent brigands sent chills down Gilles' spine. A black flag flew from the ships' main mast, sporting the unmistakable insignia of Bikke's fleet: an unconventional Jolly Roger with a sahagin's skull instead of a human's and sabers instead of crossbones.

Seeing the massive warships in the harbor made Gilles feel a bit more inadequate than he had felt during the planning phase. He had no doubts that his master would have been able to sink the ships with ease- the late Homac Topapa was a true black wizard; able to use third-tier elemental spells and 7th level black magic. He was sure that a single Firaga would be more than sufficient to destroy each ship, but such advanced spells were as yet out of his league. They would be relying on the ships' onboard stores of gunpowder and nitro to do the job; the black magic would merely be a catalyst. On the nearest vessel, Gilles could make out the pirate crew moving about at a lackluster pace. Enjoy what's left of your lives, scum.

Focus! Focus! The wizard cleared his mind and began tapping into his intrinsic reserves of mana, in this meditative state he could practically feel the elemental forces swirling about him: The four prime elements of fire, earth, wind and especially here at the seashore, water. There were the secondary elements as well: lightning and ice. The transcendental elements, light and darkness, governed the other six in eternal opposition. Fire, heat, combustion; these would be the order of the day- an incantation as old as time itself that would excite matter at a molecular level and conjure up enough fuel for ignition. Fire was one of Gilles' favorite spells, although Blizzard was more powerful the former was much more appropriate for destroying a wooden ship.

Suddenly, he felt a presence behind him and heard the click of a flint lock pistol. "Hands in the air, spell slinger!" A gruff, female voice commanded. Gilles calmly did as instructed. "Now, turn around, mage! Slowly!" Again, Gilles complied. Doing a 180 in place he came face to face with a pirate, who held a slug thrower right at his face.

"Can I help you?" The wizard asked coldly, doing his best to keep his voice clean of fear. Sometimes, not having a face had its advantages.

The woman sneered. "I'm askin' the questions, hear? Just what're ye doing on our turf!? If yer lookin' to make trouble, you'll be findin' more than ye bargained for! Now, drop yer weapons. All of 'em, and when you tell me what ye're doin' here, it'd best be in a language I can understand. None of that hocus-pocus, hear?"

Gilles nodded and slowly reached into his robes, pulling out the wicked, serrated ceremonial dagger he carried on him at all times. I'm being robbed and interrogated, keep your cool. He slowly knelt down and set the knife on the dock.

"Now! Just what ye be doin' here!?"

The black mage cleared his throat. "Im... Looking for someone, I'm not here to make trouble I assure you."

"I'll be the judge of that! Just who're ye lookin' for?"

Curses, you fool! Gilles had forgotten that Kelga Vasquez was the mortal enemy of Bikke's gang. Oh well, maybe it will buy me some time and provide some info. "Kelga Vasquez." The wizard muttered plaintively.

The pirate's eyes went wide. "Ye're in league with that li'l pouf!? Ye're just asking to be shot in the face, aren't ye?"

Gilles decided to play dumb. "So, you know him?"

The pirate snorted. "Of course! That li'l fairy boy is such a nuisance! Always stealin' and sabotagin'... The Cap'n has put a fifty thousand gil price on his head. Only problem is, he's something of a local hero around these parts. She'it! For fifty k I'd throw my own mama to the sharks!"

I don't doubt that, cur. "He's no friend of mine, he's taken something extremely valuable that belonged to my former master. An item of incredible power."

"I don't care about any o' that!" She shook the pistol at him. "This here's private property! Ye're gonna leave, but first, I'm gonna liberate whatever ye got on ye. Cough it up!"

Gilles was NOT about to relinquish the Wind Crystal to this brigand, although he couldn't see any clear alternatives at the moment. Where was that damned red mage? He tried stalling:

"Do you know where I can find Kelga?"

The pirate winced, a clear signal that he had asked the wrong thing. "Look, ya wonky bastard, I told ya; if I knew where he was, I'd be cashin' in on the Cap'n's reward an' gettin' promoted. No more jib-jab, what've you got on ye?"

"Well, there's my knife." Gilles slowly reached into his robes, careful to conceal the chain that held the crystal. "I have about six thousand gil on me at the moment."

"Now we're talkin'! What else've ye got on ye?"

Gilles shrugged. "Spell scrolls, spell components, alchemical ingredients. I doubt any of that would be of much use to you."

"No, but I can hawk 'em off!" The pirate cocked her head. "What in blazes is THAT!?"

Oh gods, no. She saw it. "This, is a useless piece of costume jewelry my master gave to me before he died. It's relatively worthless, aside from the sentimental value, but it's all I have of him."

"She'it! The chain's solid silver! I don't care if the jewel's fake, that's worth about ten k at least! Fork it over."

Great job, Arkham. Appeal to a pirate's sense of sympathy. Any more brilliant plans? "No." The black mage said in a very disconcerting tone.

Black mages typically had strange voices, the same effect that shrouded their faces made their voices echo like talking through a jar or something. While there was little Gilles could do to dispel the effect, he could easily exploit it to make him sound threatening. Unfortunately, the pirate merely laughed.

"Okay, mage. We can do this the easy way, or the VERY easy way! Ye live or ye die, it's that simple. Either way, I'm walkin' away with that trinket tonight."

"It's mine." Gilles responded coldly.

The pirate smiled and shrugged. "Have it your way." She straightened her arm and held the gun level to his face. "See you in Pandaemonium, spell slinger!"

Suddenly, Gilles felt a stiff wind and heard the heavy clank of metal on metal. Sparks and blood flew as the pirate's gun went careening into the water, complete with a few fingers. "WHAT THE HELL!?" She screamed and spun around. Her outraged shriek terminated in a wet gasp as something ran her through. Gilles couldn't make it out, but whatever it was stabbed her from the front. Only a blood-soaked silhouette suggested that she had even been penetrated. She gurgled some more and went limp, the invisible blade retracted and she slumped to the dock with a heavy thud.

One multi-hued flash of light later and the pirate slayer was revealed. Duane produced a cloth and wiped the blood off of his rapier. "Couldn't stay out of sight, could you?"

Gilles sighed. "What in blazes took you so long!?"

The red mage smiled wickedly. "I had an idea!"

The black mage raised an eyebrow, but it only served to change the shape of his eyes. "Care to share this idea?"

"Oh..." The warlock's smile disappeared. "I abandoned it. It was good in theory, but ultimately untenable."

Gilles sighed again. "Are the ships ready?"

Duane nodded. "Yes, of course. I tried to set something up with cannon balls. You know, so the explosion would send them to blast the opposite ships and the warehouses over in the port, but that wouldn't work- for several reasons."

"The gunpowder is concentrated in the bow?"

"Of the nearest ship, yes. The explosives are in the stern of the far ship."

The black mage nodded and retrieved his dagger. "Okay, let's do this." He turned around and to face the ships and began to focus the power of his spells. "Give me a doublecast, Duane."

The red mage said a quick incantation and clapped his hands. Gilles was enveloped in crimson lightning that complimented the flames he was summoning nicely. The dark wizard began to chant.

"FIRE!" He wailed, and unleashed a twofold volley of flames. One fireball shrieked towards the bow of the nearest ship while the second spun towards the stern of the far ship. They flew like guided missiles, penetrating the warships just below the iron plating. The spells incinerated the hull easily, upon impact they burst into a towering wall of flames that started ravaging the ships- inside and out.

"Impressive!" Duane cried. "I've never been able to get Fire that hot or volatile!"

Gilles indulged in an invisible smile. "Likewise. I've never done a doublecast before. You'll have to teach me that spell sometime."

Duane smiled and shook his head. "Sorry, but no. I can't. Mostly because it's not a spell so much as a technique. Secrets of the trade, you understand?"

Gilles nodded. Despite almost getting a bullet in the face, seeing two mighty warships burn brightly while their doomed crew scrambled to put out the blaze put him in an exceptional humor. He suppressed a chuckle. "Now what?"

"We run like mad. To the warehouses!" The two mages took off sprinting towards the greater port district. A deafening concussion sounded as the first ship practically split in two. Her crew jumped ship, many of whom were themselves on fire. Just as she began to go down, a foamy white explosion blew the rear and of the far ship apart. The stern almost instantly disappeared while the rest of the flooded hull began to sink. Fast. Secondary explosions further splintered the wreckage and many of the waterlogged survivors. Black Beard Bikke was officially down to a single ship.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Duane and Gilles dashed along the waterfront towards a series of large warehouses. Out in the harbor, the two ships continued to explode.

"How much damned gunpowder was on those things?" Gilles asked exhaustedly, noticeably out of breath.

"Lots." Duane simply answered. The two men kept running, they had already started hearing shouts from pirates- survivors of the two ships as well as additional guards for the warehouse area. Fortunately, everyone was running towards the ocean, while the two mages were doing their level best to get away from it. They reached the nearest pair of warehouses and dashed down the narrow alley between them. They ran for a few more strides before they skidded to a halt, face to face with two pirates.

The two buccaneers didn't say anything, they simply brandished their scimitars and charged. Gilles didn't waste any time. He muttered something in an archaic language and blue streaks of lightning shot from his outstretched hands. The bolts struck the nearest pirate and sent him careening back. He had stopped yelling in mid-flight, his smoking corpse smashing a wooden box as it hit the ground. The second pirate came straight for Duane, who had his rapier out and was swinging it in broad arcs; the pirate hesitated for an instant, and Duane charged. The two men engaged, their swords throwing sparks as they crashed together. Gilles couldn't risk casting Thunder again, not with Duane so close to his enemy. He shifted his focus and began chanting again, this called for a Blizzard.

Duane took a swift step back and executed a blindingly fast flourish. The pirate had somehow managed to parry every blow, but it sent him tumbling off balance. The red mage dashed around the man and ran him clear through from the side. The pirate dropped his blade and went down, Duane then wasted no time in finishing him off. Gilles stopped focusing the Blizzard's power, but maintained the spell's burgeoning effect in case more targets appeared. They did; responding to the screams of their two dead comrades more guards ran around the corner. Gilles simply turned to face them and unleashed the Blizzard. Streams and beams of white wind filled the alleyway and blasted the pirates- there were four in total. The black mage had aimed for the ground directly in front of them, attempting to cause on area-of-effect that would take advantage of the alley's cramped quarters. The pirates yelled momentarily, but their screams were interrupted by cracking and shattering noises as their frozen corpses keeled over. When the absolute zero dust cleared, all that remained was what looked like the pieces of broken statues.

"Most of his men are out at sea!?" Gilles scoffed.

"Hmph. Now you know why I don't like him- well, one of the many reasons. Zok is an incurable optimist."

Gilles had begun to cast a brief spell that summoned up a wall of flames that obstructed the warehouses-lighting them ablaze at the same time. "Okay, don't need to worry about any more from that direction. Let's get a move on."

The pair continued running down the alley, the firewall had served the unintentional dual purpose of destroying the buildings along with heading off any reinforcements. A deafening explosion sounded in the distance. "How much bloody gunpowder does one need!?" Gilles wheezed.

Duane stopped and knelt down with his hands on his knees. He was in better shape than Gilles, but not by much. After briefly catching his breath he stood and readjusted his hat. "We need to find a decent vantage point from which to plain our next attack."

Gilles nodded. "The little cretin had better be grateful. Speaking of which- how are we supposed to find him in this mess?" Smoke had begun clouding the night sky, despite the illumination from the all the flames.

Duane swung his rapier side to side, testing its balance. "I wish I knew, he's supposed to find us, remember?"

"Forget this!" Gilles growled. He cupped his hands over his dark void of a face and started shouting. "KELGA! KELGA VASQUEZ!!!"

Duane's eyes got wide- they almost glowed in the dark. "That's probably not the best plan!"

"I'm open to alternatives." The wizard continued shouting. Duane kept his sword drawn and took a defensive posture at Gilles' rear. The red mage started casting a spell that sent blue bolts of lightning traveling down the blade of his weapon. "Can you teach me that spell?" Gilles asked.

"White magic." Duane simply answered and strained to look into the darkness. Shadows had begun to move and head slowly in their direction. Gilles continued shouting.

"Shut up!" Duane cried. "We have company."

Three pirates dashed toward Duane from one alley, while another four came at Gilles from the other side. Both mages started chanting the same spell, Fire, but Duane finished the incantation first. A red-hot fireball went screaming towards one of his three, it struck him in the torso and he burst into flames. The pirate dropped his weapon and went down screaming, rolling around on the ground. The other two didn't even slow down, and Duane broke off to meet them.

Gilles took longer casting his spell, but for good reason. The fireball he produced was much larger and hotter. Once again, he went for an area-of-effect that turned the narrow alley into a sea of flames. The first pirate to be hit was incinerated almost instantly, exploding into a cloud of embers. Two more pirates were burned to death in the maelstrom while the last two broke off to flank the blazing obstruction.

Duane swung his crackling, enchanted blade side to side. Enthunder was a secret white magic spell that could enchant weapons with the power of lightning. While Duane himself was safe from the effect, chances were the hilts of his enemies' scimitars were not similarly insulated. They risked electrocution by merely parrying his strikes. Duane grinned and charged. The two buccaneers, bereft of shields, instinctively brought up their blades to defend. Duane blithely struck each blade, bluish-purple tendrils of lighting exploded from the impact and both pirates yelled in pain as they were thrown off balance. The red mage spun around and executed a broad horizontal slash. A bright blue streak of lightning rended the two combatants in half. Duane dispelled the effect and dashed back to meet Gilles.

Purple lightning crackled between Gilles' fingers as he prepared to unleash a spell the second he glimpsed a target. The only problem was, the two surviving pirates had apparently disappeared. The black mage strained to see anything amidst the smoke and flames. Duane came up alongside him. "Is that everyone?"

"No." The wizard grunted. Suddenly, a flurry of projectiles splintered the woodwork uncomfortably close to the two mages' heads. Gilles dropped to his knees while Duane rolled out of the way. "Auto crossbow!" The red mage shouted and rolled back to his feet, he then started casting Protect as fast as he could. Gilles crawled within range of the magical barrier just in time; another flurry of bolts impacted the shield and bounced off amidst a sea of sparks. A third volley crashed into the spell from behind, the mages were apparently flanked by the two gunmen.

"This is bad!" Duane grunted, visibly drained. Gilles knew he wouldn't be able to maintain the barrier indefinitely. One of the pirates dropped into sight and unleashed yet another rapid-fire volley of armor-piercing bolts. Gilles rolled outside the shield just long enough to unleash the Thunder he had been saving. He didn't so much as finish casting when he rolled back inside. While one bowman was down, the cobblestones were perforated where Gilles had been standing just a moment before. The two mages turned to get a glimpse of the second attacker, but to no avail; he was still out of sight.

"Stop breaking.. the barrier!" Duane wheezed. "You can cast from inside! It only stops... physical attacks!"

One more volley crashed into the shield. Gilles didn't believe it, but the white light began to splinter and crack like crystal. The shield was going down. Almost as suddenly as it appeared, the white light vanished, leaving the two casters completely exposed. Duane went to his knees, gasping for breath. Red mages were not known for having much stamina in long-term mana manipulation. The pirate now leapt down from the rooftops and pointed his weapon straight at Gilles.

"That'll do, spell slingers!" The pirate grinned as he thumbed a switch on his weapon. Auto crossbows were incredibly rare. Gilles had only seen one once before at a museum in Gaia. They were Lufenian in origin, but were rarely recovered in working condition. Dwarven machinists were the only ones known to be able to rework the weapons, and an operational auto crossbow fetched a hefty price on the black market. "Hands in the air!"

Gilles did as he was told, while Duane rose to his feet and did the same. "I'm spent!" The red mage whispered.

"I noticed." Gilles replied. "What now?"

"SHUT UP!" The pirate roared. "You two've been having a merry run of the place, ain't ye? Blowin' things up and killin' me mates; well, it ends here!"

"It sure does!" Someone yelled from the shadows.

"Who's there!?" The pirate yelled. "Show yerself!"

Wood and metal clanked somewhere down the alley and the pirate turned to face the noise. Just as he did, two large knives sank into his back with a heavy 'thunk' sound. The raider screamed and discharged his weapon, but did so in a harmless direction. He pitched forward and went to his knees, a third knife swooped in from the darkness and administered the coup de grace.

Gilles and Duane said nothing, they merely waited for their savior to appear. While they didn't know for sure who it was, they both had the same suspicion. A young man in leather armor and a green bandana dropped down from the rooftops. He nodded at the mages and began to remove the throwing knives from the corpse on the ground.

Gilles sighed. "Kelga Vasquez, I presume?"

The rogue flashed an unexpectedly white smile. "In the flesh!" He looked around briefly, seemingly uncomfortable on the ground. "So... you called?"

Finally! Gilles felt relief wash over him. "Yes, I did, but perhaps we should find someplace a bit more secure to talk?"

"Sure! You boys have done more tonight than I've been able to do since Bikke took over! Let me buy you a drink or something!" The thief turned and started jogging down the only alley that wasn't on fire. The two mages started after him.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-06-15 04:17am, edited 3 times in total.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Great news! I've managed to talk my brother into doing illustrations for CoW (oh god, it spells "cow" I SWEAR that was unintentional)! He's a magnificent artist, and has promised detailed character sketches along with scene illustrations. Expect a few in the next couple of weeks. He's already done some concept drawings of Argus and Garland, and I'm VERY impressed. Here's to hoping he doesn't reneg!

The three had walked for what seemed like hours towards the eastern most part of the city. It was a ramshackle ghetto of violence and death, but it was farthest away from Captain Bikke's sphere of influence. Kelga led the two mages towards the only building on the block that was well lit: a small tavern.

When they entered Gilles was nearly choked by smoke and burning incense. Rough-looking characters of all races, professions and genders drank and gambled. No one looked too friendly, but the two wizards didn't stand out here nearly as bad as they did in the other pub.

A pair of female elves stood and raised their glasses as Kelga entered the bar. One of them smiled and spoke up. "So, is it true that the Royal Navy hit the port?" The banter died down as everyone listened for Kelga's response. Gilles didn't necessarily like the unexpected fame this was promising.

"Yeah, the port was hit!" Kelga shouted, nimbly jumping on top of a table as if he was about to deliver a speech. "It wasn't the Navy, though! It was these two mages!"

All eyes in the room turned to Gilles and Duane. Gilles cringed in annoyance while Duane merely shrugged and removed his hat, bowing gracefully.

One by one every man, woman, elf and dwarf in the tavern stood and started applauding the spellcasters. Their cheers were incredibly loud, and some had even started banging weapons, tools and dinnerware together. Gilles felt like his head would explode, but Duane seemed to bathe in it.

"What are the heroes' names?" The other elven girl asked.

Kelga spun and gestured to the two strangers. "The black mage goes by the name of Gilles Arkham. He's a fully trained wizard from Hawkeye, far to the north. He trained under the legendary black wizard Homac Topapa, who is well known for his research into ancient Lufenian civilization and his unfortunately fruitless efforts to transcribe Meteor."

The crowd cheered again. While Gilles appreciated the adulation, it made him intensely uncomfortable. He had never studied magic to become a celebrity, or even a hero. Knowledge, power, and maybe a little wealth were what drove him. Kelga motioned for the crowd to quiet down again. They complied, but not very quickly.

"The red mage is a man of whom I've heard much, but have only had the pleasure to meet today. He is none other than Duane Sorel, the renegade noble who has attained a remarkable proficiency in both black and white magic. He is also an accomplished fencer and a seasoned adventurer."

Duane removed his hat again, smiled, and bowed gracefully- once again. Gilles wanted to kick him, but settled for merely rolling his eyes. Kelga let the crowd cheer Duane for a few more moments, and then hushed them again.

"Together these two mages, a wizard and a warlock, single-handedly destroyed Black Beard's frigates, the Sahagin Queen and the Scimitar. If the rumors of Bikke's blood-soaked skirmish with the Navy are to be believed, that puts him down to only the Nirvana herself!"

The crowd cheered once again, this time louder than ever, but once again Kelga hushed them. "What's more, two armories were destroyed and numerous pirates were slain. Again, assuming the rumors are true, Black Beard's gang is now in the double digits!"

Kelga jumped off the table and stood between the two mages, raising their arms in the air. "Gods willing, with their help, we will be rid of those raping, pillaging, marauding butchers once and for all!"

OH GODS NO! Gilles wanted to throttle the little bastard, but instead exchanged a wide-eyed gaze with Duane, who for the first time since they arrived, did not appear to be enjoying himself.

The crowd became absolutely unglued. Bards began drumming, fluting and luting, but it could barely be heard over the uproarious applause. Kelga turned toward the two, and Gilles leaned toward him and whispered harshly. "We need to talk!"

"Sure!" Kelga replied. "Let's get us some drinks and leave the noise behind!"

Kelga motioned toward the dwarven barkeep, who nodded and produced a bottle of hard mulsum and three glasses. Kelga picked up the items and motioned for his companions to follow, they then proceeded upstairs to his private quarters.

Despite the tavern's seedy exterior, Kelga's apartment was quite well kept and opulent. The boy obviously lived in greater luxury than the old man let on. Gilles closed the door behind them, but Duane was the first to speak up. "What was that!?"

"Yeah, just what the hell do you think you're doing!?" Gilles seethed.

Kelga turned and gave the two a wide-eyed, innocent look. "What? You're after Bikke too, right? The fight is almost over, he's weaker now than he's ever been!"

"We're not interested in pirates, fool. We couldn't care less about that gang or this city! We needed to find you, and your contact Zok informed us that this was the only reliable way to do so!" Gilles' yellow eyes appeared brighter than ever, almost flaming.

"You sure went to a lot of trouble just to find me, what gives?"

Duane had seemed to regain his composure somewhat, and cleared his throat anxiously. "What my esteemed colleague is trying to say is that we don't work for free. This isn't some kind of charity. There's a certain this for that involved, you understand?"

The rogue grinned. "Ah, now you're speaking my language. I've amassed quite a stash since my war with Black Beard began. Name your price."

Gilles snorted. "The crystal. Hand it over."

All of the color seemed to drain out of Kelga's sunburned face. "I don't know of any crystals."

The black mage's finite patience was becoming exhausted. "You know, for a thief, you don't lie well. We know you have one of the four legendary elemental crystals. You know, the ones from Lukhan's Prophecy? The ones that are supposed to be able to manipulate the forces of nature and bring the world to either salvation or destruction?"

The thief merely swallowed. "It's mine."

"I understand that, but I've come a very long way looking for it, and Mr. Sorel has been assisting me tirelessly in my search since my arrival. We've gone through hell to find you, and that stone. We're not leaving Pravoka without it."

Kelga shook his head. "I'm afraid that's not possible. It's an extremely important artifact."

Duane coughed. "Oh, I assure you, we understand that. If the Prophecy is to be believed, it is the only means to save our dying world- and rid ourselves of the monsters which plague it."

"That's why I can't give it up! Look, I didn't steal it or buy it or even find it; it's MINE. It belonged to my father and his father before him, it was the sacred jewel of our clan for hundreds of years. Given to us by the king of Elfheim for our assassination of the dark elf king in those days. Do you know what that means?"

"So you are descended from ninja..." Duane mused. "If you're familiar with the Prophecy, I assume you mean that makes you one of the four Warriors of Light."

Kelga nodded. "I can't part with this crystal. The fate of the world may be at stake."

"Then come with us!" Gilles barked. "Zok said you were interested in knowledge. Well, I'll have you know that the only way you're going to learn about that stone is by coming with us. If you really believe that nonsense, at least have some respect for a fellow Light Warrior!"

"What?" The thief asked, confused, but his eyes went wide as Gilles produced the Wind Crystal.

"I have one too." The wizard explained. "Although as a heretic, I'm naturally somewhat skeptical of the Church's prophecies, this is perhaps the most important archeological discovery of our time; even if it isn't the key to saving the world."

Kelga didn't say anything for a long time, but he eventually cleared his throat. "Yours is faded."

"What? Of course. They're not supposed to be functional at this time."

Kelga shook his head. "Not mine, mine's active." He reached down his collar and pulled out a long, silver chain identical to Gilles' except for the stone set in the pendant. This crystal was red instead of green, but also unlike the Wind Crystal, it shimmered with brilliant crimson light.

"It's the Fire Crystal!" Duane whispered. "And he's right, it is lit."

"Curious." Gilles was genuinely puzzled, why did the Fire Crystal retain its brilliance while the Wind Crystal had apparently lost all power? "Are you able to do anything with it?"

Kelga frowned. "I'm no magician, and the crystals are supposed to be pure elemental magic in a solid, condensed state- or at least that's what Zok's books said. So no, I haven't been able to do anything with it."

He is too stupid to grasp magic, fool. "Look." Gilles explained. "It's not a spell, and it's not intrinsic. It's an enchanted item, like a spell scroll in its pristine state- it's supposed to be able to be used by anyone, even without the proper training."

"You can't be certain that the crystals operate on the same principles as conventional magic." Duane reminded him.

Gilles sighed. "Here, can I at least see the thing?"

Kelga reluctantly removed the chain and handed it to the black mage.

The wizard grasped the crystal in his hand tightly, red light streamed through the fingers of his gloves. Gilles closed his eyes and appeared to lose consciousness while standing. "It's practically seething with the power of fire! How can you not feel it!?"

"Maybe because, I'm not a mage?"

"Nonsense. A mindless worm could perform impressive pyromancy with this treasure. You need to get a better feel for the universe around you, boy." Gilles handed the crystal back to Kelga.

"Maybe you could show me." The thief muttered plaintively.

"Come with us!" Duane pleaded. "If you're unwilling to part with the Fire Crystal, my hopes of becoming a Light Warrior are for naught. At least accompany us on our journey to understand the power you two possess!"

Kelga stared at the shimmering jewel in his hand. "Come with you? Where?"

Gilles shrugged. "Cornelia, I guess. There's obviously something to the Prophecy, and if that's the case we might as well go to the prophet himself."

"Sage Lukhan resides at the Cornelia City Temple of Light." Duane explained.

Kelga looked into the black mage's burning amber eyes. "...Okay, I'll come with you. This is important, and fascinating I might add. But I have a favor to ask."

"You're in our debt brigand, remember?" Gilles growled.

Kelga nodded. "I know, but it's important. I must avenge my family's honor, and I must restore peace and order to Pravoka. Bikke must die."

The black mage sighed. "Now? Not now..."

The thief did his best to look reassuring. "Oh no, of course not. You're right, this business with the Prophecy is far more important, I'm just asking..."

"Asking what?"

"If we become Light Warriors, and are ever near here again, can we finish the job? Can we free Pravoka?"

"We'll see." The wizard answered curtly. "So, are you coming with us?"

"Yes." The thief resumed staring at the glowing Fire Crystal. "Yes I am."
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-06-15 04:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

*nods* Well done with the magic.
JADAFETWA
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

A tall, slender figure in a flowing robe and cowl approached the main gate of Captain Bikke's home, formally the Vasquez family's mansion. Although it walked briskly, almost marched, its footfalls didn't make a sound. The pirate guarding the gate was nodding off, and almost didn't notice the stranger approaching. He jerked as the hooded man cleared his throat. The pirate stood up straight and put his hand on the hilt of his blade.

"Who're you? What ye be doin' here?"

The tall man didn't answer immediately. After an awkward silence an unsettling voice responded. "I am a business associate, I have previously hired the captain's services and have come to collect what I've paid for. Is the captain in?"

"I hear he's a wee bit 'indisposed' right now, you might try commin' back tomorrow."

The stranger crossed his arms and shook his head. "No. I will claim my prize tonight."

"Hold here." The pirate grunted and opened the gate. Even with his face-obscuring hood, the stranger was visibly annoyed. The outlaw trudged up to the mansion's front door and spoke with another guard. After what seemed like forever, the second pirate went inside while the first returned to the main gate. "We'll see if the cap'n's admitting callers."

"It is very uncouth for a lowly pirate to make royalty wait outside."

The pirate gave the figure a cockeyed glare. "Huh. Ye're royalty?"

The cloaked man didn't answer. When the second pirate finally returned the gatehouse guard turned to exchange a hushed whisper with him. The first pirate turned back around and cleared his throat.

"Ah, I'm terribly sorry 'Yer Highness' but the cap'n's not takin' callers right now. Come back tomorrow."

"Unacceptable." The figure hissed and raised both arms. Whispers issued from the hood unlike any the pirates had heard. Before they could draw their weapons the air around them distorted and billowed with a translucent gas. The two marauders collapsed to the ground like rag dolls, the figure merely side-stepped them and proceeded towards the front door.

Inside, Bikke lay face down at a table; a half-emptied bottle of hard liquor sat next to him. The tall man entered the room and removed his hood, revealing the long ears and sharp features of an elf- the dark blue skin and exotic tattoos suggested a particular ethnicity of elf.

"Captain? Captain!"

Bikke jerked awake and sat up, rubbing his eyes. "What the? YOU! Heh, just who I wanted to see. I want to renegotiate our price!"

Without invitation, the dark elf pulled up a chair and sat across from the old pirate. "And why, pray tell, should I be penalized for your ineptitude? Did you even recover the Eye?"

"Yeah I got it, but it wasn't easy! That witch's hole was booby trapped, and SOMEONE tipped off the Royal Navy that I would be in the area. I lost my entire godsdamned fleet Astos!"

The dark elf waved his hand dismissively. "I warned you of the dangers of attempting to ambush one who can see the future. Overwhelming force was the only way you would be able to retrieve it. I can't be held responsible if you ignore my advice, captain. Likewise, you're a pirate. The navies of all three nations are a constant threat to your operations. Again, I ask why any of this is my fault."

Bikke jerked to his feet and grabbed the bottle off the table. With one swift swing he shattered it and held the broken end right up to the elf's face. Astos didn't so much as flinch.

"I'm ruined, Astos! Ruined! I only have the Nirvana left, an' some of the locals hit my portside assets while I was gone! I can't even make a good guess as to how many o' my mates I lost, nor can I guess how much it'll cost to replace everything. And not everything can be replaced! It's ALL yer fault you lichen-licking, bigeyes barnacle!"

Astos sighed. "You're inebriated, captain. I suggest you sit down so we can discuss this like adults. I can kill you with but a thought, remember?"

Bikke tossed the broken bottle in the fireplace and sat down again. "I want twice the arranged price!"

The dark elf flashed a serrated smile. "Fifty million? I could hire a band of mercenaries to sack this chateau and take it from you for a tenth of that. And again, what's stopping me from killing you and taking it myself?"

"You must really take me for a fool. It's not on me, an' only I know where it is! You can't read the future yet! You kill me, an' you kill yer chances of ever seein' outta that Eye!" The pirate returned a very plaque-tarnished grin of his own.

Astos sighed. "Thirty million."

"Forty."

"Thirty-five."

"Forty!"

"Thirty-five." Astos' tone indicated that his patience for haggling was exhausted. Even in his drunken stupor, Bikke took the hint. He fished in his pocket briefly, and tossed out a tiny clear orb. Astos hissed, but said nothing. Bikke figured he above all people would appreciate such a bluff.

The dark elf's clawed hands quickly grasped the orb. Like a greedy little child he turned away from the pirate and held the sphere up to his face, gazing at it lustfully. "It's beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous!"

"I'm glad someone's happy!" Bikke snorted. "I have just enough to rebuild. Ye've set me operations back by a decade, I never should have accepted yer offer. I rue the day I met you, 'Highness'."

"So who attacked you? And who notified the Navy of your whereabouts?"

Bikke shrugged. "Yer the one who can see the future now, you tell me."

Astos gasped and smiled. He had almost forgot. Without hesitation he quickly jabbed into his face and plucked his right eye out. The optic nerve was still attached, he jerked it and snapped it off. It was all Bikke could do to keep from retching while the dark elf popped his still twitching eyeball into his mouth and chewed. He looked at the the crystal with his one remaining eye while blood ran down his face; as if he was unsure which end was which. He shrugged and inserted it into his empty eye socket.

He blinked and rubbed his new fake eye. He gazed around the room briefly and smiled. "Incredible! Absolutely amazing!"

"What?" Bikke demanded.

"I can see everything! Everything at once! It functions much like a normal eye, but I can examine things in greater detail should I so wish. It isn't difficult to control, it's subconscious even. What's more, I can see the future, the past. Everything. I can see everything!" He cackled with glee.

"So who tipped off the king!? Who hit the port while I was gone!?"

"Yes, of course." Astos murmured and stared off into the distance. "A human. One Otis Bartz."

Bikke produced a long knife and stabbed it into the table. "That slimy bastard! Rot in hell you halfwit! He died in the ambush he let happen!"

Astos shook his head. "No, he's alive. Living in Cornelia right now, in rather opulent luxury I might add."

Bikke stood and grabbed his chair, he roared in rage and broke it against the wall. "DAMN YOU! I'LL KILL YOU OTIS! I SWEAR I'LL KILL YOU!" His white-hot rage subsided and he turned back to the seer. "Who hit Pravoka? Word on the street is Vasquez hired a couple o' mages."

"The rumors are correct. He who is descended from the slayers of my ancestors is responsible for the destruction of your landlocked assets. Kelga Vasquez, you're familiar with him, yes? His family and mine go way back." Astos stroked his chin and appeared lost in thought. "The two mages on the other hand... Most interesting."

"What? What's interestin'?"

Astos shook his head. "Nothing that greatly concerns you, although I should say that Vasquez and his new friends are not to be underestimated. No, these humans are special somehow. But that's not even the half of it. Things are going to be getting complicated in Cornelia soon. You gave the Royals more of a run for their money than I'd previously imagined... If you're looking for work, I have another job for you."

Bikke shook his head. "Forget it."

"But this one's on my land."

"Then get one of yer own to do it! I got a backstabber to backstab, and Vasquez'll be back. I wanna have a warm Provokan welcome ready for him when he returns."

"How do you know he'll be back?"

"Am I wrong!?"

Astos smiled. "No, I'm just curious."

"He hates me more than anything. My fleet is- WAS, built on the remnants of his family's shipping consortium. His ma and pa hanged 'cause o' me. He's been a thorn in me side ever since."

The dark elf smiled and nodded. "I see. Literally."

"Then why did you ask?"

"Just testing my new toy. So, you're unavailable for the time being?"

"I'll never work for you again!" Bikke growled. "After you pay me, we're through!"

Astos stood and bowed. "Of course." He reached into his cloak and produced a sheet of parchment and handed it to Bikke. Scrawled all over the page were cryptic designs similar to the tattoos on Astos' face. "The Elven merchant marine ship Dragonwillow is moored at Pier Eight. It's crew may appear to be Eastern Elves, but they're not. They're with me. This is a letter of authorization to have the cargo- your payment- offloaded. I will inform the captain that the price has been renegotiated."

The dark elf put his hood back up. "I wish you would reconsider, Captain. I can help you rebuild your fleet. Thirty-five million is a start, but it's only a start, and there's plenty more where that came from. The Crystal Eye has shown you to be far more capable than I previously thought."

Bikke scoffed. "I'm flattered, but nay. In my current fix I probably couldn't even pull off this next job."

Astos sighed. "Very well, I'll just have to find someone more capable for this next little errand." He turned to leave the room while Bikke shuffled around for a fresh, unbroken bottle.

"Good luck with your li'l coup!" The pirate called after him.

"Luck?' Astos turned and bared his fangs in the dark elven approximation of a smile. He pulled his hood back again and tapped his fake eye. "I won't need it." He hissed.
Last edited by Darth Raptor on 2005-05-07 01:14am, edited 1 time in total.