SDN photo album?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

SDN Photo Album?

Sure, why not?
93%
Naw, why bother?
7%

Total votes: 43

Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

SDN photo album?

Post by Robert Walper »

Has this been discussed before? If so, I didn't find anything for it with the search engine.

Anyone thought about putting together a "SDN Photo Album"; essentially a site/link showing pictures of all (voluntary) members of SDN, perhaps a brief description of them and their interests? We have the "Official Members Pic Thread"...but that's not quite the same.

Good idea? Yay? Nay?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN photo album?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Robert Walper wrote:Has this been discussed before? If so, I didn't find anything for it with the search engine.

Anyone thought about putting together a "SDN Photo Album"; essentially a site/link showing pictures of all (voluntary) members of SDN, perhaps a brief description of them and their interests? We have the "Official Members Pic Thread"...but that's not quite the same.

Good idea? Yay? Nay?
Sure, if someone happens to have reliable server space that doesn't have an insanely small bandwidth cap. It would be a very time-intensive undertaking.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:Has this been discussed before? If so, I didn't find anything for it with the search engine.

Good idea? Yay? Nay?
Sure, if someone happens to have reliable server space that doesn't have an insanely small bandwidth cap. It would be a very time-intensive undertaking.
I'd do it, I even have an offer from a friend for good web hosting. I might just check into it when I get a chance. I don't get to see him online all that often, plus I need to figure out some bloodly FTP uploading software and crap. *frowns*
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Robert Walper wrote:
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:

Good idea? Yay? Nay?
I'd do it, I even have an offer from a friend for good web hosting. I might just check into it when I get a chance. I don't get to see him online all that often, plus I need to figure out some bloodly FTP uploading software and crap. *frowns*
I recommend FileZilla. It's ridiculously easy to use.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

One could use Imageshack for image hosting. The HTML... heck, why not ask Darth Wong and see if he'd be willing to host it?
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Aww I really like it!
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

I'm for it.

Idea: maybe there can be a comments section for each member or photo. Depending on where it is hosted, it could potentially be tied in with a subforum here so only members here can post. That could act as an offset to the all-too-common tendancy to post comments in picture threads in this forum.

Of course, it could also easily get out of hand if that's allowed, so I won't be surprised if the comments idea is shot down.
Later...
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

The idea of SDN members accessing it only is a good one I think.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I think it's a good idea. With a concise set of links for an index, it will be a lot easier than slogging through the old threads.

And yes, I'll submit a picture too. If I ever get a camera. :P
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Why not keep it on the board, make a new forum in the 'System' section, put it under Testing and Completed Fanfics. Call it 'Member Identification' or something.

In the forum itself, you can have 29 threads. Each thread will focus on usernames. A-Z (26 threads), # (for those people like 2000AD who's username is a number), and moderators and admins. Each post will have whatever photo you want of yourself, plus your avatar, plus whatever comments are made about you. Then the thread is locked.

We can do a trial run in AMP to give people a chance to make comments on the person, basically constructive thoughts and so on. Is there any reason to say "This guy is a fuckhead."? If he is, he should be in the shit list.

Do it this way and you keep the member IDs on the board, which is more convenient, you can restrict access to only board members, lock the threads so only a moderator can edit the posts, and your photo and information will be available for everyone who's signed up. Give it to the Chronicle, or set up a new usergroup for this.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I suppose it will come in handy when they get round to printing all the wanted posters.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It could work if done right (then I don't know of anything that would if done wrong). Of course there's the problem that some people change their Av quite often (unlike me, as I have changed my av only once (from Palpatine to Revan).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Sounds like a plan.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:It could work if done right (then I don't know of anything that would if done wrong). Of course there's the problem that some people change their Av quite often (unlike me, as I have changed my av only once (from Palpatine to Revan).
I don't think avatars will matter in this forum... it's pictures of the users themselves, not their avatars. I think you've got threads mixed up... :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:It could work if done right (then I don't know of anything that would if done wrong). Of course there's the problem that some people change their Av quite often (unlike me, as I have changed my av only once (from Palpatine to Revan).
I don't think avatars will matter in this forum... it's pictures of the users themselves, not their avatars. I think you've got threads mixed up... :wink:
there was suggestion of using Avs as form of ID for the users.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Lord Revan wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
there was suggestion of using Avs as form of ID for the users.
It's a good thing such a suggestion wouldn't seriously take. I mean, it'd work for someone like myself, who generally only changes his avatar upon reaching major posting milestones . . . and even not that frequently. It wouldn't work for some other folks here who change their avatars daily or weekly.

Getting back on-topic, I can see how it would be an extremely good idea to keep this sort of thing (the official SD.net photo album) members-only, as the potential for abuse by trolls, internet stalkers and the like is pretty high, to say the least.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: Getting back on-topic, I can see how it would be an extremely good idea to keep this sort of thing (the official SD.net photo album) members-only, as the potential for abuse by trolls, internet stalkers and the like is pretty high, to say the least.
A very good point. I wonder which moderator/admin we could suggest this to? It's worth a try I think, it would add another more personalized element to SDN. 8)
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Sound like a private SD.Net Face Party.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Lord Pounder wrote:Sound like a private SD.Net Face Party.
I'd strongly oppose this definition, as it would inevitably result in a new "Private SDN facial party". :P
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I like this idea but I think it should stay on the board so it's easier for us to visit it. I personally have trouble remembering who's who cause I associate people with their avatars and then when they change them I get confused and lose track of who they are :oops:
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Excellent idea!
Robert Walper wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:Sound like a private SD.Net Face Party.
I'd strongly oppose this definition, as it would inevitably result in a new "Private SDN facial party". :P
I'd be more than willing to give you a facial :twisted:
Image Image
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm sure I've been on boards before with Gallery tabs near the whole login/logout/search panel thing at the top left. I don't see why one for sdnet would be a bad thing.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

*Thumbs up* I'm for it too .
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

Good idea, a closed thread for SDN members only would provide us with a bigger sense of security, thus providing more shots from everyone :D
I'm up for it as well.
Mark S wrote:Maybe they're allowed to have all the casual sex they want. It's not sex that's forbidden, it's attachment.

"Go forth and fuck her brains out, my young Padawan. Just remember, no cuddling and pillow talk afterwards."
- Concerning the topic "Jedi training and sexuality"
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

It's an excellent idea, I'm all for it! I also agree that it has to be accessable to board members only. Any other way would be inviting trouble.
- Ra