Sauron Supermen?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Mote in God's Eye isn't the start of the universe. King David's Spaceship was written earlier.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Imperial Overlord wrote:First, its Pournelle's universe. Niven cowrote a few of the books. Sterling, who is a co-writer of the Sauron books and two of the Mercenary series, is also a cowriter of the War World novels. That makes Stirling a cowriter of four novels set in the universe and several short stories versus Niven's one short story and two co written novels that barely mention Saurons. Since when does a throw away line from a character who is ignorant of the subject matter override a cowriter who deals extensively the central matter?

It doesn't.
It wasn't Pournelle who came up with the Moties nor the entire setting. The Moties were very much Niven's creation and the universe is just as much his as it is Pournelle's.

Why should what Sterling wrote override what one of the original creators of the universe wrote, particular given Sterling's amazing "Midas Touch"-like ability to turn anything he touchs into a wankfest?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

1) Niven has his own wankfests. Psi weapons killing everyone in the galaxy for one.

2) One line in one book by a character who never met a Sauron versus:

3) 3 short story collections featuring Saurons (including Niven's story "Brenda")

4) Two novels featuring Saurons

5) The Gripping Hand, featuring characters descended from Brenda.

You want one line by an ignorant character to override two novels and three anthologies. Your basis is "Niven wrote that line and I don't like Sterling." Too bad because it isn't just Stirling you have to contend with. It's Pournelle, Drake, Turttledove, Niven, Tarr, Shwartz, Hawthorne, and others as well.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Gil, A Spaceship for the King was published in 1973 and Mote in 1974. I'm fairly sure that Pournelle at least had the general shape of his universe written down by that point.

Besides, in one of his essays in N-Space (or maybe it's Playgrounds of the Mind), Niven says that he decided to set Mote in Pournelle's future-history instead of his own because Known Space already had aliens. So he must have known something about Pournelle's universe, meaning it had to exist already in some form or another.

My point is that it's Pournelle's world, everyone else is just playing in it.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Diamedes
Youngling

Post by Diamedes »

It really plays to Pournelle's strengths too. The CoDominium universe prior to the introduction of the Moties is very much an expression of Pournelle's views on political science, which is what he has his doctorate in, along with psychology. Niven's talent is in coming up with bizarre as hell aliens and interesting technology. Thus Moties meet Empire.

King David's Spaceship predate the Mote in Gods Eye by a year. It should be noted that events in Mote are referenced in King David's, so it's obvious Mote was on the burner at the time.

However, the original version of Kind David's, a Spaceship for the King, was serialized in Analog in 1971. So was "Peace with Honor". Falkenberg appeared in "The Mercenary" in 1972. "He Fell into a Dark Hole" appeared in 1973. "He Fell into A Dark Hole" occurs the earliest in the Future History that I've read, and aside from The Gripping Hand, A Spaceship for the King occurs the latest, so it is highly probably that Pournelle had the entire future history prior to Mote mapped out, and has just farmed out many of the details.

So yeah, I agree, it is very much Pournelle's playground.
Look at that S-car go.