Lego Venator

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Lego Venator

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Holy sheep dip, check this thing out!

http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/c3/LEGO/
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Ahh, Lego. Is there anything you can't do?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Oh. My. God.
I WANT!!!
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Hmm, the hull doesn't seem capable of opening up to reveal the flight deck. Boo.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I wonder how much a kit for that would cost.

And by 'wonder' I mean "shudder to think"
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Jaepheth wrote:I wonder how much a kit for that would cost.

And by 'wonder' I mean "shudder to think"
Assuming it's hollow the simple cost of parts would easily be over a grand. Factoring into the equation labor cost associated with design and construction I'd say you could probably buy a good used car for less.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Are those control surfaces on the back of the ship? And those engines look huge. I'm anxious to get a better view of them to get an idea of their total surface area.

I like the way the photographer took those pictures. They really make that ~2 m long model look like its 1137 m emulatee(is that a word? EDIT: I'll keep it for lack of a better one).

Now I'm slightly more anxious to see this film! :D
Last edited by Hardy on 2005-04-30 06:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/ ... pwned1.jpg[/img]"I like Florida. Everything is in the eighties. The temperatures, the ages, and the IQs." -George Carlin

"Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world." -Arthur Schopenhauer

Picture by Snap-hiss
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I might add that Lego sells off large projects like this on E-bay when they're through with them. I wanna say that proceeds go to charity, but I'm not exactly sure about that. With keen eyes and a large pocket book you might be able to buy this thing in a few months, assuming Lego built it of course.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Here are some more photos

That's no Lego, it's a starship!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Whoops, his main sublights are out of place. Inboards are too low.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

That last gallery is useful.

The Venator has about 4 sets of engines, which I've labeled:

The approximate scaling factor is 0.75 m/px.

Bank 1 measures about 36 m in diameter per engine.
Bank 2 measures about 10 m.
Bank 3 measures about 56 m.
Bank 4 measures about 73 m.

The total area of the apertures is about 15250 m². If the Venator's annihilation rate is approximately equal to its mass flow rate, then its engines can produce 1.2E16 N thrust. Therefore, these engines can exert a mean pressure of 787 GPa.

Unless the Lego model is too far out of proportion.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/ ... pwned1.jpg[/img]"I like Florida. Everything is in the eighties. The temperatures, the ages, and the IQs." -George Carlin

"Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world." -Arthur Schopenhauer

Picture by Snap-hiss
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Like I said, the engines are positioned wrong. I'd also question their proportions. What about using the Revell kit's design? It seems to be based on the film model renderings.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

People, it's a freakin' Lego set, it's not going to be perfect.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Considering the obvious amount of detail they've poured into it, you'd think they could at least get the engine configuration right. :P
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Firefox wrote:Like I said, the engines are positioned wrong. I'd also question their proportions.
Looks that way when comared to the ICS, but could be perspective. The proportions of the engines relative to each other looks about right.
What about using the Revell kit's design? It seems to be based on the film model renderings.
This? It does look more reliable than the Lego model, but I'd have to get a good picture of the rear to make measurements.

Picture by Snap-hiss
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Try this.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Thanks. But I do have to work against perspective, which is difficult. But there are big differences between the Lego and Revell model.

EDIT: This should actually be easier than I thought since diameter isn't skewed as much.

Picture by Snap-hiss
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Okay, using this one. Same labling scheme. 0.78 m/px

Engine 1: 20 m
Engine 2: 7 m
Engine 3: 67 m
Engine 4: 88 m

Total area: 19700 m²

This corresponds to a mean nozzle pressure of 609 GPa.

And I must say that those are some really nice shots.

Picture by Snap-hiss
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Hmm first time I see a Venator in its full glory. I most say those turrets on top arent placed very efficient

Regardless... I want one :shock:
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Overall, the Venerator isn't that great of a design. It's evident that Kuat Drive Yards are just getting into the swing of building proper battleships that's evidenced with future destroyers. It took everybody a little while to build proper tanks in WWII.

With that said, I'd have to say it's likely around the 500-1000 dollar range, but Lego would never sell it since it's a fan-built model. Besides, they've already got the ISD model that they sell on their site and at lego stores.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

How much does it cost?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Err....What is it?
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

xBlackFlash wrote:Err....What is it?
It's the new Star Destroyer class for Episode III.

And you *really* do have to watch the movies someday... :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

This is a trick question, right?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I'm going to suggest to Petro that he disown your ass...

*shakes his head and walks away*
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator