USAF Marches

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

USAF Marches

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

This page has a ton of USAF marches. They're almost as good as the Nazi marches I linked to before! :lol:

Legal? Yes:
These recordings are approved by the Department of the Air Force for use in public service broadcasting, recruiting, educational activities, and troop morale and retention.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Good something the RIAA can't bitch about :mrgreen:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Another page that's worth looking at:

Van Gogh

This Master Seargent Forte composed 5 pieces based off of Van Gogh paintings. Interesting concept. To me, the moods of the first, third, and fourth pieces suit their respective paintings very well. IMO, if he had a full orchestra they could have been much better. But his compositions are overall very good.

If you hunt around the website, you'll find a lot of good music on it.

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Aha...in my military march hunt I stumbled across a lot of good Soviet music. Don't know if the site is legal...therefore...PM. :P

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

These are not 'Air Force' marches, as many if not all of them existed before the Air Force did. These recordings are simply performed by the Air Force Airmen.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Hmm...so then what Air Force music is there then? Don't tell me it is limited to this page. After extensive Googling, I couldn't find anything past those. That's astonishing. There has to be more than that.

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Hmm...so then what Air Force music is there then? Don't tell me it is limited to this page. After extensive Googling, I couldn't find anything past those. That's astonishing. There has to be more than that.
That may be it. The Air Force hasn't been around for that long you know.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

No way. They said that in order to select the official Air Force anthem they had to go through 757 pieces.
In 1938, Liberty magazine sponsored a contest for a spirited, enduring musical composition to become the official Army Air Corps song. Of 757 scores submitted, Robert Crawford’s was selected by a committee of Air Force wives. The song (informally known as "The Air Force Song" but now formally titled "The U.S. Air Force") was officially introduced at the Cleveland Air Races on September 2, 1939. Fittingly, Crawford sang in its first public performance.
Apparently, there's a lot more out there that are ignored. :?

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:No way. They said that in order to select the official Air Force anthem they had to go through 757 pieces.
In 1938, Liberty magazine sponsored a contest for a spirited, enduring musical composition to become the official Army Air Corps song. Of 757 scores submitted, Robert Crawford’s was selected by a committee of Air Force wives. The song (informally known as "The Air Force Song" but now formally titled "The U.S. Air Force") was officially introduced at the Cleveland Air Races on September 2, 1939. Fittingly, Crawford sang in its first public performance.
Apparently, there's a lot more out there that are ignored. :?
Yeah. 757 pieces were submitted. 756 of them didn't make it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

The point is that they are all Air Force songs, aren't they? Just because 756 of them aren't the official Air Force anthem doesn't mean they aren't still Air Force songs.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:The point is that they are all Air Force songs, aren't they? Just because 756 of them aren't the official Air Force anthem doesn't mean they aren't still Air Force songs.
Actually, I think it was just 757 songs created by scratch, so they weren't actual Air Force songs (ie, presently in use throughout the AF) so much as they were ideas people came up with about the Air Force when the contest or whatever was announced.

Kinda like DW making a contest for an SDNet song and getting 100 submissions. They'd likely be submissions created solely for the event, and not 100 songs that were already out there about SDNet.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Incidently, the Air Force Dirge sounds like something that could come out of a movie (sort of).

Since I'm not as up on military music as I probably should be, do the other services have something similar? A service funeral march, I mean. I already know about Taps.

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

(Shrugs.) Beats the piss out of me. All I know is that 756 pieces couldn't have possibly been entirely thrown out. Why would they completely disregard them as Air Force pieces just because they weren't selected as the official Air Force anthem? Even if they were all composed specifically for that competition, it just seems silly to throw them all away just for one piece.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

:lol:

Apparently, the Air Force Song actually says, "Zoom!" at one point.

Whether they actually sing it normally I don't know, but it's in the official lyrics.

I just found this highly amusing. :D

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

(F-15 locks on to MiG-29.)

"Zoom!"

(Destroys it.)

:P

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I went to see the International Tatoo in Norfolk last weekend. It was a great show. US militar bands, a Canadian unit, and the Norwigean Kings Fife and Drum company. Nothing better than than hearing bagpipes from people who know how to play!
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

RogueIce wrote: Apparently, the Air Force Song actually says, "Zoom!" at one point.
I have never heard that part sung. And it's still not as bad as "hi hi hee in the field artillery"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
RogueIce wrote: Apparently, the Air Force Song actually says, "Zoom!" at one point.
I have never heard that part sung. And it's still not as bad as "hi hi hee in the field artillery"
"Anchors Aweigh" is still the best of the service songs. It involves drinking at one point. :D

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

How could "Anchors Away" match the "Air Force Song"? The music is a toss-up, I guess, but the lyrics? Hell no. Here is a comparison between the two:
Air Force Song wrote:Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Additional verses:

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!)
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey!

Bridge: "A Toast to the Host"

Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true;
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder
Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men, guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more!
In echelon we carry on. Hey!
Anchors Away wrote:Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.
Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more:
Here's wishing you a happy voyage home.

Stand, Navy, out to sea, Fight our battle cry;
We'll never change our course, So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll out the TNT, Anchors Aweigh.
Sail on to victory
And sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!

Stand Navy, down the field,
Sail set to the sky
We'll never change our course
So Army you steer shy-y-y-y

Roll up the score Navy
Anchors Aweigh
Sail, Navy, down the field,
And sink the Army, sink the Army gray.
The "Air Force Song" is filled with descriptions of mass destruction and the awesome firepower of the USAF while "Anchors Away" just gives dull and vague descriptions of sinking its enemies and fighting the Army (whatever army that may be).

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

First of all, it's "Anchors Aweigh" you silly land lubber.

Secondly, the whole Army thing is in reference to the good ol' Army/Navy game. Which means we also reference football in our song.

Besides, "Zoom!" brings the Air Force song down, a lot. Meanwhile we roll out TNT and drink to the foam while sinking bones down to Davy Jones in Anchors Aweigh.

No contest.

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

RogueIce wrote:First of all, it's "Anchors Aweigh" you silly land lubber.
Oops. :oops:
Secondly, the whole Army thing is in reference to the good ol' Army/Navy game.
Yeah, the Navy hates all other military branches while there is no evidence of that in the "Air Force Song." :P
Which means we also reference football in our song.
Football? Piss on football.
Besides, "Zoom!" brings the Air Force song down, a lot. Meanwhile we roll out TNT and drink to the foam while sinking bones down to Davy Jones in Anchors Aweigh.

No contest.
And how is a toast to the host not a reference to drinking? The USAF drinks to their brethren while the Navy drinks to the...foam?? :P

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:
RogueIce wrote:First of all, it's "Anchors Aweigh" you silly land lubber.
Oops. :oops:
Let that be a lesson to ye.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Yeah, the Navy hates all other military branches while there is no evidence of that in the "Air Force Song." :P
We hate them for the same reason SDNet hates stupid people.

Because we're better than them. :P
IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Football? Piss on football.
Meh, it's a tradition thing. And the military loves tradition.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote:And how is a toast to the host not a reference to drinking? The USAF drinks to their brethren while the Navy drinks to the...foam?? :P
They drink to their host, aka the senior officer, thereby demonstrating that they're a bunch of elitist snobs. The Navy meanwhile drinks to the sea, or at least sailing upon it, the thing that unites us all.

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

RogueIce wrote:Let that be a lesson to ye.
Yarrrggghhh...[drunken pirate mumbling]...Davy Jones' locker!
We hate them for the same reason SDNet hates stupid people.

Because we're better than them. :P
Hmm....the Navy probably has much more power than the Army. Super carriers are quite a deadly force.
Meh, it's a tradition thing. And the military loves tradition.
Then it should be a traditional hatred of sports. :P
They drink to their host, aka the senior officer, thereby demonstrating that they're a bunch of elitist snobs. The Navy meanwhile drinks to the sea, or at least sailing upon it, the thing that unites us all.
It says they, "drink to those who gave their all of old," so ha! The Navy drinks to the sea and to the act of sailing rather than to their own brethren! Damn, that's cold. :D