Banshee Frigate: Hiigaran Intelligence Ship

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Well, how does the Banshee rank?

Poll ended at 2005-05-12 02:40pm

It's good.
57%
It's excellent!
43%
It's teh suxxor! Boo!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Ra
Padawan Learner

Banshee Frigate: Hiigaran Intelligence Ship

Post by Ra »

OK, here's a small ship I designed. It's the "Banshee" frigate, operated by Fleet Intelligence for covert operations behind Imperialist Taiidan lines. Obviously, it's a Homeworld-verse ship. The Banshee makes an appearance in my fanfic, thus the reason I invented it in the first place.

Specs

Crew: 27, including civilian operatives with the Hiigaran Intelligence Bureau.

Top speed: in excess of .23 x c (exact speed classified)

Armament: 2 light kinetic burst turrets

Special equipment: "Mimic" holographic projector grid, Cloaking device, Advanced sensors

The Banshee frigate is a highly classified vessel in use by Fleet Intelligence. Equipped with the most advanced passive-running and engine field-masking technologies, as well as a highly advanced hull geometry that incorporates sensor-absorbing materials, the Banshee is designed to move undetected behind enemy lines, even through proximity nets that can detect active cloaking fields.
Even her cloaking device is the most advanced in the Hiigaran Navy, designed with classified field modulators to fool proximity detectors. When active sensors involved can defeat both her stealth coating and cloak, the Banshee is equipped with holographic projectors to disguise herself as another ship or even space debris if need be. A technology pioneered by the Turanic Raiders and perfected by Kiith Somtaaw around 15 AL, mimics were eventually rendered ineffective, and thus abandoned. The Hiigaran Intelligence Bureau has recently revived the technology, making it once again a viable means of infiltrating enemy lines.
Designed to avoid combat if at all possible, the Banshee's goal is simply to gather intelligence, and follow up on ELINT and HUMINT operations Fleet Intelligence has conducted. Accordingly, the Banshee is armed defensively, using improved versions of the Flak Frigate's weaponry.
In black operations, Banshees have been known to insert and extract operatives and Marine special forces, slipping in and out before anyone realizes they are there. And by the time the Imperials do detect a Banshee, it is already too late...
Last edited by Ra on 2005-05-02 03:12pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Is this a profile view or a top down view?

I like the design and color scheme. If its a top down view, I would personally throw out the bulb extension, being a fan of symmetry and all. You also may want to adjust your specs as your top speed is not really that fast. The speed of sound in air after all is 330m/s.

Edit: Am I right in assuming that the bulb projection is your holographic projector/ sensor suite?
Last edited by Dangermouse on 2005-05-02 02:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

The HW1 ion cannon frigate's stated speed is only 300 m/s. That's game mechanics for you. And yes, it's a top-down view. The "bulb" is actually the bridge, as the Hiigarans favor having the bridge on the starboard side for some reason.
But I will try and think up a better speed. How is... 2500 m/s? That's over mach 7, I think.
- Ra
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Ra wrote:The "bulb" is actually the bridge, as the Hiigarans favor having the bridge on the starboard side for some reason.
Understood.

I would punt on the speed term or put the sublight speeds in fractions of "c." If this is to enter the atmopshere for insertions, you will want to make sure it can leave the planet's surface. Escape velocity neglecting drag is v= sqrt(2gr) or around 11000 m/s. This assumes that only the initial force to accelerate to that speed is applied though.

Edit: Actually, I withdraw this point. Your ship could be at any speed provided it has enough fuel to maintain the force to counter gravity which I assume yours can . :) But it does make an interesting comparision.
Last edited by Dangermouse on 2005-05-02 03:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

OK. I edited the speed to something sensible, around .20 x c. Homeworld ships don't necessarily go through the atmosphere, but this one probably does require that feature for black ops.
- Ra
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Rocking. Do you have any more views of the design?
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

Not right now, I'll get right on it.
- Ra
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Nice ship, but I'm not a big fan of the HW school of design. That said, excellent ship!
Image Image
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

Here's the Starboard view. It's kind of bland from that angle, but oh well.
- Ra
For comparison:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Nice, VERY nice Ra!. So THATS what the Banshee looks liek from your FanFic :D loosk really good. It however looks a bit too, 'rounded'. I'm sure you'll know that, due to Game Purposes, all the shaps were angular. So your much more free to design. And, it being a special purpose Hiigaring Frigate, I gues it's merited.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

It's the stealth design. Kinda like how a B-2 has the all-rounded surfaces to absorb radar waves?
I knew all HW designs were angular, guess no one will ever be able to add the Banshee through a mod program. :cry:
- Ra
zannal
Redshirt

Cool ship

Post by zannal »

The ship sounds logical in its uses and abilities which is always a plus. I like how the look is a mix of original HW corvette while frigate size.
Ra
Padawan Learner

Post by Ra »

Here's the last drawings; fore and aft.
- Ra
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Ra wrote:It's the stealth design. Kinda like how a B-2 has the all-rounded surfaces to absorb radar waves?
http://www.airforce-technology.com/proj ... s/b2_9.jpg
I knew all HW designs were angular, guess no one will ever be able to add the Banshee through a mod program. :cry:
- Ra
It'd be hard since the program used to make the models in HW2 were all high end stuff. You could probably do something nice in lightwave though, for the HW1 engine. It's surprising how good some of the models in HW1 mods were.
Go to TGUand look up one or two of the major mods. I suggest the B5: Great Wars, SW:NR, and Raiders Ascendant Modders. It's been a while since some of them have been highly active so you might want to email them and look at their websites rather than post.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!