Your latest discoveries, and current favourite songs

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I just discovered The Distillers. A fine punk band in which Broady Armstrong (The Rancid guy´s ex-wife) sings. Female voice in Punk bands are cool.

And The Nekromantix. A Psychobilly band from Sweden(?). Pretty cool, too.
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

I love the Distillers, I got into them last summer when I friend sent me The Hunger.

I started listening to the new garbage album, Bleed Like Me. I've never been a garbage fan, never really like their stuff except a few singles here and there, but I'm enjoying this.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

In my miltichanger i am currently listening to

1. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters

2. Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

3. Audioslave - Audioslave

4. Cruel Intentions OST

5. Space - Spiders

My winamp playlist, which i listen to mostly is currently loaded with trance and dance tracks from the late 90's till now.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Bob Seger "We've Got Tonight"

Goddamn thats a beautiful song
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I just recently found a band called Longing For Dawn, and goddamn, this is some of the slowest, sludgiest doom metal I have ever heard. In fact, it may be the slowest, sludiest doom metal I've ever heard. And I've heard Grief, EHG, My Dying Bride, and corrupted without flinching.

I would only recommend this band to people that can take really slow sludge and doom, and that's a fairly small clientele; the nu metal kids won't get it, the hardcore kids won't get it, it'll be too slow for the death metallers and black metallers and thrash metallers. Really really fucking slow. I love it. :D
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

As far as discoveries-- There's a band called Anberlin. They're from Florida, and their CD Never Take Friendship Personal is really good.

Another discovery-- Jakalope. Industrial rock from Dave Ogilvie, the producer/mixer for a lot of NIN, Orgy, Skinny Puppy, Marilyn Manson and other stuff. I can hear a big NIN influence in a few of the songs, and the lead singer (a girl) has a good voice.

Songs I can't get out of my head or away from my MP3 player, for now:
Nine Inch Nails - You Know What You Are?
From Autumn To Ashes - Alive Out of Habit
Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism
God Forbid - Precious Lie
Mudvayne - Happy? (and the entire Lost And Found CD, for that matter)

That's all for now, although I'm sure there's more.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Re: Your latest discoveries, and current favourite songs

Post by Bertie Wooster »

WIthin the past month I've found these bands to be superb and have been listening to their stuff quite a bit

1)The Rentals - "The Return of the Rentals" Similar to Weezer.
2)Vive Voce - "The Heat will Melt Your Brain" and "Lover's Lead the Way" A very distinct sound, this is a husband and wife duo.
3)Bloc Party- "Silent Alarm" and "Bloc PArty EP" I'm addicted to "Silent Alarm" album which sounds somewhat like Franz Ferdinand although much more cerebral. I've listened to the song Banquet - Club Version a few dozen times so far this week.
4)M.I.A. - "Arular" Sri-Lankan rapper girl's album is good party music.
5)Stereolab- "Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements" I've always been a fan of Stereolab's early stuff, but I've recently just begun to appreciate this album.
sock
Redshirt

Post by sock »

The Mitchell Brothers
Harvey Nicks ft. Mike Skinner and Sway
Routine Check ft. Mike Skinner and Kano

Sway
Pepsi
Flo Fashion

and nearly anything by Braintax or Taskforce

all of these give me that good feeling inside
live, bomb and prosper
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

been getting into alot of foreign bands and performers lately in the past few months. anyways, few of 'em are as follows:

Kageyama Hironobu - does alot of the vocals for various anime soundtracks, including the super robot wars series.

Mr. Big - Shine band's no longer together, but that single alone is pretty sweet.

t.m. revolution - only recently started getting into some of their other songs beyond the op and ed clips i've heard. some good stuff there.

ayumi hamasaki - got into her from listening to Evolution, then started checking out her other albums.

E Nomine - badass german EBM band. started off with Mitternacht, then started looking to get ahold of as much of their stuff as i could find.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

I'm in the same boat as Darth Zod, mostly checking out Korean and Japanese rock/pseudo-pop stuff. So far, I've found:

There She Is, by The Wiches: I asked around a while back if anyone had known about this song, but eventually found out after scourin the site where I'd first heard it as part of a flash animation. Really neat combo of brass and electric guitar, nice and up-beat, and just a really good listen.

Happy Birthday to Me, by Bulldog Mansion: sort of in the same boat as with the one above, it was part of a flash animation I watched that really caught my ear. A bit more traditional, but still a rather good song.

Runners' High by The Pillows, Taisetsuna Mono by Road of Major, and Grateful Journey by Do As Infinity: really good rock tracks I've been listening to for the last several days.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a recent discovery, but every since they played at my school, I've been checking their tunes more frequently.

The Easystar Allstars - Dub Side of the Moon
These guys did what I thought was impossible: they took Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and re-recorded it as a reggae album. Surprisingly, I find myself liking this version much more than the original! They put on a great live show, as well.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein