The morality of involving kids in warfare?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
I consider anyone under 19 to be a child and would oppose their use in a war. No offense Panzer Grenadier. As a side note, Canada has signed a treaty stating that we will not use child soldiers, so while you can join up at 17, you will not be deployed until you turn 19.
The UN treaty in question bans the use of soldiers under the age of 18, not 19. Canada might be using a stricter policy though.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
The UN treaty in question bans the use of soldiers under the age of 18, not 19. Canada might be using a stricter policy though.
Well unless I was misinformed Canada will not deploy you until you turn 19. We have a history of overdoing things as a way of setting an example, but my info is several years out of date so I could be wrong.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.