If Yoda had said no...

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

If Yoda had said no...

Post by Stravo »

If Yoda denied Obi Wan's request to train Anakin just what could have Obi Wan done? Seriously I don't see it in Obi Wan to leave the order and even if he did wouldn't the order arrest him fro tryng to train someone illegally? Yoda was under no real pressure to allow the training to go ahead IMO so why make the choice? He claims he is afraid of Obi Wan being as rebellious as Qui Gon but in the end it would have been an empty threat on Obi Wan's part.

"Train the boy will you? Meet my foot your ass will."
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Where would Anakin go? Sent to some sort of orphanarium? Back to Tattooine?

I think it'd be even more interesting to see what Palpatine would do.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Gandalf wrote:Where would Anakin go? Sent to some sort of orphanarium? Back to Tattooine?

They might have sent him off to the Agricultural Corps as Obi-Wan nearly was before Qui-gon took him under his wing. If they had, it certainly wouldn't had worked for Palpy in the long run. After all, what better way to show your apprentice-to-be the evils of the Jedi than by training and serving under them?
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Gandalf wrote:Where would Anakin go? Sent to some sort of orphanarium? Back to Tattooine?

Anakin could have been raised in the temple as a healer just like other failed padawans.

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Well, then you have the problem of this kid you dragged off of his homeworld and what to do with him. If Obi-Wan isn't going to be carting Ani around the galaxy with him, he's pretty much stuck with the Jedi council. They probably wouldn't have wanted to just stick him in an orphanage somewhere and let him be, because even when he was a kid they knew he was very powerful in the Force. If they lost track of him, somebody (like palpatine) might have re-discovered the kid and took him in, with dire consequences. I mean, could you imagine what Anakin would have done to the Jedi Order if he had a ten or twenty year head start on his Dark Side training?

So what do you do with the kid? Keep him in the temple and not train him? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense,since it's probably a good way to piss the kid off. You would have to send him somewhere away from Coruscant, and hope that nobody finds him. Or, you could just have Obi-Wan "accidentally" blow Anakin out of an air lock on his way off-planet, but Jedi don't do that sort of thing.

I think Yoda realized that having the kid around was a bad deal, but losing track of him could potentially be ten times worse.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

Wasn't the relevant line effectively:
Qui-gon's defiance I sense in you.

Agree with you the council does, but agree the boy should be trained I do not. Great danger will come of this (Okay I forgot what's the objection after "Agree with you the council does." )

So shouldn't the question be what if the council said no, not what if Yoda said no?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

"Agree with you, the Council does. Your apprentice Skywalker will be."
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Qui Gon seemed more than happy to keep Anakin despite the ruling of the council, with his whole, 'I can't officially train you but if I were to leave this lightsabre on the table, and this remote just happened to be floating around, and you just happened to start playing around, I couldn't help but give you pointers...' routine. Obi Wan would have done the same. Better to have the kid trained with support than half-assed. For whatever good it did.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

The relevant exchange:
The Phantom Menace wrote:YODA
Confer on you, the level of Jedi
Knight the Coucil does. But agree on
you taking this boy as your Padawan
learner, I do not.

OBI-WAN
Qui-Gon believed in him. I believe
in Qui-Gon.

YODA
The Chosen One the boy may be;
nevertheless, grave danger I fear in
his training.

OBI-WAN
Master Yoda, Igave Qui-Gon my word.
I will train Anakin. Without the
approval of the Council if I must.

YODA
Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you.
Need that, you do not. Agree, the
council does. Your apprentice, young
Skywalker will be.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Freeman's Trigger-Finger
Youngling

Post by Freeman's Trigger-Finger »

There would be no logic in sending Anakin back to Tantooine, mother or no mother. He would only return to an unwelcoming Watto, who would more than likely merely take Anakin as a slave again. Unless the Jedi could guarantee his safety in that respect, kind of like compensation for him not being trained.

In fact, I think it would probaly have been an interesting turn if Lucas had gone with this intial premise in the first place. With Anakin being denied his Padawan/Jedi status by the Council, only to be confronted by sympathizer Palpatine, who, in earnest, could employ a defianat Obi Wan to train the boy. His path to the Dark-Side already under-way from the get-go :twisted:
They told me there was nothing out there, nothing but fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something, and I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows, and there is something out there in the darkness...something terrifying, something that will not stop until it has revenge. Me -- Batman, Batman Begins
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Anakin trained by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine from the beginning .... can you imagine the Sith Lord he would be?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crown
NARF

Re: If Yoda had said no...

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:If Yoda denied Obi Wan's request to train Anakin just what could have Obi Wan done? Seriously I don't see it in Obi Wan to leave the order and even if he did wouldn't the order arrest him fro tryng to train someone illegally? Yoda was under no real pressure to allow the training to go ahead IMO so why make the choice? He claims he is afraid of Obi Wan being as rebellious as Qui Gon but in the end it would have been an empty threat on Obi Wan's part.

"Train the boy will you? Meet my foot your ass will."
Before the PT, I would have answered; yes. Obi-Wan would have trained him regardless; 'I thought I could instruct him as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

But after ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ravengrim
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Ravengrim »

Qui-Gon have already decided to train him whether or not the council agreed, remember he was pretty much the SW equivalent of a fundie. Plus bringing him back to Tattoine would have been pretty fucked up.
"Hey, Ani. Yeah...this whole 'Jedi training thing really isn't working out. It's not so much you as it is me. Im just going to have to take you back to being a slave, OK? Alright, great."

In the Star Wars universe it was prophecy that he would be the one to bring balance to the Force, so it was going to happen regardless. In fact, he did actually bring balance. There were too many light-siders and the oppression of dark-siders. He equalled things out.
I'm a worthless twat.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Everyone keeps making this statemetn that Anakin would have to be brought back to Tatooine. Thats just false. Anakin would easily have been integrated into the healer Corps that the failed padawans go to. No fuss no muss. Anakin is still free, still part of the Order just no longer dangerous.
Last edited by Stravo on 2005-05-08 09:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Stravo is right.

In Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, it specifically talks about how sending a failed padawan, or in Anakin's case, a being strong in the force but unsuitable for training, back home is extremely dangerous, since the reject is bound to use and misuse their powers. They send them all of to the Ag. Corps or Healers to keep them under control and prevent them from becoming Dark Jedi.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction