In the begining

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

In the begining

Post by Alyeska »

Been thinking about this fanfic for a while, thought I'd write out a start to it and see what people thought.

It was the weekend, my day to relax in bed till 9 and just take it easy. Sadly this wasn’t going to go quite like that.

At some time just before 8, I awoke to a loud banging on my door. I grumbled. “Who the fuck wants to talk to me at this time in the morning?”. I got up and through on some clothes from the night before. I got to my apartment door, and things just didn’t sound right. It sounded like someone was being physically attacked outside my door and some poor lady was screaming. I peeked out my spy hole and paled at what I saw. One of my neighbors was hunkered down on the floor with a nasty looking wound on her arm while her boyfriend was being viciously attacked by some lunatic about 10 feet away.

I panicked for a moment. What should I do, who should I call? After about 15 seconds of just standing there doing nothing I realized that whatever was going on with that lunatic, he might attack my neighbor again. I run into my bedroom and grab my pistol, a Glock-22. It was loaded with 8 rounds of hollowpoint .40cal. I quietly open my door and see the lunatic still attacking my neighbors boyfriend. I beckon to her and she quickly gets up and runs into my apartment. The lunatic hears this and gets up and turns around.

“What the fuck…” He was covered in blood all over his front side and his face was an absolute mess. He screamed in rage and started running towards my door. I slam it shut just in time and quickly lock it. He slams against the door, but does little. This doesn’t reassure me. I grab a chair and jam it under the door handle and lock the dead bolt.

My neighbor (I don’t even know her name at this point) was inside my living room just shaking with fear. She had a nasty looking gash on her arm. I take her to the kitchen and she washes up the wound. I don’t have bandages big enough so I carefully position some tissue paper then paper towels and press them down. I then use packing tape to hold pressure down on the wound. I sit her down on my couch and start asking her a few questions.

“Well, this isn’t a good time to ask, but what is your name?”

She has a vacant look, doesn’t answer for a moment, then she bobs her head. “Lisa”

“Ok Lisa, can you tell me what happened?”

Lisa started sobbing. After a few minutes she regained some composure. “Rob and I were going out for breakfast this morning. I just got finished locking the apartment up when that psycho came running up and grabbed me. He bit my arm. Rob jumped him and they began to tussle on the floor. I banged on your door, then I just felt weak and fell to the floor. Then you opened your door…”

About that moment I realized it would be a good time to call the police. I pulled out my cellphone, then just noticed something. I was hearing an awful lot of sirens outside. I dialed 911.

“911 emergency, what is the situation?”

“My neighbor has been attacked by some lunatic and I think this lunatic killer her boyfriend and began to eat him. I think whoever this is is seriously hopped up on drugs.”

“Him and half the city it seems. I will get a unit your way when we can, but right now Casper (Casper, Wyoming) is a virtual mess. We have fights breaking out all over the city and it will take a while to get anyone your way. Are you secure?”

“Oh yeah, apartment door is locked and I have a couple guns.”

Suddenly our connection cut out. I tried dialing 911 again and only got a busy signal. Little did I know it had only begun.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Interesting. Most interesting.

I will follow its career with interest.

P.S. Do you want criticism or not?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Intersting but the writing style needs work IMHO. As well as a spell and grammar check. Lack of apostrophes indictating ownerships comes to mind.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Talk about grammar should be phrased politely seeing as this is not a "serious" effort on my part.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Is this your own creation or it fanfic for some series/movie/book/etc..
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Sounds like an original creation.

And it feels like 28 Days Later all over again. :D
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Seeing as this story is taking place in the apartment I live in...

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Just then I realized there was something else I should probably be trying to do. Lisa did have a rather nasty gash on her arm. Calling for an ambulance probably would be a good idea. I tried dialing 911 a second time, and got through again. I gave them the information and they said they would dispatch an ambulance shortly. Then I realized that this dispatcher didn’t realize that some crazed madman was outside apparently feasting on Rob’s body like some cannibal.

I walked over to the door and looked outside. The freak was just pacing the hall now, apparently mumbling (more like grumbling and rumbling) to himself. His face and body torso was covered in blood, and he appeared to have a nasty wound on his neck. Maybe the sick fuck will bleed to death before the ambulance arrives.

No such luck.

I hear sirens in the distance grow closer. In another few minutes a fire truck arrives. I poke my head out the window and shout a warning to the firemen. “Hey, there is some freakshow inside who murdered my neighbors boyfriend, acting like a cannibal.” The fireman only nodded his head and pointed to one of his coworkers. That fireman pulled out a blood stained axe. What the fuck is going on here? I wondered.

At about that moment the front door to my complex burst open and two people rushed towards the Fireman. The one with the axe raised it up and swung at the first person taking an arm off. I nearly threw up. What in gods name is going on…. The second person lunged and tackled the fireman. The now armless first person tried to get off the ground, but another fireman smashed a oxygen bottle into his head. The fireman with the axe was on the ground wrestling with the second crazed individual and saw him get a bite taken out of his arm.

I turned away from the window and just listened. I heard what sounded like the sound of death and shouts of fear by the Fireman, I couldn’t turn and look. Noise, lots and lots of noise, then someone gunned the engine and started trying to drive up the street, but then a terrible crunch, it hit the next apartment complex. I look outside and see two fireman dead on the ground, several crazy looking people, and another fireman walking around with them with a very dazed look.

I went to my bathroom and promptly emptied what little was left in my stomach from the previous dinner into the toilet. This went on for several minutes.

I checked on Lisa, she was in shock after seeing her lover die, she was cold, and her arm where she was bitten didn’t look good. I made her some hot tea and told her to lie down on the couch and cover herself with a blanket, help will arrive soon I assured her. I doubt she heard what went on outside, she was in a nearly catatonic state.

I had to get clean. I was wearing yesterdays clothes, I had been sweating in fear, and I felt a need to get clean. I spent a good long time in the shower that morning trying to wash away the feeling of dirt that had accumulated after watching so much violence. In the end all it did was wake me up a little to reality, though the feeling of doing something normal was nice. I put on some fresh clothes and came back out to check on Lisa. She didn’t look to good, she was turning pale. I wondered if being in shock could do that? I couldn’t remember from my days in college and learning about such things.

I watched Lisa fight to stay awake. The shock was tiring her out, she was starting to get sleepy it seemed. Eventually she just nodded off. I sighed and sat down at the kitchen table and just started thinking about what was going on. It just didn’t make any sense. These people aren’t hopped up on drugs, so what is going on? Mass hysteria? Alien invasion? What? Lisa woke up, sat up on the couch and looked my way. She had a very vacant look in her eyes.

“Lisa, are you feeling ok?” I asked.

That’s when it happened.

Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Shinova wrote:And it feels like 28 Days Later all over again. :D
Nah, the virus from 28D is you so fast that if you got bitten you'd be lucky to get out three articulate curse words before being zombified, let alone walk home. It sound more like RE or DotD
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lisa began to convulse, almost like she was having a seizure. She was coughing horribly and quickly loosing bodily control. After a minute of this she collapsed on the floor. I knelt beside her and tried to assess her situation. I did not see her breathing nor did I feel a pulse.

“Oh god…” I just sat there for a minute. Lisa was dead, another person was dead. I paced around the apartment for another minute, then picked up my cell phone and again attempted to contact 911. To my surprise I got through. The dispatcher sounded like they were having a very bad day.

“I’ve called twice prior from Grandview place, well its gotten real bad. Your fireman got killed and my neighbor died as well. The place is going to hell real fast.”

The dispatcher then gave me the news that I didn’t want to hear. “Sorry buddy, but its not going to get any better. We don’t know what’s going on, but its bad. Stay in your apartment and damned sure don’t let anyone in unless your sure they are safe. The national guard has been activated and they are trying to form up, but we don’t know how long that will be. If you absolutely can’t hold tight, try and make your way a local school. We are trying to have the police secure those areas.”

About that time the surprise of my life hit me. I felt someone touch my shoulder.

I turned my head and saw Lisa staring at me, a very vacant look in her eyes. I was afraid I knew what was finally going on. I reacted quickly shoving her back and I reached for my gun. Then Lisa spoke. “Chris, what on earth is going on and why are you pointing your gun at me?”

Now I was confused. I watcher her die, she had no pulse, but… “Lisa, you convulsed, you had no pulse, I thought you were dead…”

“I don’t know what came over me, but I’m here, I’m alive aren’t I?”

Lisa got up off the floor and walked up to me wary of the pistol I still had pointed at her. Even still she had a vacant look to her eyes, like they were dead. She reached her hand towards me. “Look, feel my pulse if you want to be sure.”

I did just that, and I felt nothing. Lisa frowned and gestured for me to check her neck. I felt again, no pulse. I backed off keeping the gun leveled at her chest. She just stood there in a confused state for about a minute. It his us both at the same time, she wasn’t breathing when she wasn’t speaking.

“Wha, what is happening to-to me?” Lisa started sobbing again. “Am I dead?”

It just didn’t make any sense. The people who were going crazy all looked like they had been bitten, the firefighter had become one of them, but Lisa… I walked up to her carefully. She was starting to loose it and I have to admit my grip on reality was rather tenuous as well. She didn’t appear to be acting like the others even if she wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a beating heart.

I pointed to the couch and she nodded and went and sat down. I sat pulled up a folding chair and sat down 10 feet from her and just waited with my pistol in my lap. Two hours went by with my staring at Lisa and Lisa drifting in her thoughts. Two hours and nothing. She appeared normal, other then the fact that she was technically dead.

The creatures outside (I had decided they weren’t human anymore and it was time to stop thinking of them as such) apparently decided that my door was an item of interest. They started banging loudly and I could see the door frame didn’t want to take very much of this sort of abuse. If I didn’t act, things could get bad very quickly. I got up and went to the hallway closet (I had also decided that whatever had happened to Lisa, she apparently wasn’t a threat) and took out my shotgun.

Did I tell you about my shotgun? Remington 870 Defender, 12 gauge and an 18” barrel. Sweet shotgun, nice for just shooting at random targets, only cost me $289…

Anyway, I grabbed the shotgun and walked back into the living room. “Chris, are we in danger here?”

“Yes Lisa, that door can’t hold out very long. I hate to ask you this, but I need you to open the door when I say.” I walked up to the door and removed the chair blocking under the handle and also turned the deadbolt. The door handle lock wouldn’t hold long under the abuse outside. I stepped back 5 feet and readied the shotgun. Lisa quickly walked over. She grasped the handle and turned to me, I nodded. She turned the handle and quickly backed out of the way. The door slammed open by the weight of 3 creatures. My first shot caught one in the chest causing him to stumble. I backed up pumping the shotgun, fired another shot and caught one right in the gut sending it to the ground. The third one was too close to shoot, I clubbed at it with my shotgun and it grabbed on. I quickly through it in a circle sending that creature flying into the room behind me.

The first creature I shot was regaining its balance and wasn’t very happy with me. Whatever it was, it didn’t seem terribly interested in the rather ugly wound in its chest. I pulled out my pistol and put a round right through its head. The second creature was crawling on the floor growling at me, I put a round through its head as well. At about that time the third creature nearly jumped me, but Lisa tackled it and they both sprawled onto the ground. It tried to get up but Lisa was doing her best to pin it. Strangely the creature was mostly ignoring Lisa and just intent on getting up and after me, it wasn’t trying to bite her. I picked up a folding chair and told Lisa to get out of the way. When she moved I clubbed the creature in the side of the head. Once it was down I put another round in its head for good measure.

I heard more noise coming from down stairs. I grabbed my shotgun and pumped a new round in the chamber then loaded up 3 more into the magazine. Then I looked at Lisa, she wasn’t acting scared anymore, but she was concerned. “Can you shoot?”

Lisa nodded, I tossed my Glock-22 at her and a spare magazine. She pocketed the magazine and checked out the Glock. She seemed like she had fired a pistol before, I sure hope she knows what she’s doing.

I quickly exited my apartment door.

I live on the top floor of a 3 story apartment complex. Open stairwells without doors are on either end of the building, no elevator. Not very secure.

I heard the noises again. The creatures were coming up the stairs. The first one appeared at the mid level of the flight of stairs and I blew its head off. Then another appeared and it also went down. Then I heard my pistol fire and quickly turned. Creatures behind us. I turn and then gesture for Lisa to watch the stairs now behind us. She nods. I see 4 creatures running down the hall towards us. I put the first one down, the second is just knocked off its feet. The third gets it. The 4th is real close now and I blow its leg off. It crawls at me and I finish it. The 2nd creature is back on its feet, I fire. Empty, damn! I dig into my pockets for a spare shell. I fumble to get the shotgun loaded. Then I hear Lisa fire my pistol. I look up, the creature takes a hit to the chest and slows, it takes another and another. It still won’t quite stop, but Lisa bought me time. I get the shell into the magazine and pump a round in. This is just in time to see the creature just feet away from me. I raise the barrel and have just enough time to pull the trigger.

At such close range a shotgun is very deadly. I hit it in the upper torso. That would kill a normal human, but not this creature. It did however manage to break the spine. The creature just dropped like a bloody mess onto the ground. Its legs not working. Lisa shot the thing in the head putting it out of its misery.

One floor down, two to go.

DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Interesting read Aly...

I'm wondering how Lisa is Zombified, yet remains coherent and unaffected by whatever madness the others have.

I look forward to future chapters.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

DarkSilver wrote:I'm wondering how Lisa is Zombified, yet remains coherent and unaffected by whatever madness the others have.
So am I. I am going to play with this concept and see how some zombies of varrying degrees, maybe some with madness and inteligence.
I look forward to future chapters.
Thanks, I just hope I have enough personal interest to keep writing.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lisa and I quickly went back into my apartment and secured the door. On the way I noted that Rob’s body was partially digested. Fucking sick…

Lisa looked out the window and spotted about a dozen creatures outside. She turned back to me. “I don’t suppose you have any idea what’s going on?”

“About the moment I saw you back from the dead, I thought I knew what was going on, but you didn’t try and eat me.”

“Very funny Chris.”

“Yeah, I’m all laughs.” Lisa glared at me for that. I guess I deserved it, I shouldn’t be joking about her death like that. Even still, just looking at her face unnerved me with that vacant almost dead look to her eyes. “Look, I’m sorry, but this is all kinda unusual and unexpected if you know what I mean.”

Lisa just turned away and walked down the hall to the bathroom. While I was loading my shotgun I heard a gasp. She probably got her first glance at her face. I never did ask. I grabbed my work radio and turned it on. I couldn’t hear anyone transmitting on any of the stations. So the trains aren’t running now either?

A couple minutes later Lisa came out. I could see she had cried again. “I don’t suppose you have a gun in your apartment?”

Lisa shook her head. “Beretta 9mm, but I don’t have any ammo. Won’t do us much good.”

“Not right now anyway.”

“I don’t suppose you have a plan?”

“Well the way I figure it, we can secure our building without too much effort. The doors swing outward, so we need merely get something to help keep them closed incase they accidentally try and pull on them. Probably going to have to secure the ground level apartments and lock the doors so the creatures don’t come in through the windows. Wouldn’t hurt to knock on everyone’s door to check on them.”

“We might want to make sure the hallways are clear on all levels first, you know, wouldn’t want them sneaking up on us.”

A thought occurred to me. “Lisa, when you wrestled with that creature, it didn’t try and attack you at all.” Lisa was taken back by the thought, then she nodded. “Why don’t you take the pistol and clear the lower two floors while I knock on doors upstairs? Then you can start knocking on doors too.”

“Alright, but if you hear me scream, that means I’m running back upstairs and you better be ready with that cannon of yours.” And with that Lisa took my pistol and made her way downstairs. Almost immediately I heard a shot. Then she came halfway back up. “Didn’t even react to my presence, I think we might have something to work with here.” Lisa went back downstairs.

I took my shotgun and immediately started banging on doors. Only 3 of them answered and it was by scared shitless people. I told them to keep themselves secure for now and make sure if they open the door the person doesn’t look crazy. With that I went to the first door that didn’t respond and shot the deadbolt. Inside I found absolutely nothing of interest. On the second room I heard something banging against the door. “Unlock the door!” I shouted. Still heard banging. “Get back, I am going to shoot the door!”. Still no stop in the banging.

I raised my shotgun and blew away the deadbolt. I kicked in the door and heard it thump against something and slam open. Immediately in front of me was a creature missing an arm. It tried to get back up but failed when I blew its brains out.

Two more apartments had creatures in them and I dispatched them with out incident. By the time I finished inspecting the last apartment Lisa was back upstairs.

“I got 18 people on the 2nd floor in 9 apartments. The other 3 didn’t answer. No answers on any of the ground floor apartments. Found 3 creatures in the laundry room, they didn’t even act as if they noticed me. Didn’t even react when I started shooting them.”

I walked into apartment #32 and grabbed a large amount of mountain climbing rope. “I think we can secure those doors.” Lisa and I went downstairs. We tied the rope to the door handles then secured it to the railing. Made it nice and tight to the point where pushing as hard as we could against the door didn’t budge it. By the time we had secured both sets of doors one of the 2nd floor tenants had come to join up and help us. He had a little .38 revolver, said he was a good shot.

“Ok Tony, we could use your help. Were going to check out all the ground floor apartments.”

Tony shook his head. “Bad idea. Your going to blow down the door like you did upstairs, right?” I nodded. “How do you plan on getting those doors locked again?” I just stood there with a stupid look on my face. “I thought so. Chris, were going to have to leave these rooms alone. Maybe take some of that rope and cross tie the door handles on either side of the hallway to make sure they can’t open them in the off chance the doors are unlocked.” Lisa and Tony immediately got to work securing the 8 ground floor apartments.

I went back upstairs and knocked down the three remaining doors on the 2nd level. Found one more creature and two empty apartments.

In the next hour I got several people to help me dispose of the bodies by throwing them out the windows. We got organized and moved everyone up to the 3rd floor just for safety. One guy was a bit of a wizard with locks and took apart enough 2nd floor deadbolts from now vacant rooms and used them to give us working locked on the 3rd floor. We found several of the people knew how to shoot along with several shotguns, rifles, and pistols. Made sure each apartment had at least one armed person with them.

By nightfall we were all pretty tired. Lisa had given up her apartment to one of the 2nd floor families and elected to stay in mine. I tossed something in the microwave to get something to eat. Lisa commented she was starving, but that what I was cooking just didn’t sound any good. I told her to feel free to raid the fridge. Half way through my soup I look up and see Lisa eating raw hamburger meat and licking up the blood. I almost vomited.

“Sorry, but for some reason this is all that felt good to eat.”

Since I was no longer hungry I decided to call it a night. I offered my bedroom to Lisa and I would take the couch, but strangely she wasn’t tired. Not at all. We both found that more then a little odd. I shrugged and took the Glock leaving her my shotgun and her Beretta (one of the tenants was nice enough to give her a box of 50 rounds). Lisa was going to more or less stand watch while I slept. She turned on the TV but kept the volume down and started listening to the news channels report what was going on. Seems this was happening in several locations all over the country. I had hoped tomorrow would be a better day.

SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

I haven't actually read it, but beginning is spelled wrong in the thread title. Not exactly a good omen.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

SeebianWurm wrote:I haven't actually read it, but beginning is spelled wrong in the thread title. Not exactly a good omen.
I suggest reading it, a minor misspelling which he can correct with a edit isn't a sign of bad writing (then again, look at my few attempts, apparently thier pretty bad even with fixed spelling)

Aly's story is pretty good, told first person limited (narrative is a nice choice for this, kinda reminds me a bit of Max Payne without the bullshit).

Good work on the new chapter, I do hope you can keep personal interest in this one, I like it.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sleep was hard in coming. The sound of periodic gunfire penetrated the night occasionally disrupting the low murmur that the freaks outside the building were causing. I was half expecting Lisa to come wake me half way through the night so she could get some shut eye, but she never came. Eventually I just passed out from exhaustion.

Come morning I awake to the sound of an explosion. That didn’t sound good. I get up and throw on some clothes. I see Lisa sitting in front of the TV still watching the news. “You catch some sleep last night and decide not to wake me?”

A look of concern came over her lifeless face. “Actually, I never felt tired. I’ve been wide awake the whole time.” I say she had a garbage can next to the couch and I counted 4 hamburger meat wrappers. Not a drop of blood on them.

“I see you got hungry last night.” Lisa just stared at the floor. I was getting more then a little concerned for her. Though she was doing remarkably well for being dead. “Look. Just keep an eye out. I’m gonna get showered and dressed.”

The hot water felt good. I needed the wakeup, the familiar feeling. Took my time in there just relaxing and thinking about what was going on. Whatever had happened to all those creatures out there, whatever had changed them from humans had also happened to Lisa, though the process didn’t complete itself. She was apparently dead like them, she felt a hunger, but she acted intelligent, not some basic human instinct. Is it possible others have only partially transformed? Is it possible some retain their intelligence but also want to kill? Such pleasant thoughts for so early in the morning. I finished up and got dressed.

“So whats new in the world this morning?” Lisa filled me in on whats been going on. This event has apparently cropped up in several places around the US. Enough to disrupt life, but not significantly. Say 50 sites across the country. New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle all got hit pretty badly. There are fears that the creatures will spread throughout the east coast if New York isn’t contained. Several outbreaks across the world. Enough that people have instituted quarantine, but no real drastic steps. Except for China. When they heard that Hong Kong was in serious trouble China launched a nuclear attack completely leveling the city with 15 nuclear warheads dropped over a period of 10 hours. This was sufficient to wake up the rest of the world to what was going on. US State Department told China to be careful lest things spiral out of control. No response yet.

“How about just WHAT they are?”

“CDC says they are dead more or less. Heart stopped working, not breathing except when they scream, etc. Only way to kill them is damage to the head. Being bitten seems to be the mode of infection. Oh, and there are currently 8 other known cases like me so far.”

“Really? So what about that?”

“Well all 8 cases have been taken by the US government and reports indicate they all got studied, and, well, violated. Someone leaked a video of them doing an “autopsy” on one of them while he was still awake. He screamed in pain as they removed his organs.” Lisa looked more then a little frightened at this point. “In all cases a hunger still persists, but rational thought and self control exists. So I guess I should be ok. Oh, one more thing. Since I am dead, well it seems that my body will deteriorate like a dead body but at a much reduced rate. However, if I keep eating meat, the fresher the better, this will slow down, stop, and potentially reverse the effects of deterioration.”

“So that’s why you had a midnight snack” I said grinning at her. She just looked at me sheepishly. Just then I noticed she had taken the bandage off her arm. The wound actually looked like it had partially healed. I also noted a semblance of color returning to her skin. Though her eyes still looked so very hollow. “It seems your snack did you some good.” I said pointing to her wound.

Lisa nodded. “That was the other thing, if these creatures get a chance to eat meat, they can regenerate some of their wounds. When I heard that at about 2am last night I raided your fridge and wolfed down all your hamburger. Thought it wouldn’t hurt to try.” Then she rubbed her belly. “But you know what? Since about noon yesterday I’ve been feeling hungry non-stop. And while my wound has healed to a degree, my skin color has actually faded somewhat in the last 2 hours.” Lisa looked away. “I’m scared Chris, I don’t want to turn into one of them.”

I had never gotten to know any of my neighbors other then to say hello. Right now I was beginning to regret it. I knew very little about Lisa. She lives in apartment #37, her former boyfriends name is Rob, and she has a pistol. All I know about her I learned yesterday. It was obvious she wasn’t in the strongest of mental states, though I couldn’t blame her for that. Being dead had to be more then a little unnerving. I sat down next to her. “Lisa, whatever happened to you, you fought it. Look at them, and look at you. Your going to be all right.” I sure as hell didn’t know that and it was obvious Lisa knew as well, but just saying that and letting her know I cared was enough to get the point across that all hope was not lost. She leaned over and hugged me, she needed a human touch after having been through so much. Lisa began to cry, then sob.

“I am so scared. They killed Rob. I’ve been changed and I fear what will happen.” She went silent and just sat their comforted by my presence and held on tight for something familiar with reality. Eventually the tears subsided. I disengaged myself. Lisa looked slightly embarrassed. “I don’t usually cry so much.”

I smiled. “I can’t really blame you. And you are doing remarkably in my opinion for a dead person.”

Lisa mockingly glared at me for the joke. “You know what I mean. This is a little more then what I’m used to, loosing my boyfriend and being changed all at once. I’ll be better now, I promise.”

“You say so. Anyway I’m going to go check on everyone else.”

“Don’t bother, I stopped by each room an hour ago. Their all doing pretty good. Though that Richard in #34 looked at me a little oddly this morning. He might suspect something about me.”

I was about to respond when the sound of an approaching siren broke the conversation. I dashed to the bedroom window, Lisa wasn’t far behind. We looked outside and saw a police car with a number of creatures chasing it up the hill towards our apartment building. It was obvious they were headed for us. “Crap, we gotta get that door open for them.” Lisa and I quickly made it out of there. I ran up to the first two apartments and yanked out two people with guns. One had a shotgun, the other had a rifle. “Look, there are two cops out there and we are going to let them in. You cover us from the stairwell window.”

Lisa and I quickly got to the door and looked out through the slit windows. We could see the approaching cop car circling around and drawing the creatures from the door. It spun back around and plowed through the crowd. Lisa pulled on the quick release of the climbing rope and it fell loose. The two cops exited their car both with shotguns and duffle bags. I through the door open. At about the same time I heard shots from the upper level and saw two creatures go down. I aimed my shotgun at one creature and blew it away. Both cops also fired several shots while backing up towards the building. When both were inside Lisa slammed the door shut, or tried too. One creature put its arm through. I kicked the door open slamming it to the side. One cop fired a round blowing its head apart. I grabbed the door and swung it shut again just in time. In another minute Lisa had the rope reattached to the door and I disengaged from holding the door.

I turned towards the cops. “Welcome to the party, we are sure glad to get some help.”

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Nice. I always like a good zombie story.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

If there's any place for honest criticism, well here it is.

All the people in the apartment seem too "trained," if you can get my gist. No one's freaking out, or even asking questions rapid-fire. What's going on? What should we do? Should we call for help? Are they going to come and help us out?

Just wanted to point it out. As of now, it seems too much like everyone in that apartment's a former Marine or something.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Duken
Youngling

Post by Duken »

Shinova wrote:<snip>
Everybody but the guys with guns could be freaking out and we wouldn't know unless Alyeska saw/heard it. I would certainly not give loaded firearms to people who were freaking out.

But from the glimpses of the others we have see so far, I do agree with you.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Aren't you worried some of your real apartment neighbors might get wind of this little.."fantasy" of yours Alyeska? :wink:
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I sure was glad that we had some help with us. The two cops seemed reasonably alert as to what was going on. But before I could ask them anything one of them turned to thank Lisa. He immediately recognized the look in Lisa’s eyes for what that meant, only he got it wrong. The cop quickly threw Lisa to the ground and was about to shoot her in the head when he was stopped by her scream of fear.

“What the fuck is going on here? Don’t you know what she is?!?!” The cop asked incredulously. He couldn’t understand why Lisa wasn’t attacking him and just crouched on the ground with an obvious look of fear on her.

I got the cop to look my way. “Its complicated. Lisa is one of us and lets just leave it at that for now.”

The cop looked back at Lisa. “That’s not entirely satisfactory.” He reached down and helped her up, but was also checking for a pulse on her wrist. “She really is one of them you know?”

Lisa glared at the cop now. “I know damned well what I am, get your hands off of me you creep.” She threw his arm away and stormed up stairs.

The cop and his partner both turned to look at me. “She is a liability and would be best gotten rid of. You have more then 20 survivors in here and she isn’t worth the risk. We will be keeping an eye on her.”

This was just getting out of hand. “You touch her again like that and I will kill you.” So I decided to make it worse. One of the cops started to pull out his pistol but stopped when I had my shotgun drawn on both of them. “You might be cops, but when you make threats to kill an innocent person, that makes you conspirators to commit murder. Leave Lisa alone.” With that I backed away from them and headed back up stairs. I found Lisa in my apartment and she was a mess.

“They’re right you know. I am a risk.”

“Nonsense. You’ve already proven what you are several times in the last 24 hours.”

“You don’t understand. My hunger. And I haven’t told you about the urges. I’ve been feeling them since the moment I re-awoke after I changed. It wasn’t until early morning that I could really figure out what they were. I can sense violent urges within me and a need for fresh meat, fresh human meat. A very primitive sense.” Lisa turned to look at me, and she literally looked like death somehow. “I think those urges are growing.”