More on the SW TV show (Lucas + McCallum)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

More on the SW TV show (Lucas + McCallum)

Post by Vympel »

From Today's Daily Telegraph (Aus)

Shooting in Australia. In between Episodes III and IV. Minor, not key, characters, etc.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

You do realize which part of that article certain people here will be focusing on, right? :P
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

What, the Death Star taking 20 years to build? It was always obvious to me ever since I first heard about it as a legitimate plot point. I just don't get why anyone cares.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Re: More on the SW TV show (Lucas + McCallum)

Post by Lord Poe »

Vympel wrote:From Today's Daily Telegraph (Aus)

Shooting in Australia. In between Episodes III and IV. Minor, not key, characters, etc.
I can't recall exactly where I read it, (sw.com?) but Lucas at first said no key charcters, then corrected himself, saying that wasn't entirely true. I assume he was thinking of Vader. For the TV show, ANYONE could be Vader.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It was always obvious to me ever since I first heard about it as a legitimate plot point. I just don't get why anyone cares.
Me neither. It makes perfect sense that the first would take longer to build due to the political climate and the needs of the growing Imperial fleet.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

"The Death Star takes 20 years to build so we need to work that out."
Man, those are some lazy construction workers. :D
The intention was to produce 100 hour-long episodes -- that being the number necessary to sell the series into lucrative television syndication.
So roughly five seasons of 20 episodes each?
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Seems like it, with the entire season 1 written before shooting and filmed all at once.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
They need some contract workers. 8)
The intention was to produce 100 hour-long episodes -- that being the number necessary to sell the series into lucrative television syndication.
Or possibly four seasons of 25 episodes. Some seasons are 22 episodes in length, others 26 episodes. I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule on season episode quantity though.

But it does look like they want this thing for the long haul.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
Sheesh, unions these days... :roll:

:P

Hey, speaking of Death Star, VT, you think you could ask one of those morons who have seen RotS already how far along the DS is in the movie?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I think someone said you can´t really see it cus it´s in the background, I guess it means just an overall skeletal frame or something, if it´s more or less progressed than in that piece of concept art, I don´t know. Frankly, I already have plenty of good reasons that justify the long construction time, so for me this is a non-issue. *

*It could also be explained as a prototype. Heh, if any measurements come up with it being different from both the DS and DS II, you´d have a really interesting case. :wink:
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Vympel wrote:What, the Death Star taking 20 years to build?
And yet they can build the bigger, better DS2 in about 9 months in total secrecy.

Either that or they noticed the design flaws in the DS1 and started building the DS2 3 years into DS1 construction.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

2000AD wrote: Either that or they noticed the design flaws in the DS1 and started building the DS2 3 years into DS1 construction.
Yet continue building the first 'flawed' but still massive battlestation despite being only ~1/7th complete. Our tax credits at work! Figures that the Empire didn't actually change the inefficiency or beauracratic corruption. :P :mrgreen:
By His Word...
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

And yet they can build the bigger, better DS2 in about 9 months in total secrecy.
Amazing what totalitarian rule can do to the allocation of funds. 8)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

VT-16 wrote:
Amazing what totalitarian rule can do to the allocation of funds. 8)
Bet you that Palps took it out of the orphanage funds too ... bastard! :twisted:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

2000AD wrote: And yet they can build the bigger, better DS2 in about 9 months in total secrecy.

Either that or they noticed the design flaws in the DS1 and started building the DS2 3 years into DS1 construction.
The Senate was dead. So maybe nothing was stopping Palpy to get the budget he needed?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Couldn't the intention have always been for the Death Star to serve as something of a smokescreen for the real Death Star?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Archaic` wrote:Couldn't the intention have always been for the Death Star to serve as something of a smokescreen for the real Death Star?
Why a smokescreen? Maybe it's just the prototype?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I don't see how something that was built in secret could be a smokescreen for something else that was also built in secret.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Don't forget people, at the end of the day, it IS just a simple movie
<_<
>_>
*flees*
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

With planet-destroying battle stations that are built quicker and bigger every time. 8)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

VT-16 wrote:
With planet-destroying battle stations that are built quicker and bigger every time. 8)
Maybe once they finished the first one, they finally had the construction down pat and could crank out a new one. Hybrid cars took forever, yet they're much more common now.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Any number of factors could have been in play to make the DSI take so much longer than the DSII. There's the fact that at the same time the DSI was under construction, the Imperial Navy was also being built, Clone War reconstruction would have been in progress AND Palpatine would have had to make sure that the standard of living for the average citizen didn't suffer while the New Order was a new and fragile thing. Then there's the fact that the Senate still existed and as late as the eve of the Battle of Yavin, it was a formidable enough body for Leia to think she could threaten Vader with it and General Tagge to be worried about them. Keeping a project like the DSII secret from the public in a police state is a much simpler matter than keeping DSI secret from the body that still had de jure control of the purse strings. Then there's the simple fact that they were figuring out this thing as they went along--everything they learned from building the DSI, as well as all the specialized infrastructure designed for it, could have been applied to the DSII.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Mark S
The Quiet One

Re: More on the SW TV show (Lucas + McCallum)

Post by Mark S »

Vympel wrote:From Today's Daily Telegraph (Aus)

Damn. I was hoping it would be filmed in Vancouver.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Freeman's Trigger-Finger
Youngling

Post by Freeman's Trigger-Finger »

Possible scenario:

The DS1 is under construction respectively, and some ways into it' being built, the flaws of the station are realized and the construction of the DSII is initiated accordingly, as the improved and finalised version. Instead of ridding themselves of the DS1, the Empire decide to continue construction of it as a smokescreen carrier to the true weapon, the DSII.

Also, even if the DS1 was inferior and flawed, it still had planet destructive capabilites and was a severe threat to Imperial opposition, much to the Rebels detriment. There would be no logic in abandoning it due to only partial flaws.
They told me there was nothing out there, nothing but fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something, and I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows, and there is something out there in the darkness...something terrifying, something that will not stop until it has revenge. Me -- Batman, Batman Begins
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

That completely contradicts.