'Goblet of Fire' movie stills! (Pic heavy, dur)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Though in all fairness to whoever plays Fleur, I have no idea whom to pick or whatever CGI magick to do to her to create that all-encompassing Veela attraction. As witnessed countless times in threads on this board, every time people bring up a female and go 'Boy she's hot!!!' there's inevitably somebody going 'Meh. She doesn't do it for me' (and I'm not talking about our gay population).
Finding someone appealing to every straight male (or at least every one under a certain age) was a losing proposition from the word go.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Crown wrote:
Zaia wrote:I think it's got a bit more to it than that. We get Ron's quick, crooked smile in reaction to Hermione's gorgeousness at the ball. That's all I need to make it a great teaser trailer. :D
Sorry babe, Ron isn't smiling at Hermione, he's in the dorm rooms, and if they keep the scene consistant in the movie, they don't see Hermione until the actual ball. :wink:
The Chamber of Secrets was on TV last night, and during some of the commercial breaks they showed clips of the movie, including a scene during the dance when Hermione says something to Harry, Ron and Ron's date (who's sort of in a snit), asking them if they want Viktor and her to get them drinks, and Ron leans past Harry to say no with a jealous air. They had the actors (Emma Watson and Rupert Grint) talking about how Ron and Hermione's relationship changes in Goblet of Fire, and during the actors' comments, they showed a bit more of that clip of Ron's crooked smile, and--it could've just been the sequence of the clips they showed--it really seemed like it was in response to Hermione's dress.

So, it could've just be pieced together to suggest that he was looking at her ball gown, or maybe that really is when he sees it first in the movie, when they're in the dorms, but either way I think it's one of the first time Ron lets his attraction for Hermione show, and that's what I love. Can't say I particularly care when he looks at her like that, I just know I love it when he does.

Good lord I'm a sap. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Batman wrote:Though in all fairness to whoever plays Fleur, I have no idea whom to pick or whatever CGI magick to do to her to create that all-encompassing Veela attraction. As witnessed countless times in threads on this board, every time people bring up a female and go 'Boy she's hot!!!' there's inevitably somebody going 'Meh. She doesn't do it for me' (and I'm not talking about our gay population).
Finding someone appealing to every straight male (or at least every one under a certain age) was a losing proposition from the word go.
Not to mention they have to find someone who is very beautiful and also very young. There are plenty of more attractive females in showbiz that I can think of, but most of them are years older than the girl who plays Fleur. I can't imagine it's easy to find a 16-year-old who is Helen-of-Troy gorgeous, who can also (hopefully) act. She'll have to sound like a native of France, won't she?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Is it just me or the actress the same who play wise-ass female cadet in SG1
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

*urge to continue fan fic rises*
The film and then the book... I am afraid that I will be in near constant HP-fever for the time being...
Though I still demand Draco pics to be released :)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Lord Revan wrote:Is it just me or the actress the same who play wise-ass female cadet in SG1
She might just look a tad like her.
The actress playing Fleur is definitely french: Clémence Poésy.
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dahak wrote:*urge to continue fan fic rises*
The film and then the book... I am afraid that I will be in near constant HP-fever for the time being...
Draco
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Dahak wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Is it just me or the actress the same who play wise-ass female cadet in SG1
...and is apparently a lot older than she looks
:shock:
This does, however, open up some interesting possibilities.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Zaia wrote:
Dahak wrote:*urge to continue fan fic rises*
Draco
All praise She Who Is Zaia! 8)

Methinks I have a new wallpaper... :)
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

While looking for other pics of Draco, I came across another video. A behind the scenes type of deal. Link! :D
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Zaia wrote:While looking for other pics of Draco, I came across another video. A behind the scenes type of deal. Link! :D
Kewl!
The Durmstrang entrance was rather...interesting.
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Batman wrote:Though in all fairness to whoever plays Fleur, I have no idea whom to pick or whatever CGI magick to do to her to create that all-encompassing Veela attraction.
One thing that would've been cool is if they showed her in several different appearances for each male character who was looking at her, with each guy's vision of her being represented by a different gorgeous babe. That way, it would be clear that she doesn't really have a static appearance but instead appears as people want her to be (that's kind of how the Veela in the book are described, too). I would call it the "anti-boggart effect." They could've then defaulted to Harry or Ron's vision of her for the rest of the film with the actual actress while also making it clear that different people had different views of her. Of course, her appearance in the trailer doesn't rule out them doing something like that, but IMO it would be an excellent way to show the whole Veela thing on screen.
As witnessed countless times in threads on this board, every time people bring up a female and go 'Boy she's hot!!!' there's inevitably somebody going 'Meh. She doesn't do it for me' (and I'm not talking about our gay population).
Again, that's true, but do you know of anyone who goes "Wow! She'd make me want to jump out of a fifth-story window as soon as I met her just to make her happy" when they first see her? It's not even that she isn't drop-dead gorgeous for me, it's that she simply isn't hot enough to get ANYONE in on her.

For instance, take a look at Valeria Mazza. Even if you don't think she's the hottest thing that's ever walked the Earth, you can see how a reasonable person would believe that about her. The same is true of people like Natalie Portman, Carmen Electra, and Yvette Mimieux (back in the day). Even though I don't think that all of those girls are smoking hot, I can see how someone ELSE would think that they were.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Batman wrote:Though in all fairness to whoever plays Fleur, I have no idea whom to pick or whatever CGI magick to do to her to create that all-encompassing Veela attraction.
That way, it would be clear that she doesn't really have a static appearance but instead appears as people want her to be (that's kind of how the Veela in the book are described, too).
I admit that it's been a while since I read GOF but that was not how the Veela were described in the book. But by all means feel free to prove me wrong by posting quotes.
Again, that's true, but do you know of anyone who goes "Wow! She'd make me want to jump out of a fifth-story window as soon as I met her just to make her happy" when they first see her? It's not even that she isn't drop-dead gorgeous for me, it's that she simply isn't hot enough to get ANYONE in on her.
You have no doubt polled a significant percentage of the population to come up with that result.
Valen, even I think she's cute. She's just not Veela.
For instance, take a look at Valeria Mazza. Even if you don't think she's the hottest thing that's ever walked the Earth, you can see how a reasonable person would believe that about her.
Erm no I can't what with her being rather heavily on the skinny side, at least from that picture.
The same is true of people like Natalie Portman, Carmen Electra, and Yvette Mimieux (back in the day). Even though I don't think that all of those girls are smoking hot, I can see how someone ELSE would think that they were.
And I know at least one someone who doesn't.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Batman wrote:I admit that it's been a while since I read GOF but that was not how the Veela were described in the book. But by all means feel free to prove me wrong by posting quotes.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire pp. 111-112 wrote:At this, the veela lost control. Instead of dancing, they launched themselves across the field and began throwing what seemed to be handfuls of fire at the leprechauns. Watching through his Omnioculars, Harry saw that they ddn't look remotely beautiful now. On the contrary, their faces were elongating into sharp, cruel-beaked bird heads and long, scaly wings were bursting from their shoulders--
'And that, boys,; yelled Mr. Weasley over the tumult of the crowd below, 'is why you should never go for looks alone!'
In other words, their appearances are transient and they aren't ACTUALLY beautiful. Also notice that Hermione was immune to their charms, hence only people who can be attracted to women (or, maybe, only men) are vulnerable to their charms.
You have no doubt polled a significant percentage of the population to come up with that result.
Since I can recognize people that OTHERS may find to be gorgeous there is no need to poll anyone.
Erm no I can't what with her being rather heavily on the skinny side, at least from that picture.
And now with the strawman. "She's skinny, so I don't like her"/="I don't see how anyone could like her.
Which does absolutely nothing to disprove my argument, which only relies on the fact that there are people whom others can recognize as being attractive even if the particular individual does not personally consider them to be hot. This is how heterosexuals recognize people of the same sex as being attractive. The best example in my experience is Katherine Heigl. Even though she is definitively not my type, as soon as I saw her on television I recognized instantly that other people would think she was stunning. My intuition was confirmed a few weeks later, when I overheard two guys I know discussing how hot she was.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Batman wrote:I admit that it's been a while since I read GOF but that was not how the Veela were described in the book. But by all means feel free to prove me wrong by posting quotes.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire pp. 111-112 wrote:At this, the veela lost control. Instead of dancing, they launched themselves across the field and began throwing what seemed to be handfuls of fire at the leprechauns. Watching through his Omnioculars, Harry saw that they ddn't look remotely beautiful now. On the contrary, their faces were elongating into sharp, cruel-beaked bird heads and long, scaly wings were bursting from their shoulders--
'And that, boys,; yelled Mr. Weasley over the tumult of the crowd below, 'is why you should never go for looks alone!'
In other words, their appearances are transient and they aren't ACTUALLY beautiful.
Thanks for the quote, beside the point as it is. Your original claim was
but instead appears as people want her to be (that's kind of how the Veela in the book are described, too).
and I fail to see anything supporting that in your quote.
Also notice that Hermione was immune to their charms, hence only people who can be attracted to women (or, maybe, only men) are vulnerable to their charms.
And I doubted that where?
Since I can recognize people that OTHERS may find to be gorgeous there is no need to poll anyone.
The operative word here is may. As opposed to will.
And now with the strawman. "She's skinny, so I don't like her"/="I don't see how anyone could like her.[/i]
Bzzt. Wrong. This is about finding someone that everybody would like.
Which does absolutely nothing to disprove my argument.
Indeed it doesn't. As your argument is also completely pointless, well...
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Master of Ossus wrote:In other words, their appearances are transient and they aren't ACTUALLY beautiful. Also notice that Hermione was immune to their charms, hence only people who can be attracted to women (or, maybe, only men) are vulnerable to their charms.
I think your idea is a cool one about the veela changing to different kinds of hotness to demonstrate different people's perspectives, but I don't think that the quote you presented really supports that.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Batman wrote: Thanks for the quote, beside the point as it is. Your original claim was
but instead appears as people want her to be (that's kind of how the Veela in the book are described, too).
and I fail to see anything supporting that in your quote.
All that I needed was to show that the Veela have changing appearances, since I'm just arguing that it would be a reasonable way to show the Veela in a film (appearing as what you want them to be, rather than their actual appearance).
And I doubted that where?
That wasn't in response to any of your particular points, but further validates my method of depicting the Veela in the movie.
The operative word here is may. As opposed to will.
Oh, for fuck's sake, are you simply not capable of identifying people OTHERS would find to be attractive?
Bzzt. Wrong. This is about finding someone that everybody would like.
My interpretation of the Veela doesn't require that at all. Since it implies that a Veela's appearance is unique to the person viewing them, it simply requires someone that is sufficiently beautiful so that it would be believable for ANOTHER PERSON (ie. the character viewing the Veela) to think that they were stunningly gorgeous.
Indeed it doesn't. As your argument is also completely pointless, well...
I have shown that my method of depicting Veela is reasonable within the context of the book, and would be effective in depicting the Veela's charms on film. Even if a member of the audience didn't think that the actress on-screen was hot, they would be able to understand that the character in question did find her to be gorgeous and it would work within suspension of disbelief. Since the appearance of a Veela can change, it seems reasonable to extend that to the method of presentation I proposed.

Edit: Fixed typo for clarity.
Last edited by Master of Ossus on 2005-05-08 08:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Zaia wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:In other words, their appearances are transient and they aren't ACTUALLY beautiful. Also notice that Hermione was immune to their charms, hence only people who can be attracted to women (or, maybe, only men) are vulnerable to their charms.
I think your idea is a cool one about the veela changing to different kinds of hotness to demonstrate different people's perspectives, but I don't think that the quote you presented really supports that.
Hmmm... well, here's what we know about the appearances of Veela:

1. Their appearances are somehow magical, and are capable of enchanting men into falling in love with them immediately.

2. Their appearances are not fixed, but change in different situations.

It is not possible to make a film that magically enchants all viewers into thinking that someone is gorgeous and falling in love with them. It is possible to demonstrate the effects of such a magical creature, and their charms on film, using the method that I have proposed. I agree that the book does not precisely describe a Veela as looking different to various beholders, but the method I proposed of depicting them would effectively let the audience understand what was going on within the characters' minds.

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Master of Ossus wrote:Hmmm... well, here's what we know about the appearances of Veela:

1. Their appearances are somehow magical, and are capable of enchanting men into falling in love with them immediately.

2. Their appearances are not fixed, but change in different situations.

It is not possible to make a film that magically enchants all viewers into thinking that someone is gorgeous and falling in love with them. It is possible to demonstrate the effects of such a magical creature, and their charms on film, using the method that I have proposed. I agree that the book does not precisely describe a Veela as looking different to various beholders, but the method I proposed of depicting them would effectively let the audience understand what was going on within the characters' minds.
Or the guys could all simply act like they're completely smitten by her.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I give up. I still can't see the cuteness/beauty in Katie Leung/Cho Chang.
Just hope she looks better in the movie.

Everyone else looks good. Cedric looks a bit too cool, at least for my image of him.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Zaia wrote:Or the guys could all simply act like they're completely smitten by her.
Ah, but my idea allows for more boobage. :wink:

In all seriousness, though, it's always better to actually show the audience something interesting than just to have the characters react to it. It's tough with emotions like love, but when you have an opportunity like this there's no reason to pass it up.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Batman wrote:
Dahak wrote:
...and is apparently a lot older than she looks
:shock:
This does, however, open up some interesting possibilities.
IIRC, Fleur is supposed to be older ... around 17 or 18 [Krum certainly is 18].
Last edited by Crown on 2005-05-09 04:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Master of Ossus wrote:Again, that's true, but do you know of anyone who goes "Wow! She'd make me want to jump out of a fifth-story window as soon as I met her just to make her happy" when they first see her? It's not even that she isn't drop-dead gorgeous for me, it's that she simply isn't hot enough to get ANYONE in on her.
To be fair, she's only 1/4 Veela, and she appears to have the power to make 15 year old boys (hormones raging boys we should emphasise), shout out outrageous claims about themselves. It was the Veela in the stadium that nearly made Harry jump off the top box, and there were dozens of them.

Personally I don't see everyone's problem with her, she isn't ugly, pretty attractive, and I can see how she would capture 15 year old boys attention.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Crown wrote:To be fair, she's only 1/4 Veela...
Damn, you beat me to it! Last night I was rereading some of my favourite GoF bits before starting the whole series over again in preparation of the next book, and I came across that she's only part Veela. Foiled again! Ah well. :D

And I found a nice off-set photo of Emma Watson, but the teacher in me won't let me post it. You dirty old men would like it, though, I'll bet. :P
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I am not dirty, nor old! :wink: