...wants more indie artists on radio, less Celine

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

...wants more indie artists on radio, less Celine

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I don't think this has been posted yet and if it's in the wrong place feel free to move it ;)
The Canadian Press wrote: Group seeks Cancon reform; wants more indie artists on radio, less Celine
05/05/2005 9:52:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (CP) - A group of indie musicians is pushing to reform Canadian content rules in the hope that lesser-known outfits like Arcade Fire and the Trews will get more radio play.

"Frankly, Avril Lavigne doesn't need government legislation to receive radio airplay in Canada," begins the CanCon Pro petition, launched earlier this week at www.letsfixcancon.ca.

The group is asking the CRTC to create an incentive-based system to measure Canadian radio content.

"We've created a lot of stars here . . . the problem is Canadian radio, to fill their Cancon quotas, are only playing the international stars," says Gregg Terrence, who is spearheading the campaign. He's the president of Indie Pool, a Toronto-based independent distributor of CDs by unsigned artists.

"There's absolutely no reason to take any chance on someone new. There's no reason to play a new Kathleen Edwards or Ron Sexsmith song because you could play the new Sarah McLachlan song."

By midday Thursday, more than 1,500 signatures had been added to the online petition.

Most seemed to come from struggling musicians.

"Thank you for taking a stand and trying to improve the conditions for ALL artists trying to either attain or maintain any type of radio recognition," wrote Tracy Millar, of New Sarepta, Alta.

"I have been a professional musician in Thunder Bay for 20 years. The only time my original material has been played is when I have won some sort of contest, and even then it was sporadic and didn't last long," wrote David Miskimins.

"Local programmers/DJs have told me that the chances of any original independent releases getting a spin are 'less than slim and none, regardless of format or how good the material is.' All other local artists have the same problem. We are getting spins in Europe and Down Under, but not in our own backyard!"

Under the proposed changes, Cancon credits would be divided into four categories: international, established, national and developing artists. Each grouping would be worth between 0.75 and 1.50 credits.

For example, superstars like Celine Dion, Nickelback and Shania Twain would only be worth 0.75 while a song by a more obscure artist like Vancouver-based singer Jeremy Fisher song would earn 1.25.

Artists would jump to a different category if they received a pre-determined number of radio spins.

The proposal has generated a lot of chatter among the music industry, said Terrence.

Glenn O'Farrell, president of the Ottawa-based Canadian Association of Broadcasters, which represents the radio stations, says his organization will review the group's suggestion.

"It's an idea that's well worth debating," he said.

"It all depends on the application of the specifics . . . from a broad-stroke perspective, yes, point systems have proven to be of value. We need to examine it more carefully."

Started in 1971, Cancon forced radio stations to include 30 per cent made-in-Canada tunes in their playlists.

The level was bumped up to 35 per cent in 1999, the last time Canadian content regulations were modified.

Another review of the commercial radio policy is planned for later this year.

I think this is an awesome idea, I'm sick of hearing the same songs over and over again and it would be nice to give those new artists a chance. What does everyone else think? Besides I hate Celine Dion :o
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

there's always internet radio if all else fails. they tend to play a much larger variety of artists than any standard radio station will.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Darth_Zod wrote:there's always internet radio if all else fails. they tend to play a much larger variety of artists than any standard radio station will.
While I love internet radio and its nearly always on at home, I must note, you still can't get Internet raido in your car or on long road trips(Less some Frankstien car with Wi-Fi internet and a route with hotspots all along the way)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Mr Bean wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:there's always internet radio if all else fails. they tend to play a much larger variety of artists than any standard radio station will.
While I love internet radio and its nearly always on at home, I must note, you still can't get Internet raido in your car or on long road trips(Less some Frankstien car with Wi-Fi internet and a route with hotspots all along the way)
hence, if all else fails. ;)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

yeah internet radio can only take you so far and you can't listen to it in the bathroom, backyard, car, etc... If I want to listen to music, I want to listen to music, not sit at my computer desk all day :P

EDIT: for spelling
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

That's why God made iPods and minidisc players. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Isn't it ironic that the very same laws designed to give Canadian artists more exposure in their own homeland have had the opposite effect? I guess you really can't legislate people's tastes any more than you can legislate moral behavior.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It's about time. Hopefully this will cut down on radio stations playing the same Nickelback song 10 times every day. I know that in Toronto there's a lot of barely known indie artists who do amazing work and deserve more airplay, airplay which they're not getting.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I agree
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: ...wants more indie artists on radio, less Celine

Post by Stofsk »

Mrs Kendall wrote:I think this is an awesome idea, I'm sick of hearing the same songs over and over again and it would be nice to give those new artists a chance. What does everyone else think? Besides I hate Celine Dion :o
I concur that it's a good idea. As you, I cannot stand to hear the same songs repeat over the course of a day, and especially if it were Celine Dion. Ugh.

If it helps the new kids on the block get their shot, then I'm all for it. This kind of industry is competitive enough. Then again, it could just be my aussie tall poppy syndrome kicking in again. ;)
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

The CRTC will never listen to the little guys,they only exist to protect and help the big ones.....btw you should count yourselves lucky to have never heard CDs french songs which include the one she sang for JPII (Une colombe est parti en voyage) :banghead:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Now that I think about it some more, I'm not sure if it's a good idea and fear that it may have unintended results. Instead of encouraging radio stations to play more songs by lesser known musicians, I think it may end up having the opposite effect. Radio stations aren't known for taking chances, at least, not around here they aren't, so if the new credit system goes into effect they'll end up playing more Celine Dion and fucking Nickelback to get the required number of credits & make the quota. I don't think it can be fixed short of going "you can only play this many songs by these artists this many times in one day".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mrs Kendall wrote:yeah internet radio can only take you so far and you can't listen to it in the bathroom, backyard, car, etc... If I want to listen to music, I want to listen to music, not sit at my computer desk all day :P

EDIT: for spelling
So get a good sound system on your computer. I can hear mine all through the house if I crank it up, and I've got a big house. 8)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Yeah I agree with you aerius, didn't think about that. uh oh... Oh well we'll see what happens I guess.

@ Rogue 9, Uh yeah ok whatever... the problem is I already have a good sound system and don't have the money to get a good computer sound system, nor do I even want one :P

I'm quite happy listening to my cd's when the kids permit it of course ;)

EDIT: I just wish I could listen to the radio more often without hearing the same songs over and over again, which is the point of this thread.