Mustafar

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DavidVCSAndersen
Redshirt

Mustafar

Post by DavidVCSAndersen »

Mustafar! What kind of a planet name is that!

Anyone know where Lucas got his inspiration from when naming this planet? Have the planet been in pre-episode III sources or invented for Epi III?

I can not stop thinking of the muslim / middle eastern name Mustafa when saying Mustafar
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhht................ :roll:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

He's right you know.

Mustafar. Father of Aladdinr.
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Wasn't it the original name for Tatooine?
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Admiral Drason wrote:Wasn't it the original name for Tatooine?
I dunno.
Mustabin.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Re: Mustafar

Post by Junghalli »

DavidVCSAndersen wrote:Mustafar! What kind of a planet name is that!
Probably something somebody made up by rolling random syllables around until he found something that "felt" right. It's a common procedure with SF writers, I do it all the time.
I can not stop thinking of the muslim / middle eastern name Mustafa when saying Mustafar
Could indeed be he just added r to Mustafa. I thought the word had more of a Biblical than Arab feel personally. Which is probably what they were shooting for, given as it's the place where Anakin's conversion to Darth Vader is completed.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Isn't there another planet with a name very close to that? The place where the three eyed goat dudes live. Malastair or some such.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The original name for Tatooine was Utapau. Utapau was also the original name for Naboo during the writing process.

I for one like Mustafar, as well as other various planetary names in Star Wars. It's different from names in most sci-fi fare, which are generally all the same.

And Mustafar was indeed originally just Mustafa. They added the final R as pre-production went on.

Junghalli is also right concerning Lucas' manner of creating names. He just sounds stuff out and renders them phonetically until he gets something he likes.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I used to know a guy back in school named Mustafa.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Admiral Drason wrote:Wasn't it the original name for Tatooine?
The desert planet went by the name of Aquilae in the first draft of the screenplay for the original movie, and by the name Utapu for each subsequent draft up until the fourth and final draft, at which point it was renamed Tatooine.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Tatooine was actually named in post-production, after Tataouine, the city in Tunisia around where most of the desert planet stuff was filmed. While the name Utapau was long since dropped, I don't think "Tatooine" technically had a name while they were filming.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I like Mustafar. The planet sounds hot.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

There was some speculation it was named after the founder of the modern Turkish state. Since a "great change" is brought about on this planet.
DavidVCSAndersen
Redshirt

Post by DavidVCSAndersen »

VT-16 wrote:There was some speculation it was named after the founder of the modern Turkish state. Since a "great change" is brought about on this planet.
I guess you mean Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic and its first President.

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

What's wrong with Mustafar? I think it's a good name.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Vympel wrote:I like Mustafar. The planet sounds hot.
*groans*

There's something just... odd about that name, though. I can't place it, but I don't like it. :?
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:The original name for Tatooine was Utapau. Utapau was also the original name for Naboo during the writing process.

I for one like Mustafar, as well as other various planetary names in Star Wars. It's different from names in most sci-fi fare, which are generally all the same.

And Mustafar was indeed originally just Mustafa. They added the final R as pre-production went on.

Junghalli is also right concerning Lucas' manner of creating names. He just sounds stuff out and renders them phonetically until he gets something he likes.
Isn't U Tapau the RTAB for Arclight BUFFs during the Vietnam War?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

I thought U Tapau was the Royal Thai Air Base that B-52s on Arclight (B-52 tactical missions in close air support of US forces) missions over South Viet Nam were based at. Of course the B-52s that were there in 1972 were also used on the Linebacker missions over North Viet Nam.