The best alien race in Sci-fi

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:The Affront were always nicely alien to me.
Indeed, proud warrior thugs done right.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I also like the Gas Dwellers from The Algebrist By Iain M. Banks.
They're the typical braggarts.
"Oh yes, we have wormholes to everywhere but we like staying on the same planet."
"We have the most powerful weapons in the galaxy, but we use these ones to fight between our selves for fun."
"We've been around in this galaxy longr than anyone!"

They're the typical braggarts, with one vital diffrence.

It's all true.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Pkunk, Syreen and Spathi.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Whatever race the green alien newsanchor from Futurama is
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

wautd wrote:Whatever race the green alien newsanchor from Futurama is
I don't think Morbo's species is named.

I like the guys from Omicron Persei 8, I can't remember if they had a name. (Futurama)
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

They were called the Omicronians, IIRC.

Persoanlly, I thought the replicators were a great alien species, cold, unstoppable, smart, simple yet advanced. I wasn't a big fan of them being anthropomorphised, however, but the replicarter was still quite cool. The guy before that was kinda crappy, though.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I like the Ob'enn, a race of genocidal, psychopathic killers. Their sole object is to wipe out every form of life other than their own out of sheer xenophobia.

So of course they look like cute teddy bears.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

JAFFA! KREE!!!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

HemlockGrey wrote:I like the Ob'enn, a race of genocidal, psychopathic killers. Their sole object is to wipe out every form of life other than their own out of sheer xenophobia.

from what universe are they?
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

wautd wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:I like the Ob'enn, a race of genocidal, psychopathic killers. Their sole object is to wipe out every form of life other than their own out of sheer xenophobia.

from what universe are they?
Schlock Mercenary
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

The Drazi... if for no other reason than the "GREEN! PURPLE!" fight. that was hilarious.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I've contributed the Pak'ma'ra, now I shall add the Hoovooloo (a superintelligent shade of the color blue).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I was so hoping to see it in the movie. I mean, how hard is it to add in a shade of Blue in the background of the movie?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm going with the Protoss. Even though they are a "game race," they hardly fall completely into the 'benevolent elder alien' group. Although they supposedly watched over the younger races in their territory, when they went into the Terran Sector, the Judicators (leading caste) wanted to simply annihilate the terrans if the infestation had gotten large, while the warriors (Templar) were more sympathetic to saving humanity. I only wish that the weird inconsistency of the Protoss being nearly annihilated by the loss of their homeworld and the booklet that came with the game that said that the Protoss had ultimately held sway over about an eighth of the galaxy had been resolved.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I'm going with the Protoss. Even though they are a "game race," they hardly fall completely into the 'benevolent elder alien' group. Although they supposedly watched over the younger races in their territory, when they went into the Terran Sector, the Judicators (leading caste) wanted to simply annihilate the terrans if the infestation had gotten large, while the warriors (Templar) were more sympathetic to saving humanity. I only wish that the weird inconsistency of the Protoss being nearly annihilated by the loss of their homeworld and the booklet that came with the game that said that the Protoss had ultimately held sway over about an eighth of the galaxy had been resolved.
there isn't really anything to resolve.

The Protoss are highly centralized, all actual construction of facilities was done on Aiur, and when they need to establish new bases, they simply warped in the buildings from Aiur and sent resources home for them to build more stuff. The only actual construction that is done off world are probes, shuttles, reavers, scarabs, observers, and interceptors (built onboard carriers).

Eventually, they'll be able to re-establish their seat of power at Shakuras, but till then they're basically cut off from the rest of the Protoss empire.
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

The Abh.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Matt Huang wrote:there isn't really anything to resolve.

The Protoss are highly centralized, all actual construction of facilities was done on Aiur, and when they need to establish new bases, they simply warped in the buildings from Aiur and sent resources home for them to build more stuff. The only actual construction that is done off world are probes, shuttles, reavers, scarabs, observers, and interceptors (built onboard carriers).

Eventually, they'll be able to re-establish their seat of power at Shakuras, but till then they're basically cut off from the rest of the Protoss empire.
Also, one should consider the notion that upon the Zerg invasion Templar from all over the empire would be rushing through their portals back to Aiur as fast as possible, and would be duly slaughtered.
"Guys, don't do that"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Matt Huang wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:I'm going with the Protoss. Even though they are a "game race," they hardly fall completely into the 'benevolent elder alien' group. Although they supposedly watched over the younger races in their territory, when they went into the Terran Sector, the Judicators (leading caste) wanted to simply annihilate the terrans if the infestation had gotten large, while the warriors (Templar) were more sympathetic to saving humanity. I only wish that the weird inconsistency of the Protoss being nearly annihilated by the loss of their homeworld and the booklet that came with the game that said that the Protoss had ultimately held sway over about an eighth of the galaxy had been resolved.
there isn't really anything to resolve.

I was thinking in terms of the population of the Protoss Empire, and how it is never resolved how the Protoss could be near annihilation when surely they have colonies in their empire. Plus, although the templar would be headed back, the actual populace(the Khalai) would probably remain, particularly once Aiur became heavily infested with Zerg.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Even after Auir is destroyed, you're still warping in buildings from... somewhere.

Ur-Quan. Evil, powerful, abused as children.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Then again, it is mentioned in Brood War (in the briefing of the secret Protoss mission) of how the Protoss fleets are scattered across the galaxy, so I may be wrong.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ur-Quan. Both types. The sheer amount of one-track, singleminded intra-species debate over whether to be lenient and enslave or imprison all life or be conservative and kill it all just to be sure is almost hilarious to me, and they're actually designed reasonably well psychologically for a video game.

And to a mind that only values Ur-Quan life and believes in Reincarnation, their actions actually make sense (a plus for alien life in fiction).

Plus, the voices are neat. Especially the Kohr-Ah. They have some neat quotes. There's too many to choose just 3, so I had the quotes tinified to avoid length.

5. "Our instinctive territoriality [...] 'KILL THE INTERLOPER. RIP OUT ITS LIFE.'"
4. [How can you have security in a twenty thousand year war?] "The cleansing insures our freedom and security. Threats to this freedom and security are confined to Non-Ur-Quan intelligent lifeforms. To preserve our freedom and security, we cleanse such threats"
3. ['We are stronger and will win.'] "Over 5000 races have such a claim. We survived. They did not. Nor shall you."
2. ['You attacked us before, and we won. You cannot defeat us. Surrender now.'] "We did. You did. Yes we can. No."
1. [How to make the Kohr-Ah stop?] "If you eliminate all non Ur-Quan sentient races, including yourselves, then we will stop. We have made this offer before. No one accepts. So we cleanse."
Honorable Mention to:
"Before we destroy other thinking beings we share with them this comforting fact This life of yours... which shall end immediately following this statement is but one of many lives you will live. Perhaps, in your next incarnation, you will be born an Ur-Quan."
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

chtorr and moties
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I do like the Affront, but I have a special place in my heart for the Krikkiters.
They're just charming, whimsical, nice, polite, manic xenophobes.

"It'll have to go"
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

I'll have to go with Mon Calmari

Turning all your luxury liners into warships to help rebel against an Empire that can BDZ your homeworld is big-time ballsy
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I love Vogons. If I ever become a bureaucratic drone, I'm going to model my behavior on theirs.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues