Core tenents of Scientology?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

This might interest you, but apperently the high ranking wierdos in Scienctology avoid prosecuction by living on a boat Hubbard purchased and stay in international waters. If Hubbard is still alive, and I believe he is, thats where he is hiding.

Here is an interesting site detailing some of their hijinks.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Lord Zentei wrote:
A commercial organization? Here I was thinking it was defined as a cult. Oddly enough, the "commercial organization that strives against the free and democratic order" label is even more appropriate... 8)
They have also been the only "religious" organization ever successfully convicted for criminal libel (a criminal prosecution) in Canada courtesy of its attacks on a Crown Prosecutor. And one of the few with its own spy service (read about operation Clambake) intent on taking over the government. To quote Londo - "stupidity and arrogance all wrapped up in the same package. how convenient."

Wonderful organization :kill:
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Above: The paperback that has already sold two million copies.
"Unlike Scientology, which is based on empirically verifiable scientific tenets, Fictionology's central principles are essentially fairy tales with no connection to reality," the AIR report read. "In short, Fictionology offers its followers a mythical belief system free from the cumbersome scientific method to which Scientology is hidebound."
Alas, there are people who actually beleive the bolded bit. But yeah, this is hilarious. Way to go onion.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Here's the article about taking to the seas. It also states that Hubbard died in '86 in the USA while in hiding. Pretty kooky.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

That's hilarious. Thank you, Onion.

Well, yeah. This thing's called 'the Sea Org', and was Hubbard's little private navy with their wannabe marine corps dress uniforms. They're pretty kooky. A few accounts from aboard show like... high-ranking Scientologists hiding out there while being waited on hand and foot by totally brainwashed followers. People have died, and they have intense hazing for people who don't unquestioningly follow orders. Pretty nasty stuff.

Oh. By the way,
Praise Kosh and the holy V-Meter!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

[quote="Nephtys"] People have died, and they have intense hazing for people who don't unquestioningly follow orders. Pretty nasty stuff.
[quote]

I question the use of the word Hazing in this case. According to Clambake, it seems more like systematic torture to get Sea Org recruits in line.

Operation: Clambake on Sea Org

The letters from Susan Meister before joining and immediately prior to her death by shooting herself with a revolver (in an impossible position to shoot one'sself, nonetheless) and the later change to Moroccan Cholera are very disturbing.
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Cpl Kendall wrote:This might interest you, but apperently the high ranking wierdos in Scienctology avoid prosecuction by living on a boat Hubbard purchased and stay in international waters. If Hubbard is still alive, and I believe he is, thats where he is hiding.

Here is an interesting site detailing some of their hijinks.
What's the evidence that convinces you that he's still alive? They were pretty quick to plant the corpse and all, but that'd be in line with greedy bastards securing their power base after the big man dies.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Petrosjko wrote:
What's the evidence that convinces you that he's still alive? They were pretty quick to plant the corpse and all, but that'd be in line with greedy bastards securing their power base after the big man dies.
Huh? No I thought he was still alive because I hadn't seen anything saying he was dead. But I saw in that article I posted on Sea Org that he died in '86. I wasn't trying to imply a conspricy, just a lack of info on my part.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

The Onion wrote:"Scientology uses strictly scientific methodologies to undo the damage done 75 million years ago by the Galactic Confederation's evil warlord Xenu—we offer our preclear followers procedures to erase overts in the reactive mind. Conversely, Fictionology is essentially just a bunch of make-believe nonsense."
Pwned, if you're smart enough to see it.
"Guys, don't do that"
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

People keep referring to Scientological indoctrination methods peripherally, but now I hear they're serious: as in, mental abuse serious. Anyone mind explaining?
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

+http://www.clambake.org/archive/so/19821005-in.gif

A memo from within Scientology. Their notorious program within their 'Sea Org' was called the Ethics Program. It's where any small violation of a leader's word or percieved confusion/wavering resulted in being thrown into the chain-locker, a damp dark little pit where the ship's anchors were stored for upwards of two weeks without contact. Kids have been thrown in there, including a five year old blind-deaf until he learned to write his name, and a perhaps three year old.

They also had a program called the Rehabilitation Project Force, which punished lax performance. About a third of their little ship (150 hard core people) were rehabilitated at any one time, and one two-year member of the RPF said this...
It was essentially a prison to which crew who were considered nonproducers, security risks, or just wanted to leave the Sea Org, were assigned. Hubbard's RPF policies established the conditions.
RPF members were segregated and not allowed to communicate to anyone else. They had their own spaces and were not allowed in normal crew areas of the ship. They ate after normal crew had eaten, and only whatever was left over from the crew meal. Their berthing was the worst on board, in a roach-infested, filthy and unventilated cargo hold. They wore black boilersuits, even in the hottest weather. They were required to run everywhere. Discipline was harsh and bizarre, with running laps of the ship assigned for the slightest infraction like failing to address a senior with "Sir." Work was hard and the schedule rigid with seven hours sleep time from lights out to lights on, short meal breaks, no liberties and no free time...
When one young woman ordered into the RPF took the assignment too lightly, Hubbard created the RPF's RPF and assigned her to it, an even more degrading experience, cut off even from the RPF, kept under guard, forced to clean the ship's bilges, and allowed even less sleep.
So yeah. Sick bastards. Even the 'non hardcore' stuff is pretty awful. Early treatment sessions include 11 hour isolation sessions, staring at an instructor while repeating phraises, and being shouted at while trying not to flinch.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Oops. Here's more info on the sea org group of Scientology. The 'personal guard' deal.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/so/
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

How the fucking hell is this legal anywhere? Besides, someplace like Saudi Arabia? They can't hide under the word "religion" to justify actual physical abuse.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

wolveraptor wrote:How the fucking hell is this legal anywhere? Besides, someplace like Saudi Arabia? They can't hide under the word "religion" to justify actual physical abuse.
International Waters, my friend, International Waters. It's why they're Sea Org and not Dirt Org. And Celebrity endorsement to avoid popular disapproval.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

wolveraptor wrote:How the fucking hell is this legal anywhere? Besides, someplace like Saudi Arabia? They can't hide under the word "religion" to justify actual physical abuse.
http://www.xenu.net/archive/techniques/
Here's more on their lower-level brainwashing techniques.

But how is it legal? It most sensable countries, it's not. Germany, and if I recall.. Italy have it on the dangerous sect lists. But in the US, ignorance and their power prevents them from being hit hard. They've been sued, and brought up on criminal charges for Fraud, extortion, and manslaughter before in the US, but get away. They have a lot of support here, and practically own the town of Clearwater, Florida, where they've built a GIANT FORT. They hide behind 'religion' to take money from people.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

The American government has a pathological inability to even try and restrain any type of religion. Even stuff made up by a hack of a sci-fi author and called a "religion".

Radical Islam has nothing on the type of damage Scientology does to America's culture and people.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

Scientology does truly sound like a very evil organization created by a delusional paranoid man. It isn't a religion as far as I can see... it is some kind of insane cult. How the hell does something like this happen? You'd think people would have more good sense then to believe in some crackpot's crazy claims. If not... I'm very worried about the future of our world... ugh...
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They trap people with misleading questionaires and makes them feel uncomfortable without the cult, and part of a group with it... just like any other 'religion', actually. But here's their questionare they give to new people to make them feel bad.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/oca/
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

MRDOD wrote:
International Waters, my friend, International Waters. It's why they're Sea Org and not Dirt Org. And Celebrity endorsement to avoid popular disapproval.
Wait. In International waters, aren't these people under the jurisdiction of the UN, or something? Could you really rape, murder and abuse people just by being miles out to sea? That's seriously fucked up.

Besides, aren't Hollywood actors a bunch of dirty, rich liberals? How do some whack-jobs influence the vast majority of people, especially with the current conservative gov, to not persecute Scientology?

Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

wolveraptor wrote:Besides, aren't Hollywood actors a bunch of dirty, rich liberals? How do some whack-jobs influence the vast majority of people, especially with the current conservative gov, to not persecute Scientology?
By mostly flying under the radar, and going on the offensive whenever something is published about them. Lawyers backed by a boatload of cash can scare a lot of smaller media outlets.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They use the entire 'you say bad stuff about us that's true, we call lawyers on you' stuff. So yeah, it keeps a lot of people off of them. The mainstream media's done quite a bit back in the early 90's on them including news special reports and an article in Time on how big a scam it is.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Cpl Kendall wrote:This might interest you, but apperently the high ranking wierdos in Scienctology avoid prosecuction by living on a boat Hubbard purchased and stay in international waters.
So they can dodge lawyers, lets try torpedoes then! :twisted:
Surely some Sub could have a weapon "malfunction"...
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Zero132132 wrote:Scientology does truly sound like a very evil organization created by a delusional paranoid man. It isn't a religion as far as I can see... it is some kind of insane cult. How the hell does something like this happen? You'd think people would have more good sense then to believe in some crackpot's crazy claims. If not... I'm very worried about the future of our world... ugh...
Huh? I thought all cults were by definition religious (unless one is using the other meaning of cult as in "cult tv").

Scientology's philosopy is indeed nutty. However I can't see how this is more weirder than a religion claiming a flat earth, night and day being separated for 3 days before the sun was created, and hailstones being stored in giant warehouses in the sky.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

No, YEC Christianity is just stupid, not nutty and abusive.

Well not nutty, anyways.

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

ggs wrote:The American government has a pathological inability to even try and restrain any type of religion. Even stuff made up by a hack of a sci-fi author and called a "religion".
I can explain it perhaps. In America, you see people shake their heads all the time in disgust and mutter "I've never seen our country in such bad shape."

That does NOT happen in Germany...