Favorite State/Country Flags

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Favorite State/Country Flags

Post by Dangermouse »

Pretty simple really. Your favorite flag and why.

I will start:

South Carolina's state flag from the US. Why?

Well, I really like the contrast between the white and the midnight? blue. It is a very pleasing shade of blue, at least for me. I like the historical significance of the palmetto tree as well as the general arrangement of the both the palmetto tree and the crescent moon. Its unique as well, and some might argue, perhaps slightly unexpected.

I really appreciate the simplicty in the design. A pet peeve of mine are images that are overcluttered or do not use dead space effectively. I do not think I would like the flag as much if for example, the ground was included in the image. Simplicity is a design feature that is often overlooked in many images. This is especially true for a flag design in which quick recognition from a distance is desirable.

All in all, a very effective flag design. Its simple, easily recognizable, conveys some information about the state, and is attractive to look at it. :)

So, what are your favorite state/nation flags, and more importantly , why?
Last edited by Dangermouse on 2005-05-17 03:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

:D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Libya's flag is one of my personal favoriates. Probably one of the most origional and creative flag designs I've seen.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Old Glory obviously has some sentimental value to me. I also happen to like the design.

Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Libya's flag is one of my personal favoriates. Probably one of the most origional and creative flag designs I've seen.
My favourite used to be the Union Jack but the Libya flag totally owns it.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Zaia, WTF? :wtf:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Cyprus has a cool map.

EDIT:Flag even,
Last edited by 2000AD on 2005-05-17 06:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Zaia, WTF? :wtf:
It's the Boxing Kangaroo! An Aussie thing. I had to. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:Zaia, WTF? :wtf:
It's the Boxing Kangaroo! An Aussie thing. I had to. :D
Are you telling me this actually is an official flag? :shock:
Damn, the australians are even more awesome than I thought.
I've always been a fan of the Stars and Stripes myself.
Oh SHIT :oops:
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

No, it's not official, but the OP didn't specify that it had to be an official flag. :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:No, it's not official, but the OP didn't specify that it had to be an official flag. :D
Well if a) it isn't official and b) you can be bothered with another chatty post what is it?
Because I really dig it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Batman wrote:
Zaia wrote:No, it's not official, but the OP didn't specify that it had to be an official flag. :D
Well if a) it isn't official and b) you can be bothered with another chatty post what is it?
Because I really dig it.
Here is a link about the history of it. It's become a bit of a national sports flag there now, but it didn't originate that way.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

If I ever create an evil empire, I'm using Albania's flag.

Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I can dress my links: Part One!-Best Flag Ever, forever. Canada's flag is nice, but nothing compares to the Jack, praticulary the Ripoffs of the French Flag that everyone else in Europe is flying.

I can dress my links: Part Two!-Most Badass Flag ever conseved of.

I can dress my links: Part Three!-Canada's Flag, Simple, easy to recognize and not another British Ensign.

I can dress my links: Part FOUR!-Dispite the fact that North Korea is a shithole nation thats going down the Toilet, i like there flag.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Ohio's state flag. I don't really have a good reason, I just like it.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Ohio's state flag. I don't really have a good reason, I just like it.
That flag looks like it belongs to a Joint US/Japan Space colony.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

RedImperator wrote:If I ever create an evil empire, I'm using Albania's flag.
What is it? A two-headed phoenix? Dragon? It looks awesome though.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Βασιλεύς Βασιλέων, Βασιλεύων Βασιλεύοντων

(King of Kings, Reigning over those who Reign)

The flag of the Byzantine Emperor's.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Republic of China I'm from there. I like the design, too.

Borduria...because the symbolism is humorous. :lol:

Japanese flag because of its simple design.

American flag (with only 13 stars) and Union Jack because its balanced between complication and simplification.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Hawaii's, because it's got the british flag and the funky formatting of the stars and stripes.

Also rather partial to Brazil's.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Sendimental reasons.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:Borduria...because the symbolism is humorous. :lol:
Is it supposed to remind me of the Natty Bo guy's moustache? Because that's the sybolism I get from it. :D