Weird fucking clouds

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Weird fucking clouds

Post by Uraniun235 »

Found at Something Awful

SA thread
MaoistBanker of the SA Forums wrote:This is the most goddamned thing I have ever seen in my life. My cousin called me around 9:30 this morning. He lives in Joplin, Missouri. He said that the most amazing type of cloud he has ever seen were forming over the city during a heavy thunderstorm. He said that each little "nodule" was moving independently of each other in all different directions at a very high velocity.

I didn't think much of it until the local website posted pictures of it this evening.

Apparently, meteorologists don't have a name for these clouds, and the citizens of Joplin, MO will get to name them.

These are the most amazing clouds I have ever seen in my life. The first thing that popped into my head was that they seemed to be ripped out of the movie GHOSTBUSTERS:

You can find more at www.ksntv.com
Picture source
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

That does look like something out of a Ghostbusters movie.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Someone made an archive with more pics:

http://www.clickhalah.com/images/crazyclouds/

That's damn unsettling.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Warp storm! Chaos is upon us, repent, for only the Emperor can offer absolution!
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Holy fuck! I'd go ID4 if I'd saw something like that :shock:
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Geezus! Look at how the clouds just get normal off to the left in this picture

That's nuts :shock: I like the pics with the lightening bolts too. Cool stuff man :)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Clearly, the fine citizens of Joplin did something to anger God
KowaiYukiDono
Youngling

Post by KowaiYukiDono »

Looks like some form of temperature layering, with clouds.

Usually that kind of unusual front causes tornadoes. If you look, you can see where the clouds are spiralling where heavier air is dropping through. I mean, you can see where the next front is rolling in under in one picture, with normal clouds rolling in under the odd overcast-fog-clouds. Things.

Not that I'm a professional or anything. It just looks like that from my "I took high school science classes and got really high grades" standpoint.

It almost looks like what happens when you pour water through oil sitting on top of water.

That is so cool. I'm going to be speculating for days.
3y3 M ub3r thx 4 a5kn!
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

If this stuff goes on a lot, this might explain why the south is so keen on god.

Reminds me of Lewis Black

"They didn't even have this kind of weather in the bible, and you know damn well if they did, after the writer wiped the poop out of his pants, he would have told us about it"
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

This phenomenon is not limited to the South. I've seen it in Connecticut as well. It's extremely unnerving. The clouds seem to flow like a viscous liquid and the "nodules" or "dimples" are static while the clouds flow around them. They do typically preceed a thunderstorm, as mentioned above.

But they're creepy as shit. :wtf:
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Must be some seriously funky winds up in those clouds. I'd think this is similar to the way tornadoes are started. We get similar clouds here sometimes, though they tend to stay static and not flow around. Not fast anyway. But then again, we very rarely get tornadoes and our thunderstorms tend to be pretty boring. Though there was a pretty cool one last Sunday...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dude, that is some seriously F*** Up stuff that is... I would give ANYTHING to have watched it :twisted:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

That's some wierd looking shit. My thought when I saw the first picture was that someone had Photoshopped the underside of an ice sheet into a picture. It being real and the discription of its movement makes it that much wierder.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

yeah.... those do look like tornados that havent touched down yet... spiffy
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

I apologize for the crudeness of this, but I did it quickly and simply so as to illustrate a point, not to win an art contest ;)

This is what they looked like when I saw them. They seemed a lot like water flowing over a rigidly defined surface (...the air?) and they maintained this shape as they traveled. They were moving very quickly (high winds, even though there was virtually no wind where I was watching them) and followed the path the arrows indicate. I re-emphasize that the profile they had did not change, despite the clouds moving. Understand that I'm not saying that shape was retained as the clouds traveled, but rather that the clouds conformed to that shape as they moved through it, while the form they followed remained static.

I still feel like I'm not explaining that well enough, so let me phrase it as such. See that lowest dip? Okay, imagine I'm beneath that, standing still. The clouds move, but that dip is still directly above me. I haven't moved. The clouds are moving quickly. But that dip is still right there. All the clouds are conforming to that path as they move.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Just remember: If someone asks you if you are a God you say YES!
KowaiYukiDono
Youngling

Post by KowaiYukiDono »

McC wrote:[snip]
Understand that I'm not saying that shape was retained as the clouds traveled, but rather that the clouds conformed to that shape as they moved through it, while the form they followed remained static.
[snip]
Certain kinds of "fog machine chemicals" do that, too. Dry ice, when undisturbed, will, though that's not above you.
3y3 M ub3r thx 4 a5kn!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Jesus shit, I thought all those photos were photoshopped but they're really FUCKING REAL?
Man, they look incredible. I should print them out and give them to the Earth Science teachers...
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I don't know what the folks in Joplin, Missouri did, but they sure done pissed God off good.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Asshole.

:wink:
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

ROFLOL!

*save*
:D
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

God damn, those are some creepy clouds.

I'm sure glad we don't get shit like that in Iowa.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Are you kidding? I'd love to see those in RL.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I wouldn't mind getting those clouds in New Jersey either. If we're going to have crappy weather for most of the year, then we might as well get the creepy-looking clouds to go with it!
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB