Split from ROTS Revelations

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

The mass drivers are located on the right hand page, just forward of the bulging out of the hull into the hangar and engine section. Just above the lower visible side trench.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:the cannons are painted into the ICS entry, you can see them (including the ammo feed.) You can tell those gun ports are larger than the protorp tubes.
Where?
You don't even have a copy of the book handy, yet you're questioning his assertion?
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Alan Bolte wrote: This is a DK book. There's at least one misplaced line in every second entry.

Well, allow me to clarify, it's never off totally, just by perhaps a few millimeters. I think my favorite is one in the AOTC:ICS which calls an LAAT/i an LAAT/c, just by virtue of being off by a few millimeters.
I doubt its an error. Besides, I doubt those things are large enough to mount multi-megaton ion cannons (they don't l ook much larger than a fighter-grade laser cannon.)
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Illuminatus Primus wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:the cannons are painted into the ICS entry, you can see them (including the ammo feed.) You can tell those gun ports are larger than the protorp tubes.
Where?
You don't even have a copy of the book handy, yet you're questioning his assertion?
I do, and I'm not seeing anything that looks like it dude. Where?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ender wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Illuminatus Primus wrote: Where?
Right-hand half of the fold out. They're below the upper air brakes. If you follow the line of the "4.8 megaton ion cannon" entry it will point to their general vicinity (like alan mentioned.)
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Alan Bolte wrote:The mass drivers are located on the right hand page, just forward of the bulging out of the hull into the hangar and engine section. Just above the lower visible side trench.
those just look like hatches to me dude
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Ender wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote: You don't even have a copy of the book handy, yet you're questioning his assertion?
Right-hand half of the fold out. They're below the upper air brakes. If you follow the line of the "4.8 megaton ion cannon" entry it will point to their general vicinity (like alan mentioned.)
Those are suppossed to be guns? I figured they were just Iris hatched airlocks for loading/unloading
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ender wrote:[Those are suppossed to be guns? I figured they were just Iris hatched airlocks for loading/unloading
Look. You can see the vertical ammo feeds. Its a cut-away of the interior of those "Hatches" and you can see the guns and the ammo feed to several of them (directly under the upper air-brake.)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Ender wrote:[Those are suppossed to be guns? I figured they were just Iris hatched airlocks for loading/unloading
Look. You can see the vertical ammo feeds. Its a cut-away of the interior of those "Hatches" and you can see the guns and the ammo feed to several of them (directly under the upper air-brake.)
Oh yeah, I see it. They do look about what one would expect.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Ah. Didnt realize the cutaway was a cut away, I thought that was just another exposed part like the windows and trenchs around there
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ender wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Ah. Didnt realize the cutaway was a cut away, I thought that was just another exposed part like the windows and trenchs around there
Nope. Those are guns. You can even make out the little ammo cases in the feeding rack.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

By ANH Jedi were no longer a problem, so they may have been no reason to have these Ray Shields installed on the Death Star or other warships of the era, as any infiltrator who may get aboard would be discouraged by the (presumably much cheaper) Blast Doors.
That doesn't make sense, because ray shields would still be more advantageous than blast doors. With blast doors, you still have to gas the enemy, or send in troops to clear them out, etc. With a ray shield, you can just walk a few guys into the room in question and gun them down.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

HemlockGrey wrote:
By ANH Jedi were no longer a problem, so they may have been no reason to have these Ray Shields installed on the Death Star or other warships of the era, as any infiltrator who may get aboard would be discouraged by the (presumably much cheaper) Blast Doors.
That doesn't make sense, because ray shields would still be more advantageous than blast doors. With blast doors, you still have to gas the enemy, or send in troops to clear them out, etc. With a ray shield, you can just walk a few guys into the room in question and gun them down.
But ray shields also require a constant power feed, need maintenance, and are a lot more complex than a big honking blast door. That old K.I.S.S. in action.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

But ray shields also require a constant power feed, need maintenance, and are a lot more complex than a big honking blast door. That old K.I.S.S. in action.
A blast door's mechanism would also need maintance, and we have no idea what the power requirements of these ray shields are. The difference could be negligible for all we know, and it would certainly be worthwhile to have a more complicated system if the system cut down on the number of in-ship firefights.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

HemlockGrey wrote:
A blast door's mechanism would also need maintance, and we have no idea what the power requirements of these ray shields are. The difference could be negligible for all we know, and it would certainly be worthwhile to have a more complicated system if the system cut down on the number of in-ship firefights.
Not to mention a Jedi's lightsaber can get through a blast door but not a ray shield.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Darth Mortis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mortis »

Bears mentioning that there is now a high level canon example of drug use in the Star Wars Galaxy, and it appears that it is able to be injected.
Tis but a flesh would- The Black Knight
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Darth Mortis wrote:Bears mentioning that there is now a high level canon example of drug use in the Star Wars Galaxy, and it appears that it is able to be injected.
We knew there were drugs for ages. SPice (from Kessel) has been referenced loads of times.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Darth Mortis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mortis »

Yes, let me have my coffee.....
Tis but a flesh would- The Black Knight
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Also, it is possible that explosives could be set to destroy blast doors, but setting explosives in a ray shield would only kill the intruders.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

HemlockGrey wrote:Also, it is possible that explosives could be set to destroy blast doors, but setting explosives in a ray shield would only kill the intruders.
Of course this assumes the intruder has such things. Really the only opponent that can get past a blast door with regularity is a Jedi.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

HemlockGrey wrote:
Again, it's not that they don't have uses it's that they don't necessarily have uses worth installing them regualarly. Certainly there's a reason they didn't and so take your pick.
Not to mention a Jedi's lightsaber can get through a blast door but not a ray shield.
Its entirely possible that if it's contained like the garbage chamber was then they might be similarly resistant to light sabers.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Stormbringer wrote:Its entirely possible that if it's contained like the garbage chamber was then they might be similarly resistant to light sabers.
This might be considered game mechanics, but "magnetically sealed" doors in the KotOR games can't be forced open with lightsabres.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ray shields can be deactivated by loss of power. Loss of power is not going to cause a blast door to disappear (it might make it a bitch to open and close, though.) Thats an obvious advantage (if you lose power when you have a prisoner trapped, they can likely escape if it was shielding enclosing them, whereas if they're trapped by blast doors they'll stay trapped.)

What's more, a blast door can be designed to close automatically in the case of a shield or power failure - have a force-field tied to the shield generator holding back the blast door (which would be forced shut by gravity, some sort of mechanism, whatnot.) and when the shield fails, the blast door could automatically shut. Kinda like what happened on the Invisible Hand.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Darth Mortis wrote:Bears mentioning that there is now a high level canon example of drug use in the Star Wars Galaxy, and it appears that it is able to be injected.
I would imagine TPM's mention of "deathsticks" would be an example of drug use as well.

Another note: Kashyyyk is much different from how the EU describes it. It's always been claimed that the lower levels are very dangerous to travel, and that the Wookies never travel to the ground. The wroshyr trees are supposed to keep the entire world enshrouded in darkness at low levels, and they are too dangerous to enter. The battle of Kashyyyk appears to take place in a swamp on the ground, with no evidence of wroshyr trees.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Drunk Monkey
Padawan Learner

Post by Drunk Monkey »

The Dark wrote:
I would imagine TPM's mention of "deathsticks" would be an example of drug use as well.]

Don’t you mean AOTC.
:roll:
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on 2005-05-26 03:52pm, edited 1 time in total.