The "WEB DESIGN" thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

The "WEB DESIGN" thread

Post by Comosicus »

I've noticed the lack of such a thread, both in AMP and G&C. As such I have decided to start this place so that all people around here that have something to do with this field can post their work and receive feedback.

I've placed it here instead of G&C because I have in mind mostly the graphic part and because I consider this activity closely related to artwork.

To start, here is something I've done one week ago as part of a job interview. The page is for a hypothetical firm that sales used cars and it required logo design, layout design and html implementation. Given the envent, I've decided to use a tableless layout - my first one :mrgreen:

Here is the link. Opinions please?
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Quite conservative. Easy to navigate. Pretty adequat for a used car sales page, IMO.

I don´t like the picture you use in the upper part, the picture with the traffic jam. Nobody likes traffic jams. You can´t advertise with traffic jams.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

salm wrote:Quite conservative. Easy to navigate. Pretty adequat for a used car sales page, IMO.

I don´t like the picture you use in the upper part, the picture with the traffic jam. Nobody likes traffic jams. You can´t advertise with traffic jams.
salm thats not a traffic jam, it looks more like a carp park of some sort
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

It is a car park but the lines give the impression that it is a shot of cars struck in traffic. First impressions are important though so you may want to consider either blurring out / masking the lines to make it more resemble a parking lot or choose another shot that makes it more clear.

I like the design although on my browser, the width of the site is larger than my screen so I have to scroll over which can be annoying. I use a smaller screen resolution than most though. I like the simplicity of the design but the site would work much better if I could see all the content without scrolling over.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

All the work was done in 7 hours, during the test for the job, so my options were pretty limited regarding the available images. Also I've targeted the layout for a 1024x768 resolution and higher, because of time restriction and desire to make a tableless layout. And I still lack the ability to make fluid layouts with the same "eye-catch".

This project is some sort of a dead end anyway, because the "employer-to-be" was not so serious and tried to trick me into worse conditions than we agreed in the first place. But I'll try and see if I can do something about those lines tonight.

EDIT: I've removed those stripes, although I'm not entirely pleased with the result, but it is pretty late here and I don't have the patience tonight to change it further.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Only thing that I've really done myself is my latest health project..

http://www.nov-net.com/jd/HTHproj/Index.htm

It'll be gone in a few days.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Not bad - I like the color scheme, it has a clean look. If you look at it on 800x600, you have to scroll side-to-side though, and if you're making a professional website, you want it to be accessible to everybody in your target audience - that means accomodating for small resolutions and older browsers.

As a personal preference, I think it would look a little nicer if it had a little whitespace on the top and bottom, like how you have it on the right and left.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Only thing that I've really done myself is my latest health project..

I think it is a good start, but there is a lot of room for improvement (as it is for me too :mrgreen:). My advices would be:

1. try and make a cleaner background, because the current image kind of distracts the attention from the information. The ideal would be to achieve contrast between the background and the content area, in order to focus attention.

2. experiment a lot, look on other websites for ideas and try to personalize them, to make them into your own style.

3. don't give up in front of critics :wink:
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Here some material to look at. Not by me of course:

2Advanced
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

You spelled navigation wrong on the dreamer one, btw.

My current website, that only started working today is www.morticide.com I plan on making it look more occultish later.

The one in the OP looked fine to me, very professional.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Rye wrote:
You spelled navigation wrong on the dreamer one, btw..
D'oh. >.< Thanks for pointing that out. ::goes to fix that real quick::

Formerly verilon

Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Another site I have finished recently is the redesign for American Window Film, as an outsourcing project for another webdesign company. The redesigned version can be seen here.
AnimeJet
Jedi Knight

Post by AnimeJet »

Wow, a professional. Very cool stuff =O. I just do simple layouts for my personal site, http://keese.beamsboy.net
"Everyone is a Nintendo Fan when no one is looking"
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Comosicus wrote:
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Only thing that I've really done myself is my latest health project..

I think it is a good start, but there is a lot of room for improvement (as it is for me too :mrgreen:). My advices would be:

1. try and make a cleaner background, because the current image kind of distracts the attention from the information. The ideal would be to achieve contrast between the background and the content area, in order to focus attention.

2. experiment a lot, look on other websites for ideas and try to personalize them, to make them into your own style.

3. don't give up in front of critics :wink:
As I said, it's for a simple health project, not meant to stick around :wink:

Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

AnimeJet wrote:Wow, a professional. Very cool stuff =O. I just do simple layouts for my personal site, http://keese.beamsboy.net
That's not bad at all. Very interesting. I like that single-column design.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I just got today another project - a presentation website for an accounting firm. I'll be posting links as soon as there is something consistent to show.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

I just spent about 8 hours this morning putting this together. I'm quite proud of it.

Formerly verilon

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Comosicus wrote:Another site I have finished recently is the redesign for American Window Film, as an outsourcing project for another webdesign company. The redesigned version can be seen here.
They insisted on the colours? That brownish...whatever looks just horrid...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

http://hayfieldrobotics.us

Rather halfassed- I'll put more work in it over the summer.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Dahak wrote:
Comosicus wrote:Another site I have finished recently is the redesign for American Window Film, as an outsourcing project for another webdesign company. The redesigned version can be seen here.
They insisted on the colours? That brownish...whatever looks just horrid...
Those are the brand colors, that I had to use together with the logo.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

verilon wrote:I just spent about 8 hours this morning putting this together. I'm quite proud of it.
Looking good. However you might try to reduce the contrast in the background pattern, like reducing the opacity for the pattern layer. At this point it creates some distraction when trying to read the text, especially on the left column.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

My stuff is just static, no-frills affairs. I'm playing around with more advanced stuff offline, but the most "advanced" thing I have online are image maps:

http://www.mrpoesmorgue.com/morgstuff/morg.html

http://www.mrpoesmorgue.com/usvsd/usvsd.html

I do the SANGRIA band website too:

http://www.sangriaband.net/

...and the SADDLEBACK LOUNGE:

http://www.saddlebacklounge.com/

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

http://webpages.charter.net/alnthib

A project from way back in 2002, which I just started working back on. My HTML is rusty as all hell. The front page is primarily a portal page, which opens up to each of the subsites (each opens in it's own window).

I removed the forums today, because they are a old proboards account Ilost the passwrd for, and don't feel like getting it back.

The Clan Kurumi page is my newest project, as it's the clanpage for my Diablo 2 clan (just started).
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Well, my health teacher loved that project above, and discreetly hinted that she'd like a website made.

Appearantly she makes and sells bead-based...stuff. So, she wants to sell it online. The following is a demo.

http://www.nov-net.com/jd/beads