Flawed Creature

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Gaargh! It looks like the vampires aren't the only undead things about this story. Exams are coming up, so naturally I'm starting it again (I also now have computer, which also helps).

Anyway, enjoy the chapter, belated though it is.

Oh, and comments please! *strikes a perky anime pose*

V

With midwinter approaching, balls were being held almost every night as rival lords attempted to gather the largest crowd at their own midwinter celebration. Matthew went to these balls alone, Geoffrey still being ill. It had been almost two weeks since the night of the attack and he was still showing no signs of improvement.

During the day, he would visit Geoffrey and tell him of his evenings. Geoffrey seemed to enjoy hearing of the parties, but the vampire’s sickness was robbing him of his health. He was becoming increasingly pale and occasionally he would look as though he were about to faint, despite the fact that he was lying in his bed.

Because Geoffrey was bedridden, it surprised Matthew no end when on one occasion, it was Geoffrey who was giving him news.

“Madame Josephine is pregnant,” Geoffrey told Matthew happily. “I’m going to have a brother!”

“A brother?” Matthew asked. “Have they already asked the priests to divine it?” Divining the sex of a child was an unusual move, and was generally only undertaken by older childless lords. Matthew looked at his friend’s smiling face and wondered if he realised that his father may have given him up for dead.

“Yes. I thought it was odd at first, but Madame Josephine just couldn’t wait to find out.” Geoffrey said. “I don’t mind. When mother died, I thought I’d never have any brothers or sisters, but now I’m finally getting one!”

“That’s good news, then,” Matthew said, Geoffrey’s explanation quietening his fears somewhat.

“Oh, Hello, Father Pontsfrey,” Geoffrey said suddenly, looking behind Matthew.

Matthew looked back. The tall Exorcist who was overseeing Geoffrey’s treatment always seemed to arrive without warning. Behind him stood an acolyte carrying the equipment for the treatment.

“Good afternoon, Master Paige,” said Father Pontsfrey. “Are you ready for your treatment?”

“As ready as ever.” Geoffrey said. He glanced at Matthew. “Uh, can Matthew stay? I think I’d like it if he were here.”

“He can stay if he wishes. The good will of friends can often help to speed the demon away.” The priest opened the bag and took out a small vial. He poured a small amount of a foul-smelling liquid into a glass and handed it to Geoffrey.

“What is it?” Matthew asked as Geoffrey drank the concoction.

“It’s a mixture of garlic and quicksilver. Both are inimical to vampires and will help your friend’s body to reject the demon,” said the priest. He took two candles and placed them at the head of the bed, praying over each of them in turn.

“It tastes worse than it smells,” Geoffrey told Matthew. “Be glad that no vampire’s bitten you.”

“I am,” said Matthew. “I don’t think I could swallow that stuff.”

“That’s not the worst of it, either,” said Geoffrey. “Watch this.”

Geoffrey offered his arm to the Exorcist who had taken out a long hollow needle with a tube attached to it. Father Pontsfrey inserted the needle into Geoffrey’s vein and watched the blood as it came out into an empty measuring container. When the container measured a pint of blood, the priest removed the needle and bandaged Geoffrey’s arm.

“You’re taking more this time?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes, Master Paige. We’re increasing the treatment from now on, in hope that the demon will be exorcised more quickly. I hope you’re saying your prayers.”

“I am, Father.”

“That’s good. Now, get some rest.”

“Yes, Father. I’m feeling sleepy anyway.” Geoffrey lay back and closed his eyes. Soon he was breathing evenly in sleep.

The Exorcist shook his head, sadly. “You’ll never be cured like that, my son,” he whispered. “May the Lord watch over you while you sleep and drive out the demon within you. Amen.”

Matthew also prayed for his friend, who looked weaker after his treatment than he had before. He hoped that the prayers of himself and the priest would be sufficient to gain the Lord’s attention when Geoffrey’s strength had been too little for him to pray himself.

The Exorcist arose. “Come,” he said to Matthew. “It’s best to let your friend rest in peace now.”

Matthew nodded and followed him out of the room, leaving Geoffrey behind alone.

“Why do you need to draw the blood from him?” he asked.

“The majority of the demonic essence that a vampire infects a victim with runs through the victim’s blood. By drawing the blood from your friend, we are also removing the demon from him.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Matthew asked.

“Yes, it is,” the priest admitted. “But it’s better to attempt to exorcise the demon than to allow his soul to be damned without fighting for it.”
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Quicksilver? Doesn't that stuff kill you! Oh dear...this isn't good. Good writing though, and I agree with your sig whole heartedly :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

very nice. More I say!
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Grr! Guess who reveals himself to be the evillest character in the story?

VI

Seeing the exact nature of Geoffrey’s treatment had shaken Matthew. Arriving at the major party on that night, he was still unable to take his mind off of his friend’s condition, and found it difficult to enjoy himself.

He was distracted by the sight of Duke Wulf making his way through the crowd. It was strange to see him here. Since the falling out he had had with Earl Paige, the two nobles had not attended the same gatherings, but tonight the two of them were present, albeit keeping a distance from each other. Perhaps Lucinda might be here as well, he thought. She’s not with him. I wonder where else she could be?

Matthew searched the room, but could not see her. Eventually he realised that the quickest way to find her would probably be to ask her husband, as distasteful as he might find that to be. He gathered up his nerves and spoke to the imposing figure.

“Good evening, Your Grace,” said Matthew. “How have you been?”

“I am well, thankyou,” said the duke, “although my lady is not so well. Unfortunately she couldn’t come tonight because of it.”

“Oh.” Matthew was dejected. Why must everyone be ill? “I hope she recovers soon.”

“And how are you, Lord Matthew?” the duke asked.

“I am well, thankyou, Your Grace,” Matthew said. “I hope you enjoy your evening.” He bowed and turned to head off, but the duke interrupted him.

“Tell me, how is your friend?”

“Geoffrey?” Matthew paused. “He’s as well as can be expected, I think. The treatment’s tough on him.”

“Treatment?”

“For the vampire bite.” Matthew wondered at the wisdom of telling Wulf about Geoffrey, but the vampire attack was common knowledge.

“Did he drink the vampire’s blood?” Wulf asked, leaning uncomfortably close to Matthew.

“Drink the blood? I don’t know,” Matthew said, confused by the question. “The priest just said it was treatment for the bite.”

“So he didn’t drink the blood?” the duke was insistent.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so.”

“What is the treatment?”

Matthew stepped back. “It’s not my place to talk about it.”

“Tell me.” The duke’s pale gaze caught Matthew’s. Despite their washed-out appearance, the duke’s eyes held enormous power. Matthew suddenly found himself enveloped with fear. Suddenly the only thing that mattered was getting that gaze away from him. “Tell me,” the duke repeated.

“They were giving him medicine and leeching his blood.”

“What medicine? How much blood?”

“It was quicksilver and garlic for the medicine. They took out a pint of blood. I think they do it every day.”

“Why?”

“To draw out the demon.” Matthew said.

With that, the duke broke his gaze. Matthew’s head cleared and he looked around. The conversation had drawn the attention of the entire party. Every head was turned towards the duke and him.

The duke immediately started striding towards Earl Paige. Matthew followed, the crowd leaving him plenty of space to do so. The duke stopped in front of the earl, and Matthew stood behind him, unsure of what was happening.

“You’re killing your son,” the duke said to the earl, anger brimming in his voice.

“How am I killing him, Eastlands?” Earl Paige sneered.

“With the ‘treatment’ he’s receiving. It’s not the way to treat a vampire bite. It will only kill him.”

“And I suppose you happen to know better than the priests,” said the earl. “One could wonder how you got this information.”

“Vampires are more common in the Eastlands than here,” the duke said. “Our folk tales are more accurate than your beliefs. If he did not drink the vampire’s blood then he harbours no demon.”

The earl looked from the duke to Matthew. “You seem to know a lot about my son’s condition for someone who is not welcome in my house. You also seem eager to dispute the knowledge of one of the senior members of the clergy. I won’t give your folk tales credence over Father Pontsfrey’s expertise.”

“I will not be held responsible for his death.”

“Are you willing to hand over the monster that attacked him, then?” the earl asked. “Other than the treatment, it’s the only way he can be saved.”

“I cannot do that,” said Duke Wulf. The anger in his voice faded, although he still did not sound like his usual emotionless self.

“Then don’t try to tell me what to do with my son.” Earl Paige began to walk past the duke. “I hope that this hasn’t altered our business arrangement.”

The duke shook his head. “No. I shall keep my end of the deal, so long as you keep yours.”

“That is good to hear,” said the earl. To Matthew he said, “I am disappointed to see that you have sided with him, when he is responsible for bringing the monster here.” With that, Earl Paige left. He briefly bid his host farewell and then departed.

The crowd began to move away. They kept away from Matthew and the duke – no one wanted to be associated to closely with them until the true consequences of the argument were known

“I brought no monster here,” Wulf said to no one in particular, although Matthew was the only one who heard.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Wow. And so the plot thickens...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Very articulate. Can't wait for the scenes to get bloody and sensual.
Archived into .war files and bookmarked for safe keeping.

Give us another great read soon.

Pascal
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The plot thickens indeed...fascinating.
JADAFETWA
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Oooh. Just when you thought the plot was as think as it was going to get, I add some flour.

Enjoy the show.

VII

After Earl Paige left, the party quickly died out. Duke Wulf excused himself, saying he had business to attend in town. He was not the first to do so, and with him gone, Matthew suddenly found himself without allies. Already it seemed that popular opinion was favouring the powerful local over the unknown duke from a region so remote that it barely registered among others as being a part of the kingdom. Because of Matthew’s part in the argument, he had been associated with the duke, and even those he considered to be friends were avoiding him.

Matthew soon left the party, despite the early hour. With no one willing to talk to him, there was little point in staying. He had planned to ride home with a friend, however now that he appeared to be shunned, he had no transport home. He wandered the streets aimlessly for a while, wondering how he could get out of this situation. He had no quarrel with Duke Wulf, but on the other hand Geoffrey had been his closest friend for most of his life.

He broke out of his reverie as his foot ran into something soft. He looked down and saw two pale corpses – transients. To encounter three dead in two weeks was not unheard of, although it was unusual in a mild winter such as this one. Matthew kicked one of the corpses and it rolled over slightly, revealing twin puncture marks on its neck. A small amount of blood still dripped out of the wounds – these were fresh wounds. He shivered as he thought of the vampire that was on the loose. What had he been thinking, wandering around alone after dark? With worse luck, it could have been him lying there, and not these men. Perhaps it was best to go home.

He looked up and took stock of where he was. On the opposite side of the street was the townhouse where the duke and duchess were saying. Matthew looked around. There was nobody in the street. He could quite easily go into the building now, when no one could see him. If Eastlands was telling the truth about the business in town, then Matthew had a chance to speak to Lucinda without him. And he thought, perhaps they will be kind enough to lend me a carriage to return home.

He crossed the street and knocked on the door. For a long time, there was no answer, and Matthew began to worry that there was nobody home. Then, finally, the door opened, revealing not the duke’s reserved butler as Matthew expected, but rather the tiny figure of the duchess.

“Oh!” Lucinda gasped. “Matthew! I didn’t expect to see you. Come in.” She ushered him inside and offered him a seat in the small parlour off the entrance hall.

“Lucinda,” Matthew said. “I heard you were ill. What are you doing out of bed?”

“I was hungry, so I came down to eat.”

“Shouldn’t your servants do that for you?” Matthew asked.

“They left.” Lucinda said.

“So you’re alone? But what about the vampire?” Matthew asked. “Don’t you feel unsafe with it here?”

Lucinda laughed. “Oh, no. I don’t feel unsafe at all. In any case, a vampire must be invited into your home before it can enter.”

Matthew frowned. Lucinda was from the Eastlands, and she probably knew more about vampires than the people of the city, but he still didn’t like her trusting her safety to folklore. “If you say so,” he said. “But if you ever feel as though you need my help, come to me and I’ll protect you.”

“Are you inviting me into your house?” Lucinda asked.

“Yes,” said Matthew. “Whenever you want.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re beautiful,” said Matthew, “and the last thing I want is to see you hurt.”

He leaned over and gently kissed her on the cheek before sitting back up. He felt a shiver down his spine as he felt the cool texture of her skin on his lips. Lucinda looked at him, eyes opened wide in surprise. It’s generally the duke who does that to her, Matthew thought. He was struck with a sudden rush of jealousy as he realised everything the duke got that he didn’t.

“You look so perfect,” he said, stroking her cheek. “Why do you have to be married? It’s not fair.”

“Why isn’t it fair?” Lucinda asked. “He’s all I could ask for in a husband. He cares for me more than he cares for his own life.”

“It’s not fair, because I love you,” Matthew said intensely. “And it’s just wrong that you’re married to a man who’s old enough to be your grandfather.” I care for you more than he does. He cannot appreciate you enough. Only I could do that.

“Matthew…”

“It breaks my heart every time I think about you,” he said. “How could you do this to me?”

“I was married long before I knew who you were,” Lucinda said. “I did nothing to you.”

“You’re doing it to me now,” Matthew pleaded with her. “I need to be close to you. Please.”

He leant forward again and for a brief moment his lips met hers. Lucinda pulled back and her hands pushed him away with surprising strength.

“No,” she said. “My husband might return home at any moment now.”

“Let him,” Matthew said. “I don’t care. I want you too much.” He pushed forward again.

“I said, ‘No.’” Lucinda stood up sharply. “Please, go.”

Matthew stood up and bowed stiffly. “As you wish. I apologise for my behaviour if it may have offended you.”

“Thankyou,” said Lucinda softly.

Matthew smiled. “Remember, my offer is still open. I will be your friend, I will protect you, I will put you first, always. I promise.”

“Thankyou.”

Matthew leaned over and kissed Lucinda’s cheek and embraced her before leaving to walk home. If she was stiff and wooden in his arms, he didn’t notice. Being so close to her was enough to make it feel like heaven to him.

Comments please!

EDIT: I noticed a typo. Typo is now corrected.
Last edited by Lusankya on 2005-06-05 02:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Darth Wong
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It find (not something I would normaly read, but not bad)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmmm, that Lucinda, does she have a reflection?

Very nice. I'm jealouse at the long desciptive peices at the start, I can never get them work for longer than a few lines. :P
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Well, Matthew hasn't seen Lucinda in the vicinity of a mirror yet. :P

But tell me, what do you think of Matthew now?
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I know that everyone wants Kaya Suln, but nuts to you! I happen to like this chapter.

VIII

Overnight, Geoffrey died.

The news spread through the city quickly. One of their most beloved youths had been taken from them. When Matthew heard, he headed immediately to Geoffrey’s house, to see for himself the corpse of his friend.

When he arrived, the gatekeeper refused to let him in. “I’m sorry, my Lord,” he said, “but the earl said that you were not welcome here anymore.”

“But Geoffrey is dead!” Matthew said. “Surely I can see him one last time.”

“I’m sorry, my Lord,” the gatekeeper said. “I’m just following my orders.”

Matthew was left, helplessly looking at the gate of the Paige mansion as other lords and ladies went in to pay their respects to Geoffrey. He left as the sombre figure of Father Pontsfrey arrived with several other senior members of the clergy.

When he returned home, he found a message for him, from Duke Wulf. It read:

Dear Master Portsmouth,

I understand that your friend, Geoffrey Paige has passed away. You have my condolences for your loss. It was an unnecessary death.

I apologise for brining you into my dispute with the Earl. I hope it has not prevented you from sharing your grief in the way you would like. I believe it would be in your own best interest to stay away from my house in the future. It is probable that the popular opinion will favour Earl Paige over me, and I have no intention of alienating you for the sake of an argument that is essentially mine.

Yours sincerely,

Remus Fitzpatrick Jonathan Tennyson Wulf, Duke Eastlands

Matthew sighed. Not only was he unable to pay his respects to Geoffrey, but now he was separated from Lucinda as well. He wondered how he could devise some kind of excuse to see her without anyone else finding out.

As he mused he saw a carriage coming up to his door. Whoever they were, they were probably here to see his father. He doubted that anyone would want to visit him today.

He was surprised when the occupant of the carriage turned out to be Chantal. Of all the people to be visiting his father, she was the last that he would have expected. His father loathed gossipy, flighty creatures like her. Matthew agreed with him. While Chantal may have made a fashionable ornament, she really had little else to recommend her. For some reason that he could not understand, she had always attempted to court him, despite his constant rebuttals.

After admitting Chantal, the butler came to tell Matthew that he had a guest. Matthew went to the foyer, wondering why she would be seeing him.

Chantal stood in the centre of the foyer, dried tears marring her complexion. “Oh! It’s terrible, Matthew,” she said. “What’s happened to Geoffrey.”

“I already know he’s dead,” Matthew said.

“It’s worse than that,” said Chantal.

Matthew froze. Geoffrey was already dead. What could be worse than that?

Chantal swept forward and clasped Matthew’s hands. “The priests have declared that the demon is still inside him.” She burst into tears. “They say he can’t be buried in a churchyard… he’s going to hell!”

“That can’t be true!” Matthew pushed Chantal away, sending her sprawling on the floor. She looked up at him in shock, but her expression hardly registered. “Why are you saying this? Don’t you have enough to gossip about?” He stepped towards her menacingly.

Chantal cowered on the floor. “It’s… it’s true,” she said. “I just thought…”

“You thought nothing,” said Matthew. “You thought that you wanted to see me, so you came. You weren’t thinking about me at all. You’re selfish and arrogant if you think that I’d want to see you, of all people when my best friend has just died.” He turned away from the quivering woman on the floor.

“I’m sorry,” she said to his back.

“Your apology is worthless to me,” he replied as he left the room. “Just like you.”

Three days later, Geoffrey’s funeral was held in a sombre fashion. The cursed body could not be buried on consecrated ground, so the funeral procession made its way out of the city grounds, away from the city’s large cathedral.

Matthew followed behind the procession, wishing that he could have stayed with it where he belonged, at its head. Unfortunately the earl still saw Matthew as an enemy and had refused him even a token role at the funeral.

The procession made its way up a hill and finally stopped in the centre of a large field of graves that was generally reserved for those too poor to be buried in the city proper. Earl Paige had paid artisans to get to work, and a small tomb was almost completed there. Signs barring evil from exiting adorned the walls and brackets were set upon it, ready to support the gargoyles that would decorate it.

Matthew found a vantage point above the tomb to watch the funeral. Most of the nobility were there. Duke Wulf was a notable exception, but with the bad blood between him and the earl, this was no surprise. Chantal stood at the front of the crowd, looking reserved. She looked up at him and caught his eye for a second before turning away.

Geoffrey’s coffin was taken into the tomb. Matthew felt a pang of regret as he realised that he should be one of those pallbearers. The pallbearers exited the tomb and a priest – Matthew thought that it might be the Exorcist, Father Ponstfrey – began to pray. Unlike the peaceful chants of those who died in God’s embrace, this was a harsher prayer, one designed not to speed a soul to rest, but to protect those who remained from its fury.

As he finished his prayer, the priest took out a piece of chalk and scrawled a symbol in the doorway to the tomb. Then he stood back and the doors were closed, ending the last chapter of Geoffrey's time on Earth.
- Darth Wong
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You keep hammering this chapter out like theres no tomorro don'tcha?
I like but am hard pressed to come up with any more meaningful comments than that, :P
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Crazedwraith wrote:You keep hammering this chapter out like theres no tomorro don'tcha?
I like but am hard pressed to come up with any more meaningful comments than that, :P
If by that you mean this chapter absolutely sucks for every character concerned, then thankyou, I guess.
- Darth Wong
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lusankya wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:You keep hammering this chapter out like theres no tomorro don'tcha?
If by that you mean this chapter absolutely sucks for every character concerned, then thankyou, I guess.
No, its good. I'm just not good at finding new and exciting ways of saying it.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

What I meant was that the chapter's not really pleasant for the actual characters in it. Matthew's not having a pleasant time, Chantal doesn't have a pleasant time, Geoffrey definitely doesn't have a pleasant time...

I kinda feel like I'm cheating a bit, though. With Matthew acting like this, I don't have to make up new conversations; I just have to remember ones that I've had in the past and then tone them down a little so they don't seem too outrageous.
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Ah ha! I'm back, and I have not been lazy. I've written some more of this, and something else, but I'm not showing you that because you don't appreciate this. Ha ha! :P

Act Two

I

Sunday was the day for church, and Geoffrey went unenthusiastically, expecting there to be no one willing to talk to him. He thought that he could have perhaps reacted a bit better when Chantal came to see him. She may have been tiresome, but she was the only person who had come to see him since Earl Paige had turned against him.

Matthew surveyed the crowd as he entered the cathedral. He was one of the last to arrive and the pews were already almost full. People who only rarely attended the services, or who attended smaller churches in the city had come today, as a reaction to the untimely death of one of their own. Geoffrey thought he could see Earl Paige sitting near the front of the church, and debated speaking to him. Duke Wulf was absent, but he had not attended church – well, the cathedral at least – since he had arrived, so that was not surprising.

Before Geoffrey could gather the courage to go to the front of the cathedral to speak to the earl, a hush came over the congregation as a dark-robed figure stood behind the lectern. For some reason, the Bishop was not giving the sermon today. Instead, Father Pontsfrey stood in his place.

The crowd murmured as Matthew quietly took a seat at the back of the church. “Where’s the bishop?” asked the man next to him. Matthew shrugged. The bishop had never failed to give the sermon before, even during the height of the plague.

“My people,” Father Pontsfrey began, “it is my unfortunate duty to share with you the heartbreaking news that Archbishop Caldiff died last night, holding…”

The crowd’s murmuring got louder. The bishop was relatively young, and was quite fit. That he should die so suddenly, without warning was an ill omen.

“… the blessed cross against his chest,” Father Pontsfrey continued. “It is almost certain that this is the work of the foul monsters that have been roaming the streets these past weeks. It seems that in the attack, his soul threw off the demon that was infused within him, but sadly he was not strong enough to survive the attack on his body. Let us pray for him…”

Father Pontsfrey continued with the sermon. The exorcist’s calm seemed surreal. Archbishop Caldiff, one of the leading figures in the church in recent times, was dead and save for the content of the sermon, Father Pontsfrey was acting as though nothing was amiss. The contrast between the short, white-robed bishop that Matthew remembered and the tall Exorcist in black robes could also not be ignored. Even the dark preachings of the Exorcist seemed unusual next to the bishop’s more uplifting sermons.

Matthew brought his attention back to the sermon and realised that his mind had been wandering for most of the sermon. Most of the crowd had stopped their murmuring and were listening to Father Pontsfrey. Despite being thrust into the spotlight unexpectedly, he gave a good speech. Had he not had his own problems, Matthew would have been hanging onto every word.

“There are those among us,” Father Pontsfrey was saying, “who, in their quest for fortune will forsake their souls and those of their family. Only those devoted to God, who put their souls before the illusion of the material world will be able to overcome the demons. All others will be forsaken, their souls consigned to hell. There are those here today who”

A commotion came from the front of the cathedral. Matthew craned his head to see what was going on, but soon realised that he didn’t have to. Earl Paige was walking up the aisle, his face red with anger. Following behind him was his young wife, looking confused and scared. Several lords, close allies of the Earl, quickly left after him. Meanwhile, Father Pontsfrey continued with the sermon, barely sparing the deserters a glance.

After the service Father Pontsfrey greeted the remaining churchgoers outside of the church. Matthew tried his best to stay inconspicuous, but Father Pontsfrey noticed him and beckoned him over.

“It’s good to see you here, Master Portsmouth,” Said the Exorcist. “It saddened me that you were not welcome at your friend’s funeral. I know you were close to him, and I feel that your prayers could provide some solace to his soul. Perhaps you could take some time to pray at his grave. It would do him good.”

“What about his family?”

“I do not trust their motives. I believe that the Earl knew the identity of young Geoffrey’s attacker, but withheld it from me for some reason. And because of that, I could not even save his soul. With such bad grace from those who should care for his soul the most, he had no chance of throwing off the vampire’s demon.”

“Are vampires so bad? The duke said…”

“The people of the Eastlands are ignorant. They’re barely a step above barbarians with their superstition. It’s a shame that even an intelligent man like the duke can come to believe it.” The Exorcist grimaced. “If you would believe them, monsters are beings to be tolerated, even respected. In some parts of that region, vampires even take the place of local barons, and the people simply accept it. It’s disgusting.”

“Why?”

“Of all the demons that walk the earth, those that walk in human guise are the most insidious. They hide among us and steal our souls with only the most alert noticing. At least the ones that look monstrous are easy to recognise for what they are.”

Matthew shivered. He looked at the faces around him, all speaking in hushed voices and hiding the true thoughts of their owners. Could any of them be a demon?

“So, do you know who will be the next bishop?” he asked, changing the topic. Even if there were monsters on the loose, he would rather not talk about them.

“I cannot say,” said Father Pontsfrey. “All I am sure of is we will need a leader who is prepared to protect the city from the demons that are invading. Two people have died within days of each other as a result of the vampire, and I am certain that more will follow. It must be getting bold if it is prepared to strike at the heart of the church. We must be vigilant.”

“I will, Father,” said Matthew. He bowed as he left the priest. He wondered if what the Exorcist said was true. If it was, and the church was preparing to fight demons, then the city would enter a new stage of its history.
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

More....

II

Taking Father Pontsfrey’s advice, Matthew went to visit Geoffrey’s grave late that afternoon. He arrived as the sky began to go grey. Next time I’ll leave earlier, he thought. The tomb was almost complete now. The wicked faces of the gargoyles faced down towards him, their long, curved tongues licking their lips. “Just what I need,” Matthew said, looking at them. “More monsters.”

He walked up to the door of the tomb and absently ran his finger over the faded chalk sigil that Father Pontsfrey had inscribed. That mark, and the carvings around it held Geoffrey’s soul inside the tomb. Matthew made the sign of the cross over the door and said a short prayer. He sighed and sat down on the steps to the tomb and looked over the city. It was strange how empty his life seemed without Geoffrey. He had been dead less than a week, but already life seemed to be lonely.

He jumped as he heard a soft footstep by the side of the tomb. Panic briefly rushed through his head. What was I thinking, going into this cemetery alone, with nothing to protect me? He grabbed a loose piece of plaster and waited for whatever it was to come.

The footsteps came closer, but remained soft. At least it’s not big, Matthew thought. He held his plaster tightly. The last thing he wanted was to lose his weapon. He prepared himself to face the monster that was coming.

Before the monster rounded the corner, the footsteps stopped. Matthew waited for a few minutes, listening, waiting for them to resume, but they didn’t. Something flapped around his head and he fended it off with his plaster. He laughed as it flew off – he was getting all worked up over a bat. He dropped his improvised weapon and sat back down. It was almost completely dark now. He could see the wealthy sections of the city lit up more brightly than the stars. He had never realised how beautiful it looked from up here. It was as though someone had drawn a map of light over the city.

He heard movement again around the side of the tomb. The footsteps had started again! Matthew fumbled around on the ground frantically for his shard of plaster. Where was it? He got on his hands an knees and ran his hands over the step near him He felt his shard and in his haste to pick it up, knocked his weapon away. He looked up as the monster rounded the corner. It was very short, and it appeared in the darkness to be more or less human. Perhaps it was the vampire! Matthew shuddered. He didn’t want to be the next victim.

“Matthew?” the soft voice from the monster was inquiring. “What are you doing?”

Matthew felt confusion as he recognised the voice. “Lucinda?” He stood up and dusted himself off. “I just dropped something. What are you doing here? Is it healthy with your illness?

“I’m fine tonight.”

“But what are you doing here?”

“Oh,” said Lucinda, “I feel as though I’m responsible for him being here, so I came.”

“Why? You didn’t kill him.”

“No, you’re right. I didn’t. Thankyou.”

Lucinda placed a small parcel at the door to the tomb and came to stand next to Matthew.

“What was that?” Matthew asked.

“It’s supposed to protect those who were taken by vampires. I don’t think it works though.”

“Hmmm,” Matthew nodded in agreement. “The city’s beautiful at night, isn’t it?”

“It is. The night is always beautiful.”

“It’s dangerous, though.”

“Only if you don’t belong in it.”

Matthew looked at her silhouette in the darkness. It was such a strange comment coming from her. He was about to ask her about it, when he was her small frame shiver.

“You must be cold,” he said, putting his coat over her shoulders. “Let’s get you home.”

“That’s probably a good idea,” Lucinda said weakly. “I’m beginning to feel a bit sick.”

Matthew led her down the hill towards the city. As they went through the streets, Lucinda got more and more feeble.

“I’m hungry,” she said.

“Just hold on, you’re almost home,” Matthew coaxed her on. He felt guilty of the way he enjoyed the way her weakness made her lean on him more and more as they approached her house.

“We’re here,” he said as they reached Lucinda’s door.

“Thankyou,” she said, leaning into his chest. Surprised, Matthew wrapped his arms around her. She looked up at him, licking her parted lips.

So she does want me! Matthew leant his head down to meet her kiss, but the moment was broken as a carriage rolled up to the door. Out of it came Duke Wulf, who sternly took stock of the scene.

“What’s happening here?” he asked.

“She’s ill,” Matthew said. “She says she’s hungry.”

“She’s sick?” The duke looked at Lucinda worriedly. “Oh, honey,” he said, scooping her up in his arms. “Why do you have to be sick?” He kissed her gently on the forehead.

Matthew turned his head away. He didn’t want to see the duke and his wife in any kind of intimacy.

“Thankyou for bringing her home,” the duke said. “My carriage will take you home. We don’t want the vampire to get you.” Matthew thought he heard a small laugh from the duke as he entered his house. What can he find amusing on a night like this?

Matthew shivered in the cold. Lucinda still had his coat, he realised. Ah well. I can return tomorrow to collect it. He smiled at the thought. As he entered the carriage, he was whistling.
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Oooh. Political intrigue.

III

“You have indeed been sorely mistreated by the Earl and his faction. It doesn’t surprise me. They – and the Earl in particular – would even deal with demons if it meant they could gain wealth.”

Matthew shifted in his seat nervously. Father Pontsfrey had summoned him to the Bishop’s residence, seemingly in order to complain about Earl Paige. The luxurious mansion was reserved for the use of the current Archbishop – whoever that might be – and should have been empty, however the Exorcist already seemed to be taking charge of the household. Despite his austere clothing, he seemed comfortable in the old bishop’s opulent study. Matthew hadn’t realised that the Exorcist was so well-placed in the church’s hierarchy.

There seemed to be a lot of bad blood between the Earl and the priest. It seemed surprising that the Exorcist would have treated the son of a man he detested so much. Unless the bad blood sprang up afterwards, Matthew thought.

“Why do you hate the Earl so much?” Matthew asked.

“He knew the identity of the vampire that killed your friend. I have no doubt about this. For some reason he would not tell us who it was, and the only reason I can think of that he would not is that he was paid off somehow, by some devilish pact.” The priest looked at Matthew with piercing eyes. “Those who harbour and protect demons are no better than the monsters themselves. If the Earl knew who the vampire was, then he is a murderer and a heretic.”

“Who did he murder?”

“His son, of course.”

“But I thought it was the vampire that killed Geoffrey.”

“Not entirely. Had we been able to find the vampire and destroy it, then we would have had no need of the treatment which, unfortunately, rarely saves the victim’s body along with their soul. No, the Earl’s actions killed your friend as much as the vampire’s bite.

“I dread to think what will happen if the Earl remains so influential. If it won’t be long until the whole city is as corrupt as he. Someone needs to stop him.” Father Pontsfrey leaned closer to Matthew. “He plans to place a spineless fool in the seat of the diocese,” he whispered confidentially. “A puppet who will make him rich and powerful while the city rots beneath him. Today vampires live freely among us. Who knows what foul creatures will walk the streets after the Earl is done.”

Matthew sighed. The Exorcist was ranting again. “What do you want me to do about it?”

Father Pontsfrey’s eyes lit up. “There will be a public discussion on the appointment of the new bishop. I want you to remind the Earl’s allies that he shunned you – his son’s closest friend – so quickly when he associated you with the Duke of the Eastlands. If he would turn on you so readily, they must realise that he will turn on them even more swiftly.”

“You mean a speech? I couldn’t do that.”

“Oh, you needn’t worry about what to say. I’ve already written it for you.”

“No, it’s not that,” Matthew hesitated. “Geoffrey was my friend. It just doesn’t seem right to speak against his father.”

Pontsfrey smiled. “You have a good heart, Master Portsmouth, however keep in mind that Earl Paige is responsible for his death. It is not disloyal to your friend to speak against him.”

Matthew frowned. The Exorcist knew more of the details of Geoffrey’s illness than anyone else, so if he said that Geoffrey could have been saved, then it was probably true. Still, Matthew had always respected the Earl, and what Father Pontsfrey was suggesting went against his inclination.

“He’s the one who’s isolating you,” Father Pontsfrey said. “If you help me, then I can help you. And I can overlook your meetings with a certain married lady.”

“What? Who?”

“Don’t think your visits to Lady Eastlands have gone unnoticed.”

“Oh. Well… I haven’t – I mean, not really…” Matthew stammered.

“Of course, I’m sure you haven’t done anything inappropriate,” the Exorcist said, “but will her husband see it that way?”

Matthew looked down at his hands. As much as he would like it to be otherwise, he had done very little with Lucinda. Indeed, he had barely seen her. Her illness kept her away from most social events. But if the Duke ever found out how Matthew felt about her, then he would not even be allowed the brief visits that he occasionally stole.

“So, what do you want me to say?”

“It’s written here.” Father Pontsfrey handed him a folded piece of paper. Matthew opened it and read through it. It attacked the character of Earl Paige much more than he would have liked, but what choice did he have? It was either read this speech to a gathering of lords or lose any chance of seeing Lucinda again.

“‘It was not only the Duke of the Eastlands who was spurned by the Earl. I myself became his enemy through no fault of my own. I have been a friend of his family for the entirety of my life, yet he turned on me in a moment. To allow him to influence your choice… would be inviting treachery into your midst.’ Why can’t you say this?”

“They will think I have my own reasons for saying it.”

“And won’t you?”

“I only seek what is best for the city. We need someone who will not compromise when protecting the people from evil. The church has become too complacent and we are now paying the price. Demons walk among us, and unless something is done, they will continue to do so. I need to make sure that doesn’t happen.” The priest’s eyes glowed with the passion of his words. He had spent his life fighting evil spirits and seemingly it was his calling. Whether he was right or wrong, there was no doubt that he believed in what he did.

Yes, people, I'm afraid that Matthew does have Jar Jar's will save.
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

This is the last chapter that I wrote while I was away. I know it looks like I've been slack, but I've written almost 10,000 words of my other one(the one I'm not showing you) since I finished this, so I think I've been mildly productive. :) I hope you enjoy reading it.

IV

The week passed, and Father Pontsfrey was elected Archbishop by the slimmest of margins. Somehow, Earl Paige was waylaid and missed the vote, and rumours abounded that had he been present the result may have been different. Matthew had given his speech the night before but was unsure of its effect. Several lords came to speak to him after the meeting, which he took as a good sign.

The newly-elected Archbishop accepted his post with a fiery speech, promising to find and eradicate the demons that “infested the city”, but no one expected him to effect any real changes. Matthew was visiting Lucinda, playing cards under the watchful eye of the Duke, when he first began to realise just how wrong that assumption was.

The Duke’s house was more relaxed than usual. It had been two days since Lucinda had last had a fainting fit. It pleased Matthew that her health was improving, although he was disappointed that he would be losing the opportunity to look after her.

A knock came at the door, which the Duke was required to answer – he still had not recalled his servants. Matthew and Lucinda both followed behind and peered into the lobby to see who was calling, unbidden, so late at night.

Three indistinct figures stood in the doorway. Matthew couldn’t make them out. “What do you want?” the Duke asked sternly.

“We come from the Archbishop –” one figure began.

“I don’t answer to him,” the Duke said. “He knows we follow the Orthodox faith.”

“We are here on the Archbishop’s orders,” the same person, Matthew assumed that it was a priest continued. “We are to search every house for signs of the vampire.”

“Not my house. I will not have him dictating to me.”

“I have orders to search every house.”

“And I am not allowing you to enter mine. Your bishop has no authority here.”

“There are Orthodox churches here, and their priests have allowed us to search their premises.”

“That is their business, not mine. I will not allow you to search my house.”

“I have my orders, Your Grace, and I intend to carry them out.” Matthew was amazed that the priest was still standing his ground. The Duke was formidable, and Matthew was intimidated while he was just standing behind him.

“Let’s go back, this looks like it will take a while.” Matthew started as Lucinda whispered in his ear.

“You’re right,” Matthew said, looking over to where the Duke was still arguing with the priest. He followed her back into the lounge and sat down as she began to deal out th.e cards

“Why doesn’t he just let them search the house?” Matthew asked. “You’re not actually hiding the vampire, are you?”

Lucinda shrugged. “It’s his house. He’s accustomed to privacy.”

“Nobody ever checks on his activities?”

“Not back home.” Lucinda said. She gestured to the cards. “It’s your turn.”

Matthew picked up his cards and studied them. It was a poor hand, but in the game they were playing, that could be changed with luck and skill. He smiled at Lucinda and played his cards. If he could play them right, he still had a chance of winning.

Matthew arrived home late and was surprised to find his father still up waiting for him, wearing that grim expression that had always boded ill for Matthew.

“I’ve been speaking to Edmund Yentsford,” he said.

Matthew gulped. Yentsford was Chantal’s uncle, and the head of her family. She hasn’t been slandering me, has she? “What about?”

“I’m certain you know his niece, she’s about your age.”

“Chantal?”

“Yes. That’s the one. We’ve been talking lately about the prospect of you and her marrying.”

“What?” said Matthew.

“The talks were put on hold for a while after you had your fall out with the Paige family,” his father continued, “but he spoke to me today about hastening the wedding.” He raised one eyebrow. “It seems that the new Archbishop is rather fond of you, and that could prove useful.”

“Useful? Why?” Matthew asked. “And why Chantal? Have you met her? Do you know what she’s like? If you met her, you’d hate her.”

“Did you want to marry for love? It’s foolishness. I certainly didn’t marry your mother because I liked her,” his father said. “You’re marrying her so we can have ties with the Yentsford family. God only knows that after you set the Paiges on us, we need allies.”

“I did not –”

“And as for the Archbishop, he’s turning the city on end. The members of the Paige faction apparently had most of their belongings destroyed by priests searching for the vampire. They barely touched us. The Archbishop said he was certain you would tell him if you knew of the vampire.”

“He was here?”

“Just briefly. He suggested that I find a wife for you soon. He was worried that you might get carried away with the wrong kind of woman otherwise.”

“He did?”

“Yes. The Yentsford offer was quite timely, really.”

“Does it have to be Chantal? Can’t it be someone else?”

“It’s been decided already. You will marry her on the second of February.”

“But that’s only two weeks away! Shouldn’t we have a proper engagement?”

“As I said, the plans have been hastened.”

“But –”

“No buts.”

“But –”

“But nothing. Just be graceful on your wedding day. I’m asking you to marry her, not to like her.”

The father and son glared at each other in a contest of wills. Eventually Matthew broke his gaze.

“Yes, sir,” he said.

“That’s good,” his father said. “I hope you’ll be more cheerful when it’s officially announced.”

“Yes, sir,” Matthew meekly agreed with his father, feeling a much more morose and unhappy man than he had been before the conversation.
- Darth Wong
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

aaargh. I wish I could write that much. :D Now to attempt to wade through all that...