Split from ROTS Revelations

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Cal Wright wrote:These are revelations from the novel as I read it. Hardcover of course.

As a note, some of this stuff might have previously appeared in the EU, but is now high tier cannon so it bears mentioning.

-snip

pg349
The clones follow orders. Withough malic, hatred or ill will the Jedi do not perceive thier intent. This coupled with the darkness clouding the Force.
This works quite well alongside the NJO, where in the early stages, the Jedi were heavily handicapped by the fact that they couldn't sense the intent of their Vong opponents. Which shows that the Jedi have a dangerous, and recurring tendancy to be overly reliant on sensing hostile intents of individuals.
Mange the Swede wrote:
Petrosjko wrote:Another one that occurred to me recently-

Jedi obviously are big on going down with their ships. No Jedi that we've seen yet wears any kind of a flight suit, and obviously could not eject from their craft outside of the atmosphere as a result.
Good observation... Well, an ordinary person could stay conscious for about 10 seconds in a complete vacuum, less if there's a rapid decompression. Perhaps the Jedi has some kind of survival technique.
The "Healing Hibernation" that has appeared in a few EU books?
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

IIRC, Grievous' feet crumpled the outer hull plating of his flagship. I wasn't sure what to make of it -- either he has exceptionally strong magnets for feet, or in-hull reinforcement fields were down, or a combination of those, or maybe I'm just grasping at straws.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I got the impression his feet landed on an access panel of some sort.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

For what it's worth, in the Clone Wars cartoon a jedi was able to cut through the bridge hull of another Providence-class ship with just a lightsaber, so it could just be the hull there is particularly thin and weak.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

For what it's worth, in the Clone Wars cartoon a jedi was able to cut through the bridge hull of another Providence-class ship with just a lightsaber, so it could just be the hull there is particularly thin and weak.
That strikes me as very odd, considering the Lucrehulk's bridge blast doors were able to hold of a lightsaber for a considerable amount of time. Why would the actual hull plate be weaker? :?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

An observation on Palpatine's lightsaber style- he appears to be fond of stabbing attacks, and pointing his saber right at his opponent. He is very agile, given his apparent age.

I wonder if he was using the Dark Side to cloud the perceptions of the Jedi who fought him at his office. The first three were cut down very easily.
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Sothis wrote:An observation on Palpatine's lightsaber style- he appears to be fond of stabbing attacks, and pointing his saber right at his opponent. He is very agile, given his apparent age.
Yes I noticed this as well. During his initial attack this was how he killed Agen Kolar. Then all his en guard positions seem to say "I'm gonna stab you good."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

From my third viewing: The Battle Droid blasters we see in TPM and AOTC are also full-auto capable- we see one battle droid fire a rapid stream of shots at Obi-Wan as he rides past it on Boga (right before the BD is destroyed, the BD is firing from an elevated balcony).

This leaves open the question of why ordinary BDs don't fire on full auto at Jedi all the time?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

Lord of the Farce wrote:The "Healing Hibernation" that has appeared in a few EU books?
I don't think so - while it can cut down greatly on the amount of oxygen and nutrients a Jedi needs on long trips, you still need to have an atmosphere present (Thrawn trilogy).

Maybe the reason they don't bother with pressure suits is the same reason they don't bother with armor for 99% of the time they're in combat (whatever that is, to be honest).
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

How's that so big? Maybe he parked his fleet a few seconds away from the planet, just outside of the range of any sensors the base had. Or are you bringing this up with the 100 (IIRC) lightyear sensor range in mind?
I believe they were still in orbit around Coruscant.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Sothis wrote:An observation on Palpatine's lightsaber style- he appears to be fond of stabbing attacks, and pointing his saber right at his opponent. He is very agile, given his apparent age.

I wonder if he was using the Dark Side to cloud the perceptions of the Jedi who fought him at his office. The first three were cut down very easily.
very easily as in didn't even try to block and got stabbed? That fight was just crap.
Johnny Ipcress
Redshirt

Post by Johnny Ipcress »

SpaceTeddyBear wrote:
I believe they were still in orbit around Coruscant.
The novelisation indicates that the Republic forces were on the planet itself. It seems Obi-Wan jumped to the system beforehand to have a head start in searching for Grievous, to allow the clones time to prepare and as a diversion for when the clones did attack.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The novelisation indicates that the Republic forces were on the planet itself. It seems Obi-Wan jumped to the system beforehand to have a head start in searching for Grievous, to allow the clones time to prepare and as a diversion for when the clones did attack.
Hmmm? They weren't on the planet at the same time Obi-Wan was, his R4 unit called them. His fleet jumped from Coruscant, as is seen when he departs the Vigilance in the film.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Yeah, but the novelisation goes into greater detail that they were to be in system waiting to pounce.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Pure Sabacc wrote:
That strikes me as very odd, considering the Lucrehulk's bridge blast doors were able to hold of a lightsaber for a considerable amount of time. Why would the actual hull plate be weaker? :?
You're kidding, right? Qui-Gon's lightsaber plunged straight through the blast door effortlessly!
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Connor MacLeod wrote:You're kidding, right? Qui-Gon's lightsaber plunged straight through the blast door effortlessly!
Yes, but since a lightsaber blade makes thin cuts, plunging through the door would mean actually breaking the bonds in only a tiny volume of material.
Cutting through the door required affecting a larger volume of material , and it's apparent that it took some effort for Qui-Gon and his lightsaber to accomplish this task.
Recall that the energy output of a lightsaber is limited.

Regardless, if it takes X amount of time to cut through a blast door, it doesn't make sense that it only takes a fraction of X to cut through the ship's hull. It's surprising that Saesee Tiin (sp?) cut so quickly through the hull of the ship that they hijacked in the Clone Wars series.

Crazedwrath wrote:very easily as in didn't even try to block and got stabbed? That fight was just crap.
Quite right. Agen Kolar just stood there and took it.

Let's review the sequence of selected events (correct any errors I make, please):
1) The Jedi Masters ignite their lightsabers and are presumably as ready as they'll ever be.
2) Sidious drops his lightsaber into his hand.
3) Sidious ignites his lightsaber.
4) Sidious jumps over his desk, spiralling through the air and going "RAAWRR!", to wake up any Jedi Masters just in case they were napping.
5) Sidious runs up to the Jedi.
6) Sidious draws his lightsaber back in what is obviously a wind-up for a stab.
7) Sidious stabs Agen Kolar, who didn't parry or evade because he was taken by surprise (!!!).
8 ) Cyke goes "WTF?" in the theatre.

I wonder if the choreography was done with the intention of showing that Sidious had clouded the minds of Mace's two meatshield Masters, or if they were just taken aback by his whipping out a lightsaber, even though they knew he was a Sith Lord.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

That fight blew, and the Windu-Palpatine fight wasn't much better. I was expecting to see Palpatine go whirlwind Dark Side give-into-your-hatred on their asses.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

HemlockGrey wrote:That fight blew, and the Windu-Palpatine fight wasn't much better. I was expecting to see Palpatine go whirlwind Dark Side give-into-your-hatred on their asses.
Yes, I expected more hissing and snarling.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Can it be, that Mace "forgot" to tell his fellow Jedi about Palpatine being a Sith? Either because he was shocked by Anakin's revealation or because he didn't trust him?

Palpatine might also have slowed down their reflexes and the rest might be the surprise at the sight of somebody trying to offer resistance (wouldn't be the first time, see Geonosis).
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

On the Arrest Scene:

I personally think that the scene would have made much more sense if Windu and the Masters had not known Palpatine was a Sith (As it was somehow implied in the trailer).

Still, we could save face... I mean.... argue... that Palpatine was indeed clouding the jedi senses and, as such, got them off guard. Remeber QuiGon's phrase "He sees things before they happen, that's why he seems to have such good reflexes". Without this short term precognition, the average Jedi just sits there like a headlamp-staring kitten. Appart from his fabled swordmanship, maybe Windu survived this first onslaught on the fact that the others got killed first.

And, let's not forget Jedi Arrogance (tm)! The Masters, Windu included, were probably thinking: "Ha! No way this old geezer is the Sith Lor.... WOAH!"
unsigned
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Also it's cannon that jedi\sith are ranked 1-10 with the difference between each rank increasing by an order of magnitude:

Sidious is level 9.x, Mace 9, Obi-Wan\Anakin8,
so it's probable that the Jedi masters were around level 7, making them far weaker than palpatine.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Petrosjko wrote:Another one that occurred to me recently-

Jedi obviously are big on going down with their ships. No Jedi that we've seen yet wears any kind of a flight suit, and obviously could not eject from their craft outside of the atmosphere as a result.
It was mentioned that in the AotC ICS or Visual Dictionary(forgot which), that most Jedi simply didn't bother with changing into and/or out of flight suits.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Also on the arrest scene, a theory that I have no idea whether the novelisation contradicts, since I haven't had a chance to read it yet:

What if Palpy had used a far more powerful version of the "Force Wall" skill than the Jedi are accustomed to, and it simply froze the Jedi Masters in place both from the direct effects of the ability, and utter disbelief that the "politician" could actually lock up their movement so thoroughly, which leaves them unable to fight off the effects in time? :?
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hrm.. that's a good point you raise, Lord of the Force.

Whether I'm a Jedi or not, if a politican bumrushed me I think I'd freeze in fear. Politicians are scary.

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Lord of the Farce wrote:Also on the arrest scene, a theory that I have no idea whether the novelisation contradicts, since I haven't had a chance to read it yet:

What if Palpy had used a far more powerful version of the "Force Wall" skill than the Jedi are accustomed to, and it simply froze the Jedi Masters in place both from the direct effects of the ability, and utter disbelief that the "politician" could actually lock up their movement so thoroughly, which leaves them unable to fight off the effects in time? :?
While the first part is possible, by this time the Jedi know that Palps is a Sith Lord.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]