Can you read music?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

How well can you read music?

Can't read a damn note.
19%
I could read it once, but not anymore. Maybe struggle through a little...maybe.
24%
I can read it somewhat, but have to stop to go through memory tricks for some notes.
23%
I can read music! I totally rock at reading either treble, bass, tenor, alto or neutral clef.
23%
I'm a musical genius and can read many clefs! Bwahaha! The world will be MINE!!
10%
Dun need no steenking music to play the spoons! [Other]
2%

Total votes: 62

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What's tab?
Tablature, for guitars basically a number over the string noting what fret to play.

I played piano, trumpet and clarinet when I was younger and was able to read notes, then in highschool moved on to guitar and mainly used tabs for convenience, I found it a bit messy without tabs.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I can read bass clef. Treble clef takes a little mental pre-processing. Alto clef fucks me up something fierce.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Time was, I was a trombonist who could read bass clef.

Not anymore.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Violin player I was long ago. Treble clef I can still read. :D
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Treble clef for life, yo.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I could read whatever was normal for your bog standard Clarinet (E-flat?) back in middle school (6th-8th grade). Which basically went from something like G up to, uh, whatever was pretty high. F?

Yeah, I can't remember offhand. Though I am confident I could play "Hot Cross Buns" if I had to. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I can read treble and alto fluidly, bass slowly, and tenor even more slowly (which may or may not make sense, because alto and tenor are damn near the same thing).
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

treble clef suckas' unite!

although it's more fun just to make shit up and jam. When you live with guitarists for years you end up forgetting how to read music well. That's because you are forced to memorize minor blues scales because all everyone ever wants to play is in a 12 or 24 bar blues format.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Eight years of saxophone. I started on Alto sax, and I'm now playing tenor. I'm also joining the marching band pit.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Used to read abit, when I played the Piano.

Now i'm a Music retard.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I can sort of read it. Treble and bass, at least. What is this alto and tenor thing you speak of? Is that those that looks like a big "B" (as opposed to the weirded out "G" that is the treble and backwards "C" for bass)?

Anyway, I can read notes, as in that I can figure out what a song will sound like when played. The only instrument I can play is the piano and keyboard (big difference), and maybe guitar, but I'm not very good at any of them. Self-taught. However, I do like to write notes and have the computer play it for me (it's much better at it than me, you see), and that's where I learned what the different notes sounds like.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I play classical guitar, so I can read treble clef pretty well, but I do not internalise them as their names (C, B-flat etc), but by their position on the guitar fingerboard. So if you point out a note on the score, I probably would hesitate a bit to tell you the note (especially if it has lots of leger lines), but I would have no probs playing the note on a guitar. 8)
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Ok, *scans everyone with teacher glare*, which one of you jokers picked the spoons option? :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Treble action, I used to play flute. I can't read bass for the life of me though.

Somewhat off-topic, but despite being able to read treble cleff just fine I find tabs to be infinitely more intuitive for guitar work. And like kheegan posted, I tend to refer by the frets rather than the notes.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Ok, *scans everyone with teacher glare*, which one of you jokers picked the spoons option?
*Hides behind music stand and violin to absorb glare* Wasn't me. I swear. :wink:

Oddly enough my old music teacher had glare so powerful, you can feel it piercing your soul without making first eye contact.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

i used to be able to play the saxaphone, but i've largely forgotten how to read music.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Darth_Zod wrote:i used to be able to play the saxaphone, but i've largely forgotten how to read music.
You've also forgotten how to spell the name of the instrument--it's saxophone. :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zaia wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:i used to be able to play the saxaphone, but i've largely forgotten how to read music.
You've also forgotten how to spell the name of the instrument--it's saxophone. :P
bah. a, o, same difference really. ;)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Yep yep! Go me! I'm good for something now!
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Does percussion count? I remember the notes and what not, it's just the which number means what at the beginning of a piece that eludes me right now. I despise anything where quarter notes become eights and they play at speed. DESPISE!
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Tasoth wrote:Does percussion count? I remember the notes and what not, it's just the which number means what at the beginning of a piece that eludes me right now. I despise anything where quarter notes become eights and they play at speed. DESPISE!
I explained time signatures earlier in this thread.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Played sax, trumpet. Not recently though...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I can play the Trombone and the Tuba fairly well, but I cant associate notes with positions or fingerings for crap. I either have to write them in or guess (I've gotten pretty good at it.)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Not anymore, I'm afraid. Although whether or not I could in the first place is debatable. Ah, woe is the former flutist.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I can read well enough in Treble, just don't give me anything too allegro. :wink:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."