Halo movie, set budget to big!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

tumbletom wrote:They should have the Covenent come to earth and have a mother of all battles with thousands of shits like the battle of coruscant. And then Master Chief comes in with sarge and goes "RAR!!!!" on them and rip the covenant to shreds with is bare pinky toe!!!!!!!!!
Typo of the Week. :D

Anyway, I'm glad that Microsoft is fighting to keep some creative control of the project. You know Hollywood would grab a hot young A lister and have him shirtless and face visible for Master Chief. And be involved in a love triangle between him, Cortana, and Captain Jacqueline Keyes. Probably a slapstick Gunt running around too.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Probably a slapstick Gunt running around too.
A grunt and a jackal to play the Laurel & Hardy characters.
The Great and Malignant
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Doom movie is situated on a planet named Olduvai (yeah, better than Hell or Mars) and involves, yes, a distress signal *cough*Alien*cough* and a group of scientists being killed by mutants.

So it is Resident Evil in space. Only that film also sucked because, guess what? They butchered the game's amazingly straight-forward plot too for Hollywood sexiness.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Well, I'm glad they'res actual progress being made on this, and I really hope that Hollywood doesnt screw with the story. I have high hopes, but such hopes are dashed far too often by the film industry. :?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Call me pessimistic, but the odds of any Halo movie being good is vanishingly small. There is absolutely no precedent for such a thing, it's likely everything Halo-y will be expunged, and we'll all end up thinking 'man, the Halo cinematics were better than this'. I'm actually hoping MS doesn't cave just to get an MS movie out (watch for eye-gougingly gloating 'microsoft movie ad' before the movie starts, ugh) - Halo is so trivially easy to fuck up.

It has never been done well, and I doubt it will start with Halo. Just wait till they release pics of the new, improved Staff Sergeant Armour!!! lolz :wink:
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Call me pessimistic, but the odds of any Halo movie being good is vanishingly small. There is absolutely no precedent for such a thing
If I recall correctly, there's also no precedent for the IP owner to demand so much creative control from so little monetary input.
The Great and Malignant
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It is an interesting commentary on the state of pop culture today when a board like this resoundly comes down on the side of Microsoft ( :shock: ) against Hollywood. And I'm proud to be one of them. Hollywood fucks up every good concept and then wonders why "video game features don't do well in the box office".

I've never even watched Halo being played and I'm instinctively defending it from the Hollywood butchers.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Microsoft only has a history of butchering operating systems and web browsers. Hollywood has a history of butchering EVERYTHING. It's like siding with Stalin against Hitler.
The Great and Malignant
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

SPOOFE wrote:Microsoft only has a history of butchering operating systems and web browsers. Hollywood has a history of butchering EVERYTHING. It's like siding with Stalin against Hitler.
It's funny because it's true...

Oh wait. It's not funny. But it's still true. SPOOFE's Boy Named Timmy posts gave me Harlan Ellison flashbacks.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

FFS....

If I was Microsoft, I would have sacrificed much more of the demands for the airline tickets and even cash, just to retain creative control. Sure start with the same opening position, but sacrifice EVERYTHING but that.

Bungie have created a remarkably coherent universe and the fans of the series who DO care about this. If you want to make money, the way to do it is not to screw it up and redefine HALO for your own ends...that will simply turn everyone away. You have to keep it true to the universe.

Not that I expect these idiots to understand that. Video games don't work as movies. Not because they CAN'T work. But because they fuck them up completly and everyone yawns, then walks away...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Hang on though- who the hell trusts Microsoft to do Halo properly anyway? Those fuckwits didn't make the game. It's Bungie or nothing.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Vympel wrote:Hang on though- who the hell trusts Microsoft to do Halo properly anyway? Those fuckwits didn't make the game. It's Bungie or nothing.
Microsoft owns Bungie.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Vympel wrote:Hang on though- who the hell trusts Microsoft to do Halo properly anyway? Those fuckwits didn't make the game. It's Bungie or nothing.
Bungie is 100% owned by Microsoft, they arent going to fuckup thier own highest selling console franchise ever.

And Bungie has gotten rather large budgets for the previous Halo games before hand, and we all know they are working on the next Halo game already.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I know Microsoft owns Bungie, but that doesn't mean shit. Since when does the publisher know dick about the game?
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Obviously Microsoft would give creative control to Bungie, which technically IS Microsoft...or something. Anyways, they're clearly very concenred with making the movie faithful to the game. Hell, I can feel the masturbations already coming on, talking about Halo...THE MOVIE. With MC wanktastic action *spasms*

Anyways, I expect that they'll give the project to Bungie, so they can focus their efforts on worl-I mean market domination. I mean, anyone with half a brain would give it to Bungie.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

wolveraptor wrote:Obviously Microsoft would give creative control to Bungie, which technically IS Microsoft...or something. Anyways, they're clearly very concenred with making the movie faithful to the game. Hell, I can feel the masturbations already coming on, talking about Halo...THE MOVIE. With MC wanktastic action *spasms*

Anyways, I expect that they'll give the project to Bungie, so they can focus their efforts on worl-I mean market domination. I mean, anyone with half a brain would give it to Bungie.
Wanktastic MC action my ass :lol:

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that even the more pedestrian claims in the HALO books are going to be shat all over, either from lazyness or from catering to the people who have played the game rather than read the books. It's just the way movies work.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Vympel wrote:I know Microsoft owns Bungie, but that doesn't mean shit. Since when does the publisher know dick about the game?
Bungie is a 1st party studio. This is like complaining when the team biulding Windows Media subsystem's work get represented as something done by Microsoft in the press.

There is no real distinction of were Bungie ends and the rest of Microsoft starts for people outside the company. Keep in mind it was "Microsoft" which biult the Xbox and is biulding the Xbox360, as well as developed Halo.

The one thing we do know is that any Halo work will interact heavily with the series Bible and personal responcible for the Halo story, aka Bungie personal.
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Vympel wrote:I bet you dollars to doughnuts that even the more pedestrian claims in the HALO books are going to be shat all over, either from lazyness or from catering to the people who have played the game rather than read the books. It's just the way movies work.
Why do you think Microsoft wants to retain complete creative control over how the movie is developed?
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Uh, the people who WROTE the books are likely to be involved in this project. Why the hell wouldn't they be, unless they're from outside Bungie. They'd obviously be involved in some aspect of the creative process.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

wolveraptor wrote:Uh, the people who WROTE the books are likely to be involved in this project. Why the hell wouldn't they be, unless they're from outside Bungie. They'd obviously be involved in some aspect of the creative process.
The novels and the games were based off the Halo franchise bible. The actual novel writers will probably not be directly involved. It is almost a given that there will be novelizations of the movie and posible some presequal books and sequal books to the movie.

The only real question is when all this stuff is going to come out.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Still, we may hear about Sam and Kelly and the other members of the John's kickass crew. *salivates*

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Why is this not in OSF?

EDIT: Now it is.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

wolveraptor wrote:Uh, the people who WROTE the books are likely to be involved in this project. Why the hell wouldn't they be, unless they're from outside Bungie. They'd obviously be involved in some aspect of the creative process.
IIRC, the script had to be based off of Bungie's HALO Bible, and they had a line-by-line say in the script.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

RedImperator wrote:Why is this not in OSF?

EDIT: Now it is.
It was news, then it gained a bunch of discusion about it.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Uh, the people who WROTE the books are likely to be involved in this project. Why the hell wouldn't they be, unless they're from outside Bungie.
Because Hollywood is pompous and clique-ish.... it's resistant to new blood because that usually puts someone else out of a job. So you start to get producers, directors, and screenwriters, all with their own solid network that they don't want to disrupt.

Ultimately, this creates the Hollywood Ego.... the belief among the disseparate individuals that work in the industry that they - the studios and all those connected with them - are the penultimate creative force in the universe. If they ever get their hands on any new material, they have to do it "their way", because any other way is inferior.

Think about it.... if you acquire the rights to a video game, what costumes do you have to design? None... they're there, in the game. Characters? Shit, the game has the characters. Set design? Just play the game. Storyboards? Use screenshots from the game engine, for fuck's sake!

But that's not good enough for Hollywood, no.... all THAT came from "outside", so they have to add "their own personal touch".... which usually drifts so far from the material that you wonder why they licensed the material to begin with.
The Great and Malignant