Halo movie, set budget to big!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Remember the first rule of film and theater, never put your own money into a project!

I'm glad for MS, They are sticking up for bungle, to get the film that bingle wanted. According to Frankie on the Weekly What's Update, He read a rough draft of the script and he was quite happy with it. So, I'm sufficiently pleased.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Quote:
Hollywood writers couldn’t even get Doom right, for Christ’s sake. Why would anyone trust them with something like Halo?

If Hollywood had its way, Halo will be about a little boy named Timmy, with no friends, who finds a magic Nintendo glove that takes him into movies and gives him a supersuit. The Covenant will be FBI agents that are coming to take him back to Area 51 for study, but they’re transformed... into Elites!! And there’s one guy, named Fred “Gruntie” Wallace... he gets transformed into a Grunt! And it’s FUNNY!
And the Plasma rifle is actually a ribbed vibrator, and the assault rifle is really Vern Troyer, and it hates women! And the Pillar of Autumn is the A-Team van!!
I really wish that didnt sound so plausible :shock:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

I’m glad for MS, They are sticking up for bungle, to get the film that bingle wanted. According to Frankie on the Weekly What’s Update, He read a rough draft of the script and he was quite happy with it. So, I’m sufficiently pleased.
Bungie.

Also which frank? Frank Miller?
The script was written for 1mil by the director of the beach, 28 days later so it should give the flood the full glorious credit they deserve :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

And the result is Street Fighter: The Movie: The Video Game. Ugh.

Even though I hate MS, hopefully they'll pull off the Halo movie properly.

Then I just need a properly done Metroid flick and Indy Jones 4 and my life is complete.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

skyman8081 wrote:Remember the first rule of film and theater, never put your own money into a project!

I'm glad for MS, They are sticking up for bungle, to get the film that bingle wanted. According to Frankie on the Weekly What's Update, He read a rough draft of the script and he was quite happy with it. So, I'm sufficiently pleased.
The ammusing thing is that Microsoft is really a compnay that CAN face off against the studios in a glaring match as they frankly outweigh them. I like for once getting a compnay to beat up on them....and few people beat up on other companies like Microsoft can.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Yeah, but surely by now they know that it only results in bad reviews and a loss of money? Aren't these dudes all about money, fame and hookers?
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

The typos of Bungie's name are an intentional jab at Red vs Blue.

As for the metroid flick, I'm kinda wondering how Planet Zebes got a bunch of white doves, but it should still be awesome with John Woo as the director.

Frankie is Bungie's head PR guy, every friday he posts humorous answers to questions that arise during the week, as well as the weekly Mister Cheif cartoon.

This Week's Update.

the revalant bits:
Frankie wrote:Moviegoers ask,

Have you read the Halo movie script?

I've read an early draft of the script, and it rules. I heart Alex Garland's stuff anyway, from The Tesseract to 28 Days Later. Garland also wrote the script for an upcoming Sci-Fi flick, Sunshine, which you can read more about here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Best thing about Alex, apart from his ability to type awesomeness, is that he's actually a Halo fan, and he really, really gets it.
I'm hoping that the production crew follows in bungie tradition and does weekly updates during production and post-production.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Let's hope that it survives the Hollywood Execudrones sticking their two cents in. I remember the fight del Toro had when Hellboy was being made, because del Toro wanted to stay basically true to Hellboy and the Execudrones had fun ideas like making Hellboy into the Hulk, who turned into a red horned demon when he got angry. Del Toro kept having to go "No no no! That's stupid!" (politely, because you also can't piss off the Execudrones).

And HALO is ripe for sucking up by the Execudrones. I wouldn't be suprised if there were Execudrones out there right now trying to make it into a parable about Jesus.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

That's EXACTLY what MS is trying to avoid by having full creative control over the project. They want to see a Halo movie, done right.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
skyman8081 wrote:Remember the first rule of film and theater, never put your own money into a project!

The ammusing thing is that Microsoft is really a compnay that CAN face off against the studios in a glaring match as they frankly outweigh them. I like for once getting a compnay to beat up on them....and few people beat up on other companies like Microsoft can.
Microsoft has above else, deep, deep fucking pockets.
Sure some companys have a few hundred million set aside in a warchest for the "bad times" or a diffcult project, but so does MS... except their warchest starts with the phrase one hundred and ends in "billion"

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

For once, Microsoft does an evil thing that's actually good. YAY! Fuck that, Hollywood. Stalin vs. Hitler indeed.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

skyman8081 wrote:That's EXACTLY what MS is trying to avoid by having full creative control over the project. They want to see a Halo movie, done right.
It may be worth mentioning that it was Capcom's decision to make Resident Evil: The Movie different from the games...
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Not all videogame movies have been bad. I loved Mortal Kombat, for example. Other than that, I can't think of a very good one.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty fun.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Both of them? :lol: .

MK was great though.
Photography
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The sheer camp factor in Super Mario Bros. was funny, but aside from that it was only mediocre.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

the .303 bookworm wrote:
Both of them? :lol: .
The second one more so than the first, I thought.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

I have to:

"Come on, Caboose, jump through the teleporter!"

"Does it hurt?"

"No, not a bit!"

"Well...okay" *pwing*

"So, er, does it really hurt?"

"Ooooh yeah, it hurts!"

*pwing* "Owieeeeee!...You lied to me!"

I'm not exactly adamant about going to see the movie, but if I hear any rumours about Red vs. Blue making a cameo, I'm there.

~Damienkitty
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:I have to:

"Come on, Caboose, jump through the teleporter!"

"Does it hurt?"

"No, not a bit!"

"Well...okay" *pwing*

"So, er, does it really hurt?"

"Ooooh yeah, it hurts!"

*pwing* "Owieeeeee!...You lied to me!"

I'm not exactly adamant about going to see the movie, but if I hear any rumours about Red vs. Blue making a cameo, I'm there.

~Damienkitty
Word is that Bungie are big fans of Red Vs Blue, lets hope so. The amount of places they could fit them in is pretty good assuming its not Ringworld only.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ggs wrote: Why do you think Microsoft wants to retain complete creative control over how the movie is developed?
Even if they did the notion that anything in the books will make it in (ie. how awesome Master Chief is etc) is wishful thinking at best. It's practically guaranteed now. The most I'd give you is some lame, derivative Matrix bullet time ripoffs. Maybe.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Vympel wrote:
ggs wrote: Why do you think Microsoft wants to retain complete creative control over how the movie is developed?
Even if they did the notion that anything in the books will make it in (ie. how awesome Master Chief is etc) is wishful thinking at best. It's practically guaranteed now. The most I'd give you is some lame, derivative Matrix bullet time ripoffs. Maybe.
Makes you wonder if will actually screw too much with the continuity of the novels, or even the games themselves. If that is the case, then their start being constant "no, that aint canon, pwnzrd" crap in Halo discussions. I can forsee a future where EU persecution spreads to Halo. :(
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

I am going to ditch my eternal pessimism this time and proudly proclaim that Microsoft is doing the right stuff for once and the Halo Movie will rock harder than a very hard thing.

Halo is Microsoft's Big Thing in the world of scifi. They can crunch the numbers. They know that they stand to make Big Money if all the fans love the halo movie. They want it to Not-Fuck-Up, and they have the power and cash to get what they want.

Kicking Hollywood in the nads and demanding faithfulness to the Halo universe? Would you really want it any other way?

That said, i wouldn't want the script to follow the games/novels too closely, but rather bring the world of the events to life in rich glorious detail. Since seeing HHGG i've decided that too close an adaptation is simply unentertaining. There's also got to be a helluva lot of subtle exposition for the average movie-goer to understand what it's all about, besides 'aliens invading, spaceships go boom, hero shoots bad guys, hero achieves ultimate goal'.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Apparently the main studio arguments now are the ones abput Microsoft retaining complete creative control, and following Bungies Fluff "bible.

Why the hell do the studios even want control?
to make cortana a human cyborg who loses her armor and spends half the movie underwater? :roll: (Hope not)
Photography
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Darth Yoshi wrote:And the result is Street Fighter: The Movie: The Video Game. Ugh.
I'm glad someone mentioned Street Fighter. Since Doom isn't out yet, Street Fighter is the prime example of how badly Hollywood can fuck up such a simple concept.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

I'm hoping that they can do justice to Halo. I'd hate to see it become another craptastic letdown like the Wing Commander movie. Yeah, it had pretty visuals, but didn't feel like a part of the universe as a whole. As long as Bungie has some input, it should be alright.