Should Hayden Be Unmasked In ROTJ?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

The redeemed Anakin is a bald torso.

Yet the original force-ghost of shaw had hair, and arms. Hence why I believe that the Shaw ghost was actually Anakin, pre-Vader, the face of that changed with RotS, and the DVD's reflected that. Thats all my opinion, anyway.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

skyman8081 wrote:The redeemed Anakin is a bald torso.

Yet the original force-ghost of shaw had hair, and arms. Hence why I believe that the Shaw ghost was actually Anakin, pre-Vader, the face of that changed with RotS, and the DVD's reflected that. Thats all my opinion, anyway.
Thats pretty much how Lucas rationalized it. :wink:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

I've always liked the old look for the Anakin ghost in RotJ. I felt that it represented how Anaking should have looked. If he hadn't turned into Darth Vader, he would have become a slightly plump Jedi Master.
The Technology of Peace!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

LaserRifleofDoom wrote:I've always liked the old look for the Anakin ghost in RotJ. I felt that it represented how Anaking should have looked. If he hadn't turned into Darth Vader, he would have become a slightly plump Jedi Master.
You're joking, right? The Chosen One becomes a jolly chubby Jedi Master? I'm thinking a younger Qui-Gon Jinn. I don't know why you got the impression that Sebastian Shaw was slightly plump, though ...
Never say never. If Lucas is still around when the Next Big Thing in home video formats comes around, I can see him dipping back for a Special Special Edition.
Rest assured that there's going to be another edition. You can't let the wonky lightsabres and the occasionally spotty sound of the 2004 DVD alone. Next box set, I tell ya.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

No. I disliked Hayden being put into ROTJ as a ghost, and I most certainly would not like to see him in the unmasking.
JADAFETWA
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I was about to express my agreement that Anakin's Force spirit should be aged, but skyman8081 pointed out that as he is, he's a bald, scarred torso.

Now bear with me for this next sentence: if Anakin's spirit isn't going to appear as it actually is (scarred, limbless), then it's more likely that it'll look like how Anakin last looked (young), rather than a "what if" appearance.

As an aside, Lucas' whole take on Anakin "dying" when he became Vader is interesting; it probably means that the image of Anakin you see at the end of RotJ isn't just the Anakin who was on Mustafar... it's really Anakin from sometime before the point in time where he severed Mace Windu's hand at the wrist.

This is a piss in the wind, but I'd like to mention that the idea about a person ceasing to exist and becoming a different person when they finally fall to the Dark Side is portrayed nicely in the Star Wars roleplaying game. When you gain that final Dark Side Point that pushes your DSP total over half your Wisdom score, the player loses control of his character, and the character becomes a gamemaster NPC to use as he sees fit (typically as a villain).

Btw, to all the posts that have the effect of "oh, Vader's unmasking was totally unimportant", my typical voluminous verbosity fails and all I can really respond with is, "What the fuck?"
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star