Halo movie, set budget to big!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Track recored people; Track Record...

Mario Brothers: Sucked
Mortal Kombat: Sucked
Wing Commander: Sucked
Street Fighter: Sucked
Resident Evil: Sucked

Are we detecting a trend here? Video Games DON'T make for good movies.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Track recored people; Track Record...

The problem is that movie studios like to put their own stamp on it, which of course results in them changing stuff, and you end up with very wierd changes. Also, most video games don't have much of a plot to begin with, so alot of shit has to be made up.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Madurai
Redshirt

Post by Madurai »

I don't see Microsoft as being some paragon of creative protectionism. It's full of exactly the same kind of LCD mentality that makes Hollywood what it is. If Bungie was running things, it might be different. But it isn't. Expect the worst.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

newsflash: Bungie = Microsoft. I don't really think they would completely cut Bungie out of the creative control and give it to a different part of Microsoft.
Madurai
Redshirt

Post by Madurai »

Hawkwings wrote:newsflash: Bungie = Microsoft. I don't really think they would completely cut Bungie out of the creative control and give it to a different part of Microsoft.
Unless Bungie has a lot more influence with the parent company as a whole than most bought-out studios do, I somehow doubt it. Expect marketing concerns to be in the driver's seat.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Madurai wrote:
Hawkwings wrote:newsflash: Bungie = Microsoft. I don't really think they would completely cut Bungie out of the creative control and give it to a different part of Microsoft.
Unless Bungie has a lot more influence with the parent company as a whole than most bought-out studios do, I somehow doubt it. Expect marketing concerns to be in the driver's seat.
I would venture to say that, since Microsoft has a vested interest in the success of the franchise as a WHOLE, then it would let it's Subsidiary (Bungie, By Proxy, MICROSOFT) handle the creative aspects of the movie. I have a hard time picturing stuffed shirt microsoft software execs trying to take the reins on this. I think that when we refer to Microsoft in this instance, it should be a given that what is meant is Bungie.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Man, marketing concerns will dictate that Master Chief won't even have the suit. Or, if he does, he won't have a helmet. Got to see the actor's face! Bah. BAH!!!! I say!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Vympel wrote:Man, marketing concerns will dictate that Master Chief won't even have the suit. Or, if he does, he won't have a helmet. Got to see the actor's face! Bah. BAH!!!! I say!
Heretics! :P

That would suck. How much do you want to bet if they do that, it'll be Vin Diesel behind the mask?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The thing with MasterChief and the whole 'faceless' bit, it's a hallmark of Bungi. Look at the entier Marathon series... The person you played was an unknown Cyborg, just a pawn of Durandel... Halo, in some ways, is little more then a Modern version of Marathon. An Über, faceless hero, saving the world/universe.

To make a movie, and NOT have him faceless, unknown, it would take much away from things.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

To make a movie, and NOT have him faceless, unknown, it would take much away from things.
As I said, it would probably deteract from the movie, but at least it wouldnt mess with the continuity too much (the helmet isnt fused to his head after all.) Of course they might have him jumping into battle helmet-less..... :roll:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Vympel wrote:Man, marketing concerns will dictate that Master Chief won't even have the suit. Or, if he does, he won't have a helmet. Got to see the actor's face! Bah. BAH!!!! I say!
Actually, i wouldn't mind seeing Master Chief without his armour. In the story, Master Chief is a Main Character, not a player's blank-slate avatar in a game. We'll need to see aspects of him that we've never seen before, how he deals with people, how he feels about stuff, etc.

Making him into a 3D human being who we get to know before he suits up and turns into the ass-kicker we all know and love would help this to not become just another VFX uber-fighting wank-a-thon. I think it would make people give a damn if he wins or loses and would make the whole movie's impact feel more real.

The thing that bad adaptations/sequels do is change stuff we already know while not showing us any interesting new insights into the fictional world. Consider the good and bad sequels in the Terminator and Alien series'. I don't want them to fuck around with the established universe, but I do NOT want to see all the exact same old Halo stuff in a 3-hour high res cutscene.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They could cover up some scenes with you never seeing his face. You could see part of his head perhaps... it's not like a movie hasn't done that before. I heard one was called Mohammed the Prophet, and you never saw an inch of Mohammed or even his shadow in the entire 3 hour film. Of course I heard it sucked on wheels but... oh. I'm drifting, aren't I?
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You know....I wonder if it would be possible, creativly, to do the ENTIRE MOVIE (excepting external shots of ships and such) from the point of view OF the Master Cheif? Almost like your playing the game in some ways...if it would be possible with modern technology....
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Chris OFarrell wrote:You know....I wonder if it would be possible, creativly, to do the ENTIRE MOVIE (excepting external shots of ships and such) from the point of view OF the Master Cheif? Almost like your playing the game in some ways...if it would be possible with modern technology....
Surely. Tape a camera to your head. Would it (probably) be good? Nope. Direction needs more than a First Person View.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Chris OFarrell wrote:You know....I wonder if it would be possible, creativly, to do the ENTIRE MOVIE (excepting external shots of ships and such) from the point of view OF the Master Cheif? Almost like your playing the game in some ways...if it would be possible with modern technology....
It'd be possible, but it would be really, really terrible to watch.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Are you kidding me? Mario Brothers was hilarious just for the sheer audacity of the stunts it pulled. Mortal Kombat just plain kicked ass (it was the SEQUEL that sucked), and Resident Evil was actually a pretty solid film.

I'll back you to the hilt on the other two, though. :wink:
JADAFETWA
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Yep, remmber the 343GS cutscene? dificult to watch.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Kuja wrote:

Are you kidding me? Mario Brothers was hilarious just for the sheer audacity of the stunts it pulled. Mortal Kombat just plain kicked ass (it was the SEQUEL that sucked), and Resident Evil was actually a pretty solid film.

I'll back you to the hilt on the other two, though. :wink:
I loved MK1, the rest blew (Didnt see RE though)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Vympel wrote:
I don't know. With the right director and done the right way, it may well work. It would be hard as hell, sure. But it might be possible...

Still it was probably a bad idea :)
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Vympel wrote:
I don't know. With the right director and done the right way, it may well work. It would be hard as hell, sure. But it might be possible...

Still it was probably a bad idea :)
I heard that the Doom movie was going to have the last few scenes in first person (was that true?), so if that works well we might see a more refined version in Halo (but i'd hate for it to be the whole movie).

OK here's an idea. I think it'd be cool to have a big opening vista view of a space armada or wartorn battleground, then strangely the camera glances around, looks down, we see armoured hands reload an assault rifle. Then Master Chief 'steps out' of the camera's view and starts walking away, and throws a quick wary glance at something over his shoulder so we just barely see his helmet's face, which would act like a nod to the audience. It'd be a kind of self-referential 'stepping out' of Master Chief from the game character literally into his movie role.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The Doom movie also does not involve Hell, Mars, demons or a single marine fighting for his survival. (Nor does he own a rabbit.)

In other words, it's not Doom. So I'd prefer that the folks doing Halo paid as little attention to it as possible.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Durandal wrote:The Doom movie also does not involve Hell, Mars, demons or a single marine fighting for his survival. (Nor does he own a rabbit.)

In other words, it's not Doom. So I'd prefer that the folks doing Halo paid as little attention to it as possible.
Actually they should so that they insist on 100% creative control.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Lots of films use a first person perspective: it's called a POV shot. Watch the opening of Halloween for an OK POV shot.

It would only become a First Person shot if they did something inanely stupid like set up the shot like the screen in the game.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Durandal wrote:The Doom movie also does not involve Hell, Mars, demons or a single marine fighting for his survival. (Nor does he own a rabbit.)

Well i was talking about it as a possible example of the cinematic technique, that's all. And like Bookworm mentioned, Doom can be a big shining example of what NOT to do, since it will likely suck the gangrenous testicles of Satan himself.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Majin Gojira wrote:Lots of films use a first person perspective: it's called a POV shot. Watch the opening of Halloween for an OK POV shot.

It would only become a First Person shot if they did something inanely stupid like set up the shot like the screen in the game.
Yeah but how often do POV shots show stuff like hands, feet, blinking, etc? I think that could work as a first person thing for an opening shot.