Why didn't Obi Wan raise Luke himself?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stravo wrote: I like to think of it as him in his solitude on Tatooine continually going over what he did wrong and realizing on his own that he was just a horrible teacher. Hell, he realized that on Mustafar when he said "I have failed you Anakin."

I like to think that it means more when you realize your own flaws then having someone else point them out to you.

Now Qui Gon giving him pointers while they commune works for me as well but there's something to be said about learning from your mistakes.
I like to think of it that way too.

I don't think he spent a bunch of time listening to Qui-Gon lecture him about what went wrong. I doubt it came up at all. I just figured that once again being able to learn from his original master that he might have had an easier time drawing his own conclusions about what he could have done differently with Anakin.

Having Qui-Gon to communicate with must have been very beneficial for both Obi-Wan and Yoda while they were in hiding. Probably helped keep them from going bonkers because of the isolation. Help keep Obi-Wan from brooding over what had happened with Anakin.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Tsyroc wrote:Having Qui-Gon to communicate with must have been very beneficial for both Obi-Wan and Yoda while they were in hiding. Probably helped keep them from going bonkers because of the isolation. Help keep Obi-Wan from brooding over what had happened with Anakin.
I think for the first two years Qui-Gon wasn't talking (or at least training) Obi-Wan much, since Obi-Wan wasn't 'ready' for the training yet, he still had a lot of issues he wasn't dealing with, and Qui-Gon told him as much. From what was written, Qui-Gon was sympathetic to Obi-Wan, but so far he would just challenge him to be honest with himself first.

Hope that helped.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Regarding Luke's training from young age, I can just imagine him talking to his childhood buddies: "Hey, look what I learned from old Ben today. It's calld Force lightning" or sneaking away with his lightsaber.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

Comosicus wrote:Regarding Luke's training from young age, I can just imagine him talking to his childhood buddies: "Hey, look what I learned from old Ben today. It's calld Force lightning" or sneaking away with his lightsaber.
And in marches the Empire and out go three Jedi corpses. I have a feeling parents in the Empire won't stand for Jedi in their neighborhoods, corrupting their kids.
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

Probally Because that Ben figured that at some point vader would come look for him (ben).
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crown wrote: I think for the first two years Qui-Gon wasn't talking (or at least training) Obi-Wan much, since Obi-Wan wasn't 'ready' for the training yet, he still had a lot of issues he wasn't dealing with, and Qui-Gon told him as much. From what was written, Qui-Gon was sympathetic to Obi-Wan, but so far he would just challenge him to be honest with himself first.

Hope that helped.

Sounds good, makes sense to me.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Perinquus wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:The novel answers this. Yoda bluntly stated that it was training them so young is what fucked them over. With Luke and Leia, Yoda felt it was wiser that they lead normal lives, acquire discpline through some other means then the order. He felt at the time that it was wiser that simply they have lives other then being a Jedi, and this would teach them lessons that they failed so poorly with the Jedi Order in dealing with the Sith.
But was that necessarily a good call on his part. The good guys finally prevailed because they got lucky. Pure and simple. Luke simply wasn't anywhere close to being powerful enough to bring down the emperor. The only reason that the emperor fell was because of an event that Yoda and Obi Wan clearly hadn't factored into their plans -- there was some good left in Vader, and Luke was able to bring it out.

Luke, whatever else he learned, didn't learn discipline so well. Yoda said from the beginning that he was impulsive and and excitable, yearning for adventure. And when push came to shove, Luke proved him right and ran off half cocked. He barely escaped with his life, and never did get enough training to properly equip him for the job he had to do. Had Luke started training earlier, he might have not only become powerful enough to resist being fried outright once the emperor started to zap him. He might also have acquired some much needed discipline to temper his impulsive nature.

It seems to me that it should have been possible to train Luke from a much younger age and still rectify this problem. The Jedi weren't just trained almost from birth, they were trained almost from birth while in the isolation of the monastic Jedi temple. So why not simply dispense with the isolation. Allow him a semi-normal life, but still have him devote much of each day to his training. It would have served their purpose and allowed him a less isolated life, yet still prepared him better. I know they felt they needed to change their method. But the approach they ended up taking -- give him no training at all until it's almost too late -- seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

you know that made me think, could it be that Anakin this whole time played a prolonged Quinlan Vos?
i mean he "went to the dark side" gained insight, took his time, made sure the Sith thought he was a Sith, then when it really matterd he said woah i tricked you fools, bye bye Palpy down the shoot
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean