Assault rifle news

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Knife wrote: I think you have it backwards. If the three people in the fireteam run out of .223, the one guy with the OICW is not going to be able to supply all three of the guy's with ammo. Now if the OICW guy runs out, then it would be nice to barrow some from the other guy's.
I think I have it right... because as Sea Skimmer pointed out, the grenade launcher is the main weapon, and so they're less likely to run out of the .223 ammo than the M-16's are. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were planning on having something like 4 OICWs in a squad, along w/ 4 M-16s, and a SAW, so it's going to be a roughly equal distrubution of M-16s and OICWs. My point is that they aren't going to switch because it makes scavenging extra magazines for the rifle easier, and the supply line is simplified, because they don't have to have 2 different types of rifle bullets.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Knife wrote:
Vympel wrote:
Knife wrote:. The SAW's capability of plugging in a mag from a M16 is more or less in case of an emergence type thing. Those 30 rounds (29 if its loaded right) don't last long at 750rpm.
I've heard that the SAW has a high tendency to jam if you fire it with an M16 mag ... that true?
Sort of, the M249 tends to jam anyway if you don't have a lot of lube in it. The feed system is also not all that great, so any bend in the belt will break the cycle of operation in the weapon. As for the mag, IIRC the mag port was a after thought type thing.
It seems that every belt fed machine gun that can take standard magazines has a lot of jamming problems with them. No system can work well with both it seems.

However it's more likely in combat that you'd be breaking down the extra 200 round magazines a fireteam has for its SAW then needing to feed the SAW gunner M16 mags.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Knife wrote:
Vympel wrote: I've heard that the SAW has a high tendency to jam if you fire it with an M16 mag ... that true?
Sort of, the M249 tends to jam anyway if you don't have a lot of lube in it. The feed system is also not all that great, so any bend in the belt will break the cycle of operation in the weapon. As for the mag, IIRC the mag port was a after thought type thing.
It seems that every belt fed machine gun that can take standard magazines has a lot of jamming problems with them. No system can work well with both it seems.

However it's more likely in combat that you'd be breaking down the extra 200 round magazines a fireteam has for its SAW then needing to feed the SAW gunner M16 mags.
True, wich is what I was trying to say about the OICW giving ammo to the others. The magazine port is for "oh my god, they are over running us and I don't have time to load another drum into the SAW, quick give me a fucking magazine to surpress them with." The three people in the fireteam who have the M16 will have a combined larger ammo load than the guy with the new version of the blooper. Sure, I guess that if the blooper guy has ammo left when everybody's out, he'll cough up some ammo to the rest but I think the opposited would be more likely.

Breaking down a 200 round belt and then loading it into a mag is some what time consuming. If the fireteam stops what they are doing and concentrates on it, it would still take a couple of minutes.

On a side note, do they expect that the OICW guy will be organic or a attachment to the squad? Will they place him in the weapons platoon or probably issue it to the fireteam leader or even squad leader?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Metal Storm is not a practical weapon because of the logistis(sp) required to keep them loaded especially the million rpm rate. Scaling it down to one to ten thousand rpm is more practical and cost effective.

MS is a poor sub. for a mine field because the enemy can spotted it easier or the general area where it is located. Which an arty. and/or airstrike could can called in to destroy it.

On the subject of OICW, weren't airburst munitions banned by the Geneva Concention?
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Sparkticus wrote:Ok, time to post my favourite...

The Styer ACR project...

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as56-e.htm

Light, rugged, and it fires flechett rounds. Might even be able to mod this thing to fire DU penetrators... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aside from that, it has a muzzle velocity of 1450m/s, and still has a velocity of 910m/s 600 metres downrange. That impresses me, as it almost becomes a direct fire weapon, no need to compenstate for enemy movement.
W000000000000T! Quake 1 Nailgun!!! With DEPLETED URANIUM!!! W000000T!!
Image Image