Hey look, I need another name

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Hey look, I need another name

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, I have an Empire. It's big as empires should be. The thing is, it is somewhat unnamed. It is just the Empire, and quite frankly, it needs a name so I don't have to write 'the Empire' all the time. I want an abreviation, so, any help would be considered brilliant.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I think you should try some name for your nation other than "Empire". To me, the word is becoming overused in sci fi as it is. Run through a thesaurus and pick out something you like.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

How about: 'The Mighty and Benevolent Terrestrial Empire'?, the abbreviation would be MaBTE.

Fanboy has a point, as well, but if it really is an Empire there's not much else you can call it, besides 'Imperium', which is barely any different, and if I remember correctly, you already have an Imperium.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

So I do. Might and Benevolent Terrestial Empire. Beautiful. Every alien in the galaxy would hate it.
What is Project Zohar?

Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

How about 'Mighty And Yet Benevolent Empire', MAYBE for short? :D
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

For synonyms, it doesn't sound like it's an islamic Empire, but Caliphate or Kalifate is too cool not to use somewhere. I doubt it could fit, though.

As for Empires, they are overused in history, too, so I can't see everyone's problem with them.

Taking a lesson from history, perhaps you could add some sort of adjective, sort of like:
[Roman] Empire of the East [dropped Roman due to HRE, I believe]

or unofficial Dynastic names- Angevin/Plantagenet, Charlemagne's, Habsburg, Corrino
If it's racially homogenous- Russian, Mongol, Romulan, Klingon, Terran

Possibly the best way would probably to think up its history and figure out what the "real people" of the galaxy would call it.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

MRDOD wrote:Possibly the best way would probably to think up its history and figure out what the "real people" of the galaxy would call it.
What he said. Create an official name as pompous as possible and its actual name (using either the dominant race/culture/faction or the capital city/homeworld) for the galaxy at large. And a despective designation for use by the enemies of that Empire.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Murazor wrote:
MRDOD wrote:Possibly the best way would probably to think up its history and figure out what the "real people" of the galaxy would call it.
What he said. Create an official name as pompous as possible and its actual name (using either the dominant race/culture/faction or the capital city/homeworld) for the galaxy at large. And a despective designation for use by the enemies of that Empire.
Example:
Official title (Remember, just because you call yourself something, doesn't mean you actually have to be that):
The Most Benevelant and Mighty Empire of the Terran Republics

Actual Title
Earthin Empire

Enemy Designation:
Fuckwitted Facist Idiots

Oh, and the above example is mine. Period. End of story.
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

Personally, I've always wanted to be a part of a hegemony.

You could also try the Universal Federated Intergalactic Authority. That'd get you a pretty good acronym...
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

There's already a Hegemony, actually.

And they aren't fascist, per se. Everyone get's equal rights, so long as you aren't hoarding minerals, food, liveable land, unliveable land or empty areas of space. Then you're fair game.

Also, I recently played Final Fantasy 7, and went to Costa De Sol, so would anyone find Empire de Sol far to tropical? At least people can refer to it as Eddie then. Dog I'm funny.
What is Project Zohar?

speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Empire De Sol doesn't really seem to work because you've got an English sounding word followed by two Spanish sounding words. I would suggest using the Spanish word for 'empire', or something which sounds Spanish, rather than 'empire'. Just my opinion.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, I don't see why I couldn't. I didn't think it fit well anyway.
What is Project Zohar?

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Alright! New name time! This time, it's for a ship, a special ship, the Milleniium Falcon of the Logical World. But bigger.

Basically, it's a small, fast, very powerful corvette with the standard nuclear armament, partical cannons, rail guns, mass driver missile launchers ect. It also has a sleek look about it and a feel of high speed mayhem (or high speed running away).

So anyway, what would you call it? You can use blatant references if you like, because sci-fi of today exists in the 8th millenium (Star Wars is of course considered a piece of film making genius, and it is surprising it was made in the 20th century, as opposed to the 5th millenium, the Golden Age of Film).
What is Project Zohar?