The Twilight War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

Post by Trooper TK12746 »

When I say him running out of the Seperatist shuttle, panting like a fat man with asthma, I wept for the 100s of man-hours they spent hyping him.
If you watched the Clone Wars Cartoon, he had his gutsack crushed by Mace Windu, he was badly injured at the time.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

I. Know. That doesn't stop it from sucking!

Edit: That wasn't my main problem anyway; It was the complete lack of dignity he showed, and the complete lack of ability. He got his butt kicked every single time we saw him! I get the distinct impression Lucas didn't actually mean for him to be teh uber.
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

He only fought twice. Once against Obi-Wan and Anakin (two of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever) and once against Obi-Wan (one of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever). And he isn't even force-sensitive. He can probably beat most Jedi, just not the best of the Jedi.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Trooper TK12746 wrote:He only fought twice. Once against Obi-Wan and Anakin (two of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever) and once against Obi-Wan (one of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever). And he isn't even force-sensitive. He can probably beat most Jedi, just not the best of the Jedi.
His appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon strongly suggested bad assness. he kicked Jedi Master ass in his debut and scared the shit out a master like Ki-Adi-Mundi. Let us not forget his snatching off Palpatine where he handled several Jedi and was always advancing on them, attacking and such. In the movie he is always running away from them. So yes, I agree he was a throw away villain after all the build up in the Clone Wars Cartoon.

However this is NOT the thread to debate it in. If you guys want to take it somewhere else please feel free to.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

Sorry, got a bit carried away.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Yeah, I don't wan't to derail this fic. Sorry.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Stravo wrote:
Trooper TK12746 wrote:He only fought twice. Once against Obi-Wan and Anakin (two of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever) and once against Obi-Wan (one of the greatest Jedi swordsmen ever). And he isn't even force-sensitive. He can probably beat most Jedi, just not the best of the Jedi.
His appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon strongly suggested bad assness. he kicked Jedi Master ass in his debut and scared the shit out a master like Ki-Adi-Mundi. Let us not forget his snatching off Palpatine where he handled several Jedi and was always advancing on them, attacking and such. In the movie he is always running away from them. So yes, I agree he was a throw away villain after all the build up in the Clone Wars Cartoon.

However this is NOT the thread to debate it in. If you guys want to take it somewhere else please feel free to.
Well, we can hope you'll do it better.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 24: Feints and Parries

“Give every man thy ear but few thy voice.”
Hamlet Act I Scene iii

Anakin Skywalker stalked like a panther along the outer ring of the fighting circle, lightsaber humming hungrily as he watched the fighting drones arrayed against him. The drones hissed softly as they cut through the air in intricate patterns. Anakin held up his lightsaber, the pale blue blade illuminating the fighting circle. The rest of the workout room, one of dozens in the temple, was dark and quiet.

It was deep in the night cycle and the temple was quiet and subdued. Deep shadows ran along the clean white walls of the training room and danced with the light from Anakin’s saber.

The temple was quiet for another reason that many of the Jedi did not like to contemplate.

Many of the Jedi were away at war. Some Jedi mentioned that the temple felt like a house with all the children gone. But that analogy always seemed to fail for Anakin since the fact was that the temple was a house with all the adults gone leaving the children behind.

Anakin leapt forward blade tipping down into a spinning strike. The drones split into a cascading sideslip away from the center of his strike. Four drones in total, each one set to maximum engagement mode and they never stood a chance as Anakin’s leaping attack turned into a feint as he tumbled forward seemingly out of control.

The drones were confused for a brief moment as their sensors and predictors crunched numbers and ran decision subroutines trying to make rhyme or reason of their target’s sudden and random aspect change. They reacted and spun in a quick spiral around the young Jedi Knight.

Anakin landed in a low crouch and the drones came in a tight circle around him, stunners humming aggressively as they were about to fire. Anakin smiled grimly and whipped his blade around in a spinning move that caught two of the drones, slicing them neatly in half. He flipped forward almost instantly after striking the two drones and heard the hissing of the remaining two droned as they swept in, one low and one high to intercept the whirling Jedi.

Anakin felt the tremor in the Force that he had been waiting for.

He landed, legs splayed out wide and brought his saber up with a snap of his wrist. The stun bolts ricocheted off the leading edge of the blade. The reflected bolt went in the opposite direction striking each drone with the opposite number’s stun bolt dead center. Both drones immediately dropped like stones to the padded floor.

Anakin stood over the fallen drones his saber humming soothingly as its pale blue glow illuminated the wreckage of his enemies. If only they were Dooku. The Separatist leadership. If only he could end this horrible war and bring peace back through the saber, through sheer force of will. He was the Chosen One after all was he not? The responsibility lay on him to end this destructive conflict.

Yet he could not see clear of the maze of lies and deceptions that seemed to spring up around him. The Republic and this galaxy were like a garden left unattended. It was over run and choked with thorns and weeds.

“It’s like I can’t breath.” He muttered to himself.

He felt the presence now close to him disturbing the tranquil calm of the Force around him like an insect that skipped off the surface of a still pond.

Anakin smiled softly as he turned his head to look over his shoulder.

“You should practice your stealth techniques, old friend, that was sloppy of you.” Anakin said quietly.

Bastion nodded to the young Jedi Knight and stopped at the edge of the fighting map.

“Now why would I want to hide from you, Anakin? You’re a friend and an ally.” Bastion replied.

“Obi Wan is always hiding himself from me. It’s a little game we play. He’s better at it than I am but I will match him someday soon.”

Bastion smirked at the usual competitiveness in his friend.

“You two act like brothers more than master and apprentice.”

Anakin’s face darkened slightly and Bastion instantly regretted his choice of words.

“I’m not his apprentice anymore.”

“Of course you’re not but you yourself just stated that you still have much to learn.” Bastion replied good naturedly as he casually stepped into the fighting circle and eyed the fallen drones.

“I guess so.” Anakin shrugged cloud of anger gone as quickly as it came. It always troubles Bastion how rapidly Anakin could grow angry, even as a child he remembered the young padawan throwing a near tantrum over a loss to another padawan at his first tournament. Despite all the yelling and screaming and accusations of use of abilities that Anakin did not even know existed at the time it took Yoda’s patient explanation that they needed to pair up Anakin with a padawan 5 years older because his skills had grown tremendously in the first year of apprenticeship under Obi Wan. But that was Anakin for you, it was never enough that he needed to have adolescent padawans to just match him, he needed to beat them too.

That’s when they first met. Bastion walked over to the fuming young padawan and cracked a joke. Anakin stared at him for a moment then smiled.

Bastion always remembered that smile because it dispelled the angry storm clouds around Anakin’s eyes and for a moment you saw him as he always should be.

“Looking for a sparring partner?” Bastion asked playfully.

Anakin snorted.

“No one in my class to spar with.” Anakin replied neutrally as he eyed Bastion.

“You know you should not disparage my skills. Master Yoda always chooses me as his sparring partner when we introduce the padawans to the wonders of Ataru.” Bastion replied proudly as he let his robes drop down to the floor with a roll of his shoulders.

Anakin nodded as if assessing the claim while simultaneously taking several steps back to the starting position at the edge of the fighting circle.

“So you’re saying if I wanted a show fight to impress 8 year olds that I should look you up?” Anakin replied sardonically as he took a test swing with his saber and began bouncing on the balls of his feet letting the Force flow around him.

“I’m saying that you should be mindful of who you address, Ataru is a deadly and graceful form in my hands and out of all the Jedi Knights Yoda trusts me to be able to keep up with him.” Bastion smiled as he removed his saber and punctuated the end of his sentence with the snap hiss of his saber activating.

“Is it that or the fact that you keep the younglings entertained when you do your imitation of Master Yoda when you fight?” Anakin retorted.

“Flawless imitation, my friend, flawless. Your imitation of Master Obi Wan lacks the panache and flair of a true Bastion Vandarre Yoda.” Bastion winked and twirled his green bladed lightsaber in an invitation to the intense young Jedi Knight standing opposite him in the fighting circle.

“All I can say is what I told you when we first sparred, Bastion.” Anakin replied with a chuckle. Suddenly his face became very serious. “Ataru is for sissies!” He snapped and lunged into an attack.

Bastion twisted out of the way of the attack and swept his blade in low at Anakin’s legs. Anakin casually slapped Bastion’s strike away and turned at his waist in a roundhouse strike. Bastion back flipped away from the strike and landed in a low crouch.

“That taunt wasn’t even insulting when we were 10 year olds, Ani.” Bastion sighed dramatically.

“This spar could be insulting if you keep leaping around like a Jackflea on steroids instead of fighting me straight up. What’s the matter, afraid?”

“A Jedi does not know fear. And frankly your foot work blows.” Bastion replied and suddenly launched himself into a tumbling attack, lightsaber flashing around Anakin like lightning bolts.

The attack was meant to cause Anakin to retreat for better position, opening him to an Ataru special maneuver utilizing the full range and motion that the gymnastic lightsaber form afforded its adherents.

But Anakin was a seasoned veteran of his own form – Shien- which emphasized power and strength in its strikes and defenses. He stood firm and lashed out in his own series of counterstrikes and parries. This forced Bastion to touch down on the ground on one leg, elegantly sweep his blade before him in wide swipes as he collected his strength for another leap.

Anakin grinned as he waded into Bastion, lightsaber flashing in rapid broad strikes, bulling past Bastion’s defenses and getting in dangerously close. Bastion was forced to abandon his leap to escape and concentrate on his own defense as he stood toe to toe against Anakin. That was exactly where Anakin wanted the nimble Jedi.

Their sabers clashed with loud electronic snaps and hisses.

“You’re better than I remember.” Bastion noted as he twisted his torso in almost impossible contortions maneuvering himself around Anakin like a snake.

“That’s because my powers grow every day.” Anakin replied as he deftly saw the incoming attack and viciously batted Bastion’s strike away and delivered an elbow firmly into the young smiling Jedi’s chest forcing him back and allowing Anakin the room he needed to wind up for a long series of broad strokes meant to batter Bastion into submission.

“You’ve been dark of late, brooding some say. The young Anakin Skywalker I knew was not like that.” Bastion grunted as he caught the leading edge of one of Anakin’s powerful strokes and tried to bull it away with force fueled strength. Anakin smirked as he leaned in as well pressing his blade against Bastion’s emerald blade.

“He was vain perhaps.” Bastion sidestepped away at the last moment and Anakin stumbled forward, carried ahead by the momentum of his own struggle against Bastion and Bastion was ready to deliver the coup de grace against the small of Anakin’s back.

Anakin effortlessly snaked his arms behind him and his blade caught the green glowing strike and swept it upward in a triumphant flex of his biceps. Anakin spun around and swept his blade at Bastion’s midsection.

Smiling with effort and exhilaration Bastion bent backwards at the waist and watched Anakin’s blue blade pass inched over his face and waist.

“Over confident and some may even say arrogant.” Bastion continued his voice strained from the impossible angle he held his body at the moment. Bastion kicked off his left foot and spun in a tight tumble away from Anakin’s blade.

Anakin recovered his wide sweep and stalked after Bastion.

“How can you talk this much and fight?” Anakin growled.

“Strong am I in the Force but stronger you are in wit young padawan.” Bastion threw out an infamous quote form the ancient Jedi Master concerning Bastion’s seemingly inexhaustible need for humor and jokes.

“You’ll be telling your Yoda jokes in the infirmary if you keep running from me.” Anakin vowed as he watched Bastion leap directly upwards into the darkness above.

Anakin smiled.

He may have eschewed the more acrobatic and supple arts of Ataru but he was no slouch at the jumping. He called the Force to him and propelled himself through the air like a bullet from a slug thrower. As he soared up into the rafters Bastion tumbled over and above him swinging his blade down at the swiftly approaching Anakin.

Anakin turned his body into a corkscrew and brought his blade up as he aimed for one of the long metal catwalks strung up in a seemingly random pattern along the ceiling.

His blade caught Bastion’s and pushed it away as he landed in a cat fall on the edge of one of the catwalks.

Bastion landed on the opposite end and brought his blade up in an intricate figure eight motion.

“Some people say you’re fighting these days like you have a chip on your shoulder.”

“Some people sound suspiciously like Master Obi Wan.” Anakin replied coolly as he stepped quickly over to the very tip of the catwalk and balanced precariously over a 25 meter drop down to the fighting floor.

“Some people say you’ve grown darker and angrier ever since your duel with Dooku.”

“Some people need to watch their surroundings.” Anakin chuckled and one of the support chains holding Bastion’s swinging catwalk snapped forward striking the young blonde Jedi in the back of his head.

Bastion did not seem surprised.

Instead he simply tumbled off the catwalk and tucked his arms and legs into a spinning fall down to the fighting floor below. Anakin checked his footing and instead of following Bastion down leapt to a higher perch and waited patiently.

The young Jedi was tempting him to follow him down where his Form would give him an advantage to fight in free fall.

Anakin nodded to himself as Bastion landed on one foot, took a deep breath and launched himself up again in a fast sloping arc towards the rafters again. Anakin took aim and let his lightsaber fly in a twirling scythe like arc at the spot where he dimly saw Bastion landing seconds before he would.

Bastion’s eyes widened as he saw the lightsaber arcing down at him and he shifted his trajectory with a desperate Force nudge while reaching out for the hilt of Anakin’s lightsaber as it arced past him and struck the catwalk beneath him.

Bastion’s reach was interrupted by Anakin’s own force pull that yanked the lightsaber back towards him.

Bastion landed awkwardly on the chain link bridge woven between two catwalks and brought his saber up in a purely defensive stroke as he felt Anakin’s attack before it landed. The intense Jedi Knight was already in the air when his lightsaber was yanked back towards him. The hilt landed snugly in his bionic hand as he nearly landed on top of Bastion.

He brought his saber down in a vicious over handed strike that landed solidly against Bastion’s defenses and sent the Jedi stumbling backwards on uncertain footing. Anakin frowned as he landed on the chain link bridge as well. He meant for the blow to knock Bastion off but the young Jedi proved more resilient than he imagined.

Then he felt the Force around him like a strong wind.

Anakin gathered it around him, stealing as much of the power away as he could but it was too late.

Bastion brought his saber up in his own over handed strike and Anakin was forced to focus on the block meanwhile the chain link unraveled beneath his feet and began snaking up his knees.

Bastion and Anakin’s blades clashed overhead and both stared into each other’s eyes. Sweat was trailing glistening wet trails down Bastion’s face. Anakin looked fresh and flushed as if he just started warm up exercises.

“Clever of you old friend. Master Yoda always said you spent too much too in the physical in your duels.” The young Jedi Bastion used the Force almost exclusively to boost his strength and agility and deflect direct attacks against him. He preferred winning through sheer swordsmanship and physical ability. Yoda and later Cin Drallag, the sword master of the Order, always complained to Bastion of this glaring weakness.

Obviously his friend had learned a trick or two in the War so far.

The chain links were now wrapping around Anakin’s waist and starting to drag him down through weight and the Force.

Bastion winked at Anakin.

“We all learn don’t we Anakin. You know you learned too if you listened to yourself.”

“Oh?” Anakin grunted as he refused to give ground on the saber lock overhead. Anakin did not have his usual height or reach advantage as Bastion was as tall as he was but where Bastion was lithe and supple like a dancer, Anakin was built for power and strength and he would not release the hold on Bastion’s blade, pushing back as hard as he could mindful of the tugging chains slowing him down and threatening to crush him.

“We both know you can’t keep this up at once don’t you?” Anakin added with a feral smile as he pushed down harder and felt Bastion giving ground.

“You’re more powerful than you’ve ever been. I’m using every trick up my sleeve and I’m only slowing you down my friend. Have you ever stopped to think of a very simple fact that I learned long ago in our little spars?” bastion asked as he suddenly slapped his saber down in a quick jab cut, distracting Anakin long enough to disengage and as he back flipped away he sent a strong jolt up the chain link with a wave of his hand.

The chain link bridge jerked Anakin down through it and hanging upside down like a prize catch. Save that as he fell Anakin swept his lightsaber blade along his legs and destroyed the chain link bindings and he plummeted downward head first to the fighting circle below.

Anakin barely had time to recover his bearings, not really needing them since he had the Force but he could feel the sharp pulls on the tapestry of the Force around him and knew that Bastion was approaching rapidly in an attempt to end this as soon as possible.

Bastion suddenly appeared in view behind Anakin and began a series of sharp jabs and sweeps meant to strike at Anakin as he plummeted. Anakin turned his body in mid fall as he parried the first strikes with grunts of effort.

“Did I tell you I sparred with Count Dooku right before he left the Order?” Bastion asked as the floor loomed ahead of them but both Jedi were intent on their attacks and parries. Neither wanting to give ground and both seeking that one opening that would grant them victory.

“What?” Anakin replied in surprise.

They landed on the floor nearly soundlessly, Anakin rolling tightly after Bastion who cart wheeled backwards sweeping his lightsaber up around him like a shield as he tried to find a place to stop and make his stand. Anakin true to his Shien form was not giving his foe a moment of rest. Press, batter, crush, overpower these were the stratagems of Shien and Anakin was well on his way to becoming a master of it.

Bastion decided in an instant what options were left to him and stopped suddenly on a dime, kipping up and slashing out in a sharp stabbing motion while sweeping the floor before him with his left foot.

Anakin nearly skidded to a halt he had been so close on the retreating Jedi’s heels that the momentum nearly carried him into Bastion’s blade. Anakin stared down at the green blade tip that hummed aggressively for a moment then looked up at his friend, the first drops of sweat had swelled on his eyebrows now dropped to the floor with a quiet plop.

Anakin smiled.

“That’s the Anakin I remember.” Bastion noted and promptly closed the gap between them to mere inches as he drove his blade forcefully into Anakin’s defenses. Anakin immediately realized what Bastion’s gambit was and laughed. Someone he could enjoy fighting without having to die.

Bastion had closed the distance to nothing, hoping to rob Anakin of the one advantage a Shien fighter needed to apply his skills with optimum proficiency. Anakin needed room to wind up his wide sweeping powerful blows and Bastion was robbing him of that room, risking an engagement this close to their defense where only prescience and the will of the Force could help him.

It was a hell of a gamble.

“You audacious bastard.” Anakin chuckled and their dance grew louder and more intense as green and blue blades clashed against each other in a rapid dance. Anakin drove Bastion back to the edge of the fighting circle.

“Tell me about your fight with Dooku.” Anakin demanded as their blades locked for a moment.

Bastion smiled grimly.

“Three passes.”

Anakin did not want to look puzzled.

Bastion shouted in a war cry and let loose a rapid flurry of jabs towards Anakin’s face. At the close quarters they were fighting Anakin had virtually no room for error and was forced back by the sudden offensive stance of his opponent.

“It…lasted precisely…three passes…before he handed…me my...ass.” Bastion huffed as he worked his blade around trying desperately to sneak in under or over Anakin’s defenses as he pressed in closer. They could feel each other’s breath as they traded rapid blows, some moves too fast for the eye to follow.

Bastion suddenly pivoted hard on his right foot and Anakin instantly felt his intent and tried to cut in to the right and block his movement while swiping out at Bastion’s left hand. Bastion’s lightsaber jumped from Bastion’s left hand to his right in a fluid snap of his wrist. The lightsaber traveled the short distance between hands and right over Anakin’s blow as Bastion switched hands and stances in one maneuver.

He caught the lightsaber and whipped it down in a darting motion. Anakin was turning hard on his right foot as he spat “One day you’ll lose your hand pulling that little stunt.” Punctuating his point Anakin’s blade missed Bastion’s outstretched right hand by a hairsbreadth as Bastion brought his blade up in an uppercut jab to Anakin’s face.

Anakin twisted his torso and allowed the blade to pass inches from his nose as he delivered a hammer kick to Bastion’s exposed stomach.

“The only one whose even remotely fast enough to take my hand is you Anakin and you wouldn’t do that to a friend would you?” Bastion gasped as he tried to catch his breath and footing after the kick.

Anakin smirked.

“You may be my friend but your lesson is lost on me today. So you lost to Dooku in three passes, I lost my arm to him on Geonosis. I fail to see the point.” Anakin jabbed his lightsaber at Bastion as he advanced.

Bastion frowned.

“Ok, let me spell it out for you.” Bastion collected his strength and summoned the Force to him. Anakin felt the surge around him and collected himself for the attack. Bastion launched himself forward in a high arcing leap, spinning the blade before him like a shield. Anakin parried each blow as they clashed in an increasingly furious and fast series of strikes. Bastion was gasping loudly with each blow as the last vestiges of his strength were poured into the attack.

“No matter what happens Anakin, no matter how hard you try.” Bastion explained as he spun in an intricate series of jabbing feints, each one Anakin saw for what it was and waited for his moment when the Jedi would let his defenses drop for the attack. “No matter how strong you arte in the Force or how hard you trained.” Bastion suddenly sprang up above Anakin and brought his saber down hard on Anakin’s head. Anakin parried hard and whipped his saber down after the strike and as Bastion landed behind him for the killing stroke Anakin’s blade flashed directly under his chin, a mere centimeter away.

Bastion looked down at the blade, sweat slicked his hair and his breath came in rapid shallow exhalations. He smiled up at Anakin.

“There’s always someone better than yourself.” He finished and bowed his head to the victor.

“How sage of you my friend.”

“I’m glad you agree. Now if only I could be a Master without training some snot nosed padawan.” Bastion sighed.

Anakin smiled evilly.

“You’re still not getting out of it.”

Bastion’s face melted into mock outrage.

“I yielded. That’s all that’s required by the code.” He protested bitterly.

Anakin shook his head emphatically.

“You know the deal. We both agreed long ago when we started these exercises.”

“The only reason I agreed was that I thought I could win a few every now and then being your elder. How the hell was I supposed to know you’d win every single one?”

Anakin smirked and tapped his blade up several times at Bastion.

“As the only friend who is allowed to call you Ani and never let anyone bad mouth you behind your back can you just accept the yield?”

Anakin shook his head and tapped the saber point up at him again.

“As a Scion of the Royal House of Alderaan?” Bastion implored.

“Cousin of Bail Organna, eh? Even more reason to exact full penalties for the loss.”

Bastion frowned.

“Bail is a good man you know. Padme could not better than him. She would be a queen.”

Anakin shook his head.

“Have a care old friend. Padme is not meant for him.”

“and just whom is she meant for?” Bastion asked curiously.

“You’re not going to distract me, scion of Alderaan. Now assume the position.”

Bastion sighed as he stood ramrod straight and opened his tunic exposing his chest. He braced himself. “You do realize we’re getting too old for this.” He grumbled.

Anakin took great relish as he whipped his saber around and struck Bastion hard in the center of his chest.

“OOOOWWWWWW!!!!!” Bastion exclaimed in pain and began hopping around alternating legs as he tried to dance the pain that flared along his chest away. Anakin laughed as he extinguished his blade and adjusted his blade intensity back to full. It would do him no good to suddenly find himself in combat with only the ability to stun his opponents painfully.

Bastion was still dancing around the fighting circle.

“Oh you big baby.”

“Easy for you to say you’ve never felt this.”

“And I intend to never do.” Anakin laughed. It came easily now, his smile though cautious was warmer and broader. Bastion stopped dancing and started laughing softly.

“I knew there was a smile under all of that brooding.”

“Thank you.” Anakin replied seriously.

“I figured you needed a good laugh. That’s what I’m here for. Strong am I with the wit.”

“But not that strong…you still owe me the second part of the penalty.”

Bastion froze in mid laugh.

“You’re serious?”

Anakin nodded.

“We REALLY are getting too old for the second part. We’ve…developed since we were younglings you know.”

“Indeed.”

“And the temple is full of women.”

“Just don’t form any attachments then.”

“Very funny.” Bastion replied wanly.

The Jedi Library was a somber quiet retreat for the students. Here they could study in silence and solitude pouring over texts older than some civilizations. Some of the greatest works of poetry and literature sat on the shelves alongside holocrons of Jedi Manuals and Histories.

Several older Jedi were sitting at their tables scanning documents and holoscapes with studious interest. Some of the nocturnal younglings were also doing their own research ranging from lightsaber forms and construction to philosophical discourses on the Jedi Way.

A loud whoop broke the silence. The sound of running bare feet boomed through the somber stacks of holocrons.

Bastion raced down the center aisle completely naked. Nudging himself with Force propelled speed he was nearly a blur as he whipped by the small gathering of students and Jedi and vanished down the exit on the other side.

The Librarian shook her head gravely as one of the older Jedi glanced up from his holocron.

“Bastion lost another duel with Skywalker?” he asked in a bored tone.

“Those boys are getting too old for such nonsense.” She clucked.

Count Dooku was expressionless as he batted aside Sev’Rance’s overhead strike and swept past her in a blur of motion. She snaked around to keep her crimson blade before him, feet agilely dancing in time with the Sith lord’s movements.

“Your work with Captain Picard has been exemplary Sev’Rance. He is beginning to trust you I think.”

“Such were your orders my lord.” She replied coolly as she blocked a quick jab to her throat and danced backwards in a flourish of parries as he pressed forward. He moved with a grace and speed that belied his age. Dooku carried his power like a cloak around him as he advanced on her. She had come to the very quick conclusion early in their relationship that she would not want to face him in true combat.

He was dangerous in so many ways.

“You will continue to engender yourself to him. We need him as a powerful ally in the coming days. Lord Sidious and I have plans for this Federation but they will need to bleed for us.”

“They will do what needs to be done after we’ve finished with them. They like the Separatists are now ours.” Sev’Rance replied with an almost erotic glee.

Dooku’s remained expressionless but his eyes narrowed on his young apprentice. He swept in a low striking attack. She immediately brought her blade down in an elegant sweeping defense but that was not Dooku’s intended target. He reached out with a grasping hand and suddenly plucked Sev’Rance bodily off of her feet and pinned her to the wall.

Sev’Rance knew better than to struggle. She looked into his eyes with her own glowing red eyes.

“Never assume you are on the same level as Lord Sidious or I. You are my apprentice at my pleasure. I can change my mind at any moment, Sev'Rance.”

“Of course, my lord.” She replied quietly.

“Do you have any designs on this starship captain aside from my own?” he asked pointedly, grasping her long elegant neck tighter and pulling her face closer to his as if it would make a difference when he peered deeper into her eyes.

“None, my lord. Your will is mine. You knew this the moment I became your apprentice.” She protested.

Dooku smiled finally and it was a cold superior thing. Sev’Rance liked it better when he remained passive and expressionless.

“The War will require more from all of us I am afraid my dear Sev’Rance and this may mean certain sacrifices. Picard may be one of those sacrifices. After all a man that noble will ultimately question what needs to be done.”

“He will not stand idly by when he starts to suspect something is wrong.”

“How soon do you think it will be, Sev’Rance before they start to see that they are slaughtering their heroes and legends and there is no end in sight. How soon before good men must stop slaughtering the righteous?”

“Rather philosophical question my lord. I prefer to think of it in more realistic terms.”

Dooku raised his eyebrows slightly in a welcoming gesture for her to continue her thought.

“How soon before they start speaking to each other?” She asked.

Dooku nodded and suddenly released his grip on her.

“Quite right Sev’Rance, quite right. I knew there was a reason why I needed you by my side instead of that Asaj Ventress woman.”

“She has all the subtlety of a rampaging Rancor, my lord. The best you can hope from her is that she might bring a few Jedi down with her in a blaze of glory. I on the other hand embrace the Sith ideals you hold dear and only wish to serve you for your greater glory.”

“And I suspect for your own future glory as well?” Dooku chided her gently with an uplifted eyebrow as he turned slowly back towards his private meditation chambers. His eyes caught the insistent blinking transmission light on his desk.

“I only take the Glory you offer me.” She bowed he head deeply.

Dooku regarded her for a long moment bowing before him. She was graceful and elegant but within her beat the heart of a warrior, savage and keen. She would make an awesome apprentice. For a moment the vision of her in a deep green swamp surrounded by foliage and mist as the blue blade of a Jedi Knight advanced on her. She stood defiantly crimson saber held up over her head.

What did it mean?

Whom would she face?

He did not want to admit that he would miss her if she were gone.

“Continue to serve me as you have Sev’Rance and you will have more glory than you know what to do with. For now stay close to Picard and it will be up to you and Grievous to keep them from talking to each other.”

Sev’Rance barely hid the distaste that crossed her features when he mentioned Grievous. The Cyborg Droid General was a walking abomination in her eyes.

“Be mindful Sev’Rance, sometimes we must work with what we despise in order to achieve our goals.”

“Of course my lord.” She bowed again.

“Leave me.”

Sev’Rance snapped her saber up in a salute and extinguished it in a smooth motion as she clipped it to her belt. She began to leave, respectful and quiet as Dooku approached the transmitter. His finger paused over the transmission switch when he paused and looked after her.

“Sev’Rance.”

“My Lord?” She replied curiously.

“Everyone is expendable in this mission. Everyone. Do not test that edict.”

“I live to serve you my lord. Everything else is simply…a distraction.”

“See to it that it never becomes more than that.” Dooku intoned with an edge to his soft as silk voice.

Sev’Rance inclined her head respectfully as she exited the chamber.

Speaking of being expendable, Dooku tripped the transmission switch and the form of his Master, Darth Sidious sprang up into view above him. The pale blue light of the holographic image illuminated Dooku like a ghost. Sidious looked down at his disciple and smiled.

“You have done well, Lord Tyrannus. The Federations are nearly ready to be set upon each other.”

“Your vision has always has been correct, my lord. However the concern that I have is that these factions will try to reach out to each other. They are diplomats and explorers first before they are warriors.”

“Think you that such concerns were not addressed by my plan, Lord Tyrnannus.” Sidious gently chided. Dooku was puzzled. His master must be in a good mood. Rare in these dark days but he would take them when they came.

“All will be accounted for, this young Federation that I have in my palm is strong and impulsive, much like a young Jedi Knight we both know.”

Dooku’s eyes narrowed. Always with Skywalker. His master seemed obsessed with the boy. Dooku had taught the impetuous whelp a lesson on Geonosis he would not soon forget and more importantly sent a strong message to his master. As powerful as Skywalker was Dooku was a master of the Dark side and would always defeat the young willful Jedi. There could be no other pretenders before him.

“They will become more powerful when their hatred gives them focus and terrible purpose. They will not want to talk. They will want to slaughter their future.”

“On what basis?” Dooku asked cautiously.

Sidious smiled and it even chilled Dooku’s blood.

“Prepare your forces for a sneak attack, Tyrannus. Make sure the flagship of the Federation is assigned to this mission and it is time we give the Mandalorians what they have been clamoring for since Geonosis.”

Dooku waited patiently. His Master so adored these rhetorical games.

“Jedi Blood.” Sidious cackled softly. The hologram switched off leaving Dooku in the shadows of his meditation chamber.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1st post.

Damn, the Bastian/Anakin fight was excellant.

Sev'rance and Dooku was quite good to but not in the same league as force speeding through the temple naked. :D
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Very nice Stravo, very nice. The Anakin/Bastion sparring was well-written and the aftermath had me laughing. I also liked how you addressed the issue of Assaj Ventress. I eagerly anticipate your next chapter good sir! :)
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Interesting. I don't suppose General Echu Shin Jon (I probably spelled that wrong) will make an appearance in this fic?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Very nice Stravo, even if THE MACK DADDY didn't feature.

By the way; I think it's spelled as Cin Drallig, i.e. Nic(k) Gillard spelt backwards. :wink:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Nice chapter. It brings more light to the relations between characters.

And I was never under the impression that Bastion was old enough to be Dooku's sparring partner before it left the Jedi order.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Comosicus wrote:Nice chapter. It brings more light to the relations between characters.

And I was never under the impression that Bastion was old enough to be Dooku's sparring partner before it left the Jedi order.
Bastion's about 4-5 years older than Anakin and unless I'm mistaken Dooku left during the TPM Menace era pegging Bastion at about 13 at the time making him old enough to have practiced with the old saber instructor.

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Oh dear. I can already guess what's going to happen to poor old Bastion- I can also, unfortunately, guess that it's going to be nastier than I can guess.

*Cough*SubliminalmessagemoreMatrixVs.Termiefic*Cough*
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I echo the comments about the Anakin Bastion Scene. You aren't going to convince me that there is any chance of Anakin staying good though. :D
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

Love that BastionvsAnakin scene.
Will Tann get killed while preparing those super-vehicles, the disruptors or something like that.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Stravo you magnificnt barstard, I salute you.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Must read quicky.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton